Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Space Engine

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

• Author
    Participant

Yeah, me too! Just imagine some Elite clone with such great graphics 🙂

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Space engine has had a huge update. http://en.spaceengine.org/load/core/spaceengine_0971/2-1-0-18

Major updates:

• 3D water: animated water specular reflections, underwater fog
    • Improved procedural moon system generator
    • Debris rings around planets
    • New landforms: pseudo rivers, shield volcanoes
    • Music player with smooth mixing, context switching of soundtracks, repeat options and other capabilities
    • 25 original soundtracks made by many authors
    • Smart blending of terrain detail textures
    • Detail noise textures on the planetary surface
    • New types of worlds with life, improved lifeform classifications
    • Many improvements with space ships
    • Built-in avi video recorder
    • Fast multi-threaded Star Browser: it uses all CPU cores to generate systems and does not reduce FPS
    • Added Czech, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Swedish and Turkish localizations
    • Installer for SpaceEngine distribution with automatic selection of localization
      Space ships:

• Supporting of emission textures
    • Supporting of modular models
    • Updated Ships Manager: ability to build, rename and destroy spacecrafts, sorting tables by any column
    • Easy installing of ships addons: just copy files into SpaceEngine folder, and new ships become available in the Ships Manager’s build menu
    • Some old ships models changed to modular models
    • New “SS Basic”, “SS Cargo”, “SS Science”, “Fire Dragonfly” and “Skylone” ships
    • Computing the Keplerian orbital elements and rendering the Keplerian orbit of the ship
    • Atmospheric flight physics
    • Spaceship Control Panel with Autopilot buttons
    • Spaceship HUD (Head-Up Display) for atmospheric and space flight modes
    • Ships may have Main engines, Retro (Braking) engines, Hover engines and Correction engines that can be controlled separately
    • New ship control system: rotation with mouse, changing Main Engines and Hover Engines thrust with mouse wheel or by Control Panel, WASD keys controls correction engines only
    • Additional parameters in the spaceship config file (engine thrust, hyperdrive, aerodynamics)
    • Improved autopilot: orientation commands (Prograde, Retrograde etc), and automatic hyperjump to selected body
    • Simulation and Orbital physics modes for spaceships (unfinished, switch modes on the Spaceship Control panel)
    • Static Keplerian orbit mode for space stations artifical satellites
    • Improved warp bubble effect
      Astronomy:

• Improved life classification: new types of lifeforms and biomes, various types of worlds to handle life, new script parameters
    • Reduced density of stellar remnants (black holes, neutron stars and white dwarves)
    • Updated exoplanets catalog
    • Improved star calculator (computing of required parameters based on some parameters given in the script)
    • New parameter Msini (M*sin(i)) in the planet script – used instead of Mass for exoplanets with only M*sin(i) known
    • Procedural generation of orbital inclination in the catalog system for planets with unknown inclination, based on planets with known inclination
    • Computing of actual mass of a planet based on given M*sin(i) and generated orbital inclination
    • New parameters in the planet script – discovery method, discovery date and date of last data update
    • New lines in the planet info table – discovery method, discovery date and M*sin(i)
    • Implemented “HH MM SS” or “DEG MM SS” format for RA and Dec for galaxies, star clusters and nebulae
    • New Vesta, Mercury and Saturn textures and landscape
    • New galaxy and nebula models
    • Increased turbulence on clouds of procedural gas giants
      Interface:

• Updated GUI tables appearance
    • Updated Display Settings menu: options for toggle to fullscreen, choosing fullscreen and windowed mode resolution, VSync, anisotropy level
    • Variable column width in the Star Browser’s table
    • Green text in the Solar System Browser indicates that an object has life or satellites with life
    • Updated localizations and added new ones
    • FPS counter is enabled or disabled via console command “FPS”
    • Changed color of orbits, markers and labels for dwarf planets and dwarf moons
    • Onscreen keyboard help info in the Edit mode
    • Some improvements in the Planet Editor
      Controls:

• Capturing video with GUI by pressing [Ctrl]+[F9]
    • Sliders in the planet editor are not scrolled with mouse wheel
    • Close button on the Solar System Browser window
    • FOV is taken into account when choosing the camera position behind the ship in the Game mode
    • “Look around” by holding the middle mouse button; on release, camera returns to original view
    • Improved Controls settings menu: binding keys and mouse axis, independant bindings for planetarium and spaceship controls modes
      System:

• Terrain detail texture atlases are merged into a single atlas
    • Configurable color palettes for procedural planets
    • Automatic calculation of the offset of the ship model to make it perfectly centered
    • SpaceEngine’s window saves its size, position and fullscreen state in the config and restores them in the next launch
    • New magnitude function in the Map Mode: easy to find dim stellar objects
    • Supporting RGBA diffuse textures for ships with per-pixel specular power in the alpha channel
    • Supporting RGBA color specular textures for ships with per-pixel specular power in the alpha channel
    • Supporting RGB color emissive textures for ships
    • Experimental support of the logarithmic Z-buffer
    • Exit screen texture saved to the config folder
    • The stars120k.txt file is renamed to stars120k.cfg
      Bug fixes:

• Fixed a “poor terrain textures” bug (incorrect indices of detail textures on procedural planets)
    • Fixed a bug with generating worlds with life only in multiple star systems
    • Fixed a bug with setting “StarProcBifurcation false” in the config disables procedural binary and multiple stars
    • Fixed a “boring planets” bug and “deserted terra with life” bug
    • Fixed too low and too high altitude of clouds on some planets
    • Fixed a bug with impossibility to disable the VSync
    • Fixed a bug with moons counter in the Wiki’s General info tab
    • Fixed a bug with moons with life counter in the planet’s info table
    • Fixed a bug with incorrect star multiplicity counter
    • Fixed a bugs with the nearest star searcher (in star clusters and galactic halo)
    • In the Map Mode, the Star Browser performs search around the map center, not around the current camera position
    • Removed double slash in the message “Saving screensots//scrxxxx.xxx”
    • Removed duplicate of Fomalhaut
    • Removed “Fomalhaut B” name of star TW PsA/Gliese 879
    • Fixed some other mistakes in catalogs
    • Fixed wrong luminosity (0.9) of the Sun in the info table and in the Wiki
    • Fixed artifacts when window is stretched on a bigger or a secondary monitor
    • Fixed bugs with fish eye projection
    • Fixed various bugs in the Star Browser
    • Fixed a rendering slow-down after using the Star Browser
    • Fixed a crash in Search By Name menu when entered a name of non existing star in a star cluster
    • Fixed wrong axial tilt info of Earth and other barycenter-orbiting planets
    • Fixed wrong obliquity parameter in exporting of the planetary system script
    • Fixed the absolute magnitude of the Halley’s comet
    • Fixed a crash when turning on rendering of a spacecraft trajectory
    • Fixed a bug where “Warm ice world” was printed as “Warm ice giant”
    • Controls settings menu and right-click context menu changes localization properly
    • Fixed a typo on the coordinate grid labels
    • Fixed incorrect camera orientation on start if the last bound object was a spaceship
    • Fixed some VRAM cache issues (blinking stars, etc)
    • Fixed the music player
    • Fixed small blurriness of font and GUI
    • Fixed galaxy orientation problems
    • Restored clouds bump
    • Fixed a bug with no cyclones on gas giants
    • Fixed asynchronous loading of shaders
    • Fixed a bug with a black dot rendered above the star in the “Points” mode
    • Fixed a bug with bright blue stripes in evaporating planet tail
    • Fixed appearance of wrong textures on planets during loading/generation
    • Fixed a bug with wrong positioning of the camera relative the ship during hyperjump
    • Fixed inability to select a moons inside the planet’s shadow
    • Fixed discontinuity in normal map lighting on a ship models

Participant

Are any of you guys/gals playing around with this?

Participant

Are any of you guys/gals playing around with this?

I have been hopelessly addicted to Space Engine since October of 2012. I found it by accident when looking for any add-ons for the seemingly dying Celestia. Space Engine is simply the most amazing simultor/experience I have ever encountered on a PC.

Every release adds so much and, it is on the current Steam Greenlight list!!

sscadminsscadmin
    Keymaster

If Space Engine can reach its funding goal $35k I will be a happy pilot, this thing deserves some single player game play.

Participant

If Space Engine can reach its funding goal $35k I will be a happy pilot, this thing deserves some single player game play.

I honestly believe that it will happen. As it is, there truly is not a day that passes that I don’t fire this amazing program up. For those interested, there is a ship repository on the site as well. In addition, there is a spaceship creator as well!

While Celestia was cool – and Noctis as well – Space Engine for me at least creates that sense of exploring a truly vast universe full of wonders. 

Again, like Celestia and Noctis, Space Engine is free and all you lose is a measly 850 MB of hard drive space. This release has been very stable for me; it has not crashed once. It’s rather fun now to be able to zip from the Sombrero galaxy to Andromeda, then to Neptune at ridiculous speeds and no crashes. I am also glad that the “game” part of Space Engine will be about exploration. I love Enterprises, Whitestars, and X-Wings as much as the next space junkie, but, it’s refreshing to see something so beautiful devoted to exploration.

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Why are they trying to get on Steam is it just for more exposure, guess it would make the updates easier. 

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Must be the end of the year as their a new update for Space Engine. http://en.spaceengine.org/

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

And in a reply to my own post of 19 Jan 2014, Yes the game is coming to Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/314650/SpaceEngine/ on the 11 of June if all goes well.

sscadminsscadmin
    Keymaster

Agreed, this project definitely needs to be seen by more people because this is some quality work here. I need to load this backup again and see if I can take a few good screenshots. There is some good videos out there previewing .99 release.

Any word if its staying free?

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Looks like it will still be free but it does have something called Space Engine pro https://store.steampowered.com/app/1026970/SpaceEngine_PRO/ so that might be a paid version as it will allow you to use it in your own projects.

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

I was wrong it’s not free, still I’m going to grab a copy at the weekend, as it’s on sale at the moment.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.