Notifications
Clear all

Game difficulty

SJones
(@sjones)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

How hard are people finding the game?

One thing that has came up a few times is the difficulty of the game, while there will be tutorials to help new people, I would like, if possible, to make the game easier just to jump in to and play, it is very hard for me to recognize areas that players may find potentially hard because I came up with the ideas and know exactly how to play the game, as such the difficulty for me is the difficulty of the game with regards to expansion of the base and not the "how to play"

So when you play it, what part do you find most difficult and puts you off? The graphical user interface? Mechanics? Controls?

This question comes possibly a little too late but I am interested if there is anything that can be done still to improve it for new-comers.

sphinxgate
(@sphinxgate)
Master Chief Registered

I don't think the difficulty comes from the GUI or the controls.  The build order is definitely a challenge early on, but it is somthing you can learn from and even possibly recover.

We've talked about the construction UI before and I think the categories of constructions could be located to aid a build order, it's not always clear which family of buildings are linked or have dependancies.

I was finding that the Repair Yard was tucked away at the end of a panel along with the Water Mining Facility.

I don't think it's a good idea to over simplify and the tutorials may overcome the problem but as you've designed the buildings you know what they all do, the player has to initially spend time learning the purpose of the construction.

You changed the UI in later versions and it certainly was a step in the right direction, perhaps you could post a fresh screengrab and I'll point out what I mean on it.

ReplyQuote
SJones
(@sjones)
Master Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I have slightly changed the building UI in the next version, currently have a small issue that if you are running at #### x 720 resolution that the bottom is cut off, however the category menu has changed as I really did not like it in the left corner, it was too small.

As to the category order, it was something I was originally aiming for however the gameplay has changed sufficiently enough to change the opening build order, saying that the repair facility is in the wrong place and needs to be more prominent, this was due to it being added last, it loads the buildings up in the order they are in the database (thus why you will be able to add your own content at the end of the standard stuff) its a pain to change this quickly so I have left it as is till now.

The tutorial should really help with the initial build setup giving hints on what is needed and in what order, needless to say I will eventually get around to sorting out the building order in the menu.

As to a screengrab I will just let you play the game 😛 the release should be here very soon.

ReplyQuote