Forum Replies Created
Firgof can’t remember if this has been asked. But in that screenshot you can see other stars/planets. Can you go to them or are they a back drop only?
And the important one about your new graphics for the rings… can we fly through them? 🙂
Christian Knudsen has been busy the past few days and has released version 0.6.4 and a few point releases to fix some minor things. Ascii Sector is one of the most polished ascii based games and it is based in the Privateer universe and you can do so much more than what you could do in the original.
List of what is new and what has been fixed in Ascii Sector.
– Fixed bug with inventory weight when capturing and releasing an NPC.
– Fixed bug with a character you have to transport not being able to find a path to your ship.
– Slowed down the walking speeds of NPCs when not in combat mode.
– Commodity events no longer happen at naval, pirate and research bases.
– Fixed bug with faction of ejected pilots.
– Stuff in your backpack can now be sold at the equipment shop.
– Fixed a serious bug when buying and selling stuff from the equipment shop
– Fixed bug that caused a rescue ejected pilot mission to be failed if you landed in the same system as the ejected pilot before rescuing him.
– Jump Drives cannot be completely destroyed anymore.
– When jumping, the jump sequence is no longer synced to the music, so if you have a high speed setting, there’ll be no more waiting for the music to finish.
– NPCs now belong to a faction, so killing a merchant on board his ship will decrease your standing with that faction, just like destroying his ship will.
– The game now keeps track of how many NPCs you’ve killed in person and this is shown in your Quine under Stats.
– Added a backpack for carrying more stuff.
– Added a locker on board your ship for storing your stuff.
– Stuff now has weight and the more you carry, the more time it’ll take to move around (the first 20 kilos don’t slow you down, though).
– The NanoComp Vest now offers the least protection of the three vests in exchange for being the lightest.
When you load your saved game in this new version, you might find that some items on the ground on board your ship can’t be accessed because they’re on the tile with the new locker. If that’s the case, just leave your ship and re-enter. The items should now be moved.
Got a score of 219 the other day and you need a little luck sometimes to get higher scores.
I have been watching scirra engine for a while. Have been waiting for it to go v1.0 before I try to do anything with it but seems really solid but you do need to have some programming knowledge to do things with it. I have seen some nice nice games made with that engine as well so it is possible.
Lots of sprites will have to be made 🙂
Farcodev is making a game similar to this that you found in Far Colony. Only difference is the whole walking on planets but then that is covered mostly in Infinity: The Quest for Earth. The scope of the game you are thinking up is quite large in nature and would be a huge project. Infinity has most if not all your ideas and it has been in development for around 3-4 years now and still has more time to go.
First thing you will probably need is an engine that could perform all of your actions.
Tested the download at home and I was able to download the entire file which is 192MB+ and did it in a few minutes at 770kb a sec.
More Multiplayer glory….
Hoping to get a Starpoint Gemini video any day now. So we’ll be able to see what to expect from the game from all the questions the staff answered it is going to be a great game. But we’ll see if it will satisfy your large ship battling needs 🙂
I wish I had the time to dedicate to something like this because I need to do some learning myself. I would look into the UDK (Unreal Development Kit) and start using that to build your game with. There is a few projects discussed here that are currently developing against it.
I’m looking forward to see what you can do with the UDK personally. Because all of the examples on the UDK forums are for FPS games and not to many games are outside of that especially space games. So I would like to see if the engine can pull it off and hopefully there isn’t to much programing involved to create the actual universe and you can make that with general engine tools?
Tyranuus is it safe to say that the models that were created for CE2 can be used in UDK without a problem? That will save some time there because I’m sure you had a few assets already built for the CE2 version of the game.
Seems like you have a lot of pieces of the puzzle falling into place now tomm. Will be an interesting next few months for Pioneer as all of those new assets are added to the code. Great news actually.
I didn’t post anything on their forums about this I was just stating my opinion in the previous post. And from reading there forums I think I was close, it looks like the Precursors game didn’t have the subtitles option for there cutscenes so it will be difficult if not impossible to translate the audio. That’s if I read the forum responses correctly.
This is a shame really especially since Deep Shadows was wanting to do a Xbox360 release. And if they were doing this it would have to be ported to English, you would think they would build that functionality in to make there jobs easier upon conversion to English.
I have known about this game for a while. I didn’t add it to the list because I really couldn’t any concrete info on the game when I was doing my usual digging for games a few months ago. And was unsure if it was really being developed on. I can add this to the link list just to provide coverage on it. The game does have a lot of promise since it will be open source when released. So I do hope development continues…?
Firgof if you had to gauge Star Ruler’s overall progress do you have a percentage of completeness?
Doing QA on a 4x game has to be a daunting task all in itself. I think the balancing has to be the hardest part of QA testing for a 4x game because there is so many different aspects of the game you have to balance to make the game even depending on the direction the player chooses to try to win with.Maddog wrote:Hmm , didn’t know they reached Beta so fast, anyway those screens looks awesome.
I guess you could say its a limited featured close beta. Not all of the game functionality is there yet, but you can test flight mechanics and the destruction aspects of the game. The client is updated every few days or so with some new features to test.Maddog wrote:Lighting is much better now, as previous videos were too dark for my taste.
Personally for me I liked the darker environments its sets the mood of space better for me. Depending on the starlight and sun light the effects are nice. The lights on the ship really don’t come into play until you are fairly close to the object.