Viewing 114 reply threads

Expires on 11/20/2018

• Author
      Crisis
      Participant

Hi all,

I’d like to take a moment to introduce you to Rogue System–a new Space-Sim that I’ve been working on for a while. I cut my teeth on classics such as Elite, Wing Commander, the X-Wing series, etc. I was very sad to see this genre fade away and I honestly think it’s time for a revival. Rogue System will try to capture the FUN of those classic games while also adding some fresh new elements. Some things you can expect:

• Fun, challenging flight combat with an added sim element for a more engaging flight environment
      • Original story line between missions which changes based on player actions and interactions
      • A campaign made up of scripted, key missions, strung together by several dynamic missions
      • Combat capable AI
      • User-controlled take-off and landing
      • Space Traffic Control around the carrier
      • A variety of mission types
      • Extra-Vehicle Activities and ship to ship docking
      • FPS mode with the ability to walk around your carrier, and later inside freighters, stations and other large vessels
      • Open-Ended, exploratory environment which begins after the story ends

The idea is, so that this doesn’t take years to finish, is that it will be released in stages. The first part would be the main, Wing Commander-like game. The second would be the addition of Elite-style play. Another would be FPS gameplay with boarding actions and such. Also, the game is VERY moddable so users could create, say, a Star Wars, etc. mod if they wanted. Eventually, multi-player would also be added. All of these elements are in mind while the initial, core game is being developed so in many cases it is just the content that will be missing at first.

If you’re interested, there are two WIP videos on youtube (the second having been put up a day ago) that you can look at. I do the voice-over on the fly, so sometimes it’s a bit rough, but it does a decent job of showing you the current state of things. Keep in mind that currently visuals are secondary to gameplay, so there’s is a LOT of placeholder art in there right now.

Video 2: {C}http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x59DpmBTug{C}

You can find a link to the older video at {C}http://www.fingerscrossedinteractive.com{C} in the “media” section. Forgive me, but the site is VERY WIP right now, so don’t expect a lot at the moment 🙂

I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have. I’ve already put a lot of time into this, so much that it would be silly at this point not to carry it through to whatever end 😉

Thanks for your time,

Michael

Edit: Sorry–looking around I realize this probably should have gone in the commercial Indie section–feel free to move it 🙂

Expires on 11/20/2018

Dalkeith
      Participant

Congratulations Crisis what you’ve implemented looks very polished and hardcore.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Welcome to SSC Crisis

Very impressive vid, 😎 there have been a number of people asking for this sort cockpit immersion in games. 😀

As you demonstrated in the vid with the engines being damaged will the player be able to reroute power from other systems or attempt some sort of repair to the ship system in order to get them running again.

Crisis
      Participant

Thanks for the positive feedback, gents 🙂

About re-routing, etc: not only do you have your batteries, APU’s, and engines (ships can have one or more of each) you’ll also have things like solar arrays and other power sources. Each of these only supplies so much power. So, while losing the engine might mean losing some higher level systems, you’d still be able to route power to core systems from these other power sources and they would keep running as long as the power held out and they didn’t overheat (APU’s and engines also provide required cooling air). Likewise, engines and APU’s also require both a fuel source as well as cooling fluid. So, long story short, there are a lot of resources to manage and as long as you can distribute them properly then things will still operate, even in dire situations…

System interaction is still in the WIP/experimentation stage, but you get the general idea of where it’s headed–if you want to survive in combat not only will you have to know how to fly, but you’ll also need to understand your ship rather well. The trick is to keep this sort of interaction from becoming tedious, so there’s a bit of a balancing act there. I won’t really know just how far to take it until everything is modeled properly 🙂

Oh, also–repairs–that would really depend on the type of ship you’re flying. I mean in a fighter you’re not going to have much in the way of spare parts. But certainly in a freighter where you can get up and move around you’ll be able to do things like this. Again, the trick is to not over-do it so that it becomes tedious. That will take some playtesting as well when the time comes…

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Hi Crisis

Your working on some nice things here, I especially liked the cockpit functions and ship system setup you are working on. The shield effects and the launching of the missiles were a nice touch as well. Also the AI going into different stances (off/def) is nice. I noticed that they just stopped attacking but will they know they are out matched and try to escape or call for help?

Crisis wrote:
      Open-Ended, exploratory environment which begins after the story ends

How will this be done? Are there gates, or can you just fly to anything you want in in the system.

Welcome to SSC and I will add Rogue System to the game listings.

Crisis
      Participant

Thank you.

The AI switching from offensive to defensive (or neutral/navigation): The idea here is that, as you saw in the video, when an AI is attacking but is getting hurt they will switch to a defensive posture–in most cases this would call for an evasive maneuver to upset the attacker’s firing solution. He did this in the video when he changed direction and extended away from me. Once he feels he’s succeeded he will go back on the offensive. The “problem” right now is that the AI only has a couple maneuvers to choose from. Maneuvers are classed and ranked and once they have a good deal to pick from and score they should be much better at flying for the situation at hand. Pilots are persistent on both sides and they will learn over time the maneuvers that work best for their ship.

Also, even though an AI may be on the defensive if a shot presents itself they WILL take it assuming their mental state isn’t such that they have completely lost the will to fight. And yes, they will call for help, try to extend from a fight if they need to regroup, or even try to escape if they feel they simply can’t keep fighting (unless they are VERY aggressive, in which case they may just go down fighting instead).

It sounds like a lot of smoke and mirrors, but the basics for almost all of these reactions are already there. They just all need to be tied together…

In a later module open-ended gameplay will be added. It will be added later simply because there is too much content to try and produce up front and I don’t want the sim to take YEARS to come out. I’d rather release it in parts, each part adding a new experience, new campaign, new ships, etc. Once open-ended play is added you will be able to move anywhere within a system, and from system to system, using a variety of means:

–standard engines for local travel

–“Dark Drives” that will move you about a system quickly

–“Warp Bubble” generators to move from system to system

There are other things, including gates, that may be of alien origin or ancient tech that you will have to explore to find. The Galactic Arm is generated when you start a new game, so things will never be the same. However, there will be a lot to explore so you may never NEED to start a new game 🙂 The Galaxy Generator already works–it was the first thing I developed.

So you see, what I have right now are a lot of core bits and pieces. The next step is to start bringing all of these things together into one cohesive package.

Thanks for the welcome. Please feel free to ask any questions–assuming it doesn’t concern a feature that I don’t want to reveal just yet (and there are a good few of those) I’d be happy to answer 🙂

DarkOne wrote:
      Hi Crisis

Your working on some nice things here, I especially liked the cockpit functions and ship system setup you are working on. The shield effects and the launching of the missiles were a nice touch as well. Also the AI going into different stances (off/def) is nice. I noticed that they just stopped attacking but will they know they are out matched and try to escape or call for help?

Crisis wrote:
      Open-Ended, exploratory environment which begins after the story ends

How will this be done? Are there gates, or can you just fly to anything you want in in the system.

Welcome to SSC and I will add Rogue System to the game listings.

Crisis
      Participant

Just a heads-up: If anyone is interested to have a look I posted a very small updated over at my forums with a few shots of the new cockpit interior I’m working on. As I mention in my post, this is not final art, but more of an intermediate step between where I was and where I want to be. Anyway, here’s the link:

http://www.fingerscrossedinteractive.co … hp?f=4&t=4

I also updated the development blog over at my site, too, if you’re interested:

http://www.fingerscrossedinteractive.com/

Cheers…

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

That second pic is a nice concept and would you plan on putting ship info on those three screens and the HUD that you can interact with would be great. Kinda like the old Janes AH64 games when you could interact with the actual screens and do important functions on them like loadouts, cargo, fuel, shield power, powerplant distribution and other possibilities. Nices pics though overall.

Crisis
      Participant

Thanks.

Yes, the MFDs will be functional for various systems. Core system functions are handled through the hard switches on the consoles, but you’ll be able to perform deeper-level functions for each system through the MFDs. The HUD will basically be redundant information in case the Helmet mounted display fails. Likewise, there will be backup gauges for core ship systems in case the MFD system is knocked out.

The immediate goal is to get all the switches hooked up. And, I JUST came up with something very cool for the cockpit canopy that I honestly don’t think has been done before 🙂 SO, I’ll need to create a new system for that…

Crisis
      Participant

Hi all,

It’s been a LONG time since my last post (which I’m sorry about) and things have progressed a LOT since then. Quite honestly, making the transition from a prototype to a pre-alpha was like trying to bust through a brick wall and has taken every spare waking moment I’ve had for several months. But, we’re on the other side now and things are gaining a lot of momentum.

With your indulgence, I’d like to direct your attention to the first full article for Rogue System with the folks over at SimHQ put together. You can get a lot of good info about where I’m taking this, and the niche I’m trying to fill for the “hardcore / DCS” crowd.  The first of a series of teaser videos was also released with it. Our website is in a transition state, but that will soon be rectified. We’re also on facebook, tumblr, etc where you can get further information, as well as screenshots when they’re posted, etc.

I will do my best to try and get back here to answer questions, although my time is extremely limited as we’re preparing for February.

Anyway, here’s some links if you’re interested in a bit more info.

Article: http://www.simhq.com/_air15/air_543a.html

First Teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K8Y4auUPvM

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RogueSystemSim

Again, I’ll do my best to pop in and answer any questions here.

Cheers to all…

Vaipa
      Participant

I will resurrect an ancient meme for what I’ve seen in this thread

1805.jpg

Good job, man!

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Nice interview Crisis.

Will be keeping a look out for you Kickstarter in February, will you be having a physical edition of the game.

Crisis
      Participant

Nice interview Crisis.

Will be keeping a look out for you Kickstarter in February, will you be having a physical edition of the game.

We’ll be offering things such as a spiral-bound version of the flight manual and such, so it wouldn’t be much of a stretch to create a physical addition. I’ll investigate it further and see if it’s something that we can feasibly offer.

Thanks 🙂

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Great idea this going with an avatar as well as the usual  ship and and cockpit. 😎

Scott: Well, since I haven’t seen the design docs nor played these titles that’s a tricky question to answer. However, what I can tell you is this: from day one my goal has been to create the most detailed space combat / trader / explorer to date and to put you “in” the cockpit via your pilot “avatar”. To my knowledge no space sim, past, current, nor upcoming, will have the same level of system fidelity.

By doing this I’m hoping to challenge the player to get the most from their ship in the worst of circumstances; to feel the panic of the situation through their pilot avatar; and to have the satisfaction of setting a crippled ship down safely after a gut-wrenching mission.

The type of immersion and interaction I’m talking about isn’t just clicking a button to activate the scanner and seeing the onscreen pilot press a button. This is about all the things that go into making the scanner function properly, and how to best use it under various conditions. It’s about witnessing the effects of your pilot beginning to freeze to death – trapped in the cockpit of a dying ship in the shadow of a planet. You’ll see the condensed breathe, and hear the chattering of teeth and the labored breathing. All this, I feel, is Rogue System’s “hook” the pilot / ship / player relationship.

Crisis
      Participant

Just a head’s up–there’s a new teaser up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NAlI9L33gU

This one had some specific goals. Namely, showing the functioning EFD (HUD) gauges; interacting with the EFD button controls; some early effects work; and finally the results of pilot error. In this case, I turned off the left gun’s overtemp fail-safe. The resulting explosion blew it off the ship and damaged a couple other systems.

Thanks for the kind words above. I’ll try to keep you all posted with info as it comes…

Cheers 🙂

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Great vid Crisis 😎

If I understand the Article the minimum game will be like a Wing Commander style game with later modules adding different features to the game.

Crisis
      Participant

Great vid Crisis 😎

If I understand the Article the minimum game will be like a Wing Commander style game with later modules adding different features to the game.

If we meet the minimum KS goal, yes, that’s correct. The team size at the point will be very small and that will be what we can build within the development cycle. If we meet stretch goals then the team size increases and we can do more. My personal hope is that we can at least do a limited form of free-form play that we can build on after release. We’ll see how it goes.

But yes, the core of RogSys is a WC-like, branching campaign, with dynamic missions for maximum “replayibility” until we can get extension modules added.

Glad you liked the vid. There SHOULD be one more before I start putting the final material together for the KS…

Crisis
      Participant
      Hi all. I thought you might be interested: I’ve uploaded the third and final January teaser to YouTube. This one shows early shield and missile effects, as well as an accelerated version of pilot reaction to G stress-in this case tunnel vision to unconsciousness. I had to accelerate the effect to fit the timing of the video 🙂

Cheers…

SolCommand
      Participant

Can’t wait to see more 🙂

Crisis
      Participant

If anyone is interested in a bit more info, there’s a new Q&A up here:

http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/featured/rogue-system-qa-bringing-hard-core-simulation-space/

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Nice one Crisis.

Are you still on for the Feb Kickstarter?.

Crisis
      Participant

Things are looking good so far, yes. It’ll probably begin sometime during the week of the 11th. It really will come down to how quickly Kickstarter approves the campaign after we submit it.

Obviously, the biggest thing we can do now is try to keep spreading the word as best we can between now and then. ANY help in this would be very appreciated…

There should be a couple more articles coming up soon. I’ll post again when they’re ready. Cheers…

Crisis
      Participant

Hi all,

The kickstarter campaign has just launched, giving us 35 days to meet our goal. Here’s the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1298800608/rogue-system

Likewise, here’s a link to the Kickstarter trailer I just uploaded: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZOwZNvOhP4

Any help in spreading the word would be MOST appreciated! Thank you 🙂

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Stuck your kickstarter to the front page Crisis, hope that helps Rogue System in making its goal.  Nice trailer btw.

Crisis
      Participant

Thank you SO much for that! Every little bit helps and is greatly appreciated. Glad you liked the trailer 🙂

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Pledged although that $300k target is a huge mountain to climb. 

Crisis
      Participant

Pledged although that $300k target is a huge mountain to climb. 

It is; but it’s also absolutely attainable. RogSys is starting on the back foot a bit, so it’ll take a couple days to get moving.  Had to be honest though–I could have set the goal lower, but it wouldn’t have provided the team I’d need to achieve the base goal properly…

Thanks so much for the pledge. I do appreciate it…

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Excellent start video on Kickstarter Crisis, look forward to seeing more of them.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Update on how the funds are to be used.

At another site, a comment came up about exactly how funds from each goal would be spent. I’ll try to clarify a bit more.

On average, a programmer or experienced artist typically earns around 50K per year (some more, some less). As this is a two-year project every 200K goal is going to the hiring of two more people at 100K each.

For example, in the 500K stretch goal I mention bringing on a tools programmer as well as an additional content artist. Both of these will be for the full two years, thus most of the goals funds would go to salaries, with the remainders going to things such as software licenses (a seat of 3D studio max will run around 4K or more per seat).

In addition, there are other operating expenses from equipment to even having a CPA prepare state and federal taxes.  If I’ve planned well then I may even be able to set aside a bit for a “rainy day”–emergencies and such; or we can save enough to start working on the next Extension Module. But, for the most part, most of the money for each tier goes to salaries.

I can’t give precise specifics simply because you never know exactly how things will turn out. I could find a kick a** entry level artist and, because of his experience level, their salary could be a bit lower. Or, I could find a REALLY great, experienced programmer–their’s would be higher than average.

But, that’s about as transparent as I can be. Most of your money will go to the people who will work to bring Rogue System to you, and the tools they’ll need to do it.

Crisis
      Participant

Thanks for posting this. I’m actually working on a goal chart that will define how funds are to be used a bit more clearly…

Crisis
      Participant

Just FYI–there’s a new video up. No music or any of that other jazz–just me talking through part of a manual start and explaining some of the core systems along the way. This is part 1 of 3. Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nohF6uLkvvQ

Cheers all

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Very impressive vid  😎 certainly  set Rogue system apart from E:D and SC.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Part 2 up, detail some of the pilot avatar features and some of the funding aspect of Kickstarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF2cW7ovAdU

Crisis
      Participant

Ah, beat me to it. Thanks 🙂

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

A couple of quick question for you Crisis will the enemy pilots suffer from the same handicaps as you pilots avatar.

Also do you intend to have any alien races which are able to handle the G force better than human pilots.

Crisis
      Participant

Yes, the enemy AI suffer the same things as the player’s pilot, both physically and emotionally. A character is a character, be they human or NPC–the data is the same. The only reason RogSys cares about what type of character it is is so it knows what to do with the data…

In the initial campaign of the Core Modular, no. As part of a great story arch, yes. Their ships and tolerances would be much different…

Crisis
      Participant

Hi all,

Video 3 in the series is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hETLZvUSZE

Cheers…

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Finally got to sit down and watch Rogue System video #2 & 3. I just really enjoy the small details you have created with the HUD and the pilot, can the HUD be interacted with without clicking on icons? Can you use the keyboard or maybe even macro the pre-check/startup?

And really commend you on all the updates you have been making on kickstarter and answering questions. As you stated in your video your goal is attainable its just whether all the people that are thinking about pledging do so, because more people will pledge if they see the game has momentum behind it. I will do what I can.

Crisis
      Participant

Thanks for the kind words and your support. 

As to your question: every command can be assigned to a hot key or game controller button or axis (be it a game pad, throttle quadrant, joystick, etc–as long as it uses the game controller interface). So, in theory, you never HAVE to use the clickable cockpit at all…

As you can see, I’ve been thinking about this stuff for a LONG time 🙂

Crisis
      Participant

Just a quick head’s up–BumbleBee was kind enough to extract Rogue System’s portion of their recent 8-hour webcast. Here’s the link if you’re interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5O1GrLRFmxo

Cheers…

auryx
      Participant

If anyone is interested in a bit more info, there’s a new Q&A up here:

http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/featured/rogue-system-qa-bringing-hard-core-simulation-space/

Wow! How have I never heard of that spacegame site?!? An excellent companion to Space Sim Central 🙂

auryx

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Plenty of updates from Michael and still 16 days to go but the total a long way of the target.

BrianRubin
      Participant

Wow! How have I never heard of that spacegame site?!? An excellent companion to Space Sim Central 🙂

auryx

Thank you very much, I work very hard on it, and I hope you’ll visit often. 🙂

Crisis
      Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11z26m_CbkU

New vid–focus on some system damage due to combat…

Crisis
      Participant

Also, there’s a new podcast up over at spacegamejunkie.com covering RogSys–well worth a listen: http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/podcasts/sgj-podcast-03-rogue-system-qa-michael-juliano/

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

This last video shows off so much and very impressed on the attention to detail Crisis.

– When you were taking damage to some subsystems and you are hearing the noises, visual queues and even smoke. That’s just great for immersion.

– I liked the way the shield reacted to hits, looked great.

– Loved the background noise for the engines and what sounds like air flow to the cockpit

Now when you were in combat Crisis I saw your target reticle and I thought I saw a smaller dot  on the HUD does that play into targeting because sometimes I thought you were shooting towards that smaller dot.

Crisis
      Participant

This last video shows off so much and very impressed on the attention to detail Crisis.

– When you were taking damage to some subsystems and you are hearing the noises, visual queues and even smoke. That’s just great for immersion.

– I liked the way the shield reacted to hits, looked great.

– Loved the background noise for the engines and what sounds like air flow to the cockpit

Now when you were in combat Crisis I saw your target reticle and I thought I saw a smaller dot  on the HUD does that play into targeting because sometimes I thought you were shooting towards that smaller dot.

Well, in this first implementation you have the lead-computed site, as well as the fixed reticle. I was getting a bit distracted shooting and talking at the same time, so maybe at those times I wasn’t just aiming properly (unless you’re talking about the fixed reticle itself) 🙂

Thanks for the kind words.

Crisis
      Participant

Hi all.

A new video is up–this time showing some celestial elements of the dynamic galaxy. At the 1:20 mark, if you look at the dark side of the planet, you can see some city lights as well as lightning flashes…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzaAheV4lFc

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

cool vid Crisis but I have to admit that I can not see anything at the 1:20 mark.

Crisis
      Participant

You have to full screen it at high detail. You can see some “city” lights at 1:17 (the effect is a bit subtle right now–planetary shader isn’t final). Right after that you will see some lightning flashes if you look just past the terminator from day to night. *I* didn’t even see them at first until I watched the vid a few times…

If your monitor gamma is on the darker side you may not be able to see it…

Crisis
      Participant
      One final video in this series–this one cover landing and basic ship shutdown 🙂 

Thanks for all the great comments and support the past few weeks!
      PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Another excellent vid Crisis you have run a great Kickstarter it’s a shame the game has just not being able to find the backers.

One positive outcome of the Kickstarters is that I see from the the updates that you have found some people who are willing to work on the game.

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

As always Crisis a nice video that shows off something simple, but it really does contain a lot of small details for the folks that love the details. i did really like the concept of talking securely with stations/npcs and things like that, thought it was a nice touch. Actually sticking in the frequency might be a cumbersome like you stated.

What will happen to the player when trying to dock with a station and lets say you fire off some weapons or you crash inside the hanger? Any damage to the station or station go on the offense with you?

Crisis
      Participant

Hi. Thanks for the kind words, as always.

The station would receive damage, yes, and most likely if you crashed while landing the bay itself would be damaged and out of service for a time. Going offensive–that would depend on your standing with the station in question, and how aggressive you were being at the moment.

Yeah, there are going to be two far better methods for entering the channels if you decide to do it manually. I just had to work with the system I currently had at the time 🙂

Without a doubt, the funding aspect aside, I’m in a much better position now as opposed to when I started the KS. It’s all good 🙂

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

A kickstarter post from Crisis announcing that the game will continue .

Hi all,

Well, there’s about 3 hours to go, and although we had a great day yesterday and today it of course wasn’t enough. The goal wasn’t reached; but there’s some numbers that I’d like to share that make me very happy–all of which due to the Kickstarter effort. Here’s the before / after:

• YouTube Subscribers: ~80 / 474 and climbing
      • Video Views: ~18000 / 78,419 and climbing
      • FaceBook Likes: ~32 / 142 and climbing
      • Rogue System-related articles: 1 / 5 (and two more in the works)
      • Website Visits: ~1900 / 8553 and climbing

Plus, one Podcast (and another happening next week), as well as a new subreddit. So, while not funded, the RogSys name is rather firmly planted within the genre now and this will be crucial in the future. 

Now, I made some obvious mistakes during the campaign (live and learn), other things were beyond my control. It’s also too bad that promises aren’t all that important to keep for some. In any case, it’s all water under the bridge–so where to go from here?

What’s next:

Firstly, I’ll return to working on Rogue System as I was before the Kickstarter (full time rFactor2 work during the day, RogSys in the evening). The difference now being that I’ve had some great offers of assistance that will help move things along a bit faster. With voluntary help you never know exactly how much can be provided, or when someone has to leave the project; but, some help is far better than NONE 🙂

Near-Term Funding:

As for funding, I’ve had a couple investment offers, but none are a certainty at this point so I can’t offer any more info currently. I also can’t rely on them panning out 100%–just like Kickstarter proved, nothing is a certainty until it happens. So, after thinking long and hard about it I’m going to move to a “Minecraft”-like donation model over at the RogSys website. This is what I’m thinking (assuming nothing needs to be altered for legal reasons):

• Any donation of $1.00 or more will sign you up for a monthly newsletter
      • Any donation of $20.00 or more will add you to the “Test team”–giving you access to the first public PRE-alpha version through to the final Core Module release candidate
      • Any donation of $20.00 or more will give you access to a private “Test Team” section of the forum where we can discuss the current test release and development ideas
      • Donations can be used toward the purchase of the Core Module, and any other item, if/when released (eventually, all KS reward items will be made available, and I’ll make sure they are for equivalent amounts)
      • Donations are, by nature, voluntary, “at your own risk,” and non-refundable. Without proper funding I can’t make any promises (beyond the newsletter and use of any released public test versions) as to release dates or final content
      • If full funding is found via other means (such as a large investment) your donation will still be allowed to be applied toward released items, and you will remain as a member of the “Test Team”
      • Donations are not considered investments
      • Donations will be used towards the development of Rogue System
      • There will be a list of both short and long term funding goals, as well as a running total of donations-to-date, displayed on the front page of the website

So, let’s say you donate $25 dollars, as an example. That donation would add you to the test team, with access to the test team forum area. Later, assuming the release of the Core Module and other items, you can apply your donation to their cost. I’m PLANNING a $20 cost for the Core Module, and $5 for the digital version of the Soundtrack CD. With your previous donation of $25 you could get both items at no cost. (Note: if private investment funding is found, prices may change a bit, but I’ll do my best to retain that $20 price for the CM).

For the first public pre-alpha test version you will be able to walk within the Station hangar, enter your ship, take off, fly around, land, and exit the ship. But, there are a few things that have to happen before I can release this:

• Implementation of a basic front-end UI (user-interface) that allows controls to be set up easily
      • First-pass implementation of final core ship-system functionality
      • Proper design pass on the Station and the first player-flyable ship
      • First-Pass implementation of Station Exterior
      • First-pass implementation of Station hangar interior
      • First-pass implementation of the first player-flyable ship

I’m implementing this funding option as many people have asked for it. I do NOT expect everyone to be excited about this plan as it involves some risk. By all means, if you do not feel comfortable with it, do NOT donate! You will still be able to receive new information and screenshots via the website to keep track of development progress, and I’d love to continue to have your input at the public area of the forums.

If full funding is eventually acquired and I can build a proper team with concrete scheduling, then I’ll be able to set some solid goals that I can be held accountable for. Until then, this is my alternative for those that wish to take part in it…

Useful Links:

Thank You:

Finally, I want to thank each and every one of you for all the kind words, encouragement, and generosity shown over the past 35 days. I truly wish I could have rewarded you all with a successful campaign. However, I’m very thankful and honored to have encountered such fine people!

I’d also like to thank Gjon Camaj and Joe Campana of Image Space Incorporated for allowing me to attempt this AND retain my position at ISI. Not many employers would have been as supportive!

Now, I’m going to give a few days back to my family–I certainly owe them some time. Then I’ll set about finishing the rework on the new website, restructuring the forums, and getting the donation system set up. I’ll send an update through Kickstarter (which I learned I can do) when everything is ready to go. I hope it won’t be more than two weeks…

Rogue System WILL be made. If anything I am more motivated than ever! We’re just going to have to go about it the hard way. I hope many of you will come along for the ride. I’ll do my best to keep in entertaining 😉

Michael

PinbackPinback
      Administrator
      PinbackPinback
      Administrator
      PinbackPinback
      Administrator
      PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Blog update http://www.roguesystemsim.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=146&sid=17f301811b8adefee99c8c1799ec8ff2

Very nice update on Colony Ship/Orbital Station.

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I’m back this week with a chat about how I concept, and an early look at the Nythian Colony Ship/Orbital Station.

My concept method progresses in three steps. First, I do rough sketches of the object in question, very quick and fast, until I get a basic design that I’m happy with. Next, I’ll take those sketches and translate them to 3D with a basic model (what you see below). I take into account not only how the object looks visually, but in the case of ships for RogSys I also have to keep their functionality in mind. Once I have the basic model built I’ll do a render of it and, in Photoshop, do a proper surface study (types of materials, aging, lighting, paint, etc) and add fine details (conduits, cables, antennas, etc). Thus, this creates the final concept piece that serves as a guide for final modeling and texturing.

So, as I said, what you’re seeing here is the second step–the render I’ll use to create the final concept.

OrbStat_WIP_zpsc0337c66.jpg

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

New update about the Nythian Colony Ship/Orbital Station http://www.roguesystemsim.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=147&sid=6bfbe8593a2d8a688fba6fb442528f36

NythianOrbStat_CONCEPT_zps83d4c52a.jpg

Love the look and style here, too me it look very like the 1950/60 Nasa art style.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Another update detailing the inside of the station. 😎 read it here http://www.roguesystemsim.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=148&sid=7a7a85dd2779d1c89db42c3f32f823f8

OrbStatHangarINT_CONCEPT_zps417f3c93.jpg

Well, while not 100% finished, I’ve spent as much time as I can on the concept for the hangar interior of the Orbital Station. Really, all that is missing are fine details–vents, small close-up paint and markings, etc. So, that said, here’s what I have for the pre-alpha version:

The first thing you might notice is that I placed some people here and there to give a sense of scale, and there’s a smaller freighter in the background. Hopefully this will give you a feel for the size of the space. The next thing that will catch your attention is probably the blue force field. This is a “Plasma Window” (you can get some more info on plasma windows on wikipedia). The purpose of the plasma window is to reduce atmosphere loss when the exterior door is open. So, basically you’ll “taxi” from your docking slip to the holding area, the plasma window engages behind you and the outer door opens. After you leave the exterior door closes behind you as quickly as possible.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Another ship update http://www.roguesystemsim.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=152&sid=0ee56a4692cd70b18d16f390bbc731f9

This week’s concept image showcases the S-31c “FireArc,” built by Galactic Starfarer Industries. The FireArc is actually a re-purposed S-31b “Star Ferry” shuttle, used to ferry passengers from one station to another within the local star system. When your system is overrun, the powers-that-be quickly realize that the only way to defend the system is to go on the offensive. In desperation, they make use of their surplus of Star Ferry shuttles, upgrading the armor and adding various offensive and defensive systems.

GSI_S31_CONCEPT_zps2c6fa659.jpg

Love the retro look of the game. 😎

PinbackPinback
      Administrator
      sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Some great work being done here. Rogue System definitely needs more attention.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Update about texturing the ship http://www.roguesystemsim.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=169&sid=64a396bf6d8a057c5ee7c0ada3b37195

This is basic diffuse texturing–there’s no normal or displacement maps, specular maps, etc. Those are pretty straight-forward though compared to getting a good UV mapping set up along with a nice diffuse map. As for the ship, this is the main hull with no cockpit module attached, nor is there an engine mounted. You can see the vacant left main weapon mount and upper attachment point (again for things like secondary weapon hardpoints, escape pods, etc). Finally, the radiators are fully extended.

S31_EXTwBASICTEX_zps0c0efb16.jpg

Very nice. 😎

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Some excellent news from Rogue System http://www.roguesystemsim.com/VForums/discussion/23/rogue-system-finds-publishing-partner#Item_1

Simulator to the PC

League City, TX – 11/05/2013 – Digits Crossed Interactive (DCI) is pleased to announce that it has entered into a publishing agreement with Image Space Incorporated (ISI) to bring Rogue System–a new Space Combat Simulator that blends the classic space combat gameplay of the 90’s with the detail and fidelity of a modern “hardcore” flight simulator—to the PC. 

“I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to work with ISI,” says Michael Juliano, owner and founder of DCI. “They see in Rogue System an intriguing variation to typical space combat sims and are fully supportive of my vision for it.” Expanding on this, Gjon Camaj, Vice President of Development at Image Space Incorporated says, “We are excited to partner with Michael and his vision for Rogue System. It is great to see his passion as he helps to reinvent the space sim genre.”

Rogue System’s Core Module will take space sim gameplay in a unique direction by allowing players to take control of their ship at system and sub-system levels from pre-flight to post-flight. Players will need to know their ship inside and out to get the most out of it at all times, especially during combat. Later, Expansion Modules will extend the life of Rogue System by adding new ships, campaigns and gameplay styles.

Rogue System’s two-year development cycle officially began on November 1st, 2013. The first major goal is for the release of an early, playable Alpha version in 1st quarter 2015. The Gold release of the Core Module is scheduled for 2nd quarter 2016.

Digits Crossed Interactive, LLC was formed on January 2, 2013. Its founder, Michael Juliano, has 14 years’ experience in the game development industry. ISI was founded in 1992. Their first title was Zone Raiders, published by Virgin Interactive. After creating a series of racing titles for EA they moved to self-publishing with the rFactor racing sim series.

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Congrats Crisis, this game was meant to be and now we should all see it in 2015. PC only or will you try to get it on next gen consoles too?

Crisis
      Participant

Thanks 🙂

For now, it will be solely on the PC.  I would like to support others, but that would require more funding than is currently available.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Video update 😎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBC0UvIQ3Us

A short review of the work completed during Nov, 2013.
      http://www.roguesystemsim.com

Notes: The old, prototype station is too small to properly hold the new ship design; the cockpit module does not have lighting yet and is very dark; there is not yet a smooth transition from standing to sitting at a station; and several small elements of the main ship interior have not yet been added.

Much of what is shown here was already working in the prototype but with a smaller scope. The newly refined code allows for much wider gameplay possibilities while being more efficient.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Another pr alpha video, video is a little on the dark side in less it my monitor setting.

Details of whats been going on can be found in the new blog entry http://www.roguesystemsim.com/VForums/discussion/35/dev-entry-12-jan-2014#Item_1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FsDXogWcUU

codemachineman
      Participant

This game looks amazing! I especially like the attention to detail on flight systems. Very cool  😎

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Getting better all the time, and I like the attention to detail that Rogue System is putting in-place.

Anonymous

Wow …. this is going to complex. This is similar to MS Flight Simulator X with the PDGM 737NGX 800/900.

I bet this will be a huge manual you will have to read to get the bloody thing to start.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Another little W.I.P video 😎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJAC2_ZNsjo

Just a quick vid showing some elements of the Leadwerks engine integration. Lots of work to do still, and plenty of art to be converted to the new format (hence the holes in the geo), but functionally we’re just about back to where we were.

NOTE: The lighting running the length of the ship’s “neck” is supposed to be tied to the lighting when turned on and off. A bit of a bug there…

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Another mini update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i__PQikBhU8

Just a quick vid mainly to show the completion of the Leadwerks 3.1 engine integration. All the key elements that were in the old engine are back, except for the system display (which will come from a new GUI engine).

All the core ship systems (batteries, fuel cells, temperature management, etc) are back online and working very well.

There is still missing geometry for the station (been focusing all my time on getting things running again), as well as a small timing bug in the seat animation which causes the hatch to cut into it for a quick moment (early in the vid).

Also, I was running in debug mode (along with using Fraps), hence the low FPS…

The old milestone review videos will start up again beginning in June. Thanks for your patience during this unexpected hill I had to climb 😉

As always, for more info check out the forums here: http://www.roguesystemsim.com/VForums/

The website is in the middle of a make-over, which should be finished soon…

Looking good 😎

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Another small dev vid. 😎 😎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O2NDgZkUxo

http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/

After the removal of all the prototype code, and the sudden change from one engine to another, everything is back in place and it is again possible to fly in space.

This is the closing moments of my first test flight as I approach the station I departed from earlier.

Some notes: There’s a few graphics glitches here and there (holes in geo, etc) due to not yet completed art. I have not yet implemented controller axis dead bands, so it’s a bit difficult to null out accelerations manually. Finally, planets and moons have no texturing nor advanced surface shaders yet.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Short WIP video

A short video demonstrating recently completed work on the COMMS system and Space Traffic Control (STC) logic, as well as preliminary COMMS Menu UI and message creation.

The various small “holes” in the station geo are known issues as some elements have not yet been exported.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkJjCGhJq6s

auryx
      Participant

Glad to see this one is still moving along, I am very impressed so far.

auryx

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

He seem to be moving along with it but I think the pitch of the game has changed as originally it was more of a Wing commander mission based game IIRC, now it seems more open world/ sandbox type of gameplay.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

This is just looking better and better. 😎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eijwJq1s6_0

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Another short video showing the scanner and weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9odaDhcDBo

auryx
      Participant

I love everything about this game so far – but especially the brilliant cockpit and the attention to realism in the modelling. Can’t say that I remember Wing Commander’s mass drivers propelling you away from your target! 😀

auryx

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Not one but two video showing planets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDEOFxBbGBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE8n6UO0LUs

Awesome  😎  😎  😎 

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Another short video about views. 😎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL3-_QfzOpg

Nice idea seem to remember that aircraft maker were thing about something similar where they would remove all the windows and project the outside view on to the interior of the aircraft.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Another short video of RS showcasing early IA steering, headup symbols and weapons impact. 😎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bciaD5cIImc

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Video about the sound design on the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXr1Rxw080Y

RogSys website: http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/

Early Main Menu Track: https://soundcloud.com/michael-mannin…

Michael Manning, the sound designer for RogSys, was kind enough to put this quick vid together demonstrating the multi-layered approach taken for the Maneuvering Thruster System.

The sound design is still in the early stages, but it should give you an idea of where we’re headed.

Also, if you look in the second line of the description, you’ll find a link to an early revision of RogSys’ Main Menu music track using an early version of the RogSys main theme.

Finally, Michael asked me to apologize as sometimes his video editing software sometimes adds some stray clicks…

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

New video up for RS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht68_Q0nbIo

And even better news is the possibility of an early access release from this posting on Kickstarter.

This shows docking at external ports, displays and more.

Also, I wanted you all to know that I expect to have the first public Early-Access release CANDIDATE build in the next two or three weeks. This will obviously require testing, and there can be many release candidates before a good build is ready. That said, I expect the first public Early-Access to be available in the next one or two months.

Of course, content will be minimum at first–probably just a few tutorial scenarios to start with. We really want our core audience to be involved during the phase where we begin layering game play on top of all the fundamental systems I’ve been working on for the past 15 months.

Anyway, again, just wanted to check in with the latest.

Cheers…

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Some more good news as Rogue System goes early access.

From the newsletter that just went out:

Early Access Now Available

While the media announcements will happen tomorrow, I’m very pleased to say that Rogue System, eAccess Version 0.0.6.9.15a is now available for purchase. In fact, “pleased” is not a strong enough word; and I’m honestly at a loss for what is. I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who has offered me a word of encouragement or support in the past–you all definitely helped me to push through the hard times to get RogSys to where it is today.

As for this initial eAccess version: While content is currently minimal at best, it is based now on a foundation that allows me to confidently start layering on the true gameplay that will make up the bulk of Rogue System’s Core Module. As I’ve often said, I feel it’s very important to get it in players hands early, giving you all the chance to offer ideas and suggestions, catch mistakes and bugs; and all at a stage in development when there is time to act on the feedback. Beyond that, but no less important, the financial support early-access will provide will allow me to expand the RogSys development team. Hiring talented people to help create the assets that will drive Rogue System, and getting them working as soon as possible, will give it the best possible chance of success. Thus, out of necessity, early-access needs to begin.

With that, I hope you’ll join me as Rogue System enters this new phase of development. It’s my hope that together we’ll see it grow into a challenging, entertaining, unique title within the space combat/exploration genre. Thank you all for your support. I truly, truly appreciate it.

Purchasing – http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/p/buyeaccess/

Feedback/Bugs, etc – http://isiforums.net/f/forumdisplay.php/166

Sincerely,

Michael Juliano – Digits Crossed Interactive

Couple of points here 1 no mention of the size of the download or who or where it being download through? and weather you can use PayPal?.

nozmajner
      Participant

Yeah, you can pay with PayPal. They host the download on their site and mediafire too. It’s about 240mb.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Yeah, you can pay with PayPal. They host the download on their site and mediafire too. It’s about 240mb.

Thanks for the info  Nozmajner :good:

Have bought the game but unfortunately have problems downloading it will try again later but I think I may have to wait till it finds its way onto Steam.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Just the early access video, nicely done. 😎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TehyuECYkvQ

de5me7
      Participant

spent 20mins messing around in this today. MAN ALIVE! this game is complex. You can have fun games of see what damage you can do to your ship by pressing random buttons. Eventually i purged all my oxygen 🙂

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

New update to RS.

DCI and ISI are very happy to announce that the first of the planned monthly updates (version 0.1.7.15.15 eAccess) for Rogue System eAccess has been released. This updates includes a number of fixes and changes based on initial-release feedback from eAccess backers. Likewise, a lot of work was done in an effort to support the ability to travel from one local celestial body to another. This includes the introduction of basic FLUX Drive functionality, various indicators and HUD displays to help visualize velocity vectors, and more auto-pilot modes.

Public relation commitments due to the launch of early access did take up some of the development time; so a couple scheduled items did not make it into the update. I felt it more important to get the update out and establish the idea that I will not allow one or two items to throw off the development schedule. Thus, the items that did not make the update will be worked into the upcoming schedule as time permits.

That said, the ultimate goal for the update–to traverse space from one body to another, and then establish an orbit there–was achieved. I’m very pleased about this as it sets up the foundation for missions that will require extended travel from one location to another.

Finally, a big THANKS to all the folks who have already gotten involved with early access. Already your input has made a large, positive difference in RogSys’ development. I look forward to working closely with the growing RogSys community over the coming months!

Sincerely,

Michael Juliano

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Update 3 to RS.

You’ll notice that the change log for update 3 isn’t as long as in previous updates. This happens when the update is art-heavy, as was the case with this. The preliminary modeling, both exterior and interior, for the first final player-flyable ship (1 of 3 for the Core Module) is finished. The ship is not yet ready for player use (no interior controls, not yet textured, no collision, etc), but the goal of getting the base modeling completed and getting the initial data file set up was completed. As such, you’ll find the new ship drifting aimlessly around ONE of the celestial bodies in our test star system (in Tutorial 7)–have fun finding it 🙂 This should give you at least SOME excuse to try out the NAS and autopilot updates concerning Constant-G orbital transfer.

It’s now possible to use the XFER Panel (a function located in the HMD Navigation page) to set up a transfer from one body to another using the FLUX Drive. Coupled with SLEEP/SAN, you can travel across the system in a time frame conducive to upcoming gameplay. Check the Update Announcement post at the forums for a quick tutorial. Likewise, Deephack should have a tutorial video up in a few days that will go into more details.

Otherwise, there was time for a few additional tweaks, changes and fixes. One of these is that the local star now properly gives off radiation. This means that flying too close to the star will most certainly bake you and your ship.

As always, thank you all for your continued support!

Sincerely,

Michael Juliano

Founder, Digits Crossed Interactive

Longer version of the above video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qfZhzeY1t0

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Short video of ship to ship docking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI6bh4puy4M

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Update 4 out.

As always, I’m very pleased to announce Rogue System Update #4 is now available. Again, due to an art-heavy update cycle, the changelog for Update 4 is shorter than some previous updates.

The main goal for this update was originally to get both the interior and exterior art done for the new player-flyable ship–the “Flying Fox”. However, this art needs to be strong enough for videos, and screenshots, not to mention that fact that we’ll be looking at it until the next refinement pass (sometime in late Alpha). So, I decided to spend the update strictly on the exterior, and get it to 70% of completion. Once this was done, I was able to move on to code for the remainder of the update cycle.

Code-wise, I really wanted to get the AI to aim more precisely. Not only is this required for direct targeting, it’s also important for precision maneuvers and piloting in general. After a bit of work the AI aiming is now more accurate. However, they are still slow to get the ship aligned with the aim point. I’ll be working to improve this in the next few weeks. A new addition is the idea that signals can be blocked by celestial bodies, as well as degrade over range. This includes communications and localizer signals. To demo this, a music channel has been added to each training platform. If you dial in the proper frequency, receive a good signal, and press the “CHNL AUDIO” button on the COMMS keypad you will here some placeholder music that Michael has added. An example of a valid music frequency would be 45.2.301

Finally, I cleaned up several other small bugs, including a couple well-hidden crash bugs. In particular, I found a rather nasty bug that was causing ships, which began in orbit around distant bodies, to shoot off into space. Turns out there was a series of bugs working together to trigger this behavior, and they are now squashed. As such, I added a “sandbox” single mission which puts an object in orbit around each body in our test star system.

Sincerely,

Michael Juliano

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

New update to RS.

Hello everyone!

With November and December being shorter months due to Thanksgiving and Christmas, I realized I would not have enough time in either month for a full update cycle. So, I’ve taken the tasks for Update 5 and split them up into two smaller updates: Update 4.5 (this), and Update 5.0 in December (around the 20th).

Work on the Flying Fox interior continues; and although I made good progress, it’s not yet controllable. I was going to try and set it up so you could at least walk around in it; but I decided to not do that and spend that time working on more gameplay-critical elements. In this case, ship-to-ship collisions. A low-level bug which caused collisions to be missed is why they were disabled before the start of eAccess. This has been debugged, and so they are now enabled.

This is a first-pass implementation, and while ship-to-ship collisions work pretty good already you will notice some oddities, I’m sure. Under certain situations you can cause your ship to pass through another, for example. The main goal right now was to make sure collisions were registered and acted on. Testing and refinement will clean them up. Internal system damaged based on impact force is applied; but obviously is not yet final. The prototype FireArc (your ship) can take a bit of a beating due to the armor. The training platform is NOT armored however and can be damaged easily–be careful during docking!

Another goal for Update 5 is control binding refinements. A few of these have gone in for this update. First, you can now “double up” control bindings to the same keys based on the current mode. For example, the “W” key can now be used for both walking forward AND translating the ship forward. The second addition is the ability to assign a joystick/gamepad button as a modifier for other joystick/gamepad buttons. This lays the ground work to later allow you to create other modifiers so you can come up with several key/button combinations. Currently, the button modifier ONLY works for other joystick/gamepad buttons–it does not yet affect axes or hats. However, many joystick hats and gamepad D-Pads are represented as buttons, so the modifier would work on these.

NOTE: The control binding updates will probably require you to rebind some controls. Sorry in advance for the inconvenience.

Again, due to the continued artwork gamecode work continues to be slower; so, I hope you excuse the shortened changelog…

Sincerely,

Michael Juliano

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

I almost forget this game is still in development, has there been a mention of a release date… 2016?

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Off hand I can’t remember if they sad anything about a release date but I’m hoping for a Steam early access first before any finale release of the game.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Dev update http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/25660-Developer-s-Journal big news for me is that their maybe a Steam release and I will be able to download it at last.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I seriously can’t believe another year has come and gone–seems like it was just yesterday that I was beginning to ramp up for the 1st eAccess release around this time last year. Now it’s 2016 and I’m ramping up for the upcoming Steam early access release. I’m not sure of an exact time frame yet, but it is coming. So, before I go any further I just want to take a quick moment and say THANK YOU to all of the current eAccess community. The support and feedback you all have given thus far has been thoughtful, well-written, and very useful (although the usefulness may not be readily apparent yet). With that, let’s talk about a few things going into the new year.

Interesting post as he looks like he may be reaching that burn out phase but has realized it himself and hopefully will have managed it better.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

New update and test version out.

It’s been a hectic time from the end of last year until now; and much of the work done during this period was rather time consuming. Interior art for the new ship continued to eat a majority of it, especially when it came to the cockpit controls. Not only was there art though, but all the hard-coded UI systems HAD to come out, now being replaced by external frameworks that allowed for UI config files. Of course, this also meant that a bunch of code had to be written to interpret the external data, and legacy code removed. Basically what this means is that now new ships can either use a default control UI scheme, or a new one can easily be added via the external framework. This will make customizing and localizing UI (as well as adding new ships) by both modders and myself MUCH easier. This is important since there are still two player-controlled ships that MUST go in for the Core Module release.

Along with this, a LOT of time was spent going over the functionality of each ship system, and making revisions based on player feedback and bug reports. Of particular interest, the VMS (Viewport Monitor System) now uses proper render textures for the external view (rather than the old “window” approach). One of the benefits of this is that you can now cycle through multiple exterior static cameras, in order to get a better awareness of your surroundings, without always having to switch to an external camera. Also, and while not complete, work has been done on the MFD/EFD system. Where as before you had to “click” into and out of an MFD in order to control it, now all you need to do is “look” at it–the MFD pointer/caret slaves to where you are looking. This will make working with these displays seamless.

I DO recommend that you DO NOT “install” this version of Rogue System over your existing version. The reason is that SO much has changed that the old FireArc prototype ship no longer works with the new code. Likewise, since the new ship does not yet have a completed set of MFD functions (for NAV, COMMS and targeting, etc), nor does it yet have the docking display available on the new VMS system, it does not yet work with the already existing tutorial missions. In fact, you will only find ONE “mission” with this update, and that is the same test scenario that I’ve been using while developing the Flying Fox. So, keep your old install so you can continue to play the current missions (until the next update when all the work will be finished and all the missions updated).

The next two updates will prepare Rogue System for an early access release on Steam (don’t worry, existing players will receive a Steam key if they want one at no charge). New gameplay will be going in to support this, so look out for these upcoming releases.

As always, thank you all for your continued support, and indeed for your patience during this extended update cycle!

Best Regards,

Michael Juliano

Freaking awesome as I have been waiting for news about the Steam release. 😎  😎  😎

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Long time coming with this one. Glad to see it will be on steam soon, wonder how long it will be in early access?

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

No date been given but hopefully some time towards the end of this year, if not sooner.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Surprised to find the game on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/366000 awaiting for them to send out the Steam key.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kti6jlpKFIU

Bit of a faffing about with the steam key but have got it downloaded and I can honestly say I no idea what to do as my random pressing of the keyboard is not working. :biggrin: is their a tutorial some where?.

Edit I must going blind as their are a number of tutorials, maybe they should separate the missions from the tutorials missions better.

deMangler
      Participant

Been a long time since I visited this forum 🙂 Rogue System has got me back into Space Sim games. Don’t normally do Steam much but thought I would transfer my key so I could do a good review on Steam. 

This game is amazing could do with more coverage.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Totally agree, pretty amazing job so far and I’m looking forward to see where this going although I will say that it will only appeal to a few as it’s very much a simulation rather the normal arcade type of game.

MV2000
      Participant

I will say that it will only appeal to a few as it’s very much a simulation rather the normal arcade type of game.

Unless if someone can magically spread the appeal to the masses like what happened to DCS (IIRC its popularity soared after Giantbomb did quicklook at DCS Huey or something).

Wouldn’t be that far however remembering the base DCS module is technically free.

dazzytech
      Participant

It’s brilliant to look at earlier posts and then see the newest builds.

Just see how things change and improve over the years.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Another video from slaphead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EjTgQREcwk

I have too admit that I’m in total awe of this game which is strange as I would never have touched Orbiter with a ten foot barge pole.

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Steam just did an update which I thought was this one, but it’s says it’s for the test branch?. http://steamcommunity.com/games/366000/announcements/detail/895474251947745449

I knew this update was going to take a bit longer due to the art that had to be done for the new OPS satellite–my apologies for that. On that subject, there is now an Orbital Positioning System (OPS) for moons/planets that have orbiting OPS sats. Currently when within 10,000 km of one of these bodies, you ship will attempt to register with the local OPS. When it does, you can allow your sensor to use OPS data to select/target other ship (even when they would normally not appear on your sensor). When one of these registered ships is selected, you can bring up OPS data for it. This preliminary version of OPS includes a ship’s hull data, register information, and orbital data (apoapsis, periapsis, etc). You can continue to track OPS-registered ships, even when on the far-side of the moon/planet. With this, you will have a far easier time finding ships when arriving to a new location.

The OPS sats had to be powered by SOMETHING other than batteries, hence the introduction of solar panels. I added functionality that will allow ship builders to tag polygons as solar panel surfaces. Once tagged, RogSys will determine their orientation relative to the local star, and then calculate how much power is generated at that moment. If a ship rolls its solar panels away from the star, they can not generate power.

With this same technology, I completely finalized the radiator implementation. Now, pointing your radiators away from the local star will greatly increase their efficiency. This worked well, so I was finally able to tweak the laser coolers so they act as originally intended–as supplimental / emergency cooling. Your radiators are now your primary cooling source. Take some time and learn what configurations to use, and when.

On another note, Roberto (the person who designed the OPS sat) is now working on the EVA suit, so you can expect to be doing some space walking in the near future. For the next update though, I’m going to start work on the Flying Fox’s equipment bay….

Full change log here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/366000/discussions/0/364041776190769973/

As always, thanks for everyone’s support!

EVA coming. 😎

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Update expected tomorrow http://steamcommunity.com/games/366000/announcements/detail/886470803698263205 new bit in the fox.

0.2.01.08p1 is now on the “test” branch, and will be moved to “default” tomorrow if no problems are reported.

Again,this was an expectedly longer update cycle as this one was also very art intensive. Hence, update .08 is being broken up into two parts to reduce the wait time. This part one adds the in-game art for the new equipment bay area of the Flying Fox. To access it, simply float down the ladder shaft and into the equipment bay. Once there, you’ll also see examples of the main breakers, isolation valve resets, and LSS scrubbers. You’ll also find all the component racks for all of the system computers. In part two, the inital ability will be added to start working with this equipment, which will begin to unlock the ability to repair your ship.

Please note, it can be tricky to move around without the ability to control the roll of your character. I’ll be adding this also for .08 part two.

And again, a reminder that this is an art update ONLY. Part two will contain new gameplay code.

As always, please see the change log full details; and, thanks for everyone’s support!

PinbackPinback
      Administrator

At long last part 2 has shown up.http://steamcommunity.com/games/366000/announcements/detail/660169604277283473

Part two of update .08 adds a fair bit of base functionality designed around the equipment bay that was added in .08 part one. It’s now possible to look at equipment, grab it, and carry it around in front of you. This ability is very raw in this first implementation–the core goal being to get handle the mechanics and to create the physical link between your avatar and the carried item. Once carried, a piece of equipment can be installed into the intended “port”. What this allows is the basic ability to remove and replace damaged items. This is a first step to inflight repairs.

For now, two pieces of equipment are available for you to play around with–the MTS computer controller (comptroller), and the LSS scrubber. The scrubbers are located in the equipment bay–click on each to uninstall. Then you can grab, carry, and reinstall them. The small display next to each will show the current state of the installed scubber. The MTS comptroller has a locking handle, which must be unset before you can put the component. Once reinstalled, it must be locked before the comptroller will function again.

Also added were control panels for the various doors leading to, and located in the equipment bay. Each panel also includes a switch to control interior flood lighting. Likewise, the first of many ECS breakers, and isolation valve resets were added. Avatar roll control was also added, and by default is set to F and V (although you may have to set these manually if this is not your first install. Lastly, there were many small fixes and tweaks both relating to this work, as well as other various low-level items–one of which should aid art creation for both myself now, and modders later.

As always, please see the change log below for full details; and, thanks for everyone’s support!

Now if I only find the time to have a look.

sscadminsscadmin
      Administrator

Well Rogue System is still in development (early access on steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/366000/Rogue_System/)

Overall its looking good but I am not getting it until its released… below is some nice videos showing off basic gameplay from a start, doing a missing and docking again, check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hen75moZ9qU
      PinbackPinback
      Administrator

Not been updated since the summer but with very good reason as the developer was in a major accident https://steamcommunity.com/app/366000/discussions/0/1743342647561529690/ so I would imagine it may be a while before we see anything.

Viewing 114 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.