Home Forums Space/SciFi Combat and Simulation Game Discussion UniVoyager NovaVoyager – General Info, News, Videos & Links

Viewing 67 reply threads

• Author
      Caleb
      Participant

logo.png

Hi, i’ve discovered this game a month ago and really looks great! (For MacOS, iOS, Windows & Android)

1.jpg

Cockpit View

6.jpg

External View

You can see more info in these sites:

Videos:

Developer Blog:

Fanatical - Official PC Game Keys

Pinback
      Participant

Great Find Caleb will be definitely following this one :good:

Just looked at the other video on Youtube, this take off is the one I have always wanted to be able to do in one of these games since I first saw the runways in Frontier. 😎 😎

Caleb
      Participant

Yeah, really looks great, i’ve talked with the Developer and he is a lovely person 🙂

Hope we can see this game someday 😀

Pinback
      Participant

Yeah, really looks great, i’ve talked with the Developer and he is a lovely person 🙂

Hope we can see this game someday 😀

I see by his status page that he will have an Alpha out soon on the Mac although it looks the rest of us will have to wait till next summer.

Do you know if he has any future plans for getting out of the ship?.

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

I’m inpressed that this engine is all homegrown and it has slipped under everyone’s nose unnoticed for this long 🙂

I hope the porting over process of the game goes well from Mac/IOS. I will try to contact the dev soon and see if he needs a forum area to discuss his game.

Caleb
      Participant
      Pinback
      Participant

A very nice alternative to Elite Dangerous as long it not online.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

A very nice alternative to Elite Dangerous as long it not online.

I asked the dev that very question on Indie DB. Once I get a reply I will post their response. Looks great by the way. :girlcrazy:

EDIT: Update with the reply: “First releases of NV will not support multiplayer. I’ll add this feature later on.

NV will be distributed on iOS/Mac app stores and hopefully steam for Win/Mac. Asap I’ll have also a Greenlight page ;)”

I also provided a link back to this thread for the dev to follow, so you never know they might drop by themselves with more info.

Caleb
      Participant

Added the first blog post in the first message 🙂

Damiano
      Participant

Hi to All!

Thanks to everyone for the nice thread! 🙂

Here I am finally, happy to be part of this awesome portal! 

The reason you are hearing about Nova Voyager only recently is that I have been so busy that had no time to post any news and screenshots.

I am happy to see that there is this web space in which you are talking about the game of my dreams, where I spent a lot of nights coding and going crazy! 😉

I support whatever choice you will make regarding the creation of spaces for discussion of NV.

In fact I do not have time for now to manage a forum at novavoyager.com. You guys are helping me a lot.

If you have any question, comment, critics all are welcome 😉

Damiano

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

There you are Damiano! :girlcrazy:  Welcome to the SSC

Pinback
      Participant

Welcome to the forums Damiano.

Even at this early stage the game looks great 😎 and as I said above that landing/Take off is some thing I always wanted to do, will some of the ships be able to take off vertically as well horizontally.

couple of other questions for.

Any plans to let the player out of the cockpit or drive around on the surface of the planet.

also will their be any manual docking at the space station as in X2.

Look forward to seeing the PC version but as I understand it, it won’t be until next summer.

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Hi Damiano

See someone got you over here before I contacted you… 😉

If you want a forum area on SSC to discuss your game with the community you just have to say the word. This is just a free service SSC does for all developers to help them get their word out about their great game projects they are working on and we can never have enough of them. SSC has a download area too so if you make a public alpha/beta or demo or full game you can upload it here and we will host it no problem. Your in good company here, there is a whole station full of space game enthusiasts and developers here.

So welcome and looking forward to watching Nova Voyager turn into a released game.

-D1-

Damiano
      Participant

Welcome to the forums Damiano.

Even at this early stage the game looks great  😎 and as I said above that landing/Take off is some thing I always wanted to do, will some of the ships be able to take off vertically as well horizontally.

Yes, I will show it on the next video, this evening 😉

Any plans to let the player out of the cockpit or drive around on the surface of the planet.

also will their be any manual docking at the space station as in X2.

No plans for now for the player to go out of the cockpit. But will probably do it in the future.

With your spaceship you can go wherever you want already now, by driving around or flying

The docking is always fully manual also on space stations. In some you will land like in normal airports in other you have to enter inside the deck and softly land manually 🙂

Look forward to seeing the PC version but as I understand it, it won’t be until next summer.

Yes, I am receiving a lot of requests from windows users. Maybe I’ll give the priority to this.

Many are also asking why I started on Mac/iOS. The answer is that with Mac everything is easy and fast and you can deeply focus on your work, moreover I have also the opportunity to enter in the iOS market.

Focusing on mobile at the start of a project helps also to make a good base code design since you need to save resources. 😉

Damiano
      Participant

If you want a forum area on SSC to discuss your game with the community you just have to say the word. This is just a free service SSC does for all developers to help them get their word out about their great game projects they are working on and we can never have enough of them. SSC has a download area too so if you make a public alpha/beta or demo or full game you can upload it here and we will host it no problem. Your in good company here, there is a whole station full of space game enthusiasts and developers here.

So welcome and looking forward to watching Nova Voyager turn into a released game.

-D1-

Hi and heartfelt thanks for hosting me! 🙂

Yes, please! 😉 It would be very nice and helpful to have a forum area here.

This is also going to be the official NV forum in english so I’ll put a link on that on the novavoyager website.

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

All set, with your new forum area any new posts you create will be seen on the mainpage as well so more exposure for Nova Voyager and of course welcome to SSC… no messing with the cleaning bots on the station they have a big job cleaning up after this crew of space travellers 🙂

But back on topic.

Are you working on iOS first and then Android or are you working on them at the same time? And on the controls are you going for using a on screen thumbstick controls at the edges of the screen? I have tried games that use the whole motion sensor in the table and I feelfunny moving the tablet every which way to play a game 🙂

CaptainKalCaptainKal
      Participant

Welcome aboard Damiano. The game looks very nice. (Although I do not know if I can playi it with my 1st generation iPad).

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

The only thing that should restrict you CaptianKal should be hardware since you can update to any iOS right? I know on android I just unlock and install whichever modded firmware I want on my tablet and its like 4yrs old and I can play the latest games. If anything I think your only issue will be memory management I have seen diving into this you can run any game usually if you shutdown certain automatic features and close unused apps. I am sure Damiano will test on some older hardware in that simulator you can use for tablets.

Damiano
      Participant

All set, with your new forum area any new posts you create will be seen on the mainpage as well so more exposure for Nova Voyager and of course welcome to SSC… no messing with the cleaning bots on the station they have a big job cleaning up after this crew of space travellers 🙂

I need a cleaning bot on my room too lol 😀

Ok that will help a lot! Thanks again! 🙂

Are you working on iOS first and then Android or are you working on them at the same time? And on the controls are you going for using a on screen thumbstick controls at the edges of the screen? I have tried games that use the whole motion sensor in the table and I feelfunny moving the tablet every which way to play a game  🙂

Yes, I am working on iOS/MacOSX now. Portings will be done at first for Windows and then at last Android. The source code is in standard c++ so hopefully I’ll just need to create the wrappers for the device/sounds/input etc. I will use SDL to speed up the porting.

On portable devices both the control options (virtual stick and/or accelerometer) will be present. I’ll test and probably add also a very nice control mode that uses both functions in which the accelerometer is the head tracking 🙂

Damiano
      Participant

Welcome aboard Damiano. The game looks very nice. (Although I do not know if I can playi it with my 1st generation iPad).

Thank you!   🙂

Unfortunately not, the iPad1 hw is not enough fast to run NV 🙁

Minimum requirements for iOS will be probably iPhone 5, iPad4 or iPad Mini Retina

Pinback
      Participant

Yes, I am receiving a lot of requests from windows users. Maybe I’ll give the priority to this.

Many are also asking why I started on Mac/iOS. The answer is that with Mac everything is easy and fast and you can deeply focus on your work, moreover I have also the opportunity to enter in the iOS market.

Like to see it but only do it if it does not interfere with you planed development of the game.

Any thoughts on mining?.

CaptainKalCaptainKal
      Participant

The only thing that should restrict you CaptianKal should be hardware since you can update to any iOS right? I know on android I just unlock and install whichever modded firmware I want on my tablet and its like 4yrs old and I can play the latest games.

Since the minimum requirement calls for an iPad 4, I think that I could not play the game even if I updated to the latest IOS. (Besides iOs gaming has become a free to play/pay to win nonsense). So I will wait for the Windows version. (Or Android. I can play some Android games on my PC using Bluestacks)

Caleb
      Participant
      Damiano
      Participant

Any thoughts on mining?.

Not yet, but it can be a nice feature to add. I’ll probably have to modify the planet surface routines to support dynamic terrain meshes.

Damiano
      Participant

Since the minimum requirement calls for an iPad 4, I think that I could not play the game even if I updated to the latest IOS. (Besides iOs gaming has become a free to play/pay to win nonsense). So I will wait for the Windows version. (Or Android. I can play some Android games on my PC using Bluestacks)

I am sorry for this, but even on an iPad3 that I own I had to decrease a lot the meshes resolution in order to run at a playable speed. I’ll do my best to do the windows porting asap.

Damiano
      Participant

EDIT: First message edited 🙂

Awesome post that reassumes all the work done so far. Thanks a lot Caleb, very appreciated.

Pinback
      Participant

Awesome that 😎 and I was not expecting to see the little bounce on the landing gear at the end of the video. 😎 😎

This beg the question will we see different types of star port on different types of planets ie planets with hostile environments or airless worlds/moons were a vertical landing needs to be done as in the moon base from 2001.

CaptainKalCaptainKal
      Participant

Nice video!! Like a real Harrier (or a F-35B)  :pilot: . But I thought Nothern Italy had more trees!!!!  😀

Damiano
      Participant

This beg the question will we see different types of star port on different types of planets ie planets with hostile environments or airless worlds/moons were a vertical landing needs to be done as in the moon base from 2001.

Yes, there will be different asteroids/moons/planets with different gravity and atmospheric conditions. I am now working on several different types of starports. You’ll have to land according to the runway type, vertically or like a normal airplane. Sometimes also space stations have a runway and also on planets without atmosphere you can land like an airplane because the automatic navigation mode activates the thrusters to simulate drag helping to maintain the direction.

I am now focusing on the quality of the runway models, I am now working with a friend that is going to help me in this phase. It’s difficult also because I have to insert many different models otherwise you are going to see often runways and stations duplicates in different planets.

My idea anyway is to use in the next future procedural algorithms for everything, stations, runways and cities streets will be randomly created on the fly later on. 🙂

Damiano
      Participant

Nice video!! Like a real Harrier (or a F-35B)  :pilot: . But I thought Nothern Italy had more trees!!!!  😀

It’s the effect of the global warming in the year 3015 lol 😀

Btw trees will not be included in the first release but it’s definitely something I need to add later. 😉

Pinback
      Participant

I am now focusing on the quality of the runway models, I am now working with a friend that is going to help me in this phase. It’s difficult also because I have to insert many different models otherwise you are going to see often runways and stations duplicates in different planets.

Will you be adding parking areas to the runways that craft will move to after landing.

How big will the cities be as in a lot of these games the cities often look small, IIRC the only one I have seen which looked right was in a video for infinity from a few years ago.

Damiano
      Participant

Will you be adding parking areas to the runways that craft will move to after landing.

How big will the cities be as in a lot of these games the cities often look small, IIRC the only one I have seen which looked right was in a video for infinity from a few years ago.

Yes, Airports and Starports will have parking spots.

Cities will be small at first because I am creating them with a random displacement of buildings.

Btw my idea is to make something different for the cities in future versions. I’ll use a deformable mesh to create procedural buildings and streets. This will give the full control over the number of polygons and allow the creation of big cities.

Damiano
      Participant
      sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Fixed your vid Damiano so it displays in thread (note: drop everything after the video code in the url)

Now on to the landings, these are nice and I like how you calculate damage. Now will the gear be able to handle a ship coming in fast or will it possibly fail on touching a surface depending on atmospheric temps?

Pinback
      Participant

Great vid 😎 😎

Yes, Airports and Starports will have parking spots.

Have you thought about doing different types of starports for different technology levels, as an example a colony world which has been newly settled would have a rough landing strip with banked earthen blast walls around the parking bays and a long settled world with a high technology level would have high tec futurist airport setting.

Damiano
      Participant

Fixed your vid Damiano so it displays in thread (note: drop everything after the video code in the url)

Now on to the landings, these are nice and I like how you calculate damage. Now will the gear be able to handle a ship coming in fast or will it possibly fail on touching a surface depending on atmospheric temps?

Ok sorry for that, I’ll keep in mind for future posts. 🙂

You mean temperature? Currently temperature and pressure affect the hull and landing gears and can damage and destroy your spaceship if you stay too long in a dangerous zone (like the sun or within the atmosphere of gas giant or planets like venus). Anyway currently temperature does not affect the friction of the wheels touching the ground. Maybe I will consider also this condition in the future.

If you arrive fast the landing gear supports you according to the vertical impact you are having. I mean if your vertical speed is within 10m/s then no problem 😉 You have just to pay attention to not go over the runway because the terrain outside is not flat and can damage the ship.

OFFTOPIC I had a developers forum on spacesimulator.net until 2013, I was using phpbb3 but had to close it because it needed a lot of maintenance (updates, spammers, etc.). Very nice the work you all are doing here. Gorgeous forum your one, it is like a social networks full of features!

Damiano
      Participant

Great vid 😎 😎

Have you thought about doing different types of starports for different technology levels, as an example a colony world which has been newly settled would have a rough landing strip with banked earthen blast walls around the parking bays and a long settled world with a high technology level would have high tec futurist airport setting.

Yes that’s a super nice idea. 😉  It will need a lot of work on models anyway and maybe first releases will now include so many different starports, but I will do the best as I can!

Pinback
      Participant

It’s an idea from the role playing game Traveller with the blast walls around a parking bays, few picture here from the internet as an example of them.

parkbays_zpsabc80457.jpg

class-d_zpsd0e7f843.jpg

40-scoutdownportberth1_zps890fa97c.jpg

The top and bottom one show a vertical pad with the middle one having a runway. 

Damiano
      Participant

It’s an idea from the role playing game Traveller with the blast walls around a parking bays, few picture here from the internet as an example of them.

[…]

The top and bottom one show a vertical pad with the middle one having a runway. 

Yes, very nice. Do you think it is better that some sort of moving floor moves the spaceship to the parking area or the player have to move manually the ship by himself?

Pinback
      Participant

Yes, very nice. Do you think it is better that some sort of moving floor moves the spaceship to the parking area or the player have to move manually the ship by himself?

I say it would depend on the technology level of the planet, if its a colony or low tec world then the player would have to taxi themselves to the parking bays. High tec industrial rich planets or moon bases would be more automated, the player may still have to taxi the ship to specific area then some sort of robot platform could take the ship to the bay where it would be connected to the ports facilities.

Damiano
      Participant

New video 🙂

http://youtu.be/ir1peG-160c

Caleb
      Participant

Thanks Damiano! First message updated :))

Damiano
      Participant

Thanks Damiano! First message updated :))

Great! I am wondering if it’s better to invert the video ordering so to put the latest on the top. What do you think? 🙂

Pinback
      Participant

Great video Damiano 😎 just get more impressive every time you show a new video :good:

One thing I would pick out is the radar in the cockpit looks a bit 2D might be wrong about this as it’s hard to see?, but if it is have you thought about replacing it with the Elite type radar.

Also will you see the reentry heat shield about the ship as it enter the planets atmosphere an example of what I am on about here from the Tomorrow War game

HEATSHILD2.jpg

you also saw it when you were inside the cockpit.

Also do you intent the ships to use fuel?.

Damiano
      Participant

Great video Damiano 😎 just get more impressive every time you show a new video :good:

Thank you 🙂 the next series will be focused on seamless transfers (orbit, space stations and other planets and stars)

One thing I would pick out is the radar in the cockpit looks a bit 2D might be wrong about this as it’s hard to see?, but if it is have you thought about replacing it with the Elite type radar.

Yes that’s a thing to improve. Actually the NV radar is a projection on what you actually have on the main screen, it doesn’t include distance info.

Even if the ED 3D radar is stunning I would prefer to use a radar like the Colony Wars one.

The problem with the radar in NV is that I should implement an autoranging function since distances can vary a lot. If you select a distant planet as a target the radar shows it together with nearest objects. That thing could be easily managed using a radar like the one in this video http://youtu.be/KLlwfYwKBm0?t=3m41s

I’ll also implement a mode in which only nearest objects will move inside the sphere, distant ones will be on the sphere surface.

Also will you see the reentry heat shield about the ship as it enter the planets atmosphere an example of what I am on about here from the Tomorrow War game you also saw it when you were inside the cockpit.

Yes already implemented.

https://www.facebook.com/NovaVoyager/photos/pb.432611460216813.-2207520000.1417170709./525703860907572/?type=3&theater

Also do you intent the ships to use fuel?.

Yes, maybe I’ll include also another type of fuel for warp engines.

Caleb
      Participant

Now we can vote the Indie of the Year!

If you have IndieDB/ModDB/SlideDB or Desura account (Same Login)… vote for Nova Voyager !!

Just enter in the Nova Voyager Profile and vote!!!

Damiano
      Participant

Now we can vote the Indie of the Year!

If you have IndieDB/ModDB/SlideDB or Desura account (Same Login)… vote for Nova Voyager !!

Just enter in the Nova Voyager Profile and vote!!!

Hey great! 🙂 At this point I need to publish the new videos series asap!  😉

Caleb
      Participant

Post Updated with the last vid!

Caleb
      Participant

Hahaha Thanks for the update Damiano! 😀

Caleb
      Participant

Thanks for the new video Damiano!

I love the 0.5g idea in the space stations for dock! :)))

Damiano
      Participant

Thanks for the new video Damiano!

I love the 0.5g idea in the space stations for dock! :)))

Yes it’s very useful, challenging and funny! 🙂

Caleb
      Participant

Updated and translated! 🙂

Pinback
      Participant

Any news?

Damiano
      Participant

Any news?

Hi Pinback, Sorry for the long time of silence. I was busy at work. More info here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/nova-voyager/news/some-updates21

I have just finished the main menu with the peripherals/graphics and sounds configuration. This is an important step in order to be able to release the very first public alpha. 😀

Here some screenshots:

novavoyager_menu.jpg

CaptainKalCaptainKal
      Participant

Well done Damiano. Getting a new job is always good news!!!!

Pinback
      Participant

Aye well done on the job front Damiano are you still on target for the Mac release?.

Damiano
      Participant

Aye well done on the job front Damiano are you still on target for the Mac release?.

Thank you Pinback and CaptainKal. 🙂

I am just deciding what to do. I have two options:

1-I can be ready to release a Mac Pre Alpha focused just on the exploration. I just have to work to refine and configure the assets: spaceships, stations, cities and planets. Time needed: One/Two Months.

2-Start to work on some sort of basic gaming adding the screens to talk with the AI players, a basic AI system for space combat and then work on the assets. The GUI system I’ve implemented is enough smart and the new screens will be done fast. The basic AI doesn’t worry me. Estimated Time: four months.

With the first option I am still on target with the time schedule. But there are some drawbacks. While it would be useful to have some sort of early feedback from pre alpha users my main fear is that they can lose interest in the game because with the exploration mode all the universe will be accessible without effort. Moreover I have no time at the moment to follow people while testing.

I am also going to buy other assets and will soon hire through odesk some 3d artist to modify some 3d models.

Pinback
      Participant

May be better to go with the second option when you have some free time to follow up on suggestions from players.

Shadowma45
      Participant

Hi was curious will there be fps or ground combat & will you be able to get out of your ship & walk around your ship?

Thanks for any info.

Shadowma

Damiano
      Participant

Hi was curious will there be fps or ground combat & will you be able to get out of your ship & walk around your ship?

Thanks for any info.

Shadowma

At the moment an fps option is no planned but will be certainly a future feature. It’s already possibile to go everywhere on the surface but only using the spaceship landing gears, currently the engine does not support characters animation. Will work on it immediately after the space sim is completed. 😉

Pinback
      Participant

How about an anti gravity motor bike to zoom around on the planet surface, could be carried by smaller ship which don’t have a big enough cargo bay for an ATV.

Damiano
      Participant

How about an anti gravity motor bike to zoom around on the planet surface, could be carried by smaller ship which don’t have a big enough cargo bay for an ATV.

Good idea 🙂 I was also thinking about little 2 and 4 wheels vehicles. The engine already supports wheels and springs physics so it is straightforward to add a feature like this 😉 Maybe I will add soon a video on this 😀

CaptainKalCaptainKal
      Participant

OK! I ‘m impressed!!!  :drinks:

Damiano
      Participant

Thanks! 

OK! I ‘m impressed!!!  :drinks:

Thanks!!  :drinks:

Pinback
      Participant

it’s been a while since we heard anything but according to the status on the site, Damiano is working on the Alpha for Mac/ISO.

Damiano
      Participant

it’s been a while since we heard anything but according to the status on the site, Damiano is working on the Alpha for Mac/ISO.

Thanks Pinback for keeping the topic alive. I am a lot busy and late with the schedule but the project is going ahead very well! I am completing the AI stuff, soon I will post an update with new screenshots and status 😉

CaptainKalCaptainKal
      Participant

Keep up the good work, Damiano!!!!  :pilot:

Pinback
      Participant

Look forward to seeing the new update. :good:

Viewing 67 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.