Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Pioneer Alpha 15 released

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

Humble Book Bundle ends on 9/11/2019

• Author
    MarcelMarcel
    Participant

Yes, but we’re not looking at the scene directly. We’re either looking at a viewscreen or there’s some type of canopy or visor that processes the image to improve visibility and protects your eyes. And the outside view is computer generated, so there! 😛

Btw, Sol looks round on my computer.

Humble Book Bundle ends on 9/11/2019

Participant
    Marcel wrote:
    Btw, Sol looks round on my computer.

gotta be my settings then – ill have a look when i get a moment – it is round when i get closer 😉

be nice to see some sun spots now and then – rotating ?? – do the stars rotate in Pioneer? – i’ve never considered that 😳 – but with a blank texture how would we know

ill have to jet off to Sol again and have a look – should be able to tell now with textures

Participant
    Rob wrote:
    the stars seem to ‘eat’ my ship

That’s one icky side-effect of our current HDR implementation. The postprocess glow is extended bast the normal high-contrast edge. That doesn’t make sense, but its the best way I can explain it. HDR needs a lot of work – its great when it does the right thing, but terrible when it doesn’t. Try it with a brown dwarf for another example.

Participant

robn or anybody else,

i could need a comprehensive list of the new arguments used for models, that would really help, since i didn’t find such on the wiki.

actually i’m asking myself if get_arg_material() still works, i will have (again) check a existing model for that.

Participant

Did the existing model work in a contextual tense sense

Participant

definately i must have lost sense, no 😉

Participant
    potsmoke66 wrote:
    robn or anybody else,

i could need a comprehensive list of the new arguments used for models, that would really help, since i didn’t find such on the wiki.

Ahh, here’s the post I couldn’t find. I answered it here: viewtopic.php?p=23355#p23355

🙂

Participant

Good work on the new Alpha, cool cities! will need a bit more variety and some form of floor covering, but that’s already being discussed in other threads. I’m noticing a slight “problem” with delivery missions, the time available is very short. Except for in-system deliveries I haven’t found a delivery mission I could complete with the starting eagle (and no, I have not only picked the “fast delivery” missions). Is that by design? If ship capabilities now become a factor for completing delivery missions (which would make sense), it would a be a good idea to not only have distance but also eta or travel time displayed in the galaxy map (or at least a pointer at how to calculate eta, but I think such stuff should be provided by the interface directly where possible).

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

I suggested just such a thing on Git Hub in a feature request for an advanced navigational aid to help budding traders and couriers.

Participant

Journey time isn’t constant. The same journey could take a radically different amount of time. Here are some of the factors, without changing the ship at all:

[*:c666flp5]Your jump will take less time if you have a more powerful hyperdrive.

[*:c666flp5]Your jump will take more time if you are carrying cargo.

[*:c666flp5]Your flight across the destination solar system will take longer if your jump arrival is a long way from the destination starport.

[*:c666flp5]Your flight across the destination solar system will take longer if you are carrying cargo.

[*:c666flp5]Your flight across the destination solar system will take longer if you have a heavier hyperdrive.

So, it’s a little more involved than, “It will take this long.” You can make your journey times shorter by going light. An Eagle with a class 2 military drive, carrying only one tonne of fuel and no cargo, jettisoning the radioactives as soon as you’ve jumped, will probably get the best our of that ship, but then a class 1 military drive might actually make the jump quicker by simply being less massive, for jumps of a certain length. There’s also a great deal of chance involved in where you enter the system relative to your destination.

Participant

I am aware that the random hyperspace arrival makes exact predictions impossible, but I wasn’t really talking about in-system flight. Just displaying the duration of the hyperspace jump to a selected destination with the current ship configuration would be a great help and should be added sooner or later. It can stand right under the distance in the galaxy map, and I’m sure there’s not too much number-crunching involved.

Participant
    UncleBob wrote:
    I am aware that the random hyperspace arrival makes exact predictions impossible, but I wasn’t really talking about in-system flight. Just displaying the duration of the hyperspace jump to a selected destination with the current ship configuration would be a great help and should be added sooner or later. It can stand right under the distance in the galaxy map, and I’m sure there’s not too much number-crunching involved.

That’s already in there. Not under the distance, but to the right of it. It’s been there since April.

Participant

Huh? Sorry, I’ll have to get my eyes fixed in that case… 😳

Participant

ANother suggestion for some delivery missions, start with a maximum payout by a set date and then a % reduction for every day it is late allowing some addiitonal variance.

Participant
    ollobrain wrote:
    ANother suggestion for some delivery missions, start with a maximum payout by a set date and then a % reduction for every day it is late allowing some addiitonal variance.

That should be pretty simple for you to implement if you wanted to give it a try?

It’s a pretty awesome feeling actually getting something added to this game! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.