Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Please add beam weapons!

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

Besides monthly games you also get access to over 60 free games in their library

• Author
    Participant

This discussion from way back might be of interest:

http://pioneerspacesim.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4

A bunch of classics here on the cheap if you get them all in one bundle

IronHoundIronHound
    Participant

nozmajner

Those are fantastic ideas….

…..but how long would they take to implement? Laser weapons hopefully would be done quicker, and would alleviate the combat issues. As somebody who did alot of combat in FE2, I won’t play pioneer. The combat is unsatisfying, and downright tedious. At least with beam weapons I know I’m getting some hits in, and making progress.

Participant

@IronHound:

Here’s a mod that fakes beam weapons in a hackish way for you to try: projectile is faaast (1/10th c if I’m correct), gun is veryvery rapid fire. Won’t look pretty from either camera, but does the job if you can actually get close to your target.

It shows up in the market as an empty line, actually two of them, the other is an enhanced cooler, so you can actually use it. (I was unable to figure out how to pick their name from the language file yet).

Don’t know if it would save properly, haven’t tested yet.

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

Thats got to be worth a go! :girlcrazy:

Thank you nozmajner :queen:

Participant

The reason the language file doesn’t work is that it’s looking in equipment-core/*.json for the key by default. If you want another language module, you need to also specify l10n_resource (e.g. look at how modules/CargoRun/ does it). So in this case it would be l10n_resource=”beamlaser”.

Possibly, the modules/beamlaser.lua should be in modules/beamlaser/beamlaser.lua and it should work.

Also, with this speed-up hack, I suspect the collision detection will miss many of the hits. But I haven’t tested it.

And a second “also”: having just watched episode 4 of The Expanse, I think it would be way cooler with a minigun/vulcan cannon, than big slow blobs of… hot plasma(?) as pioneer has now.

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

Perhaps with alternating tracer rounds too perhaps? That would almost be like a fast firing laser.

IronHoundIronHound
    Participant

@IronHound:

Here’s a mod that fakes beam weapons in a hackish way for you to try: projectile is faaast (1/10th c if I’m correct), gun is veryvery rapid fire. Won’t look pretty from either camera, but does the job if you can actually get close to your target.

It shows up in the market as an empty line, actually two of them, the other is an enhanced cooler, so you can actually use it. (I was unable to figure out how to pick their name from the language file yet).

Don’t know if it would save properly, haven’t tested yet.

Wow! Ill be sure to try this out during the coming weekend to see how it works. Thanks!

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

you like to know what i think
    i think it turned to shit!
    everytime i argued about that the AI isn’t beatable anymore no one had interest or “use a co-pilot”
    i don’t like if a co-pilot does the job
    and i was quite good in dogfights
    but i guess it was with alpha9 the AI “learned” a lot and it’s now not to beat no matter what anyone else assumes it’s no longer fun.

it’s less a problem of waepons as it is a problem of the unbeatable AI
    besides of the fact that bea weapons would look strange in pioneer they won’t help you much i suspect,and the opposite wil probably even have a beam laser,
    though the situation will be the same.

it was possible to hit well and fighting was a pleasure but not to easy.

NOW IT’S IMPOSSIBLE that’s all i can say.

once i changed the pirates module to have more and better armed pirates waiting for me
    recently i would do the vice versa and disable or disarm pirates because it’s no longer fun.

and no i don’t believe anyone can handle the new AI if i don’t see a clip of that
    and i never seen one!

but well i’ve made clips of dogfights when it still was fun.
    it’s already quite a while ago someone asked on YT to my clip
    “how do you do that? i can’t have such battles”
    i had to answer him it was alpha6 and the AI was easier to beat.

due to that and posts like this one i believe it would be a good thing to revert it to the state it was once
    i’m to 100% sure that the players will appreciate it!

“veteran” but not veteran enough to beat the AI in pioneer?

i’m “only a modeler”, but this had always the highest priority to me, balancing the game
    fighting and trading, this must be balanced though a nube can have as much fun and chances as a veteran.

in fact how it looks to me i wouldrather like a game with the primitive look of FE2 if the fighting is balanced,
    visual stuff is only SECONDARY even or because if it’s what is most obvious.

nice, looks good, overwhelming,
    all this doesn’t matters
    playablity matters

and friends i play FE2 from time to time and well from this playability pioneer is drifted away more and more.
    to me and i might sound evil now pioneer has turned to bad
    and i can only hope it won’t vanish like all the other so fantastic looking space sims which wasn’t playable.

well if that’s the case there is still FFE/FE2 and DOSbox.

i repeat, it damned makes no difference if a star is textured or not, but it makes a big difference if a AI is to beat or not.
    it makes no difference if i fly around in a “shoebox”, but it makes a big difference if i machines get exportet from industrial worlds and not from outdoor worlds.
    this is the core, the rest is “schnick-schnack”.

i really prefere a “primitive” pioneer like we started out, it was a lot more fun to play
    i miss this as well as i miss the good contact we had.

but i assume i could as well shoot in holes the air it has the same effect as my comments.

Gernot66Gernot66
    Participant

erm, i take back everything i said in above reply.
    but yes it had made me angry AS well AS others that you won’t succeed in fighting.

this has changed last spring.
    but to reach my first kill i didn’t altered the weapons.
    it happend accidentially by balancing the ship specs.

cause if you alter to beam Lasers ai will or must have the same power, else it’s cheating.

but i just made my ships more “realistic” and lowered thrust to something a human can stand, OK with 15G you still would turn to chilisauce, but as a upper limit it’s OK. 15G for a empty ship! means between 10 and 12 for the ladden. most with exception of fighters are weaker.

with this setup i startend a game and the goal was intentionally trading to See what exactly i don’t like in pioneers economy.
    however after a while i was attacked by pirates, most i could escape (something i would like to change with a cheat pro ai, they should overhaul you, even if that isn’t realistic) as usually, but one hanged on me and i had to fight.
    to my own surprise it wasn’t a very hard fight and my first kill in pioneer since years (alpha9).
    i’m pretty sure i can do it again. they lost a little of their sting.

thus the best thing i can recommend to make fighting a pleasure again in pioneer is to balance the ships and don’t design every little fighter more poweful as the last one.

i know ships Moose a little of characteristics, mine are almost similar in specs and it endetvup in groups.
    group 1 are Shuttles and will never fight, threfore they have a low but in all directions similar thrust.
    group 2 are transporters which need good lifting capabilities, fighting is secondary.
    group 3 are fighters with outraking Main and reverse thrust, depending on the design More or less good lateral thrust (thruster setup/positions/size should reflect capabilities)
    sorta “Cobra” ships have good maneuverability, sort of “eagle” ships outraking acceleration.

it ended in Phoenix in this and i’m quite satisfied with it.
    especially since my first kill.

Participant

Gaze upon the beauty of it, beam weapons will exist with the next release:

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.