Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Pionier auf Deutsch!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

Humble Book Bundle ends on 9/11/2019

• Author
    Participant

Wilkommen bei Weltraum, Pilote!

Wir arbeiten jetzt an das Internationalisierung System des Spiels. Es geht gut, und wir haben bereits einige funktionierenden Code. Bald, werden Sie das Universum entweder auf Deutsch oder auf Englisch genießen können.

Deutsch ist nur die erste benutzbare alternative Sprache! Wenn Sie das Spiel in eine andere Sprache übersetzen könnten, bitte machen Sie sich uns bekannt!

Er7YK.png

Welcome to outer space, pilots!

We are now working on the internationalisation system of the game. It is going well, and we already have some working code. Soon, you will be able to enjoy the universe either in German or in English.

German is only the first usable alternative language! If you could translate the game into another language, please make yourself known to us!

The German translation for the core engine is complete, and we have a format for language files. We are still working on the details, and some of the language in the game is built around a presumption of English, which must be corrected before translation into many languages becomes possible. Nevertheless, if you feel that you could translate the game into other languages (or even fix my horrible German) then we would like to know about you.

The Lua modules and missions are not translated, or even particularly translatable yet. So, ship names, system names and conversations on bulletin boards are all still in English. We’ll be addressing that in due course. The goal is that all missions which ship with the game will be using a single translation system, where the various texts in the mission can be made available in other languages.

Good news, everybody! The same system will also enable the same mission logic to easily provide alternative lines of dialogue, increasing variety and, therefore, fun.

German speakers: Es ist doch richtig, um “Sie” zu schreiben, in das Spiel, oder?

Humble Book Bundle ends on 9/11/2019

Participant

Ich finde es eine sehr gute Idee das Game in verschiedene Sprachen zu übersetzen.

Es freud mich besonders, dass Deutsch die erste Sprache ist mit der ihr beginnt. Danke. Falls ihr Hilfe benötigt schreibt mich an. 😛

Participant
    pgargon wrote:
    Ich finde es eine sehr gute Idee das Game in verschiedene Sprachen zu übersetzen.

Aber natürlich!

Quote:
    Es freud mich besonders, dass Deutsch die erste Sprache ist mit der ihr beginnt. Danke. Falls ihr Hilfe benötigt schreibt mich an. 😛

Bitte! (-: Es freut mich es zu tun.

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

I think Gernot will be pleased at this. 🙂 Will anyone be doing a Glaswegian version? 😛

Pieyonear’s na no bad gain in natno but! 😆

Seriously though, great work guys! 😎

Participant
    Geraldine wrote:
    I think Gernot will be pleased at this. 🙂 Will anyone be doing a Glaswegian version? 😛

Pieyonear’s na no bad gain in natno but! 😆

Seriously though, great work guys! 😎

I don’t think a Scots version should be excluded. If the Scottish government sees fit to release information in Scots, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t. (-:

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

Believe me Brianetta, if I knew how to do it, I’d do a conversion myself, just for a giggle 😆

Participant
    Geraldine wrote:
    Believe me Brianetta, if I knew how to do it, I’d do a conversion myself, just for a giggle 😆

Cool. You do it by editing a text file. We’ll be in touch. (-:

Participant

How does the system currently work?

When I’ve done it before I use an excel document as the master list with the first column being the strings used in code eg: STR_GUI_WARP_OVERLAY followed by as many column worth of translated text you need, with duplicated English entries for the translations you don’t yet have so:

STR_GUI_WARP_OVERLAY, “Press to warp”, “Press to warp”, “Press to warp”, “Press to warp”, “Press to warp”

Then you export it as csv and run it through a program to generate the code table, the STR_GUI_WARP_OVERLAY becomes an enum in a header and the string table is in UTF8/16 that you access by passing in the enum to a getter function. When the game starts it loads the language into the string table, switching languages then just means overwriting that table with another language for example.

How does this system work?

Participant

Alternate lines of token, string. Blank lines and lines beginning with # are ignored. Leading and trailing unquoted whitespace is ignored, quotes are removed, \n replaced with a newline. The file is named after the language, and all language files are loaded from the directory.

Current examples are English and German:

https://github.com/Brianetta/pioneer/tr … /data/lang

Do have a look. Running the files as-is through Google Translate gives valid, if slightly hopeless, output (you’ll need to un-translate any tokens it had a crack at, as well as correcting the real work).

Participant

Actually, Google Translate is hopeless. Don’t be tempted.

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

Mmmmm, I seem to be having problems copying this english file into Notepad2. I tried hitting the copy to clipboard button but nothing is happening. HELP!

Participant

I don’t know what you’re trying to copy, but it’s probably a web page from GitHub that you’re getting.

There are two ways to get the file. Either check out the source code to your computer (which is the most righteous method) or use the raw link to that file (which I have reproduced here for you).

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

Thank you Brianetta 😉

This might take some time as in, deciding on how “colourful” to make the translation, I have to balance that colourfulness with keeping it within (just about) interpretive limits! 😆

Participant
    Geraldine wrote:
    Thank you Brianetta 😉

This might take some time as in, deciding on how “colourful” to make the translation, I have to balance that colourfulness with keeping it within (just about) interpretive limits! 😆

Scots is a recognised language. It’s mutually intelligible with English, but that’s just an incidental detail. If Scots speakers can understand it, you’ve done your job.

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

The Scots language can be humorous at times and I have tried to keep it tongue in cheek, it’s Scots but still usable by other folks too as the important things like ships, weapons, equipment and goods (mostly) I have left alone for playability. If I could wish for something it would be that there would be more interaction options in coms, then I could really do a job! 😛 Anyways here is an update to work with Alpha 15. Let know what you think and I would be happy to amend it if anyone has other suggestions 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.