Notifications
Clear all

system requirements

Shadowma45
(@shadowma45)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hi I am already a star citizen backer & was interested in Elite Dangerous but was curious as to what kind of system requirements were being required?

Fyi I did look around on their site but to no avail, thanks in advance for any info.

Shadowma

ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

Directly from the website

Minimum recommended hardware specification:

• Direct X 11
  • Quad Core CPU (4 x 2Ghz is a reasonable minimum)
  • 2 GB System RAM (more is always better)
  • DX 10 hardware GPU with 1GB video ram
  • Internet connection

This is for the alpha at least.

Well, for me it is showing the urgency of getting a new CPU.  Unfortunately with AMD CPU's being somewhat of a bad joke there really isn't much choice in the market, and won't be for the foreseeable future.  It'll be the 8-core Haswell-E for me, really isn't much choice for a performance CPU, unfortunately it'll be $600.  With that it's looking like a $2k build come fall.  Sigh, it is so much more difficult now that I've had to buy a car.  Oh well, at least if I can't afford it I'll probably be able to buy a GTX880 rather than an 870, but with my increasingly ancient Nalhalem 1.6GHz I fear it will be like putting a turbocharger in a Mini Cooper (I think they actually do that...).

By the way, I have no doubt that SC will melt absolutely every piece of hardware that has the misfortune to run it, so if you think there is a snowball's chance in hell you'll be able to run SC, I have no doubt you will run Elite with no trouble at all.

ReplyQuote
Shadowma45
(@shadowma45)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Yeah Iam in the me too category as in I have to get a upgrade as well- currently running windows 7 with a amd athlon IIx4 640 processor with 4.00 gb ram with a ge force gtx 760 I spoke to sales guy in micro center that plays space sims & he indicated at least a $300 to $400 cpu upgrade & maybe a new mother board & another $300 for that & thats just be able to upgrade my card to ge force gtx 780ti (another $700 to $800)as they dont make the titans anymore , but in short I feel your pain. But thanks for the info & good luck to us all.

Shadowma

ReplyQuote
ExpandingMan
(@expandingman)
Warrant Officer Registered

Yeah, it's frustrating, but I guess it's been a long time since most people did a major upgrade because the market is so slow to develop everywhere except on the GPU front.

Your gtx 760, however, may hold up better than you think.  I still have an old gtx 570 and it holds up surprisingly well.  In my opinion there isn't much sense in going past the 70 grade, so I'd much rather wait for 870 than go 780 or anything like that.  The fact that the cards refresh anually is too frustrating for me to spend more than $500 on a card.  The titan and the new 780ti are a bit silly, in my opinion, since you can almost buy 2 of the 70's for it's price.  Granted, it is better in most applications to have a better single GPU, as opposed to two in parallel, however, for most of the applications you'd be looking at using such a card for you'd need the parallelization more.

For anybody buying a new CPU though I strongly suggest you get rid of AMD, even if you go for an "inferior" (on paper) Intel chip.  I have no affiliation with Intel and I would very much like having an alternative to them, however if you look at the benchmakrs the AMD's are simply abysmal.  They may be 8-core and have a ridiculous clock frequency, but they execute so few instructions per cycle that their performance is inferior to much older Intels.  I have a friend who recently bought an AMD, being seduced by the clock speed, 8 cores and low price.  Unfortunately, though I had heard things, I was not aware of quite how bad they were until after the fact.  There is a reason they are so cheap.

I guess the cheapest way to go right now would be to wait until fall for the 6-core Haswell-E which will only be $400 (likely similar performance to the chips out now, but essentially with a $200 price drop).  It might be possible to get a $200 motherboard with the new socket if you really want to go cheap.  It would still probably be perfectly fine unless you want to run SLI.  The really scary thing right now (but ironically one of the main reasons I'm waiting for Haswell-E) is that they will finally support DDR4, and RAM prices right now are absolutely INSANE.  I'm rather horrified to think about how much it will cost for just 8 GB of a moderate speed DDR4.  I have tentatively budgeted $200 for it, but I fear it will not be enough.

ReplyQuote
Shadowma45
(@shadowma45)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Yes I figure about $1300 to 1500 total for cpu mother board & vid card, iam on a fixed budget so thats about all I can do but hopefully it will be enough.

Was kind of hoping maybe prices would drop some in the next 3 to 4 months, was also thinking of trying to sell my old 760 afterwards if i could but I guess

we will see. Yeah I have heard about a lot of people running dual vid cards thats why I wanted to get a good cpu ,you know one vid card this year (780ti) & another one 

next year, well hears to planning for the worst & hoping for the best. Thanks again.

Shadowma

ReplyQuote
Shadowma45
(@shadowma45)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Just looked everything up for upgrade -processor core I7 4770k 3.5ghz socket lga 1150 $300 & mother board lga 1150 z87 atx $300 & finally ge force gtx 780ti $700 so looks like

it was about what I thought , but like I said hope price may come down.

ReplyQuote
SuperG
(@superg)
Senior Chief Registered

I go for a

AMD FX8350 with max out ram and R9-290X custom.

Replacing P2 X4 965 with 8GB and 5870 wich still runs games just fine but not in high settings.

My i920 12GB GTX580 runs fine as well it could benefit from a 780 ish. But could wait for maxwell high- end 880

Lots of games are more GPU depending. So often een upperclass midrange wil do. Unless you go for SLI or xf duo or trio high-end gfx cards.

Altho I expect this more one of those cpu using games. But then again they aim or mainstream crowd so they can't service only the highend cpu power user.

Also I got this impressionnthat lot of those old Elite fans arent gamers any more. And E: D is game that get them back to gaming again. But as currently non gamers they don't have a game rig. Or a acient one.

My rigs are not up to date but a bit old high- end but still up to the task.

I als think those 2 decades missing sequels. But also a much powerfull mainstream then in those acient days. Means they have a lot more work to do and lot morevfeatures are posible and older features could be implemented at much larger scale and depth and complexity. Normaly sequels in a row of intervals of a few hears the games evolve. Now you get a huge leap from the past in this current teraflop times. With lots of mem aviable.

Also lokin out for UHD gaming that the future or now 1440P or 1600P

QHD is the current highend but we go to UHD that QFHD 2160P or 4K

ReplyQuote
Shadowma45
(@shadowma45)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Yeah decided to change up to I7 4930k 3.4 ghz lga2011 for cpu & update to high end mother board maybe a asus sabertooth x79 socket 2011 intel motherboard.

A extra $400 total but hopefully wont have to worry about it for a couple of years. Big decision is weather to go with ge force gtx 790 or wait for gtx 800 series (800 series would be a 6 to 8 month wait from what I hear).

I am trying to get my system ready for ED & Star Citizen & want to play them at the highest res possible.

Shadowma

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Playing both on an I7 at 4GHz OC. Had a AMD 7970 got 30fps on ED mega battle at 2560x1440. 780 titan now does 60fps. SC Hangar could not run well 15fps at high or 2560 on 7970, the 780 copes with high and 2560 and about 40fps. ED Looks the much more optimised code base at the moment.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

ReplyQuote
grondilu
(@grondilu)
Crewman Registered

What's

Unfortunately with AMD CPU's being somewhat of a bad joke there really isn't much choice in the market, 

What's wrong with AMD CPU?

Also, can I ask  you guys your opinion about this laptop?   http://imgur.com/a/H6Osj

I would have thought it'd be OK for ED but after reading you I'm not so sure.

ReplyQuote
mmr10000
(@mmr10000)
Crewman Registered

Hello!

Doesn anyone know about Mac version requirements.

I have a Mac Book Pro 17"

i7 2,2GHz

4Gb 1333 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 Mt

SSD drive

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Not specifically, but your onboard graphics will most probably not run the game - it won't run the Windows release, so I read.

The CPU needs to be a true quad-core too (which I presume yours is) - and welcome to SSC, amigo!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
mmr10000
(@mmr10000)
Crewman Registered

Thanks, so I presume you meant also the forthcoming mac version of game too?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I wouldn't say AMD cpus are a joke, because they are decent if you buy their high end stuff and I have been using them for over 10yrs now and I wouldn't be if I couldn't game with them. I know running the SC Hanger demo on my A10-7850k with Dual Mode R7 250 is almost laughable, it is playable but I am playing with no one and there is no action. Once that happens it becomes non-usable. I know I will have to wait to buy a new gfx solution to play SC or ED at high resoltions and with settings up. I have a birthday in june so that should be a nice present 🙂

I think what most people forget is that your system memory does matter, 8GB will probably be a minimum amount you will need to have to truly have a enjoyable experience with either ED or SC, because you need to run windows 8.x to play with all the DX11.1-11.2 features and windows uses memory and if you have 4GB that doesn't give much for gaming. I know DX12 and Mantle are trying to reduce this overhead in games but we will see.

ReplyQuote