Notifications
Clear all

So what is your thoughts so far on Elite: Dangerous

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I know I am probably gonna get beat up a bit. But I have decided to wait until the game is fully released to buy E:D and I wanted to get some honest opinions on how people are liking the early access beta version? Do you think this game is going to deliver what you have been waiting on in a Elite sequel? Is there something that you don't like about E:D?

ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

I am signed up for the standard beta and have just gotten access to the combat module (full beta at end of month).  Overall it is definitely very enjoyable, but there are a few caveats regarding things I was quite disappointed in.

Given the descriptions I had read prior, I was surprised about how "arcadey" it feels (as in feeling very much like X-Wing).  It definitely feels nothing like the more realistic games such as Independence War, Terminus, Evochron or Frontier.  (I point it to those people who loath realism, that I genuinely found those games more fun and interesting as well, at least where the flight model is concerned.)  This to me is a disappointment, but it is still quite fun, and already feels impressively polished, so I am still optimistic that I'll be thrilled with the final product.

My big complaints have to do with some extremely bizarre (and, not to be disparaging to the outstanding developers, but I can't help but say seemingly stupid) decisions that have been made regarding the flight model.  The first is that the yaw rate is about half what the roll and pitch rates are.  This is apparently to force people to roll.  Why anybody would want this is completely beyond me, but I've been reading that people for some reason want it to feel like an airplane (why?).  The literature seems to indicate that this is NOT dependent on the ship you are flying (which I would be much happier with) but a general feature of the game.

The other thing that really bothers me, which is a much bigger problem, but which I can at least see some logic to (unlike the slow yaw) is that there is a maneuverability "sweet spot" at 1/2 throttle.  This is not half thrust mind you, but 1/2 what ever your current "speed cap" is (which by the way, you can't thrust past much at all).  This has several extremely deleterious effects.  The first is that it completely screws up that "flight assist off" mode.  As a vivid example, if you are flying straight at half throttle, turn off flight assist, turn 90^o, your maneuverability has just dropped to practically nothing.  This is EXTREMELY un-intuitive, and, forgive my use of such vague language, it just feels completely wrong.  This is only one example of the problems the "sweet spot" causes for the flight assist, but it gets harder to describe; I suspect you can well imagine.  The second big problem with the "sweet spot" is that it makes even simple throttle adjustments feel awkward and un-intuitive.  In most games (including very "arcade" ones like X-Wing and Freespace) one is constantly adjusting throttle as one reacts to their opponent.  In Elite, you basically have to stay near half throttle except in special situations.  I can definitely see an argument being made about this adding "depth" to the flight mechanics, but, apart from seeming completely ridiculous, any "depth" it might add seems to be counteracted by figuratively tying down your throttle hand.

I've read much about people saying they wish to avoid "turretting" and "jousting", but rest assured, quite a lot goes on in Elite as it is (and I don't think those things are quite as bad as they are made out to be).   If these bizarre maneuverability constraints were indeed an effort to avoid these things, I can't help but think they were absolutely the wrong way to go, in more sense than one.

As frustrating as I found these things, the game is still quite fun, and demonstrates mostly good base game mechanics for full-blown Elite.  For the most part, it feels like a slightly improved X-Wing or TIE Fighter game (there are some extremely positive points, especially about the weapon mechanics which I have not mentioned because my post is already extremely long).  Even if you were hoping for something a little different like I was, I think you'll agree that that is a wonderful thing.  

What I find extremely distressing however, is the lack of other people complaining about the issues I've mentioned.  Some people even seem to think they are ingenious (can't quite fathom that myself).  It makes me extremely worried that people who are obsessed with reproducing something very close to X-Wing (which I love, by the way) will manage to hijack Star Citizen.  What Chris Roberts has been promising us from day one is something quite different, although some people seem to ignore that fact.  Granted, the SC flight model has a LONG way to go, there will have to be many changes, but if people are so taken with Elite that I fear they may convince CIG to clone it, that for me that would be a tragedy.  I look forward to having two great games which play very differently from each other, even if I am dubious about some of their mechanics.

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)

I'm playing the premium beta, and have some mixed feelings abouti it. Hard to provide a judgement as a lot or functionalities are incomplete/absent though.

Trading looks hard, to sell your goods with some benefits you cannot consult system's demand from the galactic map, as it was the case with Frontier. You must travel randomly from places to places, hoping to find one where you can make some benefits by selling your goods. I dont know if it's because it's a beta or if it's a definitive design choice (or did I missed something ?)

Graphics and rendering are amazing. AMAZING (oooh, look at thoses shadows effects moving in my cockpit, as I pass by near this star)

I can notice some framerate disruption, always when approaching giant gas's ring.

I saw some strange behaviours with FTL travels. Sometimes I asked for a jump to another star system, but the game remain to in-system fast travel. After several attempts it finally works.

I'm not sure to be happy with the "star dreamer" concept removal. I know that it was mandatory to remove that for multiplayer...

I'm not sure to be happy with multiplayer in E:D in fact. I do not see much interest of it in a game as Elite. I hope developpers planned most interesting multiplayers interactions than "pew pew" lasers battles with some dudes from other places of earth...

I was surprised about how "arcadey" it feels (as in feeling very much like X-Wing).

Same for me

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

Trading looks hard, to sell your goods with some benefits you cannot consult system's demand from the galactic map, as it was the case with Frontier. You must travel randomly from places to places, hoping to find one where you can make some benefits by selling your goods.

It's interesting you  should say that.  I've been a little bit concerned from some of the videos I've seen that I don't see jam-packed UI screens.  EVE gets a lot of flack for it's being so "windowy" and having spreadsheets but the fact is that you just need a ton of UI business to make an Elite-type game really work.  If not, you either can't see the info you need, or the game is shallow too begin with.

I do get the general impression though that even a number of major features aren't implemented yet.  Anybody know if they've said anything more substantive about the subject?

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

I haven't dug too hard through their forums, they aren't very well organized.  From what I've seen, I'm a little dismayed about how few people are complaining.  Like I said, it is still a great game, maybe I should just be happy for once.  Oddly enough, I'm much more concerned about the influence the Elite flight model will have on other developers than the state of Elite itself.

ReplyQuote
NevilClavain
(@krakoukass)

do you guys post in the official Elite forums? Are there more people complaining about those issues? What has been the response of the staff? Are they listening to the fans? 

Official Elite Forums is'nt the right place to report or search answers about issues, as it looks like a complete mess. I have to open a ticket and submit it to the support; I have not yet done so, I admit it's bad    , I'll probably take time to do it this week. Pinback reported that the official support team is not very quick to respond though.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

I loiter on the E: D forum, and it ain't too bad. Mostly good people - and a few jerks, of course!

Recommended reading (if you ain't already): the DDF Archive (the proposals heading each thread).

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Official Elite Forums is'nt the right place to report or search answers about issues, as it looks like a complete mess. I have to open a ticket and submit it to the support; I have not yet done so, I admit it's bad    , I'll probably take time to do it this week. Pinback reported that the official support team is not very quick to respond though.

You might have better luck with your ticket if it's a game related issue, I still not revived any further response to my issue although I have added another note to it.

Going to wait till Friday, then I will make some sort of complaint about it if I have not had any response by then.

ReplyQuote
Straker
(@straker)
Senior Chief Registered

I'm PB and I currently play around 5 hours a week. I'm enjoying it so far but it's easy to get bored though. Yes there a lot of complaints on the frontiers forums but most are because people still haven't realised that ED (as it is) is a tech-demo with a few game mechanics thrown in for us to play around with. The standard beta, which should arrive at the end of this month, will be a game changer (with the introduction of fueling rates) so I'm expecting a lot more complaints from that day forward. Overall it's way too early to rate the game as there just is so much more that hasn't been added into the game yet (ie: missions), with each upcoming feature a possible game changer in it's own right.

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)

I've been playing a lot more in the last few weeks (just the single-player combat missions, I'm a standard beta).  It feels, NOTHING like your flying a spaceship, but once you get over the initial disappointment it really is quite good.  I still really do not like some of the choices that they made about the flight model, in some cases I think they gave up too easily and settled for solutions to perceived problems that are very far from ideal (I HATE the slow yaw rate, but many people LOVE it.).  Again, once you get past your frustrations it's quite fun, so I can't really complain about anything I've seen so far.

My real worry, which is perhaps irrational (I hope), is that devs for other games, particularly Star Citizen, will be sufficiently influenced by the success of Elite that they will copy them.  One thing I definitely do NOT want to see are the peculiarities of the Elite flight model (which, ok, can be perhaps charming) become standard for the new generation of space sims (in which case they would absolutely NOT be charming).  I get worried, because I know there are a lot of people on SC's forums who want just that.  If there is ever slow yaw in SC (as a universal aspect of the flight model, not just a specific ship) I will cry...  Whatever problems people think they are solving with that cannot be worth how ridiculous it is.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

The original Elite was pure pitch&roll - no yaw whatsoever! I'm very pleased that FD have returned to that great game's roots!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
SuperG
(@superg)
Senior Chief Registered

Well even not got a CC so even can not buy it yet if I want to.

I also wonder if I would like it. No experience with Elite series.

No retro gamer.

But I did play in the past lot air combat sims. I do not play them any more.

So I would not like it that much if space sim is planes in space.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

Personally I'm enjoying it a lot. Interestingly, the AI opponents are not cannon fodder... 😛

For a more detailed experience, well, the feeling of space is very good - the scope is indeed breathtaking and the galaxy map on the awesome side. Still quite a few things missing but the game development progress has been very good.

Also still some bugs to fix.

Soundwise is amazing.

ReplyQuote
Locke
(@locke)
Petty Officer Registered

I've played a pretty good amount of E:D.

My biggest issue with the game is that it's too much of a arcade game than anything more serious. With their touted 400 billion systems and saying it's a MMO on their sales site are utterly miss-leading. With every area of the game being instanced, it was nearly impossible to get a group of people playing together in the open world. The economy is nothing but useless items that you can't do anything with but repetitiously pick up in one station, take to a different station and drop off. 

Also, they are going to allow people to bring their "solo" play saves to the online world... So there is absolutely zero risk versus reward in the game. You can do anything important "offline" without fear of being interdicted by real people.

It's a shame they decided to make such a awesome engine, then ruin it with features that you can find in games from the 80s and 90s. I understand the nostalgia that some users may have for those old games, but damn - it could be so much more.

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

... they are going to allow people to bring their "solo" play saves to the online world... So there is absolutely zero risk versus reward in the game. You can do anything important "offline" without fear of being interdicted by real people.

That's a little misleading - an offline character cannot switch to online mode.  An online solo character can switch between online modes, yes! You say 'zero risk' too - that ain't necessarily so, amigo! This is not a PvP-oriented game anyway - PvP is only one facet of it!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Locke
(@locke)
Petty Officer Registered

That's a little misleading - an offline character cannot switch to online mode.  An online solo character can switch between online modes, yes! You say 'zero risk' too - that ain't necessarily so, amigo! This is not a PvP-oriented game anyway - PvP is only one facet of it!

The only difference in off network solo, and online solo play is that the market data is updated with that of the open world. What I mean by zero risk versus reward is that you can avoid playing with other people to accomplish anything then go to the open world with whatever that accomplishment reaps. NPCs are predictable and can't be considered a true risk. Basically a built-in cheat mode.

I understand a lot of people want that... I don't know why though. With no true risk vs reward mechanics, I can't see a reason to spend time accomplishing anything in the game.

Just my opinion....

ReplyQuote
Ambrosius
(@ambrosius)
Senior Chief Registered

I agree completely, Locke.  What a missed opportunity.  What a shame.

ReplyQuote
Pyros
(@pyros)
Master Chief Registered

I actually disagree, simply because in Elite universe players are but a small fraction of the agents. PVP will be possible - even easy to achieve - between players that are so inclined. But the vastness of the universe also implies that if  a player chooses so, he will be able to mostly avoid other players even in public online mode. 

Like Cody said, this is not a PVP focused game - fortunately so, as there are plenty of games doing so and the currently most successful space game (albeit from a different type than ED) is also basically PVP. Although I believe that PVPers will be able to have their challenges and fun in ED, from the start it was set that players not interested in PVPing will not be forcibly engaged in it. That said, it doesn't mean they will have an easy life - to all, NPCs will be the most significant opponents and some of them are quite capable.If it is statistically proven that PVE mode is easier than PVP mode, I guess that FD can balance it.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised that most of the players went for open online playing, as long as the environment is positive (occasional PVP, coop playing,...).

What Elite is not is  a sort of 3D version of Eve. 

Two small ending notes:

-the true "risk mode" in the game is ironman mode. 1 life.

-This is oddly reminiscent of the PVE to PVP server transfer debate in WOW...

ReplyQuote