Home Forums Deep Space Salvage Yard Space Force: Rogue Universe Space Force: Rogue Universe have you played it?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

• Author
    sscadminsscadmin
    Keymaster

I know this is a game that screams mod me… but the devs really never released anything for people to work with or guidelines on what files to edit.

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

Participant

The last save is after Mission 2, killiung the lone pirate in Ursa Major to learn where mission 3 is. I landed on the space station. My game restarts from there no matter what else I do. I know it happened cause the first time I did a bunch of crap, mined a ton of roids, got a bunch of minerals, saved the profile, docked and launched to ‘save’ the game. Then I quit and when I came back, it started me off back before I did any of that.

sscadminsscadmin
    Keymaster

Hmm, I have gone past that point several times on WinXP. I will try on Win7 and see what my result is sometime this weekend and report back 🙂

Darkone wrote:
    Hmm, I have gone past that point several times on WinXP. I will try on Win7 and see what my result is sometime this weekend and report back 🙂

any news? I was keen to this buy this and give it a go but was wondering how playable it is on win7 and how bug free v1.2 is 🙂

Thanks

Luca

sscadminsscadmin
    Keymaster

I haven’t tried playing it since Vista. But I can load it on my system tonight and play it for a few minutes and see how it reacts. I’m sure it is playable on Win7 just because it is a better OS than Vista and the WinXP compatibility mode works pretty good as well.

never mind darkone,

I bumped into Pioneer and it seems to be the answer to my prayers 🙂

Darkone wrote:
    I haven’t tried playing it since Vista. But I can load it on my system tonight and play it for a few minutes and see how it reacts. I’m sure it is playable on Win7 just because it is a better OS than Vista and the WinXP compatibility mode works pretty good as well.
    Participant

I dont know what is wrong with my setting but my graphic is looking all blurry on this game. I bought it on Steam and so it will have the patch 1.2 applied. Could you let me know what setting do you have? From far away, everything looks very blurry to me, even the ship’s texture looks all washed out. I wish I can upload a screenshot right now but I’m at work. Anyone knows?

sscadminsscadmin
    Keymaster

I’ll load this up this weekend and post some screenshots of my gameplay.

Participant

I played this game a bit a while ago, but didn’t get too far into it. Been meaning to revisit it, but I did enjoy it. I just have a short attention span. 😉

Participant

For some reason I keep coming back and playing this game despite its lack of major features. Theres something about the feel and character they put into it that is charming to me in a silly playful way. I think I like the intimacy of the combat too, where you have to get close and personal with the enemy ships and can enjoy their colors and shapes. Reminds me of the first Wing Commander in that sense.

With that said, I’ve recently been tearing through the files for Spaceforce and learning what can be edited and what can’t. I think theres enough there to get a rebalance mod together and a redesign of the systems. I’ve been making strides in that direction. So far I’ve gotten the system map redesigned and have changed some of the systems names. I eventually will likely redesign each system with different “stuff” in it but that will be off and on, and probably one system at a time. I’ve also added a few helpful things, like added the words TRADE and DOCK to their icons and changed the distance you can dock at stations so its more forgiving. I changed where ships are sold as well to be more logical. I’m in the middle of trying to rebalance ship stats and weapons and seeing what can and can’t be done there but it does look promising. Atleast I should be able to try something different with that. I also am looking at revamping items to trade so they are more interesting and even want to add some big space monster items to trade, heh. Should be fun.

Anyway, thought I would say something about it, since it might take a while for anyone to notice since the Spaceforce community is rather dead at the moment. Either way though I’m just doing this for my enjoyment and trying to see of this charming little space sim can get a little more closer to its potential.

Cheers!

sscadminsscadmin
    Keymaster

Thanks for this info ZeroG!

I like SpaceForce myself and play it a lot actually because I like the visuals and the combat is decent. Yeah the story is iffy. If the devs would have just supported the game a little it would have helped keep the community engaged.

ZeroG you have any of your notes documented on what you can and cannot mod in SFRU? It would be nice to start a thread in this area or even a knowledge base article so that knowledge isn’t lost 🙂

But if you have a blog post a link or make a new post so we can read about your efforts. Because there are some fans of the game left.

Participant

Hey Darkone!

Yes I am keeping notes on what the different files and variables do so I don’t forget. Theres still quite a bit I don’t know that I’m trying to get a knowledge of so I can better understand what ranges are available and hopefully rebalance ship stats, etc in a more meaningful way. I do plan to make a post on the Spaceforce mod forums and here when I have the mod prepped enough where its cohesive, its just a pile of bits and bolts right now. I’m always aprehesive on posting right away because I know sometimes ideas fizzle and the mod dies so I hate making big expecations early and then having a letdown when it doesn’t come to fruitation. I’m approaching this a little diffferently though, I’m just finding out what can be done and changing whats there instead of trying to make it something its not. A good example is the items list. I wanted to rearrange the items you buy in a station so the handy mining tools and nanobots and guns and missles appeared at the top. Early on I thought I had it working, but it turns out that some items like guns and upgrades are dependant internally on their position on the items list, even though they can be changed externally with the file. So after much grinding of teeth I had to put them back, but I think the mining tools, nanobots and 3 other ship equipment aren’t dependant on position so they work fine at the top of the list. Naturally if I had announced too early I would have taken a hit after I had discovered the truth. So I’m trying to work my way through that process before I announce much of anything. Theres enough done though that I know I will have something to show for it and I think for the better of the game.

And yeah, hopefully this will get a few people out of hiding who like the game still and want to play along with help people enjoy the experience better. At some point I expect to share what I’ve learned as well. I will definatly post that stuff even if I stopped, so others who wanted to could continue.

Cheers!

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

One thing which I found really annoying was having to constantly fix the hull deterioration.

Are Provox games still around. ❓

Participant

In the GlobalData.cfg file theres a value called:

fDurabilityCost: 0.05

You could always just set it to 0.

Also, any shipstat .sfd file has a value called:

Durability: 0.0 1.0 0.7

Just adjust the first number to 4.0 or something higher then 1.0 which is its default value, and I believe that will increase the amount of durability damage it can take. I haven’t tested this though so I’m presuming some.

For the most part Spaceforce is still available to buy if thats what you mean by still around, and theres still a few people who like it. 🙂

Cheers!

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster
    ZeroGScott wrote:
    In the GlobalData.cfg file theres a value called:

fDurabilityCost: 0.05

You could always just set it to 0.

Also, any shipstat .sfd file has a value called:

Durability: 0.0 1.0 0.7

Just adjust the first number to 4.0 or something higher then 1.0 which is its default value, and I believe that will increase the amount of durability damage it can take. I haven’t tested this though so I’m presuming some.

Cheers ZeroGScott.I will have to dig the game out and try that.

ZeroGScott wrote:

For the most part Spaceforce is still available to buy if thats what you mean by still around, and theres still a few people who like it. 🙂

Cheers!

No I was just wondering if the developers were still going as a company.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.