Notifications
Clear all

Alpha Bug Reporting

Page 1 / 2

sphinxgate
(@sphinxgate)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I've had a long session on alpha 0.1a and uncovered a few bugs.  How best do you want these reported Scott, are you thinking of opening up a bugzilla or mantis style bug reporting system or incorporating a bug report tool within the game ?

Oh and as an aside, please could we have a Pause feature in the game, left my computer for about 5 minutes and came back to everything closed and -1 Colonists, essentially a restart of my profile - doh!

lassombra
(@lassombra)
Petty Officer Registered

The right click to purchase issue appears to be resolution dependent. On certain resolutions (still figuring out which ones exactly) the left half of the button doesn't capture the mouse input, but since right click doesn't do anything else it usually still triggers the button. Left click appears to work 100% of the time on the right half.

ReplyQuote
sphinxgate
(@sphinxgate)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

The right click to purchase issue appears to be resolution dependent. On certain resolutions (still figuring out which ones exactly) the left half of the button doesn't capture the mouse input, but since right click doesn't do anything else it usually still triggers the button. Left click appears to work 100% of the time on the right half.

That would make sense as I still sometimes place constructions far over to the right (nr where the button would have been), I'm using resolution 1920 x1080.

ReplyQuote
lassombra
(@lassombra)
Petty Officer Registered

From the readme:

Submitting bugs:

As the game is in alpha stage it is and will continue to have bugs and issues that will eventually get fixed.

I am currently working on a system for people to submit bugs if they wish to (you paid for a product not a job, its not a requirement to submit them but the option is there if you would like to) for the time being we have an internal bug report system, if you would like to be a part of the bug testing please contact me at colonisationgames@gmail.com and I can sort access out to this system until a better one is in place.

ReplyQuote
sphinxgate
(@sphinxgate)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

They will automatically de-activate if you do not keep them repaired, building a repair depot will give you repair ships to either automatically repair or you can send them to repair a specific building.

I found that when I click the right hand ship and issue a repair instruction I lose all input via the mouse, a restart of the game cures the problem, issuing repair instructions to the left hand ship seems to work as expected.

ReplyQuote
sphinxgate
(@sphinxgate)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

@ lassombra - thanks for that, I remembered seeing that somewhere but didn't realise it was the readme included with the game !

The most annoying bug for me at the moment is that the qty of Colonists doesn't show on the status of a constuction, so I'm forever going into the construction tab to see how many colonists are required - will be good when that one is fixed : p

ReplyQuote
SJones
(@sjones)
Master Chief Registered

I have done some testing and you are correct right click also works! something I wasn't expecting (and have never tried) - not sure if this will cause any problems yet...

the left click I also attempted, I have scaled the window to all kinds of resolutions and aspect ratios, I can't see any issue with it myself, my speculation is that there is a delay and when you left click too early it doesn't send the click, if you come across it again , let me know the resolution and how long you have been playing for, also before moving your mouse again, wait a few seconds and try clicking again and see if it accepts it this time.

The right click and left click sends the same command and the button detection area is the same for both, so if one works the other should have no reason not to as well. will be interesting to get to the bottom of this though!

ReplyQuote
SJones
(@sjones)
Master Chief Registered

I found that when I click the right hand ship and issue a repair instruction I lose all input via the mouse, a restart of the game cures the problem, issuing repair instructions to the left hand ship seems to work as expected.

Could you tell me what the right ship was doing previously before you sent it somewhere?

ReplyQuote
SJones
(@sjones)
Master Chief Registered

Thanks sphinxgate, I remember looking being told about some bug tracking tools but couldnt remember where, these look like the things I was after!

have you had any experience with either of these? if so whats your favourite? at the moment I am using google docs as it was inhouse testing and the testing team were close friends that I know wouldn't go messing it up 😛

My webspace skills are not that great so implementing any of these will take a little while, in the mean time if you can post them in this thread I can keep track of them (fix them too) and then later enter them into the database.

I will be moving some of the posts out of the alpha impressions thread to this one as I would like to keep the impressions and the bugs separate.

On other news I think I have fixed the purchase button issue for both not being able to click on it and also sending the buildings off into the distance :).

One other thing I would like to apologize for is the kickstarter message, I forgot I left that in, it was intended for the demo that would be released if the stretch goal was met! this will be removed for the next build.

ReplyQuote
sphinxgate
(@sphinxgate)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Usually in a refuel cycle, i.e going up and down on the landing pad.   I'm pre-empting a building failure, clicking the ship, selecting repair and then the building.

I noticed that the ships refuel, take off and if no immediate repair they land again, it's when I interrupt this loop (but only on the right ship do I have a problem) - quite easy to repeat as I've had it a few times.

ReplyQuote
SJones
(@sjones)
Master Chief Registered

Thanks, will look into it, I have had sooooo many issues with these damn repair ships!

ReplyQuote
SJones
(@sjones)
Master Chief Registered

@ lassombra - thanks for that, I remembered seeing that somewhere but didn't realise it was the readme included with the game !

The most annoying bug for me at the moment is that the qty of Colonists doesn't show on the status of a constuction, so I'm forever going into the construction tab to see how many colonists are required - will be good when that one is fixed : p

How do you mean? there is a bug that the colonists are not used until the building is complete - giving you the ability to go into negative colonists.

However if you refer to the building selection menu, where you see its purchasing requirements, that you then click on to start placement, the colonists requirement/usage is displayed just above the temporary icon

reqcol.jpg

ReplyQuote
TylerL
(@tylerl)
Crewman Registered

Construction Menu Bug:

After opening the Info on the Factory and hitting cancel, the left side of the menu and the arrow icons were gone.  The arrows would still work and pop back into picture if the mouse cursor was over it.  This occurred with quite a few other pages also.

Screenshot:

[attachment=2145:Colonisation Moonbase Bug.jpg]

ReplyQuote
lassombra
(@lassombra)
Petty Officer Registered

For bug tracking solutions I've used bugzilla and trac to great success.  Trac is more of a complete project management system (which I've used on many projects) and really requires a lot of set up.  bugzilla on the other hand at least seems slimmer and a simpler install (I've never set it up, just used it).  Also, if you are in need of web skills, I can offer some services.  PM me if you want more information about how I might be able to help there.

Edit:

I have done some testing and you are correct right click also works! something I wasn't expecting (and have never tried) - not sure if this will cause any problems yet...

the left click I also attempted, I have scaled the window to all kinds of resolutions and aspect ratios, I can't see any issue with it myself, my speculation is that there is a delay and when you left click too early it doesn't send the click, if you come across it again , let me know the resolution and how long you have been playing for, also before moving your mouse again, wait a few seconds and try clicking again and see if it accepts it this time.

The right click and left click sends the same command and the button detection area is the same for both, so if one works the other should have no reason not to as well. will be interesting to get to the bottom of this though!

After further fiddling, I am finding you are correct.  For some reason at some resolutions, I don't have the delay at all, for others I do.  In all resolutions though, clicking on the right half seems to work before the button turns green, while the left half waits until the button turns green.

EDIT 2:

And one new bug to report.  I have managed to colocate some buildings.  I allowed a building to be built in the default position, but moved it slightly.  Then when I went to build another building, it put it in the default position and said it was a valid location.

[attachment=2146:DefaultPos.png]

Building it does infact work, and I now have a working solar panel inside a hydroponics facility:

[attachment=2147:DefaultPosBuilt.png]

ReplyQuote
sphinxgate
(@sphinxgate)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

How do you mean? there is a bug that the colonists are not used until the building is complete - giving you the ability to go into negative colonists.

However if you refer to the building selection menu, where you see its purchasing requirements, that you then click on to start placement, the colonists requirement/usage is displayed just above the temporary icon

Sorry Scott, I didn't explain it very well, the actual building selection menu does correctly show the number of colonists, the problem I have is after building placement, when you check the status of a building (by left clicking it) all the resources are shown bar the number of colonists required to operate.

So to actually check that I'm re-opening the building menu to check.  

What would be really awesome is a right click on building popup that shows a snapshot of the basic building resource considerations.

The main resource I had problems with was the colonists and I think this was in the main down to the missing data on the building stats, no quick glance option to see which building to temp close for that boost.    When the resource dashboard shows -1 Colonists, you can't even create buildings with a 0 cost Colonist value, so gradually the complete system fails as closing buildings doesn't recover the colonist count.   This may have been you're intended mechanic - to ensure the importance of monitoring the number of colonists you have and if that's the case the support quantities for each building would perhaps need to be more obvious in the UI.

Hope that helps, if not I'll get a screen grab later this evening to explain my points above.

edit - screenshot showing the missing info for Colonist numbers, obtained by left clicking a structure.

ReplyQuote
sphinxgate
(@sphinxgate)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

As for bug tracking Scott, does your web hosting package come with mysql ?

If not, I have a pro hosting platform available at the moment and could mock up a bugzilla install with database for you to have a look at ?

I haven't used the other tracking software I mentioned, Mantis, but it does look quite colourful and intiutive.

I suppose it's worth investigating a web based solution as when you go to beta having a robust bug system will help dividends (and prevents the forum turning into a bug fest!)

ReplyQuote
sphinxgate
(@sphinxgate)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for the fix update at http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/topic/3823-current-fixes-for-the-next-build/

Nice to see some of the early bugs and improvements getting fixed/implimented so quickly.

ReplyQuote
SJones
(@sjones)
Master Chief Registered

No problem, I am planning on fixing all the big problems asap so that the alpha experience goes well with little crashes or lockups, this helps me get feedback and design ideas of what works and what doesn't.

Things that will take longer to do are big features like re-working the UI, and in the case of UI problems unless they are fairly bad will possibly not be fixed as its time spent on something that will eventually change.

saying that I have been avoiding those annoying repair ships for a while.

ReplyQuote
Apollo11
(@apollo11)
Petty Officer Registered

Was trying to get my repair ships to repair the mining thing, I clicked on left ship, then both ships and around so not sure how I got the Repair screen to show See Red lettering in photo. Clicked Repair & nothing seemed to happen, so I clicked cancel & got the cancel you see & still had the Red Lettering too. I clicked Cancel again and the Red Lettering went away but now seem stuck in a Screen that Canel doesn't work & I can't get out of either.

[attachment=2151:Cancel Stuck.jpg]

ReplyQuote
SJones
(@sjones)
Master Chief Registered

This looks similar to a known bug, if you click on the repair ship again, it should open the repair ship menu, if you then click cancel it should go back to normal operation, alternatively resetting the game should fix the issue.

The issue seems to be once you directed a ship to repair something and then press cancel that the cancel menu doesn't close properly.

ReplyQuote
sphinxgate
(@sphinxgate)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

A new bug and a suggestion, and I may have mentioned these elsewhere in a post but for clarity;

* When you a have a negative number of colonists (-1 usually) you are unable to create building's with a colonist resource value of 0

* When a building has been repaired fully by a repair ship it would be useful if it auto re-activated, when you get over 20 building's it's quite time consuming manually.

Don't mind when I've intentionally de-activated a building, just the ones that get repaired should be automatically re-activated imo.

ReplyQuote
SJones
(@sjones)
Master Chief Registered

* When a building has been repaired fully by a repair ship it would be useful if it auto re-activated, when you get over 20 building's it's quite time consuming manually.

This is something I also considered, I found it frustrating when all of a sudden a lot of buildings went offline, then finding the ones that have been repaired but are de-activated and the ones that have not been repaired, this one may take a little time to do and probably won't be in the next build.

As for the negative colonists, this should not occur, if there isn't enough colonists to run your base, buildings will shut down and colonists will leave so this shouldn't be an issue once the negative colonists bug is fixed.

ReplyQuote
Apollo11
(@apollo11)
Petty Officer Registered

I just tried to start & play a new game and came up with a Building Limit of ZERO as in 0000 /0000

How do I change this !!!

[attachment=2158:Building-Limit.jpg]

ReplyQuote
lassombra
(@lassombra)
Petty Officer Registered

Build a construction base.

ReplyQuote
SJones
(@sjones)
Master Chief Registered

Yep, with cash (you should have a reset amount of cash) I am unsure if the tutorial was working to begin with (the current sorry excuse for one anyway) where it may of told you to build a construction yard, as construction yards give you building limit, they don't require a building slot themselves.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2