Home Forums General Chat Sci-Fi Movies and Television Spitfires In Spaaaaaaace!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

• Author
    GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

Just saw a very quick trailer for Doctor Who showing Spitfires in a space battle, have a look (or rather a glimpse), cool or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3berYXUrSnw

Edit: :girlsad: Damn…they pulled the vid

Edit Mk 2: Aha! found an alternate :girlblum:

Edit Mk 3: Gah! :girlwah: They pulled it again! Not to worry found yet another alternate! :flirt:

A lot of scifi games are for sale on Humble Bundle, deals end on 8/19/2019

Participant

I’m a fan of the Supermarine Spitfire, and the scene looks pretty cool. Not sure how it’s supposed to work though.

Participant

Well one theme in Doctor Who is that sometimes technology has become so advanced that you can shape vehicles and devices in any form you like without it diminishing its capabilities.

I guess there is the possibility that some future starship designers decided to design a spacefighter resembling the Spitfire used during World War 2.

The next episode will deal with a Starship UK, a colony ship manned by British, perhaps they designed their starfighters like this as a cultural icon.

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

That sounds as good as an idea as any! :girlwink:  Also thought the Dalek looked quite cute with his little ammo belt and army green paint job. :girlcrazy:

Participant
    TDG wrote:
    I guess there is the possibility that some future starship designers decided to design a spacefighter resembling the Spitfire used during World War 2.

Something like this?…

Ford Mustang 1964

[hsimg]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/1964-mustang-rc.jpg[/hsimg]

Ford Mustang 2010 (46 years later)

[hsimg]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/2010_Ford_Mustang_GT_convertible_1_–_09-07-2009.jpg[/hsimg]

Participant

Indeed, that is what I mean.

I guess when you have invented technologies that can compensate for a lack of aerodynamic forms or limitations only previously dedicated designs can overcome, you can start making machines in whatever way you like.

We already had robots completely made of clockwork parts in an earlier episode.

Participant

Good clip, Geraldine!

In space, almost any shape can be made to work. So a Spitfire is a fine idea, as could be a naval vessel, locomotive, or any other shape.

Heck, even a flying phone booth (or police box) would be possible. 😉

[hsimg]http://images.paxholley.net/blog/time_machines/Tardis1.jpg[/hsimg]

[hsimg]http://condemnedtorocknroll.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/doctor-who-tardis.jpg[/hsimg]

Participant
    ViolentAJ wrote:
    I’m a fan of the Supermarine Spitfire, and the scene looks pretty cool. Not sure how it’s supposed to work though.

Me too:-)

Got a soft spot for them 2nd world war airplanes.

SO, Spitfires in space, hell yes. Drop a sith or a jedi in the cockpitt then we have a really good dance, make the jedi a small green troll looking fellow,lol, and we have a party 🙂

/Ken

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster

Was not too impreesed by the first episode,hope it get better.

Participant
    PINBACK wrote:
    Was not too impressed by the first episode,hope it get better.

You’re a hard man to please, Pinback. 🙂

Needless to say – I LOVED it. After four long painful years I can watch Doctor Who without wishing the Doctor would SHUT THE HELL UP!

Participant
    Stardreamer wrote:
    wishing the Doctor would SHUT THE HELL UP!

So there is a new doctor in the show, when did he start? I did not like the old one so I gave up.

PinbackPinback
    Keymaster
    Kendric wrote:

So there is a new doctor in the show, when did he start? I did not like the old one so I gave up.

It was on saturday,but the change over of the doctors was in the two parter at christmas.

Participant

Thanks Pinback

Will try to find the 2 parter 😀

Participant

This episode is next week, Its about the British army making a new secret weapon in WW2, who really are the Daleks. At one plart in the trailer you can see the spitfires flying with some sort of sheild surrounding them, that probably explains it, and it looks like they are fighting the Daleks from what I can piece together from the trailer. Yes thats right. Spitfires, with sheilds, fighting Daleks in space. Invention of Awesome I think.

GeraldineGeraldine
    Participant

Was checking through some of my old posts, fixing dead links and such like. This was one post I am glad I visited again to fix it’s broken video. Spitfires in space is still cool! :girlcrazy:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.