Home Forums Free SciFi Gaming Projects Pioneer Wanted: new screenshots

• This topic has 0 voices and 727 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 729 total)
  • Author

robn

The screenshots in pioneerspacesim.net’s image gallery are getting pretty old. It’d be great if you players could post some good high-quality screenshots so we can refresh the homepage a bit. Obviously cool and interesting terrains are obvious, but it’d be nice to be able to show some snaps of any other parts of the game that look good too.

Post them in this thread. I’ll pick the best ones and add them.

emajogi

I’ve been trying to collect screenshots of all the bodies in all the systems within 20 light years or so of Earth.

Taking the ship’s control panel into account, it’s a real pain in the neck getting the planet lined up in the middle of the screen. And even then, my beautiful photographs look rather less beautiful with that control panel sitting at the bottom of every frame.

Is there any chance of a screenshot taker, which automatically removes the control panel? Something like an F1 which switches between front view, rear view, exterior view and camera would be good. And it would be just dandy if one could nominate a folder in which to save all the screenshots you take.

Luomu

I like these kind of ones 🙂

6d5zg.png

cgayr.png

Control panel disabler would be nice. And antialiasing in HDR mode…

mathee

…and this is where the trouble begins. I would love to come up with some great screenshots but i have the feeling that my computer is messing up the whole graphics.

I know this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeO28VBT … r_embedded (wich looks AWESOME) does not show the actual graphics in the current alphas. however, i assumed they where anywhere near to it which is not the case on my system.

This is how mars looks like on my system (planet detail to max):

[attachment=881:mars.JPG]

What is going on with the colors?? This looks more like an orange you put on a table and look at it half a year later

And this is Europa:

[attachment=882:europa.JPG]

Is my computer messing up something or not? if not… i would be very sad. i would love to see graphics like on the youtube video on my system, then i will go hunting for some nice screenshots 😉

robn
    mathee wrote:
    …and this is where the trouble begins. I would love to come up with some great screenshots but i have the feeling that my computer is messing up the whole graphics.

[Edit after some thinking and investigation]

Mine look pretty much the same, and have back to alpha 11 at least (I stopped looking there). The only thing I can suggest is that you might need to turn up the terrain detail – s20dan (terrain hacker and the guy who made the video) has a pretty high-end rig, so his screenshots can be over-impressive 🙂 Also that video is old, and the terrains have changed a lot since then, generally for the better.

I will point s20dan at this thread next time I see him in IRC just to make sure there’s nothing fishy going on.

s2odan

Edit// Removed incorrect crap 🙂

Right, it seems I lost some changes so the terrain in the video cannot be set for Mars-type worlds currently.

Europa will just require a seed change, theres a nice terrain for Europa in there I just don’t have a seed number for it.

Note to self and fellow devs. I’m getting a little tried of the whole custom systems seed issue. Maybe we should just allow it to say: “This planet is mars, I want terrain 4 and no other”…. I suppose it bypasses our fake planet composition stuff, but it would probably save some headaches too.

I know I have contradicted everything I have said in the past with that last sentence, but I have come to think it might be worth doing, as these certainly won’t be the last seed related issues we have. Any thoughts on that?

Update: I made an issue about any planet problems peaople are having: https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues/416

That way it can all be kept in one place and I won’t forget about it.

I had this problem a minute ago while testing this out, no matter which settings I chose the detail would not change. However I then realised that I was in-fact changing City detail instead of Planet detail, as it feels like someone has swapped them round. 🙂 (Last time I loaded up pioneer they were top and bottom)

I’m putting together a video of what Mars looks like now on the current master, no tricks, changes, threading or anything so you can see for sure if you are getting the detail you should be getting.

I’ll post it here once its done.

s2odan

Here’s the video I mentioned.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-DcyQm0zE4&hd=1[/youtube]

This is Very Very High mode from Pioneer Master as of 26/08/2011, if Mars doesn’t look like that on your system under the same settings then post about it here or preferably in the issues tracker on Github.

Geraldine

Beautiful vid s2odan. It took me back to an Olympus Mons animation I did years ago on my miggy using Vista Pro. Took ages to do and it only lasted a minute. How I wished at the time that I could actually fly around it in real-time. Thanks to you and the other Pioneer devs, that is now a reality! 😎

s2odan

Thanks. How does it compare to what you are seeing when you play? Most people should at least theoretically be able to generate and display a scene in Very Very high, although the framerate would be negligable and unplayable, it should still show it on screen.

Marcel

I haven’t posted any screenshots because of my computer’s lack of shaders. Also, I haven’t been flying much. Been spending my Pioneer time texturing stuff instead. I’ll do a test when I get home later today and post a pic.

edit: Here’s a couple. Looks good to me.

[attachment=883:Mars very very high00.jpg]

[attachment=884:Mars very very high01.jpg]

Geraldine
    s2odan wrote:
    Thanks. How does it compare to what you are seeing when you play? Most people should at least theoretically be able to generate and display a scene in Very Very high, although the framerate would be negligable and unplayable, it should still show it on screen.

It’s absolutly fine although it can slow down sometimes on my aging Pee Cee. I usually run it with planets set to High or Very High

Brianetta

Something a little different. This was my first successful orbital rendezvous. It was the second one I’d attempted, but the first one involved a high energy collision around Oberon with a Cobra Mk3 target vehicle.

The Imp. Trader there was tumbling backwards over its pitch axis, and retreating at well under 1m/s. It was kind of beautiful, sharing an orbit like that.

orbital_rendezvous.png

Calculations? No. I tried, but the maths required for matching an arbitrary orbit is a little beyond me at the moment, not least because the orbital plane of the target would have to be determined mathematically using only target distance. So I did it the old fashioned way; brake to speed up, and catch it from underneath. Quite the rush.

The hardest part? Finding the target vehicle in the first place. I get my script to tell me what it’s orbiting, then I have to go looking. Space is big. Ships are little. Even with just one moon to search… well, moons are big. Ships are little.

Marcel

That’s really impressive, and I love the names you gave to the ships! 😎

Coolhand
    Marcel wrote:
    I haven’t posted any screenshots because of my computer’s lack of shaders. Also, I haven’t been flying much. Been spending my Pioneer time texturing stuff instead. I’ll do a test when I get home later today and post a pic.

edit: Here’s a couple. Looks good to me.

[attachment=1]Mars very very high00.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Mars very very high01.jpg[/attachment]

It’s been steadily improving, still have the same critiques tho.

– still too perlin noise-y / obviously cg.

– still using the glossy / plasticy looking shader where it should be flat, planets surfaces – at least dirt and rock, are matte.

tomm

Yes how was the glossy effect achieved? There is no support for anything but plain diffuse in the ground shader so I am assuming the glossy look is just due to the terrain being kindof high contrast colors

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 729 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.