Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Pioneer Mods Total mod Genesia

Viewing 54 reply threads

Besides monthly games you also get access to over 60 free games in their library

• Author
      Participant

Hi everyone,

A new member (grondilu) warned me of the illegality of my approach towards the GNU-GPL 3 licence.

Indeed, I should take a theory provides a link to the modified source Pioneer (Genesia).

I’ve Finaly found some place on my small free dropbox for that.

Since I have found that although Genesia silk MRL, it is nevertheless dependent on the GPL3 license. 

So therefore I repost here as mod Pioneer. 

In fact, I’ve never had other ambitions than to preserve all those old models before the SGM system. 

And ultimately Genesia is part of the history of Pioneer.

Genesia download in SSC

This bundle expires on 3/25/2019

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Great to see this coming back Vuzz! :girlcrazy:

Participant
      Genesia is not a mod Pioneer. Genesia is Pioneer. At least, of the Pioneer imagined its creator, Tom Morton. What we have now is not Pioneer but a mod of the original Pioneer. I mean, Pioneer is a mod of Genesia. So, you should not be here. Genesia should be in the original Pioneer forum.  :drag:

But if you feel comfortable here, then welcome. :takeexample:   :fans:
      Participant

Genesia is not a mod Pioneer. Genesia is Pioneer. At least, of the Pioneer imagined its creator, Tom Morton. What we have now is not Pioneer but a mod of the original Pioneer. I mean, Pioneer is a mod of Genesia. So, you should not be here. Genesia should be in the original Pioneer forum.  :drag:

But if you feel comfortable here, then welcome. :takeexample:   :fans:

Whaoww  , powerfully reasoned my friend , But you can go there a strong anyway, Pioneer a mod of Genesia! OMG! 

In any case I gave this place a Genesia mod to be sure that newcomers do not confuse me with a “copier pioneer” again. (When in fact I am the archivist ^ ^).

Participant

Link in SSC Download updated.

Just a very very small mod : – Hydrogen is now the unique propellant for both engines (Ip prop & Hyperprop).

893800screenshot20140323091041.png

Participant

Another small update in SSC download section

GENESIA 060414

News 

– Inworld labels are now colored in blue.

– New approach for groundstations (more closer).

– Populated systems in sectorview now have an indicator that varies by population.

Divers

– mod terrain colors for gas giants.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Nice improvements Vuzz! :girlsmile:

Participant

Thanks ,

With this mod the colors of gas giants are a little less flashy.

640832screenshot20140404072338.png

And finally i decide to use this improvement of Shadmar,it’s be a good helps for trading.

474770screenshot20140404071238.png

Participant

This will be added to the next release

Mod of dots size and colour table of the scanner

470769ScannerColours.png

684000screenshot20140421184532.png

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

I put in a good long session with Genesia last night and really had a lot of fun with epic battles and “just in time” deliveries while flying around the Achernar system. :girlcrazy: Yes that’s right, I just stayed in one system and I could barely keep up with all the in-system scan requests and small deliveries. Achernar is a big system indeed!

A wee request (if possible) Vuzz, any chance of a slider for the job and contracts pages? I filled my contract page last night but couldn’t scroll down to see all the jobs I had taken on. If you cant its ok, I was only really pushing how far I could go in keeping up with what the game threw at me. If your normally playing the game it’s not really an issue.

I did noticed two little bugs though, first one relates to the starports on Capitol. Now this is quite a hilly planet and sometimes the landing bays are covered in terrain meaning the ship will bounce instead of landing properly to access the starport services. I fixed this by landing manually but aimed for whatever clear bit of the assigned pad was still available. The game then dragged the ship into the centre of the landing pad by clipping through the side of the hill with no damage taken. Marcel’s landing pads still look as cool as ever! :girlglasses:

The second bug relates to combat. Sometimes the stardreamer will set itself to pause during the heat of battle. Is this a feature maybe? I panicked a bit because at the time I was up against a much bigger and more heavily armed ship and it took me ages to wear him down with the little 2 MW gun my Imperial Hunter had fitted. I thought the game had crashed but thankfully no it was just paused. It also happened a few more times during other long battles.

Great stuff all the same Vuzz! :queen:

Oh, I nearly forgot :girlwacko: , I gave a few of your Genesia fleet screenshots a wee bump over on Mod DB. Next month if your out there Walterar and reading this, it will be Scouts turn. :girlwink:

Participant

New update : http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/files/file/1063-genesia/

GENESIA 210614

News

– Don’t allow hyperspacing close to planets or stations & when landing gear is down.

– New security message for “CLEARANCE_DENIED_NO_BAYS” state (english & french only)

– Delette retrofacing of ships during decelleration phase, align reverse to accel values on all ships.

Divers

– News size and colours of scanner dots

– Add a scanner colors table in docs folder

– Update ships_data lists  in docs folder: change allegiance to technology,  & deletion of reverse accel data colum

– Delete reverse accel infos in shipyard infopanel of stations

Fix

– Debug projector material on Ip shuttle.

– Statics ships Lynx & Yacht have now the correct parking orientation.

– Fix matvar interferences (?) of the cuttin’ hull on Hullcutter

– Correction of reverse accel. on “Caiman + 1 MCU”

– Correction of ECM2 on Gunboat LR

– Deletion of nil material on Cobra3’s scoops

Models Changes

– Mod texture on Natrix, Meteor, Wave, Gunboat LR, & TestRun

– Mod win material on B-Wing, Viper Def, Viper Race, Viper Pol, Gyr, Caiman, E.Y.E, Typhoon, & Viper X

– Mod materials on TestRun, Orion, & Wave

– New glowmap for Meteor & TestRun

– Adjust poslights on Eagle Mk-III

– Downscale ECM models on Sidewinder

– Downscale scanner and antenna on Sirius Interdictor

– Mod landing gear on Wave

– Mod propulsion parameters in ships/lancet.lua

– Mod propulsion parameters in ships/natrix.lua

– Mod propulsion parameters in ships/mcu.lua

– Add forgeted second pilot on Viper Def

– Add robot in cockpit on Viper Pol

– Mod largegun2 position on Ladybird

– Add missiles pods on Ladybird, & Sirius Interdictor

– Minors changes of ship.lua on Bloodrunner

– Mod opened door on Caiman

– Mod frontwheelunit’s scale on Gunboat LR

– Upscale ASP Scout

– Adjust some materials on Sirius Interdictor

– Adjust missile pods on Turtle, & Supafighter

– Mod main thruster on ASP Explorer

Wish you a nice play

544598screenshot20140502175146.png

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Wish you a nice play

I will Vuzz and thanks again for this wonderful update! :girlcrazy:

Participant

Soon in Genesia :

GENESIA —-14

News

– Reduced the rewards of scout missions
      Participant

New update  http://spacesimcentr…e/1063-genesia/

GENESIA 130714

The changelog:

News

– Reduced the rewards of scout missions

– Proper rocketship icon by Evarchart (Pioneer #2942) used now for ship’s info panel

Fix 

– New FlightState JUMPING to initiate hyperjump. This avoids delivering lua events in hyperspace. (from lwho in Pioneer #2731)

– Relocation of Altaïr system from local_stars to customs systems (to adjust reasonable pressures on somes failings planets)

Models Changes

– Downscale ASP Explorer, & Imperial landing Craft

– Deletion of hans & chewy pilots on Corelian Transport YT 1300

– Adjust landing position on Imperial landing Craft

– Mod Win_lo material and add a Win_n material on Caïman

– New Hullcutter model from Gernot (it’s now a “true cutting hull”), + various adjusts for Genesia by Vuzz

Participant

Hi there, I have a question about combat in Genesia, when I tried my first assassination yesterday everything was a total failure. I was around 2k meters behind my target blazing away with a dual 1mw pulse cannon and i may as well have been using a nerf gun. anybody able to tell me what i was doing wrong? the target was the Flash Gordon looking ship (Planetary Express i think)

Participant

Hi , its seem logical

I can easily see that a 1MW pulse laser against a Planet express with a 200tons of hull ( witch have probably some unit of energy  shields) is really utopic.

to resume : its like you shoot a heavy tank with a pistol.

Did you have equip the radar mapper to see the data of your target ? with this equipement you can see if you shoots are absorbed by the energy shields. 

The assassination missions in Genesia are the chalenge , mosts target are eavily shielded and jump directly when they are attacked

In many case it’s neccessary to have an hypercloud  analyser to continue the hunt.
      Participant

Thanks, so get loaded for Bear before you start trying them then, 4mw or even bigger?

Participant

vuzz, a question, it has nothing to do with genesia,

but it seems you use inverted colors for the appearance of SSC? (some bright background color, e.g. grey?)

you know usually it comes along on a rather dark blue, if you use a color like this, it get’s hard to read for most i guess.

first i thought you like to hide certain text, but it seems it’s more occasionally?

i know, i do have to care not to use very bright colors since i like green or red, i know it will get hard to read prob. if someone uses a bright background.

also you have to keep in mind that some screens reproduce the colors quite different, i.e. the colors on the macbook differ moch from the luminiscence of my HP monitor.

actually i can see your darker set letters, but on my moms macbook the vanish completely, it’s a little old one ane the screen has lost a lot of luminiscence (on the other hand the HP monitor is even old).

apart from this, certain things/ideas are surprisingly good in genesia, bravo! (i would like the lime, but someone argued once he can hardly read it, since then i choose a darker green)

(see, know i have time to read all the things i missed before, since i don’t have to think i only have a few days time to stay online.

i neither have to port data on a stick between the machines, or any other obstacle which the former situation has invoked).

something more technical,

i noticed that you use (i guess i wrote you this once?) newer shader scripts as what was used up to release alpha28?

now there is a problem with these shaders, i haven’t found out what exactly it is.

BUT

on my moms macbook pioneer (genesia i can’t run at all on the macbook, resp. only if i use a osx compiled executable, which didn’t supports genesia fully) gots nearly unplayable the framerate sucks completely since alpha31 i guess, some 5 fps, before it was running at least above 15 fps.

even on my 64bit machine at home i have a noteworthy reduction of performance since then.

now there is no use to tell the pioneer developers about such, they will only answer that my machine is outdated, such has happened more then once (a irritating reply i guess).

such is mean, instead to care that everybody is happy with the performance they only guess each has 1000’s of bucks spare to buy a new machine just to play pioneer.

personally i use the alpha28 shader scripts, they work ok with the macbook and super on my machine at home, leaves enough power to capture the game (make a clip) with 30 fps.

i didn’t feel my machine is really old, 2 years overall since it was a yesteryears, lowered in price and the gfx card i use is also about 2years old, but i guess a

G-Force GT440 isn’t really a bad one.

i guess i’m not the only one here with a paperfoil thin wallet (sometimes i’m such broke i have to live by a handful of rice and tea, it would be a healing experience for some i guess)

now, if some of the devs. of pioneer are “richie richs” i can’t tell, but it seems like.

at least they care a shit about ppl who argue about performance problems (“go buy a better computer”, does a user have to hear something like that?

if i would be a nube it would have been the last time i was interested in pioneer if somene tells me something like this).

besides, not even commercial games of today respect only the newest and most expensive stuff on the market, it’s a question of business, if i like to sell my game.

i know if such happens they can fed up a whole community of gamers with such a behave.

but it seems to some is this not of interest, they only care about themself (“go, buy a better machine” :elf: )

besides, if you already took care about that, then you can forget this plea.

[hr]

@thunderchild, “…Flash Gordon looking ship”, green one? then it’s Planet Express, ha, ha, i “ripped” that one from SketchUp.

else there is a “real” Flash Gordon Ship, my “Bloodrunner”, somethng i like much, personally i would like a complete retro styled game.

if if it’s only to show: “see it’s first a GAME, second it’s FICTION, the purpose of sci-fi is to me not as much as it should show what future will bring technically,

it should show where our society goes, that’s the real purpose of sci-fi, this counts not for all, but for good ones like Vernes “Cpt. Nemo”, Roddenberry’s StarTrek,

or Luas’s StarWars. even real bad authors like Hubbart used sci-fi for this purpose (while hmmm… if i think about what i wrote above, some must be fans of Hubbart,

“i’m Rich and i’m a different class, i have different rights because i’m rich”. you can have such as a credo in life, i know well).

but the good ones have a idea about a society of equality between classes, races and cultures.

liberté, égalité, fraternité

some use sci-fi to hammer this in the minds of humans

some others see only the fame and the gold in it (how lame).

besides one thing i can grant you, humans will never make themself into space with this society of two classes (resp. three, a lower, a middle an a upper, where the lower tends to reach the middle class and the middle tends to reach the upper class, it’s fucking Hubbarts idea of a society and it will lead only to total destruction).

and if then i hope there are some aliens who will teach us this, even if they have to use a plasma accelerator to do so.

hmmm… that “sparksova” looks quite different.

Participant

I was thinking of the ancient 30s RKO Flash Gordon, They used to be shown on a saturday morning when i was a little un, way way back

Participant

I downloaded this mod and tried to run it but I have a problem. When I first tried to open the .exe it told me that MSVCR110.dll was missing. I found the missing dll and put it in my win/system 32 folder, and also downloaded the new Visual C++ as recommended. The program gave the same error when I tried to start it, so I placed the dll directly into the Genesia folder. Now when I try to run the .exe I get the following error “The application could not be started properly (0xc000007b).

I have tried unzipping the game folder again, but the problem persists. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Pioneer works fine on my computer, I’m running Win 7 SP1 64bit.

Participant

@ TEC

Genesia is compiled under MSVC 2012 ,

I’m not a technician of MV C++ but my wife have  the same system like you , so i’ll can try on his computer soon.

MSVCR110.dll  must be put in the main folder of genesia ( where there is the Genesia.exec)

I’m under windows 8 and that’s work fine …

To be continued …

Participant

Ok , ive try to run Genesia on the computer of my wife (MS windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1)

and that work perfectly , so ….

Beware  , Genesia is NOT a mod of pionner , you must not put this  one in any Mod folder , 

Just extract that excactly like you install Pionner ( it’s a total mod , a sort of second game)

Participant

Thanks for the reply. I originally unzipped Genesia into its own foler. I tried your solution, but I still have the same problem. Pioneer and Scout+ work fine.

Participant

maybe you need some MSVC library …

let’s me see that today , i’m busy this morning but , i’ll try to give you my list of lib.

Participant

@TEC

Have you this one installed on your computer ? : 

–      Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64)   11.0.50727

–      Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86)   11.0.61030 

Here is the link to the Download :  http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=30679

Participant

salu mon frére,

i have a slightly altered modelviewer for you,

changes which i made to the “original”,

– shows now both “fuel scoop” (slider pos 0.3) and/or “cargo scoop” (slider pos 0.6), because prob. some ships have either the one or other mounted.

– “Radar Mapper” on slider no.9 instead of “Atmospheric Shielding” which has never reflected by a model so far, but we still have a few sliders left…

– both options “ECM Basic” (slider pos 0.3) and “ECM Advanced” (slider pos 0.6), prob they haven’t the same model neither the same position.

– both options, resp, changed laser to “Pulsar 1MW” (slider pos. 0.3) to show the genuine size/scale of the gun model if it has different scales for the different power of them

and of course shows now “Dual Pulsar 1MW” (slider pos 0.6), needed because hey how can i make proof of it if i can’t see it?

maybe i add some large as well, in this way you can check if the largest gun you can mount is scaled properly (like i said, before i used the numbers).

but a slider ranges from 0 to 0.99 and this leaves space enough for all sizes, even if it gets tackling then to “hit” the right position,

still one could enter then “0.3” or whatever will reflect the desired laser.

[attachment=2724:modelviewer.zip]

“it get’s even rid of the dirt you actually can’t see – and how do you know it’s gone when you can’t see it?”

to do:

request ship flight state

because i like to see how a possible animation depending on the flight state works.

i guess since the enumerator stuff has changed you can’t anymore show a specific state/model by entering the number into the slider fields.

because of that i needed something which showed me at least the “ECM basic” and the “Radar Mapper”.

even in petto,

slider for “Hyperspace Cloud Analyzer” this can be reflected by a model and in fact what is now or since long “ECM advanced” was planned as “Hyper Cloud Analyzer”

not sure if i can request this in the model, if not (i guess not), a slight change to the engines source would be needed.

“if you sit a lot, you need touchy couchy, made of space age polymeres, machine washable and dries in minutes, touchy couchy.”

a script to generate “legal shipnames” you find in the “retrospective to alpha8” thread.

some associated new functions as well

and if you like this edit:

local quote
      local rand = Engine.rand:Integer(1,#quotes)
      quote = quotes[rand]

local menu =
      ui:Grid(1, { 0.2, 0.6, 0.2 })
      :SetRow(0, {
      ui:Grid({ 0.1, 0.8, 0.1 }, 1)
      :SetCell(1, 0,
      ui:Align("LEFT",
      ui:Label("Pioneer"):SetFont("HEADING_XLARGE")
      )
      )
      })
      :SetRow(1, {
      ui:Grid(2,1)
      :SetColumn(1, {
      ui:Align("MIDDLE",
      ui:VBox(10):PackEnd(buttonSet):SetFont("HEADING_NORMAL")
      )
      } )
      })
      :SetRow(2, {
      ui:Grid({ 0.0, 0.9, 0.2, 0.1 }, 1)
      :SetCell(1, 0,
      ui:Align("MIDDLE",
      ui:Label(quote):SetFont("HEADING_XSMALL")
      )
      )
      :SetCell(2, 0,
      ui:Align("RIGHT",
      ui:Label("("..Engine.version..")"):SetFont("HEADING_XSMALL")
      )
      )
      })

could read (and generate a table) this from a text file, but i’m a lousy programmer (“lousy hacker”? it exists as well)

it’s recently in a lua file as a table

quotes = {
      "Ill play with it first and tell you what it is later. MILES DAVIS",
      "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted. HASSAN I SABBAH",
      "Dont let your mouth write no check that your tail cant cash. BO DIDDLEY",
      "The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. NIELS BOHR",
      "Just because everything is different doesnt mean anything has changed. SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ORACLE",
      "The most merciful thing in the world ... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H P LOVECRAFT",
      "Take what you can use and let the rest go by. KEN KESEY",
      "Its not the size of the ship, its the size of the waves. LITTLE RICHARD",
      "I never loved another person the way I loved myself. MAE WEST",
      "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. SIGMUND FREUD",
      "When choosing between two evils I always like to take the one I've never tried before. MAE WEST",
      "Honest Officer, had I known my health stood in jeprody I would never had lit one.",
      "It is a rather pleasent experience to be alone in a bank at night. WILLIE SUTTON",
      "Never invest your money in anything that eats or needs painting. BILLY ROSE",
      "The rich will do anything for the poor but get off their backs. KARL MARX",
      "If Karl, instead of writing a lot about capital, had made a lot of it ... it would have been much better. KARL MARX'S MOTHER",
      "When I sell liquor, its called bootlegging; when my patrons serve it on Lake Shore Drive, its called hospitality. AL CAPONE",
      "Anything anybody can say about America is true. EMMETT GROGAN",
      "Tip the world over on its side and everything loose will land in Los Angeles. FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT",
      "If you've seen one city slum, you've seen them all. SPIRO AGNEW",
      "If you've seen one redwood, you've seen them all. RONALD REAGAN",
      "Use it up ... Wear it out. Make it do ... Or do without. US WORLD WAR II MESSAGE",
      "You cant underestimate the power of fear. TRICIA NIXON",
      "The whole earth is in jail and we're plotting this incredible jailbreak. WAVY GRAVY",
      "The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun. BUCKMINSTER FULLER",
      "Things are more like they are now than they ever were before. DWIGHT D EISENHOWER",
      "You smash it - and Ill build around it. JOHN LENNON",
      "College isnt the place to go for ideas. HELLEN KELLER",
      "Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories. ARTHUR C CLARKE",
      "America, how can a write a holy litany in your silly mood? ALLEN GINSBERG",
      "It is necessary for me to establish a winner image. Therefore, I have to beat somebody. RICHARD M NIXON",
      "Any smoothly functioning technology will have the appearence of magic. ARTHUR C CLARKE",
      "Justice is incedental to law and order. J EDGAR HOOVER",
      "Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms. GROUCHO MARX",
      "The first duty of a revolutionary is to get away with it. ABBIE HOFFMAN",
      "Stay out of the road, if you want to grow old. PINK FLOYD",
      "Here I am, fifty-eight, and I still dont know what I want to be when I grow up. PETER DRUCKER",
      "How can you be two places at once when youre not anywhere at all? FIRESIGN THEATER",
      "I think that God in creating man somewhat overestimated his ability. OSCAR WILDE",
      "We are what we pretend to be. KURT VONNEGUT, JR",
      "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. OSCAR WILDE",
      "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong - but thats the way to bet. DAMON RUNYON",
      "I could prove God statistically. GEORGE GALLUP",
      "Real wealth can only increase. R BUCKMINSTER FULLER",
      "Anyone can hate. it costs to love. JOHN WILLIAMSON",
      "In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true either is true or becomes true. JOHN LILLY",
      "Time is an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space. GRAFFITI",
      "The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible. ALBERT EINSTEIN",
      "Nobody can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it. TALLULAH BANKHEAD",
      "A physicist is an atoms way of knowing about atoms. GEORGE WALD",
      "Dont lose Your head To gain a minute You need your head Your brains are in it. BURMA SHAVE",
      "It was always thus; and even if 'twere not, 'twould inevitably have been always thus. DEAN LATTIMER",
      "Burnt Sienna. Thats the best thing that ever happened to Crayolas. KEN WEAVER",
      "We dont know who discovered water, but we are certain it wasnt a fish. JOHN CULKIN",
      "Try to be the best of what you are, even if what you are is no good. ASHLEIGH BRILLIANT",
      "I waited and waited, and when no message came, I knew it must have been from you. ASHLEIGH BRILLIANT",
      "Please dont lie to me, unless youre absolutely sure Ill never find out the truth. ASHLEIGH BRILLIANT",
      "Please dont ask me what the score is, Im not even sure what the game is. ASHLEIGH BRILLIANT",
      "I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it. ASHLEIGH BRILLIANT",
      "If you cant learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly. ASHLEIGH BRILLIANT",
      "I dont have any solution, but I certainly admire the problem. ASHLEIGH BRILLIANT",
      "Maybe Im lucky to be going so slowly, because I may be going in the wrong direction. ASHLEIGH BRILLIANT",
      "By doing just a little every day, I can gradually let the task completely overwhelm me. ASHLEIGH BRILLIANT",
      "To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target. ASHLEIGH BRILLIANT",
      "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. OSCAR WILDE",
      "The flush toilet is the basis of Western civilization. ALAN COULT",
      "If the aborigine drafted an IQ test, all of Western civilization would presumably flunk it. STANLEY GARN",
      "The world looks as if it has been left in the custody of trolls. FATHER ROBERT F CAPON",
      "Sure there are dishonest men in local government. But there are dishonest men in national government too. RICHARD M NIXON",
      "We are going to have peace even if we have to fight for it. DWIGHT D EISENHOWER",
      "If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitiable. JOHN F KENNEDY",
      "'Contrariwise', continued Tweedledee, 'If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isnt, it aint. Thats logic.' LEWIS CARROLL",
      "It takes a long time to understand nothing. EDWARD DAHLBERG",
      "To know the world one must construct it. CESARE PAVESE",
      "Eeny Meeny, Jelly Beanie, the spirits are about to speak. BULLWINKLE MOOSE",
      "The mistake you make is in trying to figure it out. TENESSEE WILLIAMS",
      "An object never serves the same function as its image- or its name. RENE MAGRITTE",
      "All I kin say is when you finds yo' self wanderin' in a peach orchard, ya dont go lookin' for rutabagas. KINGFISH",
      "He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder. M C ESCHER",
      "Law of Computability Applied to Social Sciences: If at first you don't suceed, transform your data set.",
      "When more and more people are thrown out of work, unemployment results. CALVIN COOLIDGE",
      "The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts. PAUL ERLICH",
      "Sex is hereditary. If your parents never had it, chances are you wont either. JOSEPH FISCHER",
      "Fourth Law of Thermodymanics: If the probability of success is not almost one, then it is damn near zero. DAVID ELLIS",
      "Frouds Law: A transistor protected by a fast acting fuse will protect the fuse by blowing first.",
      "The meek shall inherit the earth, but not its mineral rights. J PAUL GETTY",
      "Give a small boy a hammer and he will find that everything he encounters needs pounding. ABRAHAM KAPLAN",
      "The fault lies not with our technologies but with our systems. ROGER LEVIAN",
      "Under any conditions, anywhere, whatever you are doing, there is some ordinance under which you can be booked. ROBERT D SPRECHT",
      "Thoreau's Law: If you see a man approaching you with the obvious intent of doing you good, you should run for your life.",
      "Vique's Law: A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.",
      "If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization. GERALD WEINBERG",
      "Zimmerman's Law of Complaints: Nobody notices when things go right.",
      "Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance. CONFUCIUS",
      "Whoso diggeth a pit shall fall therein. BOOK OF PROVERBS",
      "It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech. MARK TWAIN",
      "The unnatural, that too is natural. GOETHE",
      "I used to be indecisive; now Im not sure. GRAFFITI",
      "I had a monumental idea this morning, but I didnt like it. SAMUEL GOLDWYN",
      "He hasn't one redeeming vice. OSCAR WILDE",
      "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous. GRAFFITI",
      "'Martyrdom' is the only way a person can become famous without ability. GEORGE BERNARD SHAW",
      "Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without any proof. ASHLEY MONTAGUE",
      "Birth, Copulation, and Death. That's all the facts when you come to brass tacks. T. S. ELLIOT",
      "Make no little plans. They have no Magic to stir Men's blood. D. B. HUDSON",
      "Bradley's Bromide: If computers get too powerful,we can organize them into a committee... that will do them in.",
      "Civilization Law #1: Civilization advances by extending the number of important operations one can do without thinking about them.",
      "Ketterling's Law: Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence.",
      "Whenever 'A' attempts by law to impose his moral standards upon 'B', 'A' is most likely a scoundrel. H. L. MENCKEN",
      "The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion. GEORGE WASHINGTON",
      "In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to Liberty. THOMAS JEFFERSON",
      "Money, not morality, is the principle commerce of civilized nations. THOMAS JEFFERSON",
      "We must all hang together, or we will surely all hang separately. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN",
      "Where a new invention promises to be useful, it ought to be tried. THOMAS JEFFERSON",
      "Assuming that either the left wing or the right wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles. PAT PAULSEN",
      "An intellectual is someone whose mind watches itself. CAMUS",
      "Six years for possession of a cigarette?...I got six months for possession of a deadly weapon! S. HARRIS",
      "The Swartzberg Test: The validity of a science is its ability to predict.",
      "What do you call a boomerang that doesn't work? A stick! BILL KIRCHENBAUM",
      "To err is human, to compute divine. Trust your computer but not its programmer. MORRIS KINGSTON",
      "I've seen many politicians paralyzed in the legs as myself, but I've seen more of them who were paralyzed in the head. GEORGE WALLACE",
      "You don't have to explain something you never said. CALVIN COOLIDGE",
      "A little caution outflanks a large cavalry. BISMARCK",
      "A billion here, a billion there, sooner or later it adds up to real money. EVERETT DIRKSEN",
      "I like a man who grins when he fights. WINSTON CHURCHILL",
      "There are a lot of lies going around.... and half of them are true. WINSTON CHURCHILL",
      "Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most times he will pick himself up and carry on... WINSTON CHURCHILL",
      "Pioneering basically amounts to finding new and more horrible ways to die. JOHN W. CAMPBELL",
      "That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. THOREAU",
      "Life is not one thing after another.... it's the same damn thing over and over!",
      "The meek will inherit the Earth..... The rest of us will go to the stars.",
      "After all is said and done, a lot more has been said than done.",
      "Beauty is only skin deep, but Ugly goes straight to the bone.",
      "There is no remedy for sex but more sex.",
      "Any given program, when running correctly, is obsolete.",
      "Sex is like snow... You never know how many inches you're going to get or how long it will last.",
      "What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.",
      "Love is a matter of chemistry, but Sex is a matter of physics.",
      "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought. ALBERT SZENT-GYORGI",
      "Revolution is the opiate of the intellectuals.",
      "I really hate this damn machine, I wish that they would sell it. It never does just what I want, But only what I tell it.",
      "Fantasy, abandoned by reason, produces impossible monsters; united with it, she is the mother of the arts and the origin of marvels. GOYA",
      "Some people like my advice so much that they frame it upon the wall instead of using it. GORDON R. DICKSON",
      "Civilization is a movement, not a condition; it is a voyage, not a harbor. TOYNBEE",
      "We have met the enemy and he is us. WALT KELLY",
      "You know, of course, that the Tasmanians, who never committed adultery, are now extinct. M. SOMERSET MAUGHAM",
      "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. BERT LANTZ",
      "The one charm of marriage is that it makes a life of deception a neccessity. OSCAR WILDE",
      "God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. VOLTAIRE",
      "There are things that are so serious that you can only joke about them. HEISENBERG",
      "It takes all sorts of in & out-door schooling to get adapted to my kind of fooling. R. FROST",
      "Confound these ancestors.... They've stolen our best ideas! BEN JONSON",
      "Avoid quiet and passive persons, unless you are in need of sleep.",
      "Rotate your tires.",
      "Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself, And heed well their advice - even though they be turkeys.",
      "Know what to kiss - and when.",
      "Remember that two wrongs never make a right, But that three do.",
      "Wherever possible, put people on 'HOLD'.",
      }

copy-paste the code yourself to “MainMenu”

and copy-paste the quotes to a file 00_quotes.lua in the folder “ui”.

the quotes are a collection from aeons ago for the Amiga, some i removed and kept only what isn’t to long.

of course “/n” would work to get a new line, but anyway short is better.

“If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization. GERALD WEINBERG”

Participant

i have no idea if you are still around, holdays maybe?

doesn’t matters,

i “hacked” the lmr-modelviewer to (most of) my needs and it looks like it could be handy for you as well,

the only thing i haven’t figured out so far is to get a a ortographic view, because one CAN’T WORK with perspective view,

just to tell the grid in perspective view is as useful as if you would hold a meter in front of you to measure something which is 10 meters ahead of you, obviously this won’t work.

i.e. to proper position small things like a missile it’s useless, you can roughly say if it’s positioned well, but you can’t measure things in a perspective view.

i checked your lmr-modelviewer in “Genesia” and figured out it leaks if the same problem, you can’t anymore type in a specific number to desplay the apropriate equipment.

actually you can call in my revisited version most equipment with the sliders.

the setup is following:

SLIDER 0 = WHEEL_STATE

SLIDER 1 – 4 = GAME_TIME (reserved)

SLIDER 5 = FUELSCOOP OR CARGOSCOOP

SLIDER 6 = ENGINE EITHER CLASS1 OR MILITARY CLASS1 (i needed this, because i have now different engine glows for the military drives)

SLIDER 7 = ECM BASIC OR ADVANCED

SLIDER 8 = SCANNER

SLIDER 9 = RADAR MAPPER

SLIDER 10 = FRONT LASER(S) ALL FROM 1MW UP TO LARGE PLASMA ACCELERATOR (needed if you scale laser models to the power they have and like to see if the scale works for the ship)

SLIDER 11 = REAR LASER(S) ALL FROM 1MW UP TO LARGE PLASMA ACCELERATOR (needed if you scale laser models to the power they have and like to see if the scale works for the ship)

SLIDER 12 TO 19 = MISSILES ALL just for completeness

SLIDER 20 = HYPERCLOUD ANALYZER like i said i liked to get a model representing it and changed the old “ecm advanced” to “analyzer” while i created a new one for the “ecm adv”

SLIDER 21 = LASERCOOLER just because i started to make a standard gun with a lasercooler version implemented

ATMOSPHERIC SHIELDING i removed but if you feel you need it i can implement it again

i counter checked it with Genesia and it works as well, but you have to replace the old Glew32.dll

i zipped it together with the executable, but make a backup of the old one, one can never know, even if i assume it won’t harm anything.

ah well, i added finally a second color to represent the second random color, orange is a bit agressive but it won’t matter as long as it’s not “no color” (or matt white).

LMR MODELVIEWER 20140822:

[attachment=2725:modelviewer_20140822.zip]

Sidetrip:

i made a new UV mapping and a proper collison mesh for the “Lion” in “Genesia”, it’s not yet finished, i delayed it because of the scripted geometry i’m working on.

(UV is unwrapped, but the model needs to be revisited, the mapping will be handy to craft a nice skin for the ship, further i removed a few hidden tris and will also make the landing flaps acting)

i would be grateful if somene could help me with the orthographic view for the modelviewer,

since i’m recently refining and creating new swcripted geometry this would be a big help

in general it’s this

renderer->SetOrthographicProjection(x-min, x-max, y-min, y-max, z-min, z-max);

i’m at all not sure if it will work at all ?

but it would be sure a fine thing to have, no question, i wouldn’t need a perspective view at all for a modelviewer

but I NEED ORTHOGRAPHIC VIEW on top of anything else, ever heard of a (seen a) technical drawing in perspective view?

me never!

buttons for top, side, rear or front view would be “luxus”.

further just guess of any CAD we have, certainly today they show a perspective view as well (but i never use to work with that),

but it wasn’t because of limits that in the past you had only a orthographic view, it’s simply far more important as a perspective one for modeling, basta!

again, no matter how far my viewpoint is from the model, in a orthographic view a meter is a meter and not “bended” due to alignment of the perspective.

again, the grid was a good idea, but it’s useless without a orthographic view,

further well the grid would need some sectioning (luxus #2), e.g. like a paper sheet for technical drawings, mm’s in “light” shading, cm’s a bit stronger, and so on.

besides on such a sheet i designed the “Rapier”, i didn’t needed a “modelviewer” and certainly i needed no perspective view for such, just top,side,rear view (FLAT 2D!!!)

a “3D pespective sheet of paper” (if such would exist, fortunately it’s 2D) wouldn’t work.

Participant

hi Gernot,

thanks but in fact ….  I’m not interesting about this model viewer for my Genesia ,  i think modelviewer is just to see the general style  of heach ships and don’t need more options.

Sorry but, i have the project to delete this one  when i release the final version of Genesia, in final version  players must discover alls ships in the game ^^.

Participant

well i feel sorry for that, no critics about

in final version  players must discover alls ships in the game

but i thought you work from time to time on the models, don’t you? i thought this will be handy for you, if not  – “flush it down the drain”.

btw, the modelviewer is less ment to explore models, it’s ment foremost to check scripted geometry and animations based on expressions,

besides you have to guess that you aren’t probably the sole one who likes to create resp. script a model.

chances are extremely low for this to happen, but who knows and if one likes to do such a tedious work he will need the modelviewer, even if it’s just to texture a model.

in other terms, how could i have started out in modeling ever without such softs? offered by the publisher or “user created”?

no way at all, thus a MV for i.e. SW-XWA was even less to explore the models as to offer the possibility to players to create their own ships or variations of existing ships.

user created, ok (one of the available tools for SW-XWA is very easy to use, a bit limited but you can simply assemble models from existing parts,

it’s something like a “advanced modelviewer”, years ago i had the idea to do something similar with pioneer, offer a set of parts from which players can build models of their choice

without need to have knowledge about modeling, “LEGO style” in other terms, some basic hulls, basic engines and so on).

different comparison

for “rotten old” NFS3(&4), EA itself offered a CarCAD, without it there would be not even half of what you find of models for the game and them are countless for NFS3&4.

even my version of the “courier” was given birth by a CarCAD.

neither some would have written a more comfotable version or implemented the format to a CAD (of those days) like “z-modeler”.

but o.k. i will offer anyway a “pioneer” without one single solid object, only classic scripted geometry.

i like what we can do today with the advanced software we have, but i like as much as this the scripted geometry.

it’s cool and it’s classic, certain devs. e.g. “hello kitty” (GLBasic) has fallen in love with them at first sight, “you make scripted geometry gernot? that’s great stuff!”.

and as long as i get such replies i will continue to make them, no matter if i’m envolved in something new and completely different.

this is fundamental 3D and what ever one guesses or thinks about that, it will stay fundamental, even in 100 years.

it’s like the difference between something which is hand crafted or something a machine does by pressing of a few buttons.

i worked in a carpentry for a few years and the philosophy of my boss was similar, we used almost no machines in the production and certainly no computer controlled,

everything was “bio” and hand crafted, erm.. i guess we like such, it’s different even if the result might be the same or similar.

“helo kitty” was right “gernot you let SEUCK vomit real graphics” and i do pretty the same with the scripted geometry for pioneer i guess.

besides “hello kitty” and his comrades use even only scripted geometry for their GL-Basic 3D-games, that’s why he was so impressed by “pioneer”.

some might feel it’s “overaged” and “obsolate”, others feel exactly the opposite to that.

however, if i have scrambled some models together and everything looks and feels like i expect, i will offer this “retro pioneer” – better, i will call it “Sputnik” (satellite).

and well, if no one will like it, i know at least one who will like it – me.

further to me it’s very important to keep reminescences to TomM, who imagined it in this way, to me he is still the project starter and “jedi master” of pioneer.

without him there would be no pioneer at all (and certainly none of the derivatives of it)!

to me “pioneer” is the “LEGO” of the space games which exists.

i discovered with it that my teacher was right “you’re stupid, you would be good, but you are so damned lazy gernot”

“keep the ‘Flowerfairy Heavy Trader’ alive”!

ok, i won’t pester you no longer, besides i have work to do – a lot of work.

Hey there,

I keep getting the error “Genesia.exe is not a valid win32 application”, whenever I try to run it.

I’m on Windows Xp (32-bit) Sp3

Participant

Hi to everyone,

I would like to know if genesia run in winxp sp3?

thanks in advance

Participant

This a problem in Scout, but you are using Scout in Genesis, so I’m posting it here.

All combat missions like police scans, explorer for the bold dangers, passengers wanted etc…

that call Scout.lua  cause this red screen of death error:

Error : [string “[T] modules/scout/scout.lua”] : 265 : Lua abject with id 0x00000dbf not found in registry stack traceback:

[string “[T] modules/scout/scout.lua”] : 265 : in function <[string “[T] madules/scout.lua”] : 262

It would be nice if there is a fix for this???

Is this the script Scout.lua bug or is it a bug in Pioneer?

Participant

Hello ERH. The module Scout in Genesia, it is the first and obsolete version. There are light years apart with the latest version.

But if I have time, I’ll see if something can be improved.

Participant

Thank you for updating Genesia Scout, Pioneer is some what lacking in ships.

I found another bug:

I got a mission to scan Gliese c from Mars High, after scanning it, (that was not easy) I got a mission return to Gliese 169.1 Camp Schwarzschild, so I saved, and then killed the pirate, then I jumped, and then landed on time, but I got a fine for illegal data, so I then re-ran the mission, and got mission return at Mars High, and I got paid, so a little bug in that some where.

I am also trying to bump up the speed in a separate mod of Genesia like I did in Pioneer A31, but in Genesia I get a red screen of death, regarding ship running in Hyperspace, can’t calculate in TradeShips.lua witch I did not get in Pioneer A31?     How fast is too fast??

Participant

Found a Genesia bug this time:

The body of yt-1300 target area is too small, shields are a little circle in the center of it, this makes it difficult to fire on it.   Using Millfalc body instead.

And unguided missals lock up the game.

And all the missals need more BOOM!!!

Participant

Note that you’re playing with a museum piece. Genesia is a “snapshot” of a bygone era in the history of Pioneer. With all its virtues and all its flaws.

Participant

Vuzz updates Genesia, so I’m giving some things to put on the too do list.

I think Vuzz moded the yt-1300 to remove hans & chews pilots, but collapsed the target size too maybe a missile size, and hans & chews pilots are still on the Millenium Falcom.

Anyways switching the yt-1300 model with the millfalc I think the game needs to be reset, I tried to load the save when I was fighting a pirate yt-1300, and got a blue screen of death, however I did not have problems loading from the save in the system the yt-1300 is dead, but in another system I got attacked by a yt-1300, and blue screen of death, so I thing the games saving the models, don’t really know???  I know Frontier Elite just randomly generates pirates.

And if it’s possible it would be nice if planets looked like they do in the system info page Like an Ice planet looks like ice not like a red dust ball.

And some Voyager landing gear on Enterprise would be nice. 

Participant
      Genesia is not at all under development.

Since the release of dangerous elite, I completely gave up what I used as a stopgap until the release of what I considered to be the true and unique elite.

It is therefore completely useless to hope the next update of Genesia.

I am sorry but it was only my personal version of Pioneer, I have no more use, so it is useless to spend time on.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

You did great work with Genesia Vuzz and I am very happy it is preserved for posterity. It still to this day holds the record for the most amount of ships in any of the Pioneer versions. Even though you don’t work on it anymore Vuzz you should be proud of what you did with it and it will always have a place on my hard drive. :girlsmile:

Remember this? :girldance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVy87tdvx8w

Always be yourself Vuzz  :queen:

Participant

Ok, so no more updates to Genesia, because Dengerous Elite is out.

So lets see you can now explore a bigger galaxy( when it doesn’t crash) , get into fight with friends (nice targeting system ), trade goods, so you can get a better ship ( more then one ships, any one working on Pioneer, know about this??), and something about co-ops missions (isn’t having friends nice), and more too come…

I think I going to wait for the more too come. ( it would be nice to land on an Ice planet (that looks like an Ice planet), go to the local pub, and pull out my gun, and kill someone, and get paid for it, so I don’t maybe set up a business on a planet…

But this Frontier makers of First Encounters non-playable for O’ lets say 15 years in till JJFFE, so I think this is going to be a nice space shouter / trader, and not much more, but who knows maybe it will Live UP!

Participant

Found another Scout bug:

Red screen of death when a missile explodes too close to your ship, libs/ship.lua

In my faster mod I set the missile_object:DistanceTo( self ) to 1000, but this makes missiles not have that zoom in and explode that I would like…

MarcelMarcel
      Participant

I found a bug in Genesia. Occasionally the game will crash with the message, “Lua serializer ‘(null)’ tried to serialize an invalid ‘SpaceStation’ object”. This issue (#3852) has been fixed in Pioneer, so I made a patch for Genesia called “Genesia_tradeships_patch_mod.zip” and put it in the downloads area.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Thanks for this Marcel! 🙂
      Genesia will always have a place on my hard drive.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Oh rats! I’ve recently upgraded my system and I have been reinstalling everything, including Genesia, but now I can’t get it to run. 🙁 I know I am missing (read forgot) something as it worked perfectly before. I copied all the .dll files to system 32 but it didnt help. Does it need something from Microsoft? Damn my failing memory! 😮

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

I still have this problem if anyone can help?

Gernot66Gernot66
      Participant

hey vuzz – sad 😉

hey rest of you, i will see if i can keep the models up to date, they will run most probably in “phoenix” what is my personal or not so personal approach of keeping pioneer as it was ment once (as walterar stated).

everything i will keep in my oan chaotic way, i will see what i can use of walterears scout because i strongly assume he can’t work on that anymore.

changes on the source are planned but still delayed.

in fact that means i will download genesia see what will run in phoenix, probably change some models to sgm for pioneer and release the results here respectively in a new thread.

besides i guess it would be wise to move the whole Phoenix thread here or to open one here and to let the other dry out.

btw, as geraldine reported “Pheonix” runs for her while “Genesia” seems to fail. Both are in general a Pioneer alpha 31 release.

MarcelMarcel
      Participant

I haven’t been able to run Genesia under PlayOnLinux for quite a while, although Phoenix runs albeit slowly. I think there may be a library that I need to install, but I have no idea which. Scout Plus runs fine because it has a Linux executible..

Gernot66Gernot66
      Participant

Interestnhg, Geraldine reportet me the same she can’t run Genesia anymore, but i have no problems running it on my win10 HP notebook.
      but also i have to say it was a fine deal for a lousy 200 bucks.
      an overhauled machine with a brand new windows on it, such you won’t even find on e-bay.

aha – i see i assumed it already

Genesia is compiled using microsofts Visual C, the filesize is much smaller, a lot of libs it uses are part of windows.

Pioneer and i assume even Scout is compiled using, erm how was it named? an open source compiler, the file contains all needed things and is due to that almost ten times larger in size. (perhaps it’s even caused by something else, i found it strange that a lot of data appears identically repetively a lot of times when i examined the file once).

Geraldine assumed it right that she might miss a library.
      Which i can’t tell.

Most probably the retail version of visual c, the question is which.
      I assume 2008
      2010 will be on your machine, 2008 probably not.
      It is sometimes needed and it’s certainly present on my machine.
      it’s sometimes needed because i run “old crap”.
      ah, if a software is good and does a good job it won’t matter how old it is.
      that’s why i still use a lot of old crap.

new doesn’t equals always to better.

Well and to work on such old games like Sports Car GT (or Streets of SimCity) you need the old softs, there are no new.

It is no problem to have several releases of Visual C on your machine.
      the only thing which isn’t to recommend is to use the developing kit of visual c if you dont’ need to compile programs. one library (i recently forgot the name) acts extremely slower as the retail version to run the programs with.

I suggest to try out visual c 2008 if it’s not present on your machine.

Personally i used VC2010 when i started with “Sputnik”.
      But i know the 2008 source was more experienced and better described how to compile the program (in fact finally you just had to click on the already prepped project)
      I just used 2010 because i had a brand new x64 machine.
      and with some experience it was no problem to compile pioneer using vc2010. VC especially 2010 supports you in every step you make.
      had acces to the web back then so there was no question which couldn’t be answered by a mouseclick.

Marcel
      it won’t help much i guess, but try to exchange the buildings with either the sgm version or the lmr version i linked. i reached almost a doubling of framerate. ok if it’s 1 fps it might be 1 3/4 after this change 🙂

Note to myself:
      install a linux (gosh where on that small hd?, i have a second and a third 1TB but i dare to install them in my notebook, how do i get windows on it? i have no cd or such of it, it’s a notebook and has neither a dvd-rom anymore. would have to ask the retailer or windows for support i guess)

Gernot66Gernot66
      Participant

could also be caused by Simple Directmedia Layer (SDL)
      there are two in general complete different versions
      SDL1
      and
      SDL2

if i rember this right old Pioneer (compiled with vc) depends on SDL1.

https://www.libsdl.org/

however, even here are both present on my machine because i need them.

to run open source software one could say they are vital, both.

example:
      SDL2 i need for the software to use the flashrom for my intellivision.
      SDL1 i need to run JJFFE

as example there are many more.

GeraldineGeraldine
        Participant

Hi Gernot
        Thank you so much for the advice. I tried reinstalling both the x86 and x64 versions of VC2008 and also copied versions 1 and 2 (and also trying the x86 and x64 versions of each) of SDL to the Genesia folder. Version 1 just crashes and version 2 wont run at all reporting a “repeat key” instruction is missing. It was worth a try though. Thanks anyways Gernot. 🙂

Gernot66Gernot66
      Participant

mmmh ok 😉

i found it a little unconventional to have these in the games directory, but it seems it didn’t harms.

where have you placed it?

i use to run all games from C:|games, that’s uncomon to because usually windows will install x86 programs in “programsx86” i guess, but i’m not sure, to respect that these are x86 programs and use a certain environment.
      I never had good experiences doing so with games thus sonce win7 i place them all in “c:\games ” and if i have to enable compatibility i do this using then “compatibility manager” to run problematic games in a specific environment.
      (or to perform such simple things as to advice the OS to open “Phoenix” always in center of the screen when it runs in windowed mode).

i don’t know how much that will influence it, but programs which are in the search path of windows can act different to those which aren’t in the searchpath, usually it’s ment to run them better but no machine can respect what it don’t knows of.

i can test if it still runs if i remove the respective libraries from “genesia” ,
      or if i simply move “genesia” to “programs x86” somehow i assume windows bypasses them in my case.

However 😉

I fitted almost all ships which are present in “Genesia” for the use in “Phoenix”, anyway most are my models and most run in a alpha31 version.

There are some differences mainly how i use the sub-models or certain helper functions like the “navlights” have changed a little.

Most ships (that is most of them excluding the SW-XWA ones and excluding the FE2/FFE ships) i will publish wit “Phoenix” some Ships of which i think they don’t fit to well to “Phoenix” i re-publish as a mod for “Phoenix”.

The Updated files i will post in “Genesia ship models for Phoenix” and the “Phoenix” thread here.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Hi Gernot. I always kept Genesia on a dedicated drive outside of the main OS. I have also learned that Windows 7 is being killed off next January (2020). So I will have to move over to the awful Windows 10. I so hate that OS as, amongst other things, it’s compatibility will not be as good as Windows 7 is for a lot of things. 🙁

Thankfully I still have a really old XP based PC I keep in storage so it looks like I will be digging that out again.

Wonderful that you moved many of these great models over to Phoenix . So this fixes the problem but this must have been a lot of work for you Gernot, so thank you so much again, your a star! 🙂

One last thing, the Ladybird was created by Marcel back in the day. A sweet little ship it is too. I bet he will be glad to see that flying again! 🙂

Gernot66Gernot66
      Participant

It’s not that aweful – it’s even worse 😉
      i’m using it if i liked it or not.
      Yeah it was a big dislike at start, Win7 is truely “better”.

“Better”, it depends on the type of user, i watched a clip of a former ms employee ranting about win10, he’s certainly right in every point.

But i also commented, “MS is industry like any industry and i like to produce and sell. As an industrial to me is only of interest what the mass of customers will like and they like to b e leaded by the OS. The days that only nerds sat in front of a computer to read out data with a table are definately past. The Mass likes Cortana and the so called AI which is anything as but they believe that this is the long awaited and so often promised AI”.

MS came closer to OSX, the machine suggests, i certainly dislike that to and i dislike a lot of other things like that it is still more an OS for a tablet as for a computer. It seems it was worse before but a hybrid is neither a solution imho it would have been better to release two OS’s based on the same, one for computers and one for tablets, the tasks aren’t the same and no matter what they propagate you can’t work really productive with a tablet.
      I mean i can’t make Models with sliding my fingers over a screen, that has no precision and it’s clumsy, it’s not like they show off in advertises.
      It can be very handy for presentations yes.

He foremost ranted about the no longer by the user to influence behave for installing updates, they will be installed automatically and you neither can set the timepoint. this has raged him up, because he liked to make a presentation and usualy this laptop he said is always online but for this time it wasn’t. He started the machine early enough as he thought but exactly now it had to install one of those “security updates” (whatever of bs that is),
      so he had to wait until it was installed, at end of the procedure must have went something wrong and the OS performed a rollback, which has ment he couldn’t make his presentation in the end because it took the machine hours and it was out of service.

Sure for a pro like him this is the last you like to be dictated by the OS.

But well 10% of “heavy users” doesn’t make the sale.

Like i said i like to control the machine and not that the machine controls me.

But the mass likes it, at least i assume that.

I disliked it but yeah had to become a friend of it, had to 🙁

It still needs maintainance and i had last week a clip running how to get the last out of it for gaming but he’s talking very fast and it’s horrible to follow all advices.

So this is the “hard stuff” which is really mean, not to control update behave, and as usual a constant blowing up of the system by the updates, they feed on CPU power, each little proggy in the background needs some power that’s the point.

Other is more UI related which i dislike, the startmenu, ah you can’t call that anymore a startmenu it’s shit. First what i did to clean that off all the junk.
      I don’t need makro symbols in the startmenu for every shit i don’t need to use, so flush it (even if i like big icons, but not in the startmenu).
      You can’t usually add programs to the startmenu, either the installer does that or not.

I found a way to manage the startmenu myself but that’s not intented.
      Win10 will argue if you do so even as admin of the machine, and it’s not the only protected folder, so again a strong dislike here because that is my machine and i like to maintain it i don’t like if certain folders are forbidden for me.

You can add a shortcut to “C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu” usually this is a locked folder but it’s possible to assign a shortcut to it and open the folder from the shortcut.
      In this way i still can manage myself the content of the startmenu.

Win10 can performs horrible things but you can find a way to get rid of that control from the OS over you.

Gernot66Gernot66
      Participant

Maybe not a star but a shooting star.

“One last thing, the Ladybird was created by Marcel back in the day. A sweet little ship it is too. I bet he will be glad to see that flying again!”

Different skin, i will have to dig for it if i still have this.

Nah, erm ummm, i don’t know, i came really to the end with XP 🙂
      you now i was using it until last year, recently the also the powersupply of my old machine quitted service, so it’s completely out of order until i fixed that, but i guess – i don’t know what i like to run on it, nothing so far.

From this side i can’t argue, i run every old shit on my Win10, maybe even better as under Win7.

The thing you need for this is the “Compatibility Administrator” it’s even better as the “Compatibility Manager” of Win7 and i can run Programs where i needed before the help of “DXWnd” which intentionally runs fullscreen Direct-X applications in a window as the name suggests, but it has been enhanced to a very helpful program to run old software.
      Much better then any virtual machine because you can use the full power of your real machine.
      And there is not much which it can’t help to run from win1.3 to today.
      foremost that is because of the tricked DX versions.
      It lets the software believe that it is a former release and even acts like this release, even when it simply uses the recent release on your machine.
      “DXWnd” lies a lot, so to say.
      You can limit virtually memory if you like or limit the graphics card or most of what could be needed to run an old software.
      It has a library of presets and users do can share them.

But the recent “Compatibility Administrator” (it has to be downloaded seperately from MS) does the job as good as i experienced and i don’t need the help of “DXWnd” anymore.
      When you install it and browse through the fixes you will see almost any old game already listet in it.
      NFS4, SimCopter, Streets, just to name a few of my favorites.
      And yes probably they learned from “DXWnd” it is somewhat popular and the fixes which concentrate on games show that off, things like to trick the DX version wasn’t possible before.
      Further this really makes virtual machines obsolate if you don’t need a closed environment.

That means once installed you won’t have to care for most old software it will run by dblclick.

It can fail of course but with a little experience it’s not that hard to install a fix by yourself, a very personal fix if you like though.
      Yes it was a process to learn that and at start with Win7 i was also overstrained by the many settings options fixes.
      But one after the other, take a game and see what will help step by step.
      Often it was guesswork, “no idea what exactly that means, let’s see…”
      “aha it’s for this, note that next time it can be useful”.
      Still 80% of it is unknown to me.
      A lot of things you will never need for a game, what games need to be run is repetively the same.

It can be really handy, i.e i wrote that already i use it to center the window of Pioneer. because win10 has this strange behave to cascade program windows and you can’t get rid of that, not all but foremost stuff which isn’t MS their own programs can influence this behave.
      That means first time it starts in the upper left corner and works itself with every run down to lower right until the window vanishes half under the lower edge, i found that’s shit and found a solution for it in the compatibilty admin.
      “center app window to screen”

the “compatibilty admin” can store fixes different you can store it in the internal library or you can generate a fix which you can put anywhere you like, i use to store them in the games dir. It’s also possible to share the fixes named xxx.sdb.
      So the “center app window” fix for pioneer will work for your pioneer as well as example.
      But it’s also possible to share the whole library.

I guess, to return to win10, it’s like always when an OS is designed new the ppl will dislike it, but it’s not that bad even if it has some backdraws, but again that’s a Q of POV.

Failing updates, rollbacks and bottlenecks caused by the updates aren’t new at all.
      Of course one would have wished to get rid foremost of the bottlenecks.

A plus here and a minus there.

GeraldineGeraldine
      Participant

Hmmmm
      So you think Win 10 has improved since it first came out Gernot? I did the upgrade at the very start and I couldn’t stand it. It was slow, it was always updating goodness knows what until I got so sick of it I went back to Win 7. It was night and day, finally I had a good responsive OS back. I have to admit, I will miss Win 7 like I did with XP and Win 98 SE before that. Of course Workbench 3.9 will always be my favorite though, now THAT was how an OS should be! 😉

MarcelMarcel
      Participant

Geraldine, I only added a texture and exhaust flames to the Ladybird and copied the thruster specs from the Talon to improve her performance. I didn’t create or modify the model at all.
      I’m using Linux Mint for my OS. It’s GUI is XP-like and runs most Windows games. It’s also free and you can dual-boot with Windows if you like.

GeraldineGeraldine
        Participant

My apologies Marcel. I honestly thought it was your good self. I do recall you adding those things but I also thought you were simply improving your ship. So who created it then? Guess my memory is getting fuzzy these days. 🙁

MarcelMarcel
          Participant

It was one of the ships that come with the early alphas. I first played Pioneer around alpha 3 or so when the starting ship was the Sirius Interdictor. I assume they were created by Tom Morton.

GeraldineGeraldine
            Participant

Ah! So it was one of Tom’s ships, like the Sirius then? That makes the Ladybird the 2nd oldest ship in the game. Still, you did a wonderful job on it Marcel, improving it. Even now it is still amongst one of my favorites in the game. 🙂

Viewing 54 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.