Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer The case against Earth

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

Humble Book Bundle ends on 9/11/2019

• Author
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be easier to have like a half a dozen landable bases on Earth, and the rest would be covered in clouds and sea and urban cities?

It is easy to find a reason for that.

Say for example, China and Russia cut all its relations with space. So no landing in Asia and Australia.

And oil ran out, so the Middle East deteriorated back into nomadic life, so no landing there.

Humble Book Bundle ends on 9/11/2019

Participant
    Aero wrote:

Say for example, China and Russia cut all its relations with space. So no landing in Asia and Australia.

And oil ran out, so the Middle East deteriorated back into nomadic life, so no landing there.

“No landing in Australia”? – Steady on there – I want to be able to land in my back yard.

Then again, perhaps early in the third millenium Australia finally dug out all her minerals and the local economy dived. Everyone got sick of the heat and lack of water and all the deadly snakes and spiders. 😉

Here’s another creative solution – low Earth orbit is so polluted with space junk that no-one can get a look in for fear of being holed by random rubbish (oh wait, that’s what shields are for…)

Participant

I meant to have an easier idea. Just half a dozen docking ports instead of having thousands of ports around the world.

Maybe if there was a future war where half the world destroyed the other half.

Or half the world cut down its communication with the other faction, denying all forms of communicating.

Or maybe the entire world (except for Madagascar) was destroyed in 2012 and the Arcs were space ships, not giant barges.

I mean it is believable. Instead of having mountains and plains, we can have undockable futuristic cities and undockable wastelands. And lots of salty water!

And sorry, Australia was not spared the inevitable 2012 cataclysm. 🙁

Participant

Further on landing in my back yard, to pop into my house and pick up my computer…mmm…recursion…

http://xkcd.com/244/

Destroying the Earth by something easy like they did in FFE is going to look cheap, which imo is worse than a low-res Earth, which people will appreciate for the effort, I think. I know I will.

If you’re going to turn Earth into Trantor the marketplace and amount of traffic should reflect that, since otherwise it wouldn’t be realistic. In the stories, Trantor had ~40 billion inhabitants. I think that is an extremely low figure for a global city, considering the 6 billion the real Earth has. Also most will be very poor. But even then, the amount of traffic and goods to be traded in Sol would be so staggeringly high, that trading there will be by far the easiest way of getting rich, which I think would negatively affect gameplay.

Please don’t flood the place. Earth is considerably more intersting with Amsterdam than without. Believe me.

Participant

Removing Earth from the equation would be a game-killer for me. There is no real case for it.

After zooming around the exotic worlds, it is always nice to land in London, Paris or New York.

Wanting to destroy earth’s homeworld due to silly Mayan balderdash, climate paranoia or that

horrific 2012 movie rings untrue. People who recall the Elite storyline will know that Earth did

have various wars and disasters before the year 3000, hence “New Moscow”…But the planet

recovered and was made into a tourism world…Pioneer should reflect that situation…:)

Participant

EARTH – it doesn’t blow up or disappear –

it just looks UGLY for a thousand years! (F.Zappa)

…then it gets cleaned up and turned into a planet-sized tourist resort – a pleasure jewel in space – where every off-world Human makes a pilgrimage at least once in their natural lifetime; swim in the sparkling seas, glide the clear skies, climb the tallest peaks (those still ‘tall’ after the sea rise), or simply just get drunk in the nearby spaceport bar and get no further than the space-hotel.

Future Earth with higher sea and tighter coastline would make a startling globe to fly across and explore. The poles smaller and closer to temperate. The scorching equator, wider and ringed by powerful solar farms. Some of the ancient drowned cities might be built upon the sea like huge islands of lego.

LARGE METROPOLITIAN AREAS…

Some of the largest metro areas on Earth (in descending order); Neo Tokyo (Jap), New New York (USA), Mexcity Nueva (Mexico), Nu Seoul (Korea), Sao-Paulo Novo (Brazil), Nieuw Jakarta (Indonesia), Naya New Dehli (India), New San-Angeles (USA), Neo Cairo (Eygpt), Nue Shanghai (China), Nu Moscow (Russia), etc. India and others have similar sized metro areas that’d make this list but I imagined the major space-port going to the largest city in the region – as so to spread the main ports around the Earth.

TACKY TOURIST POSTERS

Something Curt said to me; spaceports ought to have tacky tourist posters on the walls as you descend the launching bay… ‘Welcome to Earth, home of the Hamburger’, ‘Visit the bars of Mars’, ”Get serious on Sirus’ , Tau-Ceti is sore pretty’ or just ‘enjoy the slot-bars of New Vega and get wasted’, etc.

— Jamie

MarcelMarcel
    Participant

“Welcome to Earth, home of the hamburger!” *Will Smith kicks the alien in the head* 😆

Actually, there’s something else about our homeworld that we take for granted. Think about how rare it must be for a habitable planet to have a moon with the exact apparent size as its star. I think that people will come from parsecs away to see a total solar eclipse with their naked eyes!

Participant
    diederick76 wrote:
    Destroying the Earth by something easy like they did in FFE is going to look cheap, which imo is worse than a low-res Earth, which people will appreciate for the effort, I think. I know I will.

If you’re going to turn Earth into Trantor the marketplace and amount of traffic should reflect that, since otherwise it wouldn’t be realistic. In the stories, Trantor had ~40 billion inhabitants. I think that is an extremely low figure for a global city, considering the 6 billion the real Earth has. Also most will be very poor. But even then, the amount of traffic and goods to be traded in Sol would be so staggeringly high, that trading there will be by far the easiest way of getting rich, which I think would negatively affect gameplay.

Please don’t flood the place. Earth is considerably more intersting with Amsterdam than without. Believe me.

yeah i agree ..that was a shitty move by braben to destroy the greatest planet in the galaxy ,…….everywhere needs an amsterdam lol

Participant

Hm, if there are so many opinions what should be done to Earth, why not put some kind of ‘Starting Menu’ where player could choose various options about his starting place, Solar System’s past (so he can actually choose what history fit’s him best – pwnage of Earth or the way it is now, maybe even another options like Mars terraformed or not, colonization of Saturn’s or Jupiter’s moons etc…) etc.

I think it shouldn’t be that hard to implement, right? And everybody would be happy. And yes, for those random-liking purists – there would be an option to set all the things randomly and start playing without choosing anything.

What do you think about that?

Participant
    Cavefish wrote:

Frontier solved this problem by making Earth an unrecognizable mudball while the terraformed Mars was the new place to be. I think we should do something similar. I say we blow it up.

that’s not true! Ole Fronts did a pretty nifty job… I remember the first time I pulled out of ‘abe link’ and gazed down upon a blob of green that kind of looked like Australia and low and behold… there was Sydney… which I was living in!!!

it blew my mind…

I vote keep Earth and keep it well.

Participant

For maximum flavor/dev work ratio I would vote for the “Earth is a reconstructed historical landmark/tourist location” explanation—with no extra work it explains everything about the Earth just the way it is—the lack of human habitation, the terrain not being quite accurate sometimes. I’m sure that with some more work a more interesting scenario can be created.

Przemyslav wrote:
    Hm, if there are so many opinions what should be done to Earth, why not put some kind of ‘Starting Menu’ where player could choose various options about his starting place, Solar System’s past (so he can actually choose what history fit’s him best – pwnage of Earth or the way it is now, maybe even another options like Mars terraformed or not, colonization of Saturn’s or Jupiter’s moons etc…) etc.

I think it shouldn’t be that hard to implement, right? And everybody would be happy. And yes, for those random-liking purists – there would be an option to set all the things randomly and start playing without choosing anything.

Er, the more options there are, the more content devs have to implement (and test!), and a shrinking fraction of players who will see each option. It really is “that hard.” Plus, a coherent, compelling game universe comes from a solidly established backstory, not a series of options for a backstory.

And if we wanted to cater to people who wanted random starts, then we would give them actual random starts by starting them at a random station in the galaxy.

Participant

We could certainly change Earth a little, but Like ElectricSkies mentioned, we won’t ever have a user option that lets you choose its settings, not when anyone can open a text file and change Earth’s basic conditions 😉

Im thinking perhaps:

1. Flood.

2. Ice-Age.

3. Climate change has turned it into a Desert

4. Tropical paradise (what we have now)

Either of those 4 are very simple to do. We could even add craters and say there was a war or something, or meteor impact…

Participant

Yeah, you are probably right about the additional content to implement and I must admit that maybe I was thinking too much, ElectricSkies.

ElectricSkies wrote:
    And if we wanted to cater to people who wanted random starts, then we would give them actual random starts by starting them at a random station in the galaxy.

This option should be there already in my opinion for anyone interested 🙂

But like s2odan wrote, those 4 options for Earth should be fair enough and not too much dev/test-intensive 🙂

s2odan wrote:
    We could certainly change Earth a little, but Like ElectricSkies mentioned, we won’t ever have a user option that lets you choose its settings, not when anyone can open a text file and change Earth’s basic conditions 😉

Yep, anyone can who has even basic knowledge about changing this kind of stuff and not everyone has such a knowledge. There are surely people who can’t change this thing themselves, so it would be very appreciated to have those 4 options you wrote considered when Pioneer reached next milestone (beta maybe?)

Participant
    Quote:
    those 4 options for Earth should be fair enough and not too much dev/test-intensive

Oh no what I meant was we would pick one option and just go with it… As Electric skies mentioned, it may seem trivial but adding an extra option that can change Earth requires quite a bit of code and would not produce any real meaningful results over a simple config edit made by the User. And at the moment that time can be better spent in other areas.

Quote:
    There are surely people who can’t change this thing themselves, so it would be very appreciated to have those 4 options you wrote considered when Pioneer reached next milestone (beta maybe?)

By that time everything would have been properly documented, so even those that struggle would be able to find the information in the ‘manual’ or wiki or whatever.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.