Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

Humble Book Bundle ends on 9/11/2019

• Author
    IronHoundIronHound
    Participant

You make an interesting point about interactions. When I think of GOOD interactions in a space game I think of Space Rangers 2 or the X series. Both games it fit the gameplay just as much as immersion. Being pointed towards a missile factory or bargaining with pirates was always enjoyable. However from the video it looks similar to Privateer… and from what I remember, there really wasn’t a whole lot. You could ask people where they where going, and for them to surrender… not much else was there? Granted its been a while. Most of the combat dialogue was just taunts and things like that, nothing that served any purpose beyond flavor. I certainly don’t remember haggling or bribing a cop. Then again I don’t think I used communications very often.

Im not going to disagree with you about difficulty Pinback. I will however point out that Privateer was BRUTAL. AT ALL TIMES. To this day I despise the Retros. :\ Elite was significantly harder. Most of the time when you got into combat in E1, FE2, or FFE it was an instant death early on.

Now… Freelancer was a bit different. I still have it installed and play it from time to time. Its mind numbingly easy. The only time its even remotely challenging is when I am in a trading vessel.

Anyway my point is, I found Rebel Galaxy to be pretty difficult after the first system as well, but I’m not sure yet if thats a bad thing. I put over 20 hours into it, and enjoyed it, but the combat itself was fairly unengaging for me personally. Anyway, thanks for the podcast link. Im hurting for some more information. Its been a month or so since we got any videos. The hype hurts!

If only I could decide on my trusty joystick or a controller..

Humble Book Bundle ends on 9/11/2019

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Elite was brutal but then all 8/16 bit games were but we did spend literally months playing then. I can remember being able to take out any spacecraft using any of the four views in Elite. Probably would not be able to take anything out using the front view now. 🙂

Not listened to all of the podcast but it looks like a full set of modding tools will be available some time after the games release. And I will confidently predict that we will see a full Star Wars conversion for the game. http://spacesimcentral.com/forums/topic/double-damage-pitched-ea-on-a-star-wars/

I don’t think the game will break any new ground, from what we have seen so far is looks like a fairly standard space trading combat game. But it dose look like it will be one of the best ones out their in playability and we should get a complete game, which is a bit of rarity in this genre.

CodyCody
    Participant

… and we should get a complete game, which is a bit of rarity in this genre.

A complete game? Good grief! Thing is, can one avoid the damn cut scenes?

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Good question Cody as their seems to be a lot them, the only one the dev mentions in the one hour playthrough was the docking one, that could be skipped.

Just one point looking at the vid I hope it not going to be a cutscene every time you go to mission area. ie will you be able to fly across the system to get to where the mission takes place.

Listened to the rest of podcast, look like you will be able to buy your own base at some point in the game, although it won’t be like the x games (thank god) more like I War 2. with some missions connected with getting bit for it, just like I War 2 IIRC.

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

May be good news/bad news, depends on you point of view but Double Damage have announced that PC game will be exclusive to the new Epic game store for a year. https://rebel-galaxy.com/rebel-galaxy-outlaw-launching-on-epic-games-store-qa/

Good news for Double Damage as I’m sure Epic have given them a ton of cash for doing this and I read that they will get more cash from the sale of the game, which IIRC was a bug bear with them from the first game.

Might not be such good news for us customers as I read nothing about how Epic/ Double Damage are going to handle the download ie if you lose the connection will you have to redownload it from the start?. How will updates/patches be handled and what type of DRM will be used.

sscadminsscadmin
    Keymaster

Guess I won’t be buying this for a year, I wasn’t planning on opening up another digital download account. Steam is what I use and will just wait, least by the time it hits the store it will be fully patched and dlc published 🙂

Smart move on Epic

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

I was looking forward to getting it but I think I will do the same and wait.

One thing Epic should do is make the store separate from their Fortnite game, at the moment the store looks like a bit of an after thought.

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

Wait until it lands on GOG. 😉

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

You can also get it on the PS4 or Switch, although no mention of an Xbox 1 version.

Just thinking about that, the three games which we here are interested in, are I think all multi format games, not sure about the outer wilds. but it would make sense for the games devs to tie themselves into exclusive deal for the PC version if they have console versions of the game.

Not sure this Epic store exclusive would be such a good deal for an indie dev just making a PC only game.

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

3 hours of gameplay, not watched it myself, think I will do it chunks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0wc8CSL-mg
    natansharpnatansharp
    Participant

Love this kind of space games, i really prefer a combat space game like wing commander\freelancer.
    Rebel galaxy is a good game and when i finished it i thought: they should do a new chapter with classics mechanics, cockpit and dogfighting like in everspace.
    Boom! This game is in my mind but before buying it i have other space games to play…no man’s sky (yes i never played it) and house of the dying sun.

Participant

Really excited for this one! Looks like a lot of what I wanted in a space game.

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Just watched the first hour, good to see a number of different options at the start of the game and that you can travel through space to you destination.

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

So got through another hour of the vid, love the fact that you can turn off the ship dampeners and spin around on the axis for a bit of Babylon 5 style flying.

Didn’t think a lot of the mining, think they could have gone further with the scanner.

Nice painting tool and he’s very proud of it but I wonder how many people will bother with it beyond changing a few colours.

The bubby system is ok but I think they missed a trick by not having them on the ship as a crew mate where they could have taken over a turret or maned the ship while you were in the turret, or have them hacking enemy ship.

sscadminsscadmin
    Keymaster

Listened too all of this and a lot of good points, any dlc or content for the game will be free and is planned to be released over a years time. The mod tools will allow you to change any aspect of the game, those tools will not be at release and will see them after console releases of the game. Achievements will be added. Watched the video for about 1/2 this 3hr video… combat looks good and I do like the side games as well.

Soon as this is on Steam I will buy this and least by then all of the content and modtools should be out 🙂

Hard to believe its done be 5 people.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.