Notifications
Clear all

Elite: Dangerous

Page 7 / 23

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Actually, if one looks at Godus KS page, if they had the same per value per pledge that E:D has, they would be just 6k £ short of their goal. Another very interesting difference is the interaction: E:D pledgers have an average of  2.65 posts per pledger, about 12 times Godus pledgers.

Regarding planetary landing, imho it is a given. Silence regarding it feels to be a comunication strategy. Good or bad, will depend on the success...

Godus has not had as much deveopler comment as E:D has, may also be a contributing factor to  their Kickstarter.

I don't think you can take Planetary Landing as a given until they say yay or nay about it. Although as you say they may be holding it back for the last couple of weeks of the Kickstarter.

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Given how slow their $$ are gathering it might be a good idea to throw at the public, right now, every single thing they have to show: ingame videos, concept art, cool features, storyline hints etc. instead of keeping it hidden to TRY and build up suspense, or else they'll find themselves in the situation where they wont get their project funded in time. Honestly, given how things look at this time, I don't think they'll reach their goal or even come anywhere near it, but that's just an opinion. Thing is they are yet to show anything spectacular about the game, I mean even thou their latest video with the combat involving small and large ships is rather ok, there's nothing cool about it at all. I've been having this type (or better) of combat and graphics for the last ten years in various games so where exactly is "wow" factor here ? All I've seen at this time are boring (as hell) dev diaries, a few pics of average concept art (again, nothing spectacular, so big mistake here) and a couple ingame videos of dogfights with mechanics and graphics that are meh, average at best. Yes I'm aware this is like really really early alpha stage but to be frank, when you ask for 1.2 million $ you CAN and should show something cool to your audience instead of blocky 3D models that fly like airplanes through asteroids which look like models made in 1 minute or faster by someone learning the "job" after watching an online tutorial about asteroid creation. I've seen alpha footage from indie games (with extremely low budgets) made by dev teams that consisted of just a couple of guys that looked as good or way better than what I've seen so far in Elite. I know it sounds rough and I'm sorry because I also would've liked a new Elite game but I just don't like the way this one's handled and presented to the public; it just screams "project made in haste", it feels like the game has no soul, nothing special, unique and is yet another average space game in a deep ocean filled with average space games.

I noticed the devs prefer to TELL me how cool and great the game is instead of showing me. I get it, they have so many ideas about how the game will be, but honestly at this point I don't care about IDEAS, I need to see something when you're asking me for a million or more. We all have ideas, probably many more then the ED devs. I have on my laptop dozens of documents in pdf and txt format with hundreds of pages of "ideas" for game stories, gameplay, mechanics, grapchics, missions and so on, but you don't see me asking you for a small fortune just so I could make a game in haste because I saw the mad success RSI had with their Star Citizen project. For example I loved the Star Citizen project, I felt involved in it, they gave out so much information, so many great videos and good concept art that I almost felt and tasted the Star Citizen universe, I was in it already flying my imaginary ship. As much as I'd want to like this new Elite something prevents me from doing it. I feel somehow ashamed about this game, because they're trying to cash in on dreams and promises made to hard core fans of the space sim genre and even that, they're not doing it right. They don't want to create this game because they love or like it, they just try to "go with the flow" with this frenzy that kickstarter is for a while now, and hope fate smiles on them so they could make a $ or two. It's a completely different feeling than what you got from Chris Roberts and his project, that guy gave out a vibe that told you he loves his project and he's gonna do it the best possible way, well, that vibe is all but missing with Braben, sorry.

I hope I did not offend anyone who cares about this project or has a direct interest in it. This is a personal opinion and should be treated as such.

These are my 2 cents (and a few more).

ReplyQuote
Straker
(@straker)
Senior Chief Registered

I hope todays update isn't another interview. I don't think they do much for the cause to be honest....

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

All good point SolCommand but as a fanboy of the Elite series I think they will hit their target but it will be at the lower end of the scale in less they produce some blinding videos in the next three weeks and I do think the whole Kickstarter could and should have been done better.

Thinking the same think Straker part 3 of that interview, hopefully they might have some more game footage in it.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Hot off the Frontier forum

AtmosphereEntry_zps34385cb0.jpg

I'am very relieved  to see this bit concept art. 😎 😎 😎 😎

ReplyQuote
FrontierAshley
(@frontierashley)
Petty Officer Registered

Hot off the Frontier forum

I'am very relieved  to see this bit concept art. 😎 😎 😎 😎

You may have missed the link above it, containing information that I know a lot of you have asked about!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Cheers Ashley I just watched it and I think you guys made the right decision here to go with doing planetary landing and walking about stations ect as update to the game.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Cheers Ashley I just watched it and I think you guys made the right decision here to go with doing planetary landing and walking about stations ect as update to the game.

I agree.

Frontier had planetary landing. Actually it wasn't much different from landing on a sace station tbqh - a slightly different experience, ok, need for atmospheric shielding and a view over the main cities. But eprsonally I always felt it was a missed opportunity.

Now.. land on a unknown planet and actually explore it... that brings PERN, Star Trek, and dozens of other Sci Fi instiled feelings into the mix.

Carry on Commander!

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)
Warrant Officer Registered

Didnt saw the video for the moment, but happy to hear that there will be planets landings, even if we should wait a while for an update.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Btw, forgot the mention... entering into other players ships sounds delicious 😀

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Btw, forgot the mention... entering into other players ships sounds delicious 😀

Agreed also see he mentioned big game hunting that's been mentioned a few times in the past.

I see some one on the Kickstarter comments mentioned Oolite as in the negative "what difference would their be between the two games".

But I think Oolite is a very good example of what could be done in that you have the basic game then the oxp add in all sorts of features.

Now given that Frontier will have a full time group of developers working on the game the possibilities are endless.

ReplyQuote
DiabloTigerSix
(@diablotigersix)
Master Chief Registered

I'm completely sold. There are only 3 more things that would make this one of my dream space games:

1. Base/asset building on planets, on asteroids or in empty space and other RTS elements. The more the better.

2. Large procedurally generated cave complexes on planets with procedurally generate content inside them, even deadly aliens occasionally. Or sometimes just weird, (procedurally generated again) scary-looking, but harmless creatures doing interesting stuff.

3. Wheeled vehicles to explore areas where ships can't go, like the above mentioned caves. Walking around objects of realistic scale would take forever so I think they're quite necessary.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Or sometimes just weird, (procedurally generated again) scary-looking, but harmless creatures doing interesting stuff.

Mostly harmless, please 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I'm completely sold. There are only 3 more things that would make this one of my dream space games:

1. Base/asset building on planets, on asteroids or in empty space and other RTS elements. The more the better.

2. Large procedurally generated cave complexes on planets with procedurally generate content inside them, even deadly aliens occasionally. Or sometimes just weird, (procedurally generated again) scary-looking, but harmless creatures doing interesting stuff.

3. Wheeled vehicles to explore areas where ships can't go, like the above mentioned caves. Walking around objects of realistic scale would take forever so I think they're quite necessary.

RTS, oh god no

The game you have just described sound a lot like  Shores of Haerzon.

Comment from BD yesterday.

Greg, others - yes, surface planetary landings is a stretch goal, but in the plan. If we significantly blow through the KS min goal, then everyone in KS should get at least the first few updates free when they come. If we just scrape it, then it is only fair the high pledgers would get them free anyway. The decisions on the ordering of the content of the updates will be something the design group will be part of. Also, people seem to be getting hung up on whether planetary landings are there or not. This is not an on/off thing but something that will come in stages, as I said in the video. Some places will never get landings on the surface (like gas giants or stars) as it makes no sense. The pressures and temperatures of where we believe a solid surface exists on Jupiter are unbelievably high, but landings, even in amongst the clouds, should still be possible, in stations suspended in the gas.I strongly believe we should wait until we have the content to do this well, but it is something we can sensibly discuss in the design decision forums. I also believe we should not over-promise here. This will be a great game, and will continue to improve over time.

The timing of these updates will indeed depend on the additional budget - which will not just come from KS, but from the first commercial release too.

And confirmed this morning in an update that all pledges over £90 will get free updates.

Hi,

Michael here again for a quick update on the fine Saturday. The first news is that everyone who has pledged at £90 tier or higher will receive any Elite: Dangerous expansions for free.

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)

And confirmed this morning in an update that all pledges over £90 will get free updates.And confirmed this morning in an update that all pledges over £90 will get free updates.

Damn it

Planet landing postponed to further updates, and no free updates under 90£ - May I cancel my pledge ? 

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)

Sure just go to Manage your Pledge, its the big button underneath the 'days to go'

I won't be for mine. Since I realize Frontier is a BUSINESS. If they need more of my money to make my dream game, then so be it. Planetary landings in FFE did absolutely nothing for me. I usually landed on stations just because it was quicker. So I couldn't give a rats behind about planetary landings. I have better things to do then gawk at scenery.

Like make credits! 

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Sure just go to Manage your Pledge, its the big button underneath the 'days to go'

I won't be for mine. Since I realize Frontier is a BUSINESS. If they need more of my money to make my dream game, then so be it. Planetary landings in FFE did absolutely nothing for me. I usually landed on stations just because it was quicker. So I couldn't give a rats behind about planetary landings. I have better things to do then gawk at scenery.

Like make credits! 

That is quite my point. Planetary landings as they existed in Frontier/FFE were, for the most part, a tickmark on a box. Wasted potential. Now, of FD can make planets that make sense in a space sim environement... damn, ...

BTW, for those that refered the sneaking into other peoples ships to be a sort of GTA, once read that the creator of GTA once described it (guess to DB) as "Elite in a city".

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

What you have too remember is that Frontier is nearly 20 years old and FFE is 17, both were good in their day and for the time they were made they both pushed the technology.

In the last 20 odd years we have seen maybe 4 or 5 games which have had seamless planetary landings but none of these game have pushed what can be done now, they have just been a retread of the Frontier games with a procedurally generated landscape with a few trees and the odd city.

GTA is a good example of what could be done and it's not about hitting someone over the head with a baseball bat and stealing their spaceship. Just stand still in one of the GTA games and watch what goes on around you.

Now if you can expand that out to a whole living world, solar system then the universe the possibilities could be endless, player really could make their own adventures in the game.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

"GTA is a good example of what could be done and it's not about hitting someone over the head with a        baseball bat and stealing their spaceship. Just stand still in one of the GTA games and watch what goes on around you."

Awww, why not?   But your right about just standing and watching what happens around you in GTA, sometimes its quite funny what whose games throw up in front of you.

Now if you can expand that out to a whole living world, solar system then the universe the possibilities could be endless, player really could make their own adventures in the game.

Indeed Pinback, this is what I always envisioned for a new Elite game, actual living starports with their own stores going on.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Following on from the living world idea I spotted one of Michael post on Kickstarter.

@ Valerius That is a lot of questions, let me answer what I can. Elite is more focused on open world gameplay. You are the pilot of a spaceship and can then travel the galaxy (pretty much the entire galaxy), you can buy and sell goods, hunt pirates for bounty or even be a pirate. There will be little story vignettes scattered around the galaxy for players to follow. The game supports multiplayer, but also has an evolving galaxy that means the polical and economic shape of the galaxy changes over time and according the player triggered events. There are many details that are not finalised yet, but I'll try and provide some flavour for your specific questions. In ELite you can buy and improve ships. The ships are modular so you can put better modules in to improve your ship.For example more powerful engines improve acceleration. Shields provide some defense against energetic attacks (which includes missiles to a degree). They don't help much with collisions. Shields cover the whole ship. How much enrgy balancing gameplay there will be hasn't been determined yet. There will be capital ships in game - engage them at your peril 🙂 There's no boarding in the core release of the game - although we do want to look at that in an expansion. How multiple ships are handled hasn't been decided yet. I think it's unlikely you can build a fleet in the same way you can in the X series. The universe has AI pilots to defend stations and so forth as well as player pilots. Michael

The interesting bit for me is  "There will be little story vignettes scattered around the galaxy for players to follow" I hope these will be self contained like a TV  episodes or the Book that came with Frontier. I think this is a better idea to have lot of different small stories rather than just one big one.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Part 3 of the interview

interesting bit for me is towards the end where both of them asked about story, looks like both games will have small self contained stories comprising of a number of missions

They also have a paypal option on the site now. http://elite.frontier.co.uk/kickstarter.html#.UNDR83dAYdU

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Something that is probably more effective than any video:

http://robertsspaceindustries.com/project-godus-and-elite-dangerous/

/bow Chris Roberts.

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Well, it's definitely something you don't see everyday. Nice of him.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Nice, I left a comment on there too.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Awesome  😎  😎

The second project is Elite: Dangerous from Frontier Developments. They still have 17 days left, but are also in danger of missing their minimum Kickstarter raise without a surge towards the end. They need a little more – some £456,000. You may say hey Chris, why do you want to support a competing project? Well I believe the world is big enough for multiple quality Space Sims. Having to compete against the Star Wars X-Wing games from Larry Holland certainly didn’t harm Wing Commander and I feel Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous are different types / styles of games.  Star Citizen is more focused on a “crafted” approach to the universe – more detail, cinematic flair and more unique characters and locations whereas Elite will follow a more procedural approach which will allow it to have a much larger galaxy to explore as a lot of content will be computer generated.  Besides wanting to see Space Sims make a comeback, I fondly remember playing the original Elite on the BBC Micro by David Braben and Ian Bell. I started my game development career around the same time David did, with my first three games all being on the BBC Micro in the UK before I moved across to the USA and joined up with Origin. The original Elite definitely got me thinking about  just how cool it would be to blend 3D space combat that with a cinematic story to create the experience I always craved when watching Star Wars.

Amazing about Godus a week ago it looked dead but it looks like they may just scrape past their target.

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 23