Home Forums Deep Space Salvage Yard Heresy War New Heresy War Trailer

• This topic has 0 voices and 17 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

sscadmin

When I saw the new trailer to Heresy War I had this look on my face 😮

C0mas and the rest of Dream Builder Studios is putting together a nice game and I cannot wait to get my hands on the MP demo coming to us shortly. And if you haven’t played there SP demo (which is about a year old) you will see the improvements to the game engine. C0mas was talking to me about all the work they have done to the engine and you can definitely see the results, great job and enjoy the trailer….

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW9A7QnkCYQ[/youtube]

sscadmin

Any thoughts?

PINBACK

Awsome vid,always been in two minds about the multy coloured look of space,but I do like the

look here.Looks like theres some good asteriods belts in there. 😀

sscadmin

You can really notice the difference between the two trailers and the details that were added. Can’t wait to see what we can do with the engine in a modding sense.

Shant

This game looks wicked. When is it slated for release?

sscadmin

More than likely next year. C0mas said we could expect the Multi-Player demo hopefully by the end of the year. Not sure if that time table is still valid, going to be contacting them shortly to see if there is any updates.

Shant

Will have to try the demo. How will it work with my 360 controller? Do you need to use the mouse?

sscadmin

Well you can play the SP demo right now it is a little dated but still you will get a feel for the type of game it is. I played with the mouse I don’t have a controller for my PC so I don’t know.

As you can see from some of the screenshots the SP demo has older graphics than the newer updates in the pics. So do try it out and give feedback the HW team always looking for feedback.

c0mas just PM’d me and said that he cannot promise anything but they hope to have a MP demo done before the end of the year and it might be small selected few people that will get to play it if it isn’t widely released… i’ll see if I can get c0mas to be nice to SSC and give some members spot. Can’t promise anything…

c0mas

I’m always nice 😉

Shant

Oh yeah? Then give me total controller support. That would be very nice of you. 🙂

c0mas

🙂 There should be controller support. What do you mean by “total controller support” ?

Shant

I guess the short answer is everything just works. 😀

Most flight sims only offer a very basic, limited support for controllers. Basically the buttons will be mapped to something, but it will be incapable of swapping what you can do with the left/right trigger, or the left/right stick. Even the fairly newer ones are guilty of this. Darkstar one for instance. It actually had much better integration than most. You could re-map keys however you liked in a very easy interface. But you couldn’t do anything with the sticks. They had it set up so that the right stick controller roll. I wanted to use it for something else, couldn’t.

Another aspect is that they won’t set it up with the expressed goal of eliminating (or minimizing) the need to use the keyboard/mouse. I realize most flight sims have more commands than there are buttons on a control pad, but there are ways around that (like the incorporation of some sort of command menu ala I-war 2). I end up having to use an emulator for all my flight sims to re-assign the keys and make the triggers/sticks work right. I’m able to squeeze 33 commands onto one control pad with a little ingenuity and presto, I don’t need to use the mouse/keyboard for anything. It’s just a royal pain in the ass to do. I spent 3 hours last week designing a perfect emulation to allow me to play Starlancer with my control pad…squeezed every last command onto my 360 controller…only to find out when it was done that Starlancer wouldn’t run right on my computer. 😡

Or they’ll just leave stuff out altogether. For example, if strafing is going to be a key component in dog-fighting, why in God’s name didn’t you make it possible for me to strafe with my controller?? 😡 😡

I could go on and on mate.

So be nice. 😎

c0mas

Have you tried Freespace ? It had one of the most flexible control schema … but it was made way before xBox … so it might not support 360 controller.

About HW, the 360 controller was one of the reasons we have implemented the xInput (unfortunately this was done after we’ve released the demo in 2008). Also we plan to have a customizable interface for every input … and so, hopefully, we will please most of the players.

However, as a hardcore spacesim player, I recommend a flight stick with force feedback and rudder and at least one HAT.

Shant

Yeah one of these days I’ll have to try a flight stick. Unfortunately I’ve been on consoles since Atari 2600, and been using absolutely nothing but control pads since we got our NES..20 years ago. 😮

Yeah, I’ve got Freespace 2. The controller options seem perfectly flexible but it’s the same story with the controller. It doesn’t even acknowledge the triggers, and I believe only the left stick works. Not sure about the hat. I will have to do an emulation on it, and I’m not looking forward to it. There must be 100 commands in that game, and even on my 48 ‘inch plasma, the letters are almost too small to read on the menu.

That’s great though that you guys are gonna fully integrate controllers for HWAR. May I suggest you guys try and make it possible to assign strafing/rolling (really any command) to the sticks? For some reason even games with the best integration don’t allow you to do that. Maybe because the stick is analog?? Maybe you might know why…it always puzzled me.

c0mas

In HW strafe is also analogue (even so, most of the time is mapped to a digital input) and should be no problem to map it to a stick.

Indeed, there is a reason why older games does not support 360 controllers: the old DirectInput does not recognize correctly both sticks. In order to properly use a 360 controller, you’ll need to implement xInput (and this one is newer than Freespace and perhaps than other older games). Also, some developers don’t even bother implementing it if they don’t plan a 360 port.

I really don’t know too many spacesims with real strafe (maybe some one here may help me) but both rolling and strafing should be an analogue command.

About Freespace … 🙂 I’ve played it with both keyboard+mouse and with a stick … and most of the time I’ve used just a relatively small number of controls …

P.S. There was a game that didn’t played without a controller: XWing Alliance (with quite some interesting and challenging missions).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.