Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Pionier auf Deutsch!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)



Humble Book Bundle ends on 9/11/2019


  • Author
    Posts
  • #81482
    AvatarBrianetta
    Participant

    We’ll be coming up with a translation system for mission modules soon. Then, your humour can be unleashed.




    Humble Book Bundle ends on 9/11/2019


    #81483
    AvatarBrianetta
    Participant

    Geraldine, if you haven’t seen it:

    http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vli/l … /index.htm

    #81484
    GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

    😆

    There is (or should I say iz) a lot of errors in their documents. The main problem with “broad scots” is that it has never really been written down properly in modern times. So many of the words are guesswork and to make matters worse, different things go by different names depending on what part of the country you are in. Then there is modern cultural influences to consider as well.

    #81485
    AvatarBrianetta
    Participant

    I think, if in doubt, they just refer to Rabbie Burns.

    #81486
    AvatarBrianetta
    Participant

    Quick question to all you German speakers. For “status,” should I write Status or Zustand?

    Auf Deutsch, um “status” zu übersetzen, sollte Ich “Status” oder “Zustand” schreiben?

    There. Now my lack of German skills have been well and truly outed. (-:

    #81487
    Avatarnumidianian
    Participant
    Quote:
    Wilkommen bei Weltraum, Pilote!

    Wir arbeiten jetzt an das Internationalisierung System des Spiels. Es geht gut, und wir haben bereits einige funktionierenden Code. Bald, werden Sie das Universum entweder auf Deutsch oder auf Englisch genießen können.

    Deutsch ist nur die erste benutzbare alternative Sprache! Wenn Sie das Spiel in eine andere Sprache übersetzen könnten, bitte machen Sie sich uns bekannt!

    I couldn’t help wondering, why did I understood everything so clearly, until I read that it was written not by a native speaker of German. (:

    Btw, one mistake: arbeiten an (D.).

    Quote:
    Quick question to all you German speakers. For “status,” should I write Status or Zustand?

    It seems to me, that “Status” would be more appropriate, because I have a feeling, that “Zustand” is closer to “condition”.

    As for translation on other languages. I’d like to have a look at the volume of the text data.

    #81488
    AvatarGletscherlicht
    Participant

    Hello to all,

    I’m a native speaker of German and I would like to help with the translation.

    To introduce myself I would like to make the following proposals to terms used in the picture in the first post of this thread:

    [Hyperlaufwerk] –> [Hyperraumantrieb]

    [Klasse 2 Hyperlaufwerk] –> [Standard Klasse 2] – – assumed that it is a basic class 2 hyperjumpdrive.

    [Hubraum] –> [Laderaum]

    [Frei] –> [Verfügbar]

    [Vor Waffe] –> [Bug Waffe] – – but I would prefer the term [Bug] instead – so you have the option to install other equipment than weapons.

    [Hinten Waffe] –> [Heck Waffe] – – but I would prefer the term [Heck] instead.

    left/port –> [Backbord]

    right/starbord –> [Steuerbord]

    [Kein Mountpunkt] –> [Keine Halterung]

    [Fahrbereich im Hyperraum] –> [Reichweite im Hyperraum] – – but I would prefer the term [Sprungreichweite] (jump range) instead.

    [light years] –> [Lichtjahre]

    [Atmosphärischen Hitzeshild] –> [Atmosphärischer Hitzeschild] – – but it could also be called [Atmosphären Hitzeschild] or just [Hitzeschild] if there are no other types of heat shields.

    The term [Ruf] seems informal to me, I would prefer [Reputation].

    Btw, the term [Status] is a much better translation than [Zustand].

    I hope you liked what you read, and if there is no more need with the translation to German just ignore me.

    I tried to download the files mentioned in the thread, but I got the infamous 404-error.

    #81489
    AvatarBrianetta
    Participant

    Thanks. The links are now out of date, since the languages are now a part of the main project.

    You can find language files here:

    https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pion … /data/lang

    I am not a native German speaker, so really I’d have to go with any advice from somebody who is.

    Gletscherlicht wrote:
    [Klasse 2 Hyperlaufwerk] –> [Standard Klasse 2] – – assumed that it is a basic class 2 hyperjumpdrive.

    This is my only doubt. In the English, there is no “basic” hyperdrive. It’s either a hyperdrive or a military drive, and each of these has several class numbers.

    Still, you’ll be a better judge, and I don’t mind you making it look more natural to German eyes. In fact, if you’re feeling very enthusiastic, you could take over the German translation. If you want.

    #81490
    AvatarGletscherlicht
    Participant
    Brianetta wrote:
    You can find language files here:

    https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pion … /data/lang

    Thank you very much. I think I figured out the format, so I just replace the terms with the correct Germans expressions (or whatever I think them to be) and mail the .txt-file back to you?

    Brianetta wrote:

    [Klasse 2 Hyperlaufwerk] –> [Standard Klasse 2] – – assumed that it is a basic class 2 hyperjumpdrive.

    This is my only doubt. In the English, there is no “basic” hyperdrive. It’s either a hyperdrive or a military drive, and each of these has several class numbers.

    The point is how you offer information to the player. Let me give an example – the line reads: [Apples] or [Apples]. The second term does not make sense, because after you read [Apples] you expect some information about apples – and not something else. The first term doubles the information, with [Apples] you transport exact the same information.

    So, in the case of [Hyperdrive] the title already transports, that what is following is about the hyperdrive the player has installed in her or his ship. As far as I understood your reply, the “normal” hyperdrive is just a hyperdrive (or the “standard”) and the military drive is the more sophisticated version. Therefore I would suggest to write:

    [Hyperdrive] for the “a hyperdrive” and (e.g.) [Hyperdrive] for other versions.

    Perhaps there will be a [Hyperdrive] in the future?

    Brianetta wrote:
    In fact, if you’re feeling very enthusiastic, you could take over the German translation. If you want.

    Oh, thank you for the offer. But I would prefer just to help and to let you (or somebody else) be the one in charge, who has to sort out my better ideas from the rubbish.

    It is the first time I summoned the courage to really offer my help in such a project, and I don’t want to go over board by taking the lead on the first day I registered to the forum.

    It will take some days to scan through the textfile and there will be two major points I will return with questions to you:

    (1) The file does not contain whole sentences. Therefore I will sometimes ask about an explanation of the context of a term, to find the correct translation (example: In the German version of Freelancer the term “credits” was incorrectly translated to “Mitwirkende”, which would be correct if credits would have referred to the people who had worked on the game – just in this case it was referring to the player’s money).

    Of course I will refer to the English version of the textfile, but this might be not much of help, because there aren’t whole sentences either.

    (2) In German the grammar changes with the object of the sentence (plural or singular, masculine or feminine). It will take some time and maybe help to think a way around that. (Example: YOU_DO_NOT_HAVE_ANY_X – Sie haben keine %item. – – Sie haben keinen Wasserstoff – – Sie haben keine Lebensmittel).

    If this is not what you expected, please tell me.

    #81491
    AvatarBrianetta
    Participant
    Gletscherlicht wrote:
    Thank you very much. I think I figured out the format, so I just replace the terms with the correct Germans expressions (or whatever I think them to be) and mail the .txt-file back to you?

    You can. If you do this a lot, it would be better if you figured out how to use Git and Github.com, but for now, yes, mail is fine.

    Gletscherlicht wrote:
    So, in the case of [Hyperdrive] the title already transports, that what is following is about the hyperdrive the player has installed in her or his ship. As far as I understood your reply, the “normal” hyperdrive is just a hyperdrive (or the “standard”) and the military drive is the more sophisticated version. Therefore I would suggest to write:

    [Hyperdrive] for the “a hyperdrive” and (e.g.) [Hyperdrive] for other versions.

    Perhaps there will be a [Hyperdrive] in the future?

    It’s unlikely. The terms date right back to Frontier, in 1992. There are three drives: interplanetary drive, hyperdrive and military drive. If there were a new experimental SpaceCorp drive, it would either be a hyperdrive or a military drive. If it’s an entirely new type, using a new fuel, it would get a new name – perhaps a SpaceCorp drive.

    Gletscherlicht wrote:
    Brianetta wrote:
    In fact, if you’re feeling very enthusiastic, you could take over the German translation. If you want.

    Oh, thank you for the offer. But I would prefer just to help and to let you (or somebody else) be the one in charge, who has to sort out my better ideas from the rubbish.

    It is the first time I summoned the courage to really offer my help in such a project, and I don’t want to go over board by taking the lead on the first day I registered to the forum.

    I understand that. Ideally, we’d have a native German speaker do the translation. I did the whole lot in something like two days, and I’ve never been sure whether I did a good job.

    Gletscherlicht wrote:
    It will take some days to scan through the textfile and there will be two major points I will return with questions to you:

    (1) The file does not contain whole sentences. Therefore I will sometimes ask about an explanation of the context of a term, to find the correct translation (example: In the German version of Freelancer the term “credits” was incorrectly translated to “Mitwirkende”, which would be correct if credits would have referred to the people who had worked on the game – just in this case it was referring to the player’s money).

    Of course I will refer to the English version of the textfile, but this might be not much of help, because there aren’t whole sentences either.

    Sure thing. Normally the context is nearby, but the best thing to do is play-test the game, and get used to the places where the strings are used. For example, “PIONEER” is the text used as the registration on the wing of the spinning ship in the start menu.

    Gletscherlicht wrote:
    (2) In German the grammar changes with the object of the sentence (plural or singular, masculine or feminine). It will take some time and maybe help to think a way around that. (Example: YOU_DO_NOT_HAVE_ANY_X – Sie haben keine %item. – – Sie haben keinen Wasserstoff – – Sie haben keine Lebensmittel).

    We are aware of this. Already we’ve made changes to tokenisation because of different word order. In fact, we want to avoid sentence fragments, too, eventually. We used to join things like “You have bought ” and “hydrogen” together, but that made “Sie haben Wasserstoff gekauft” impossible. For those gender articles, we might need some good ideas.

    English and German are closely related; the Romance languages offer their own problems, and the non Indo-European languages could be really interesting.

    Gletscherlicht wrote:
    If this is not what you expected, please tell me.

    Any help is appreciated. You want to make the game better; so do we. Thanks!

    #81492
    AvatarGletscherlicht
    Participant
    Brianetta wrote:
    If you do this a lot, it would be better if you figured out how to use Git and Github.com, but for now, yes, mail is fine.

    Thank you. I promise, I won’t do this a lot.

    Brianetta wrote:
    There are three drives: interplanetary drive, hyperdrive and military drive. If there were a new experimental SpaceCorp drive, it would either be a hyperdrive or a military drive.

    Okay, I stick to this.

    Brianetta wrote:
    Translation: I did the whole lot in something like two days, and I’ve never been sure whether I did a good job.

    Be sure, you did a respectable job. All I have to do are some minor amendments. Several entries are completly correct.

    Brianetta wrote:
    the best thing to do is play-test the game, and get used to the places where the strings are used.

    I wasn’t aware, that the game is already play-testable.

    Brianetta wrote:
    We used to join things like “You have bought ” and “hydrogen” together, but that made “Sie haben Wasserstoff gekauft” impossible.

    I hope, I will come up with some phrasings to circumvent this issue.

    Thank you for your support.

    Now I start editing the textfile.

    #81493
    AvatarGletscherlicht
    Participant

    So, I’m already through the textfile, but there are still 3 questions remaining:


    Line 674

    FOLLOWING_SELECTION

    following selection


    Q: Please explain the context of this expression – I failed to come to any idea.


    Line 676

    LOCKED

    locked


    Q: If I remember Elite correctly this is used, when you select a system from the starmap. Is this similiar here?


    Line 826

    TINY

    Tiny

    SMALL

    Small


    Q: What is bigger, tiny or small?

    Thank you in advance.

    #81494
    AvatarBrianetta
    Participant
    Gletscherlicht wrote:
    So, I’m already through the textfile, but there are still 3 questions remaining:


    Line 674

    FOLLOWING_SELECTION

    following selection


    Q: Please explain the context of this expression – I failed to come to any idea.

    It’s the 3D map. As the selection moves, the hyperspace target is following it.

    Gletscherlicht wrote:


    Line 676

    LOCKED

    locked


    Q: If I remember Elite correctly this is used, when you select a system from the starmap. Is this similiar here?

    It’s the 3D map. As the selection moves, the hyperspace target is remaining locked to your previous choice.

    Gletscherlicht wrote:


    Line 826

    TINY

    Tiny

    SMALL

    Small


    Q: What is bigger, tiny or small?

    Thank you in advance.

    Small is bigger.

    Huge > big > small > tiny (roughly speaking)

    #81495
    AvatarGletscherlicht
    Participant

    Many thanks for the replies.

    One final question:


    Line 704

    YOU_DO_NOT_HAVE_ANY_X

    You do not have any %item.


    Q: Does this phrase refer to commodities only, or also to other ship equipment?

    Thank you in advance.

    Doublechecking spelling, punctuation, grammar and consistency in the meantime.

    #81496
    AvatarBrianetta
    Participant
    Gletscherlicht wrote:
    Many thanks for the replies.

    One final question:


    Line 704

    YOU_DO_NOT_HAVE_ANY_X

    You do not have any %item.


    Q: Does this phrase refer to commodities only, or also to other ship equipment?

    Commodities. It’s the message that comes up when you click “sell” on an item that you don’t have.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.