Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Pioneer Mods “Phoenix” Space Ships

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

• Author
    Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

Here i will link screenshots of the ships in “Phoenix” and a short description to them.

I start with the start (where else)

“Light Shuttle” (recently default “ip_shuttle”)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

“Sightseeingboat”

Adds refreshing soda spenders and some classic game cabinets for amusement to the “Light Shuttle”.

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

“Minigvessel”
    Adds something very exclusive to the “Light Shuttle”, guess what.

These three ships are exactly equal in cargo space price and performance.
    They are together with the “Lnader” the default ships to start “Phoenix” and offer

NOTHING

They are the biggest piece of junk in the galaxy and was made exclusively for you commander jameson.
    In my personal opinion they are supercool – to start with.

They are the basic ships and mission time will be planned that it is very very tight to finish a interplanetary mission successful with them.

They are really not very good and suck in fuel consumption because of the low thrust. Every additional ton of cargo is a performance hit so you have to think wisely if you really need this or that equipment because fuel is the most precious “equipment”.

You can’t fit a hyperdrive or any weapons to them they are only ment for interplanetary service.

Today i finished a scout mission with one and a half hour of reserve and i had to use up the fuel to the very last drop to be in time. This was a not urgent mission and the timespan is randomly between 1 and 1.5 times of what i calculate “one time” is already tight so urgent missions are usually not or only hardly to complete with the shuttle because they can leap down to 0.7 times. you would need a better ship to complete them. perhaps the “Talon” but it’s very expensive because of the fitted military drive (most small fighters have by default a military drive and i added half of the price to the ships price while for standard drives i discount this value to get a small price reduction for large ships compared to smaller ones (i let calculate most of the ship specs based on tables or expressions, once i found a suitable table or expression i never have to mind again about because it’s calculated from the ships mass or capacity or whatever is already given in the specs).

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

Recently the “Lander” is still fourth starting ship, i sized it down to reflect better the low capacity but it’s still to large compared to the shuttles.
    As soon as i have finished the fourth Shuttle the Container Lifter i will remove it from the starting ships add again thepossibility for a hyperdrive so that this will be most probably your first ship after the shuttles to leave the system because it will be lowest in price but therefore unarmed and with a bad performance compared to a any fighter because the lander is designed as taxi and offers the possibility to fit 5 cabins which is a lot for the low cargo capacity. the space for the cabins is reserved for them and can’t be used for cargo.

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

The “Lander” is a vessel which can be combined to a larger ship. I only use three of them to form the “Triple”. This can be an interesting ship, it offers quite a lot of cargo space and room for 17 cabins (6 for each minus one for the pilot). It’s low in price for its capacity but has the same bad performance as the Lander and will also be unarmed.

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

Let’s move to the classic ships of Pioneer manufactured by Tom Morton.
    The Ladybird is still a pretty ship, it was a sort of Cobra, it has getting smaller and smaller over the revisions and also lost a lot of capabilities. It’s not the best choice for this class (size) of ships simply due to the fact that i have a couple of ships in this class and they must have differences in handling.

It was designed as police vessel but i replced it with the “Interceptor” recently with a special static version for the cops only. It won’t be used as bulk ship because i limited the bulk ships to ships above 200 tons hull mass additionally to the type “static ship” to disable sputnik and other possible static ships like the police vessel for the player or the “Shyrkay” which is ment as a sort of beast to hunt or to protect.

It’s also still the “texmapper example” even if i moved the model to “ships_default.lua” where i collected all default ships of Phoenix. in general this won’t matter to disable/exchange them for a mod you need only to replace the ship specification scripts, fortunately it’s still possible to disable a model simply by replacing it with a empty file here (in general this is still possible in Phoenix.

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

The “Sirius Interdictor” was the Ship which was “Pioneer” when we got attracted to it. It was the starting ship and had just a to good performance.
    It’s still a very good ship, it offers quite a lot of cargo space and it’s fast as a lightning compared to other ships in this size. It’s also somewhat smaller as it was originally designed.

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

The third of totally four ships ascending in cargo capacity was the “Walrus”. It shows also how a wingpart can be moved with the LMR.
    It’s a bit a lame ship, or i designed it a bit lame. It’s a typical transporter in its specs. Rather suitable as easy target then as ship for the player.

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

The last of the four original Pioneer ships is the unique “Flowerfairy Heavy Trader”. OK that’s a ship, a large ships and it’s not much else as large.
    One of the standard ships you need at least to run Phoenix.
    At least it needs one freighter above 100 tons cargo capacity so that the Trade Ships module will work (i exchanged the filter criteria hull mass with cargo capacity for the Trade Ships module).

summarized:
    – the “ip_shuttle” (recently the “Light Shuttle) is needed to run the game as standard ship.
    – “lanner” is still fixed as ship for the ship spinner in the title screen it’s replaced with a model exchange script and displays the “Light Shuttle” instead.
    – “ladybird starfighter” is still needed as police vessel but replaced with the Interceptor and the original model os renamed to “ladybird”.
    – the “Flowerfairy Heavy Trader” you need to have at least one ship for the “Trade Ships” module.

with these four basic ships Phoenix will run. recently “ip_shuttle”, “ladybird starfighter” have fixed names and replacing ship specs must have this name (how the model is named or how it’s named in the game won’t matter, Pioneer31 only checks for the ship specs file name). For the ship to display in the title screen Phoenix checks for a model named “lanner” thus it’s exchanged in the models folder with “xxx_exchange.lua” it doesn’t need no ship specs and could be theoretically any model even a building or the pilot model. The trade ship can be recently any ship above 100 tons cargo capacity.

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

The “Rapier” was my first “script only” model i’ve made. It’s based on a detailed sketch of the ship which was also the layout for the UV mapping.
    the mapping didn’t worked out to well and from then on i decided to use a bump of the model to wavefront to create the UV projections, respectively a skin.

It’s a very nice fighter in fact the one with the best specs in the game (together with the “XF-MK I”) but costs quite a lot due to the fact that it has fitted a military drive by default to save some of the little cargo space.

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

Because i named it, the “XF – MK I”. Of course it’s a X-Wing you can’t hide this fact Gernot. But it’s scripted and based on scratch resp. out of my imagination, it looks similar but has different dimensions thus it’s imho still compliant to the licensing because it’s my work even if it’s not my idea.

However probably i will remove it from “Phoenix” and offer it as standalone ship mod. I like the ship and personally i like to see it in Phoenix.

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

Let’s move to the rest of scripted geometry i’ve made. The “Toceh” (“Gecko” or “Real Gecko”) is the cheapest fighter you can get and most probably your choice after the shuttles. It’s quite good in performance but you will get quite soon claustrophobia in it and like to move to the sister ship of the “Toceh” the “Draco”.

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

The “Draco” is one of the best ships in “Phoenix”, good performance and enough space for equipment and some cargo. It’s only beaten by the “Cyrapi MK I”. (mk 1 because a mk 2, a little larger one is already planned).
    With this ship you can complete the task to “find home to sol” in Phoenix easy.

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

Recently the “Cyrapi MK I” is my newest ship for “Phoenix”, the name is simply “piracy” because it’s losely based on the FE2 “Krait”. It’s much larger as the Krait and also different in dimensions. The Krait is similar to my “Draco” more wide as long, the “Cyrapi” is longer as wide. It has a slanted bottom which gave me some troubles to design a landing gear respectively to use my standard landing gears which are designed to be used on a flat horizontal bottom. But compared to the “Draco”, “Toceh” or “Buteo” it looks much better with the slanted bottom.

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

The “Buteo” (latin for Eagle) looks on the screenshot larger as it is, a close look will show that it’s almost the same as the “Toceh” in ship specs. Yet another Fighter to start with after the shuttles.

Unfortunately i noticed that i missed to update the ship specs of some of my scripted ships and it looks like the “Toceh”, “Draco” and “Buteo” have a to small fuel tank.
    I will have to fix this and upload the changed version of “Phoenix”.

Intentionally i liked to have the “Buteo” as what the Eagle is for FE2 before i decided to use the shuttles to start the game with.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.