Notifications
Clear all

Is it worth it, or its just a hype?

Grimm
(@grimm)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I decided to give EVE a try. Currently i'am downloading the 14-days trial to check the gameplay.

But whats with long term motivation? Is it worth playing EVE over months or its just fun a few weeks and thats it? I mean EVE seems to be one of the famost and most popular sci-fi mmorpgs, but don't know if this means anything(World of Warcraft is also very popular but i think its one of the most boring games ever prodced 😆 )

So is any of you spacecimcentral veterans playing EVE for a longer time? You think this game is worth the nearly 15 euros a month? Do i have to grind(bash thousands of enemies to gain levels)? Cause i hate grinding in mmorpgs, thats why most of them are extremly boring to me 😉

Whats the pro's and con's of the game?

I ask this because i know that a 14 days trial will not show me the full gameplay an possibilitys.

ps: my apologies for my bad english, my native language is german and i need much more practice in english especially in written english.

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I have never actually subscribed to EVE but I have played the two week trial period and that is the reason I don't play it because it didn't grab my interest in that two weeks. It probably took me a week just to get used to the interface, but I admit I did like some of their ideas when I played. Being able to train your skills 24/7 is good, but I could see it being bad as well because it could take a hell of a long time to level them up at higher stages.

I wasn't bother to much in my newb area but you did have the feeling that you were a small pebble in a ocean and that attaining anything significant would definitely take dedication and time. Because I think the economy is a bit bloated. The visuals are great but I wish flying and combat was a bit quicker, little slow for my liking.

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

I played Eve for about 6 months I reckon, it has a lot of interesting ideas in there.

But at the end of the day, it is just a stats based point and click game.

I think the most fun I had in the game was stealing from silly miners 😈

ReplyQuote
saint667
(@saint667)
Crewman Registered

i played eve for about 5 years. there were a few reasons for quitting the major one being that i had a lot of spare time while being at uni, now i am working so i don't find time to play eve (which is quite demanding on Real life commitments).

u should give it a try u may enjoy it, but another reason for quitting was that the game was getting boring as i couldn't enjoy solo or small gang pirating anymore. the game has too many subscribers now and one unsharded world, so it means there are a lot of blobs.

if u have a lot of free time (a student, retired or not working for some other reason), and patience for slow skill training then do give it a try. Once u start making ingame money u don't have to pay with ur real $$ss anymore as u have the option to buy game time codes from other players for ingame money (those other players obviously take the game too seriously and pay for time codes with their real money in order to buy virtual money 🙂 )

hope that helps.

ReplyQuote
Grimm
(@grimm)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you for your impressions. I tried the game a few days and i can say now that i will not use the full 2 weeks trial time because i know now that this game is nothing for me.

The point-click-forget battle system is exreeeeemly boring and very slow. I knew that i can't use my own skills to pilot the ship, but i never thought that it is so dissapointing. The skill system itself is pretty good. I like it especially because you don't have to grind 1000 of mindless minions. But this alone is not enough. The world is pretty big and well designend, the same is with the background story. For my taste this is not enough to pay 15 euros every month. Really challinging missions and a real combat system would do wonders.

This style of gaming does'nt suits me. I still keep dreaming of a privateer online 🙂

ReplyQuote
Dem
 Dem
(@dem)
Petty Officer Registered

welp had to activate my 2 accounts to play again-just been mission mining in high sec-anyone on ssc playing?

ReplyQuote
TranZen
(@tranzen)
Petty Officer Registered

I tried the trial time and enjoyed the experience, the 'feel' of the game and UI is wonderful just as the future promises, everything clear, sterile and precise. Unfortunately for me the point-click-forget battle system and not having WASD movement was a real disappointment I like to use my own skills piloting the ship.

The good news is I found what I was looking for, a real combat system and controls, challenging missions everything including the same look and feel. The new MMO is Perpetuum it's currently in Open Beta and is free to sign up.

ReplyQuote