Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Spaceway project

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)

Besides monthly games you also get access to over 60 free games in their library

• Author
    Participant
    PINBACK wrote:
    I never noticed that before

Documentation and advertisement is not Spaceway’s strong side, unfortunately.

Even so, i wonder how one can miss it in the icon for FAQ & Controls at the very front page of the project’s site: ❓

controls.png

PINBACK wrote:
    By running lights I mean the ship has it own light out side

Lights that light up the ship itself, like forward-facing light on Enterprise or floodlights on ISS?

Wouldn’t that be a waste of a light source calculation when you can just paint it in an emission texture?

Forward lights would make more sense, after all a starship in deep space look like so:

sw-120208-1.jpg

And if you approach it, you’ll need to make it visible:

sw-120208-2.jpg

A bunch of classics here on the cheap if you get them all in one bundle

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Sorry Artlav I seem to have edited your last post by accident when relaying to you.

Artlav wrote:
    Documentation and advertisement is not Spaceway’s strong side, unfortunately.

Even so, i wonder how one can miss it in the icon for FAQ & Controls at the very front page of the project’s site: ❓

Probably just me skipping over thing as usual and missing some details. 😳

Artlav wrote:
    Lights that light up the ship itself, like forward-facing light on Enterprise or floodlights on ISS?

Wouldn’t that be a waste of a light source calculation when you can just paint it in an emission texture?

They whole idea of running light on space ships is just for the look of it if its better to do as a texture then that’s would be the way to go with it.

Participant
    PINBACK wrote:
    Sorry Artlav I seem to have edited your last post by accident when relaying to you.

No problem, things happen.

Lack of undo button in phpBB, and you said yourself, that “Probably just me skipping over thing as usual and missing some details.”. 🙁

PINBACK wrote:
    They whole idea of running light on space ships is just for the look of it if its better to do as a texture then that’s would be the way to go with it.

So, self-illumination on spacecraft for the sake of nice looks.

Textures sound like the best way for this.

And what about marking lights, like ones on cars and planes?

[img]http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/hi-11.JPG[/img]

PINBACK wrote:
    The clouds look very flat and I am only going by the screen shot as I can’t play the game at the moment need a new computer.

They look a bit flat like a noise texture.

Volumetric clouds would be hard to make believable and fast in such an environment, so i use a flat stand-in.

Most of the time you’re either high above or well below them, so it might suffice.

It takes some imagination to enjoy Spaceway, it’s make-believe, not see-and-dissolve.

Participant

Speaking of walkable interiors and general extra-vehicular activity.

Imagine, that you land on a new planet, open the airlock.

sw-120213-3.jpg

Go outside, look around

sw-120213-4.jpg

And enjoy the scenery… Or lack of it.

sw-120213-5.jpg

All with classic FPS controls, not cryptic interfaces.

The scale of Spaceway keeps on stretching.

I think Noctis was the last game that allowed the player to do both FPS and flightsim at once?

Participant

Hi Artlav!

I would like to thank you for creating such a wonderful project, and all by yourself. Funny thing you mentioned Noctis, as the small glass dome of the buggy reminds me a bit of the dome of the player’s craft in that game. For me, Spaceway is turning into the up-to-date version of Noctis that has never been finished by its original author.

Could we expect a new development build any time soon? Also, is the project still open-source? As there haven’t been any updates os Sourceforge in quite a while…

Thanks!

Participant
    FLexx wrote:
    Funny thing you mentioned Noctis, as the small glass dome of the buggy reminds me a bit of the dome of the player’s craft in that game.

Simple design tend to simply repeat?

FLexx wrote:
    Could we expect a new development build any time soon?

Maybe, maybe not. I don’t know myself.

There are a lot of new features, and they’ve been breeding like plot bunnies.

Finishing them all would take too much effort, and i don’t think it’s worth releasing incomplete ones.

FLexx wrote:
    Also, is the project still open-source? As there haven’t been any updates os Sourceforge in quite a while…

It is no longer open-source, for a lack of purpose.

Sourceforge site is no longer updated, all stuff is on the http://spaceway.1gb.ru

Participant

Progress report, 2013
    Full thing is here http://spaceway.1gb.ru , so i’ll only post the locally important part.

In short, what kind of a game do you think can Spaceway be?

I can kind of see how people might have troubles with playing Spaceway.
    Spaceway’s controls, interface, tools – many parts are influenced by Orbiter, a hardcore space flight simulator which is in turn influenced by actual aviation and spacecraft controls and interfaces.
    And these in turn need months of astronaut training and a PhD in math and physics to work with.
    Currently, this is the first attack vector – making an interface, tools and controls that are comprehensible by average folks.

The second vector of attack is the game itself – flying around an infinite universe with ancient graphics is fun for maybe a few hours, but what then?
    Sure, you can use your imagination to create some fun, meaning and a backstory, but why would someone with so much imagination need the game in the first place? 🙂

Here i am at loss for ideas, and that lack is the main reason the project is largely standing still.
    What can you populate an infinity with?
    Building, mining, space program simulations, ant fortress simulations, empire building, constructions and custom content of all sorts – all dissolves like a drop in a sea when the game universe is infinitely big.
    Even a single planet in Spaceway can be as big, or bigger than the real Earth, and is already a challenge to fill.
    Multiply by a few dozen orders of magnitude, and you’re lost.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Participant

How about a game that plays out the Fermi Paradox? Maybe there is “Something” out there that attacks Civilizations just as they are starting to spread through the Galaxy. You start after such an attack with a small refugee fleet (Like Battlestar Galactica) and have to rebuild (like Minecraft? Starcraft? Simcity?) while staying still hidden and mobile enough to avoid another attack…

Participant

Experimental version 130811 released.

Lots of performance work on the terrain engine – should be much faster, more bug free and easier to configure.

Some fixes here and there on the graphics and stability.

Nothing new gameplay-wise.

Get it here, as usual: http://spaceway.1gb.ru

How about a game that plays out the Fermi Paradox? Maybe there is “Something” out there that attacks Civilizations just as they are starting to spread through the Galaxy. You start after such an attack with a small refugee fleet (Like Battlestar Galactica) and have to rebuild (like Minecraft? Starcraft? Simcity?) while staying still hidden and mobile enough to avoid another attack…

Not quite what i think would work with a game like that.

Participant

Experimental version 140114 released.

Get it here, as usual: http://spaceway.1gb.ru

-Added Orbiter’s spacecraft3.dll vessels support

-TransX (Great transfer MFD by by Steve Arch and Duncan Sharpe) ported (might appear upside-down on some systems)

-Various fixes, directories in scenarios, bug removal, RAM usage optimisation and so on

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHXjDFr14uA

Participant

Meanwhile, the current stretch of updates have concluded with Spaceway 140119-2.

Refubrished the interface, added some backstory, fixed a ton of bugs.

Clearly defined arcade mode along the realistic simulator one (q or v to switch), more straightforward controls, usable autopilot.

Etc, etc.

Enjoy!

Same link as before – http://spaceway.1gb.ru

Changes:

-Starting scenarios for arcade and realistic modes

-Redesigned interface

-MFDs are now mouse-controlled

-Planets can now be named

-Procedural mesh for Rapier

-Caching of generated vessel meshs

-Terrain visibility now depends on apparent radius (Chunk rendering is better)

-Cache versioning – new version will clean up old cached files

-Made warp motion FPS-independent

-Warp drive does not need peculiar key combinations any more

-Added a refuel button to control menu

-Added presets to autopilot

-Made help screen more readable

-Improved Surface MFD

-Fixed saving on window close and other exits

-Fixed terrain graphic presets

-Fixed crash on same system gate travel

-Fixed freakish textures bug

-Fixed autopilot throttle bug

-Fixed clouds

-Fixed persistence of gate address

-Fixed gate names in systems with more than 26 planets/moons

-Fixed textures breaking after changing graphic settings

-Fixed cockpit jitter at high interstellar speeds

-Fixed lights going out after interstellar trip

Arcade gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeWjjonNJWk

Realistic gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYBz7RQ56Uw

Participant

Spaceway is still around, boldly going where no one have gone before, bravely weathering the years of silence. 🙂

Version 140923 is out, now on http://www.thespaceway.org

Featuring a short storyline to introduce the player to the controls and possibilities, a much improved and streamlined interface, and an integrated quickstart guide.

I hope it’s playable now. 🙂

into_gate_sml.jpg

sw_140920-1.jpg

sw_140920-2.jpg

Participant

It have been asked for.

Again.

And again.

And again.

I hear you.

The Linux version of Spaceway 140923 is out.

You can grab it, as usual, at http://www.thespaceway.org

Or so i hope. 🙂

I haven’t done a Linux build in a while, so some minor things are still broken and sound wasn’t even ported.

But it’s a start – SW is still featured in several “games for Linux” lists. Gotta keep that true.

sscadminsscadmin
    Keymaster

Been a long time since I have taken Spaceway for a spin, I will have to download and check it out. Oh and btw the website looks a lot better. 😉

Oh feel free to upload spaceway here to SSC as well if you want or I can do it, might get more people seeing it as well.

Congrats on the Linux release!

Participant

I discovered spaceways yesterday, it’s great! But I’m absolutely unable to pilot the starship! Any navigation tutorial? 

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.