Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Remember....

Anonymous
Topic starter  

Back in the day (late 80's/early 90's) there was a great little space rpg by New World Computing (I believe) called Planet's Edge. Great game. Sure would be nice if someone would update that game for today's computers. Also played one called Hard Nova that was fairly interesting. And of course the fantastic Starflight and Starflight 2. As much as I love new properties there are a few oldies I would love someone to remake. Anyway, just a thought.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Hello belliott

Planet's Edge is a game I have been looking for on Evil-bay but most of the copies seem to come from Germany and like most retro games from Germany seem to very expensive for some reason.

Never could get into Hard Nova for some reason.

You might want to have a look at the fan remake of Starflight.

http://groups.google.com/group/starflighttlc

Would like to see a Megatreveller 3 myself.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
Topic starter  

Did play both Mega Traveller 1 & 2 myself. Enjoyed both, especially the different planets with different local laws. What you could carry by customs on one planet, didn't necessarily work on another world. Thought that to be a unique twist. Used to could download Planets Edge on a site called The Underdogs. Don't know if that's still around are not. A Megatravller 3 would be appreciated. (Take a hint developers!!)

Thanks for the link to the Starflight project. I'm dating myself with this one, but there was an old SSI game called Star Command that was pretty good for it's day as were the Buck Rogers games too.

ReplyQuote
BrianRubin
(@brianrubin)
Senior Chief Registered

Oh lordy lord did I loves me some Star Command back in the day. Played the hell out of that game I did. Doesn't knock Starflight off its perch as one of my 3 favorite games, but it was awesome.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I do have a copy of Planets edge I got from some where on the net but I do like having the original box games as well Just for some of the amazing stuff you find in them.

Now days there be called special editions and cost about twice as much. 🙄

Use to get caught out with traveller when you came out of the space port and all of a sudden your team would start dying and it would be WTF until I realised that they had walk out into a vacuum without any of them wearing vacc suits. 😳 😆

Don’t think you see anything like that or the local laws levels in Mass Effect. ❓

Never got around to playing Star Command and I never played the Buck Roger ones.

Space Rogue is another of the old space adventure games worth having a look at.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
Topic starter  

God I had forgotten the little problem about making sure you had the right "attire" on for the different planets you were on. I also liked the idea that some weapons were okay to bring thru customs and some were not. Don't see that kind of detailed stuff in any sci-fi type game anymore. I would think that Megatraveller would be a good franchise to bring back to the table, especially in light of the great graphics available now. If Space Rogue was the game you flew thru a wormhole to travel from place to place, I do remember playing that game. Although, I don't think I ever completed it. Was it by Origin?

They tend to make an over abundance of fantasy type rpg's (and I've played quiet a few) and an under abundance of sci-fi type rpg's. I have enjoyed the Mass Effect games very much and I'm enjoying Precursors right now. Wish the Russian developers had hired someone to (and I hope this doesn't sound too uppity) "Americanize" it tho. Reading the dialogue is like pulling teeth. Another Russian developed game I have enjoyed and still boot up from time to time is Space Rangers 2 Reboot.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Yup Space Rogues was by Origin just love the amount of stuff you find in the box with that game. Although Origin was one of the better companies for putting goodies in the box.

If you playing Precursors make sure you are using Wasp5 English translation patch.

ReplyQuote
tianhe1
(@tianhe1)
Crewman Registered

Hi folks,

since we are talking about old games, I found at ABANDONIA an old classic, which I played decades ago on my Amiga 500: "Millennium 2.2". Not a shooter game at all, but rather well balanced strategy. There was also a sequel, named "Deuteros", which I liked as well. If I am not too wrong, I believe, that these games were only published and developed for Amiga and Atari ST 520. Now I should come to the point. I managed to play Millennium via DOS Box 0.74 on my new Win7/64 Ultimate. Playing is not the problem, besides the graphics, which were much better on Amiga, but if I intend to save my position, the 3 or four save-lines are declared as "Invalid file". ?? Playing, OK; Save, Njet! Anyway, I can not be asked to remain from the beginning till the end behind my Computer.

Additionally I found the same game as a remake from 2006 (Millennium Remake), with totally overworked graphics, minor changes in game-play, but for the rest, almost a copy-conform version. I almost forgot to mention, it runs on XP and should therefore also on win7 (x86). But unfortunately I here a problem as well. After some time early in the game, or only after 3-4 years of Game-time, that it gets stuck and the image remains frozen. Divide Error; Memory Access Violation.!!

Doe's anyone out there have some solutions to these problems?

Best regards, and always thankfully for every reply.

Marcel Schaffer

Vientiane, Lao PDR

ReplyQuote