Notifications
Clear all

The new Avorion Demo 0.8.5 is out - Super Action Mode, Lasers and faster Gameplay

koonschi
(@koonschi)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,

After the initial post, have another one immediately: 

We released the latest demo for the game a few days ago! You can get it here.

Faster Gameplay

We watched youtubers and playtesters play the game and realized it was far too slow. So now we doubled (!) weapon damage, increased mining efficiency by 20% and ship velocities by 50%. Basically now all those previous lengths are gone!

6SDQQiK.jpg?2

Lasers

The new demo features a new turret type: Lasers. These weapons have high damage, medium range and are much easier to aim because you don't have to lead aim your target (they arrive immediately at their location). This makes them the perfect weapon for heated close-combat situations where you have to evade shots by your enemies while aiming. Just keep in mind that they require energy to shoot.

49J1yoK.jpg?1

The Super Action Mode

We want to show what Avorion is capable of in case of space combat, which is why we implemented the Super Action Mode for the game. In the Super Action Mode you start out in a combat ready ship, equipped with a crew, system upgrades and 4 lasers turrets and have to fight off neverending waves of enemies. You also get some starting resources so you can either extend your ship before the action starts or repair it between the waves. 

w7sA1hu.png?1

06kJNQj.png?1

You can find the full changelog here.

We'd be happy to hear feedback from your side considering the demo, and of course we're always looking for testers!

Koonschi

koonschi
(@koonschi)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

We released a quick hotfix for the demo, fixing a bug where turrets weren't displayed correctly and holding CTRL will now stop your ship from steering while you're looking around.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Downloading the demo tonight and I hope to play it and give some feedback this week sometime.

You have a lot of great concepts in what you are including in the game. How will multiplayer be handled will it be player driven servers of game hosted servers? How many players will be allowed on a server? Just with some of the screenshots there could be a lot of action on the screen and wondering how performance might be?

ReplyQuote
koonschi
(@koonschi)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Servers will be administrated by the players first, until we can afford some official servers. I haven't yet had the chance to actually test the backend with lots of players, so an actual maximum number is still unknown. It's no MMO though, so it might be limited at ~10 players.

But it depends on what the players are doing. If everyone is in their own sector just flying around it will support lots of players. If all players are crammed into the same sector crashing ships into each other performance will go down inevitably. The server uses a lot of parallelization, so basically it's limited by the number of cores of the server machine. 

ReplyQuote
curlsworth
(@curlsworth)
Petty Officer Registered

I downloaded it the other night. While the ship building was a bit confusing to me (not the descriptions of what the parts did, but how I was supposed to control the size and shape of the blocks) I had fun flying around for a bit.

I'll be happy to back your kickstarter.

ReplyQuote