Clear all

Fairspace July 14th Update

bobalot
(@bobalot)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

Fairspace has been updated:-

Quests no longer appear as annoying popups when docked, Instead they appear on your available jobs list.

The whole interface has been updated and standardised, Users can no longer choose a colour scheme.  The hud has been updated again, Feedback will dictate the future direction for this.

A Database explorer that allows you to compare ships and equipment that have been seen around the universe.

[attachment=2074:T17739.png]

Space stations can now be purchased from planet if you have enough cash.

[attachment=2075:T18785.png]

Stations appear transparent when on free look to give you a better chance at targeting and seeing the action.

Bobalot

auryx
(@auryx)
Warrant Officer Registered

Not sure why I haven't spotted this game before, but it looks really interesting - will download it later or tomorrow and give it a go! Thanks for your hard work.

auryx

You look good through a crosshair.

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)

First question 🙂 Is there a way to stop the camera zooming around the outside of my ship when docked, and just keep it still? It's making me a bit seasick :-S

Thanks!

auryx

ReplyQuote
bobalot
(@bobalot)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

I will add this as an option on the next release,  Thanks for trying the game out.

Regards

Bobalot

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)

Thanks Bobalot, much appreciated. Yes I'll continue to try it out. Haven't got very far yet but pretty impressed!

auryx

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)

Been playing for a couple more hours now, continue to be impressed. How on Earth have you managed to code a whole MMORPG single-handedly, amazing! To everyone reading who hasn't tried Fairspace, DO IT 🙂

One more question Bobalot - I took a mission but then got blown up before I got to the waypoint 🙂 I've re-spawned, the waypoint is still there on my map and in space, but the mission has disappeared from my Status. I don't seem to be able to get rid of the waypoint, and can't set a destination in the map or hyperspace to anything else.

Is there a "remove waypoint" key? Am I missing something obvious?

Other than that, will keep playing! Only Level 4 so far 🙂

auryx

ReplyQuote
bobalot
(@bobalot)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks auryx.

The waypoint issue sounds like a bug, I will add it to the list and get it fixed.  It would help if you could tell me your player name so that I can check the logs and see which particular mission caused the problem.

Regards

Bobalot

ReplyQuote
auryx
(@auryx)

Thanks Bobalot - character name is Electromancer (if I remember correctly! will check later).

auryx

ReplyQuote
Semtex4ya
(@semtex4ya)
Crewman Registered

Hey it is me again! I just wanted to point out a few things while playing.

The new ship sizes:

-The camera now clips through the larger ships and some fighters.

-The planets buildings now look too small. Example being the the buildings that look like hangers are way too small even for the fighters. I suggest scaling them up to match the new ship sizes.

Commodities:

-The buy/sell cargo slider glitches out every now and then, causing some crazy results. Sometimes it will just show the icon of the first item on the list of commodities and when you click buy/sell it button nothing happens. Normally to fix this all you have to do is re-click the item you want and it will refresh and act normal again. But this time there was no item icon just a white square with a sell option. Now my ship's cargo hold is empty but yet it letting me sell. So I look at it some more and the numbers are ridiculously high. For a max load of what ever this is would sell for over 18,000,000,000,000,000! Now if you move the slider down a bit the price drops to around 200,000,000. Drop it more and it spikes back up to 18,000,000,000,000,000. Now I moved the slider to the max and click the sell button and nothing happens like usual (so I thought). So I go to upgrade the power on my ship and I notice I don’t have 10 bill anymore, at first I thought “oh that's because I upgraded the power last time and it cost a lot.” but then I looked closer. I had around 10,016,000,000 credits, military power upgrades cost around 25~31 million credits. That would only take my money down to around 9,987,000,000. My money was down to 9,325,710,980, so where did the other 661,289,020 go? I haven't bought anything that expensive so I’m assuming that glitch took it (Not 100% sure on this.). I made it all back and then some with my trade ship but it is something to look out for.

-Suggestion: could you make a fill all cargo bay button? I tend to use only one commodity when using my trade ship. And clicking the commodity then sliding the slider to max then clicking buy then having to repeat the process gets tiring. The other option is making it so that the buy screen doesn’t close after each sale, allowing you to button mash the button, buying the same amount.

A.I.

Need to learn not to kamikaze the planets. The explosions are nice though and so are the items =P

EDIT: Space Stations are also suffering from the same bug that trade ships were suffering from awhile ago where the cargo bay wouldn't fill up all the way but if you keep buying then you dont get anything but you money goes away just like you bought something. Example, i stuffed my space station with those 30% (30%? somthing 30 can't remember) Cargo Condencer things and started to fill the ship with commodities to sell and make massive profit (Trillionare here i come, =P not really) but i notice it would stop loading less than half way. You can still buy the commodities it just will take your money and give you nothing in return.

ReplyQuote
bobalot
(@bobalot)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

All the planet surfaces are being redone through a new terrain rendering system, This will make them look much prettier. I'm going increase the range of building and class of building on the planets.  Whilst im waiting to finish writing this I will scale things up temporarily for this week ends update.

I will investigate the cargo slider but and sell screen, I've done extensive testing so im unsure what this could be,  if you could let me know how big your cargo bay is it may help me in testing.

I will add a fill cargo button as you request, no problem.

AI is under review and I will give them a few more brain cells.

Stations cargo,  This definitely sounds like a capacity issue, let me know the size of the cargo bay so that I can test further.  I should spend some time and figure out the maximum cap for it.  I may have to reduce the scale of the Cargo Condensers.

have you tried any of the derelict ship missions in the clouds, These are available at planets that surround the clouds, You can get tech units and weapons that are not available for purchase anywhere.

As always I value the feedback semtex,  I don't know if you've noticed but the space stations names are pretty rubbish.  If you could think of any names that would fit I would appreciate it. I'm also looking for More Laser based weapon names for the stations.

Stations are currently overpowered, I will be scaling that back over the weekend.

I have also recently discovered that I made a mistake early in development, I thought I could only use 4 textures in a shader at the same time. It turns out I can safely go to 16, This is hopefully going to allow me to create a boost in the both the rendering quality and the post processing effects.

Regards

Bobalot

ReplyQuote
Semtex4ya
(@semtex4ya)
Crewman Registered

Cargo Capacity:

My Trader' standard cargo = 93,955

My Space station's Standard cargo = 587,218

Same Trader + 8, 30x Condensers = 766,412

Same station + 6, 30x Condensers = 2,834,385

Stops loading with 1,834,385 free space left. Which means a max capasity of 1,000,020 give or take 20.

Station Laser/weapon names:

• Dark Ion Cannon

• Hyperion Cannon

• Particle Beam

• Gamma Ray

• Omega Beam

• Plasma Cannon

• Mulciber Wave

• Hosha Cannon

• Reza Wave

• Pulsar Ray

• Photon Beam

• The Ionizer

• O.P.L.O.D. (Overpowered Pink Laser Of Doom)

Space Station Names:

space station number/ new name

1/ Cuspis

2/ Aedis

3/ Aroris

4/ Aroris Mk2

5/ Balzon

6/

7/ Gemini

8/ Uncus

9/ Uncus Mk2

10/ Virgo

110/

12/

13/

14/

15/ The Ark

16/

17/

18/

You know maybe numbers for space station names is ok. Because I’m having a hard time thinking up original names (Most of these ones are Latin words that match the look of the ship or constellation names).

Also going back to what Aurix said about "remove waypoint" key, there needs to be a way to deselect all targets, combat, docking, loot, and jump waypoints. The current one only deselects only the Jump waypoint. While i have been playing as a space station sometimes after i blown up an enemy ship(s), the target switches to a friendly and bad things happen (they go boom). It would make things easyer if i could press a key and nothing would be selected to avoid further... accidents......

ReplyQuote
bobalot
(@bobalot)
Senior Chief Registered
Topic starter  

I've fixed the cargo issue and added the extra button for filling the cargo bay.

I'm working through the waypoint system now and will implement the clear button to clear anything selected.

Station lasers have now been reduced and are distance based, The further out the enemy the less damage.

I've added help buttons all over the interface to help people learn to play, Tutorials are next up.

I've also realised that the sol command stations I added don't actually appear anywhere, They are now mapped.

An updated release will be out during tomorrow, after I've done a bit more testing.

regards

bobalot

ReplyQuote