Clear all

Elite: Dangerous

Page 22 / 23

Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I am unable to use their Download service...

Strange one, that - there must be a reason or something for that, surely?

Downloading has been straightforward here (though I'm only on the tutorials).

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

I got no idea why it happens and why it only happens with them, anyhow I am not too bothered about downloading the game now as it's probably gained a few more GB of data and I might as well wait for the Kickstarter disc to be sent out,although this will give me problems in the future with updates/patches.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I gotta ask the obvious, just in case - you have checked your firewall etc, yes?

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I gotta ask the obvious, just in case - you have checked your firewall etc, yes?

That was the only reply to my support ticket that Frontier gave me, and it made no difference.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Hi Pinback, have you tried contacting Ashley Barley over on the Frontier Forum directly? He is head of Customer Service over there. Gotta be worth a try at least, here is a link to PM him and hope you get ED up and running.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Hi Pinback, have you tried contacting Ashley Barley over on the Frontier Forum directly? He is head of Customer Service over there. Gotta be worth a try at least, here is a link to PM him and hope you get ED up and running.

Cheers Geraldine I may have to get in touch with him but I am going to wait until the have sent the game out.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Oh dear! That newsletter has stirred things up some - no offline mode!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Oh dear! That newsletter has stirred things up some - no offline mode!

Just read it so much for engaging with the community. 

Continuing to grow the game past the launch date as we plan would just not be possible at all with the constraints of physical disc manufacture and distribution, and is made possible only by the online nature of Elite: Dangerous.

Very ambiguous they need to clarify what the they mean, especial for these of us who backed the game at the £90 pledge and above and who expecting a single player boxed edition of the game. As it stand now it looks like that the future updates will be online but has the single player mode of the game been dumped in favor of an online only game.

Can't say that I am that surprised I got no doubt that they have sat their with green eyed envy as Star Citizen total goes up by millions every few weeks and every single commercial developer want's the next "World Of Warcraft" or "Minecraft" game, so at some point I guess their will be adding some sort of microtransactions to the game.    

ReplyQuote
Nilreb
(@nilreb)
Crewman Registered

Only to point out: "offline" is from the list, "Solo"  (the single player mode) is alive. But unfortunately not without internet connection.

Lets wait what "Beta 3,9" on thusday and the 22.11. will bring ....

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

In other words a DRM.

ReplyQuote
SerialKicked
(@serialkicked)
Petty Officer Registered

So Elite 4 is now a online only game that will become unplayable in a few years due to the closing of servers, supported by in-game ads, with no sign of planetary landing (at least not for a while, and only if they think it wouldn't be too time consuming as well) ? 

They might as well rename their game. It's no more an Elite game than Rebirth was a X game.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

In other words a DRM.

Aye, and that too! It's not a deal-breaker for me personally, but it is a big slap in the face for quite a few people in particular, and for their forum in general. It's been pretty toxic over there since FD dropped that payload. It's the timing that foxes me - they should've been drip-feeding those potential problems with implementing offline weeks/months ago!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

It is rather pretty though. I'm now parked-up out on the frontier at Bradbury Station (which is cool, as I'm a big fan of Ray Bradbury).

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Hey I am based there Cody! What a coincidence!

Oh, and speaking of Ray Bradbury..

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

Hey I am based there Cody! What a coincidence!

<grins> Yeah... I'll waggle my Cobra's wings as your invisible island drifts past mine.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

On the subject of Ray Bradbury, this lady is a big fan too! Health advisory: contains foul language - NSFW.

http://boingboing.net/2010/08/18/nsfw-tribute-to-ray.html

I hope that vid still works - I can't play it anymore as it requires flash player, which I refuse to install.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

That song was......different!   As for Invisible Islands we could fix that y'know

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

A talented lady, that's for sure. When Ray Bradbury saw it, his only objection was being called a sci-fi writer - something he always denied being. She took that on board and made a version with the 'sci-fi' bits censored! He was a truly great writer, of whichever genre!

As for Invisible Islands we could fix that y'know

I'm still learning* how to do stuff, and I've still got tutorials to do - I've only been in the game for a few brief sessions. I do intend to make Bradbury Station my base for a while though - give me a few days, and if you're still thereabouts, we could merge islands! <grins>

*I'm doing it exactly how I did it thirty years ago - just launching and pressing keys to see what happens!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

*I'm doing it exactly how I did it thirty years ago - just launching and pressing keys to see what happens!

This is exactly what to do. That and setting up your controller, joystick or whatever your using to fly with. Just take your time, before you know it you will be flinging that Cobbie around with ease.

As for Bradbury, I will be around the general area for a bit while I build up my equipment levels. Well that is if there isn't another wipe before then. If there is goodness knows were I'd end up. Anyways once the ship is decked out I plan on heading out for the Rim to see what's out there far from the core.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered
Topic starter  

I don't think any of the design team has ever played Oolite so I guess it's just a coincidence that the mechanics turned out similar.

<chortles>

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

News letter 51 come out yesterday and at last a mention of the boxed edition of the game.

Elite: Dangerous Boxed - Full Edition

Purchase the 'Full' edition if you have not bought any previous editions of Elite: Dangerous

Purchase the 'Upgrade' edition if you have already pre-ordered a digital version of Elite: Dangerous - Mercenary Edition and have a game account

Contents Include

• Elite: Dangerous full game on DVD (requires online connection)

• Elite: Dangerous full game access key

• Quick Start Manual

Availability: December 16th

Pre-Order £45.00

I take it that this just the standard edition of the game as I noticed when I log into the shop that they are readying the collector edition to be sent

and according to the backer app the collector edition should contain the following.

Premium Boxed Edition of Elite: Dangerous

• DRM-free collector's premium boxed edition of "Elite: Dangerous". Includes a T shirt with "I backed Elite: Dangerous" on the back, an A3 Star Map and a paperback copy of the official sequel to "The Dark Wheel".

Should also have a manual although it may just turn out to be a one sheet of paper job.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

You will have probably seen the laughable pre rendered Video trailer that Frontier developments have put out for the game, but this one more accurately shows what you are getting.

ReplyQuote
Ambrosius
(@ambrosius)
Senior Chief Registered

LOL, yes, saw this elsewhere.  Very funny.

ReplyQuote
Vuzz
 Vuzz
(@vuzz)
Warrant Officer Registered

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

I started playing a couple of days ago, and it reminds me of a survey sim in space (think of Jane's USAF, or Strike Fighters 2 in space), which is a good thing IMHO   . Although it's damn hard. I lost half of my starting credits to fines  😮 , and also  failled  in my first mission!!! (I jettissoned my cargo accidentally!!!!  😳 ). I am using a Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar, and it's really like piloting a spaceship (or flying a jet fighter in space  🙂 ). And had no trouble with docking      !!!

ReplyQuote
Page 22 / 23