Notifications
Clear all

I use crypto.com app personally on a daily basis and its great and takes the stress out of learning crypto and the crypto debit cards are great, ask me anything on this. I will probably make a thread discussing crypto soon. REFERRAL CODE = p5mu64hcq4

Dev News

Page 13 / 14

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

It has been a while since I loaded up Far Colony (sorry), what plans or ideas do you have for the planetary exploration system (PES)?

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

Here is the full plan until 1.0, I made a mass cleanup of my future todolist:

[info] The Future of the Development of FAR Colony (Updated List)

Here is an updated, and I think final (yep, for the #nth time) todo-list toward the beta 1.0.

• Alpha 10 / 0.6.19:
    • Research & Development System: tech trees full completion + products’ Development Levels integration.
    • Socio-Political Matrix: full fixes and completion of the system.
    • Colony Simualtion Model: completion, and end game: full outcomes @ this stage of the game and finalization.
  • Alpha 10 / 0.6.20:   (Last Alpha 10)
    • Population: full expansion; multiracial populations (humans, clones and AIs – all is already implemented at the data level) into the CSM, SPM, and Population Growth System. + full updates for the (totally outdated) user’s interface.
    • Settlements: implementation of the expansion 2.0 (already in design): four types (Populated Settlement, Automated Settlement, Industrial Zone, Military Area). Surface, underground and so on pass as a Presence data.
    • Region Control: rules 2.0 – full implementation.
  • Alpha 11:
    • Space units: full implementation of their design + SPU Designer + Missions (full completion of existing ones + new ones) + Semi-Automation of Missions + space units construction + removal of hardcoded parts. The hardcoded space units currently in the game will be removed and properly designed too.
      This part seems big, but I nearly made it in a previous failed generation of FARC. So many parts of the code will be ported and fully corrected.
  • Alpha 12:
    • Research & Development System (RDS): full implementation of the system itself.
  • Alpha 13: (one of the biggest version in terms of work to do)
    • Faction Decision Engine: basically the AI engine that will drive the non-player’s factions of the game, including the Colonies Automated Management (or CAM) subsystem + physical integration of the factions in the game)
    • Global Communications System: the dynamic “fog-of-war” system, that will be present at any stage of a game.
    • Universal Combat System: space engagement and combat, orbital support, and airland combat via offensives.
  • Alpha 14:
    • Game events + scripted historical/background events.
  • Alpha 15:
    • Biospheres: the fauna and flora of an orbital object, if this one supports it, will be implemented. Including all the consequences that can ensue from it.
  • Alpha 16:
    • Memetic engineering / war System: the system that will allow the player / AI to influence the adoption/rejection of memes in their own faction, or in a foreign one.
  • Alpha 17:
    • Economic / trading system.
  • Alpha 18: (Last Alpha, FARC will enter into Beta stage at the release of this one and will be 1.0)
    • Foreign relations system.

I think this list is definitive, I don’t see anyway how it could change. Only the systems’ names are subject to change, out of the GLOCS, UCS, FADE and RDS.

I know that’s a long way, even if the time to implement all this will be pretty variable since the design of many of these systems is already, for a good part, in my documents.
But it’s my goal, as crazy and useless as it sounds, and since I started it I cannot stop here now.

I developping FARC for the fun of it, and eventually sharing it to people interested, nothing else. 🙂

Anyway, back to this second faction; I working to add words for names generation (which is not useful for game purpose, but is necessary for background purposes) and I will add one type of expedition and one backstory afterward.

Once all the factions are done, I will work to add seven star/planetary systems in the game.

That’s all, have a good Sunday and a great week!

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sscadmin

It has been a while since I loaded up Far Colony (sorry), what plans or ideas do you have for the planetary exploration system (PES)?

I made a pretty long post, explaining the PES but lost it all due to forum/login data error... Anyway I will try to copy/paste some infos from the doc then.

It's OK for FARC, since it is heavily in development and changes every time, you don't lose much. 🙂

OK now some copy/paste from the doc, if you have another questions I will answer them.

For design reasons, these orbital objects aren't generated at each new game since I use a third party software to generate the custom surface maps of telluric planets. Also the background history of the game will requires specific places in the universe in future developments.

Outside of their inherent data generated through the FUG, there are also 4 dynamic elements in the game that brings variations and uncertainties; there are 3 types of data that are generated dynamically and there is also a specific system, the Weather and Geophysical System (WEAGES), that manages directly the seasonal changes, and the weather / geophysical effects that can happen on a planet.

The 3 types of data that are generated dynamically are the resource spots, the features & artifacts, and the biosphere.

These data can be discovered through the Planetary Exploration System and, for some of the features, discovered through the WEAGES' effects.

Because actually, the PES is only integrated for the resource spots, but it has be planned for the three dynamic data described above.

Features and artifacts are special components, that can be found in the regions on any orbital object, that aren't included in the basic data but generated when a new game is processed.

So, basically, these features add custom "flavors" to an orbital object, and of course they have a certain range of effects in the game relative to their nature. And the basic implementation of them will start from the current dev version.

Here are a few examples of them: Active / Extinct Volcanoes (that can trigger a Volcanic Activity geophysical effect, and even a Earthquake), Abrasive Dust, Canyons and Lava Tubes (where a settlement can be set in), Sulfuric Acid Lake/Ocean, and so on...Outside of them, some more exotic features like Visual / Electromagnetic Anomaly, or Unusual Material can also exists 🙂

And finally the biosphere:

In FARC there are 5 different types of biosphere: carbon-based, silicon-based, ammonia-based, methane-based and sulphur dioxide-based.

There are two basic data that defines a biosphere; the Biosphere Level (BIOL) and the Biosphere Vigor (BIVI). Their generation is detailed in the section 3.5.6 of the FUG.

The biosphere concern any living system, fauna and flora, on an orbital object.

It is in two parts:

- the first one concern its basic data, that is generated into the process in the FUG and detailed in the 3.5.6 section.

- the second one concern the details about the life currently present, on and in an orbital object, with full details about the flora and fauna. It is generated during a game and all its rules are in this entire chapter.

So yes. Actually there are two data to define the biosphere of a planet (if one is present).

The BIOL text is a bit outdated, because this data also indicate the type of biochemistry present on the planet.In clear term, the fauna and flora will (from the Alpha 15) be also generated during a game, either through planetary exploration (which will be global, instead to be regionally based like for the resource spots and the features) and also during certain events, like a viral and/or predatory attack of a colony by the local population.

There are 5 possible types of biospheres, and here's the list from the easier one to the most difficult one (in probabilistic terms): carbon-based, sulphur dioxide-based, ammonia-based, methane-based, and silicon-based.

There are 7 evolution stages: none, fossils, prebiotics, micro-organisms, Level I to III organism (varies greatly depending on the type of biochemistry).
An additional flag will be added to indicate the presence of sentient evolution.

So that's it, without entering into too much details 🙂

This post was modified 2 years ago 5 times by farcodev

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

I renammed it in Earth United Space Nations (EUSPAN), it sounds more English than my frenchglish 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

🙂 Thanks Farcodev for the breakdown. I am sure it will be some effort to design a tutorial system that helps new players grasp the depth of your game and features. I like the depth though so hopefully other gamer feedback doesn't alter your vision of FARC.

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

Yes it will be an effort, but I will not doing anything in this domain until FARC reaches 1.0beta, since the upcoming additions and expansions are heavy.

For the feedbacks, I don't have one outside of rare but appreciated cheers about the project. But anyway I continue my own way so it is OK.

I also don't do anything to have a community around this game, and so I haven't set any specific discussion forums on my website. The thing is I'm not really driven on the social side, and I don't want to see endless theorycrafting about the game, like those I see in the specific forums of other projects.

I know that all of this (added to the humongous development time) certainly kills the interest into the project, but anyway I prefer to try to reach the 1.0 instead to talk about it around (excepted on my website and here on this forum). I have between 2 and 14 read by blog post, so it's not stellar but that could be worse 🙂

This post was modified 2 years ago 7 times by farcodev

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

Just a post (just for SSC forums) about the history and society of the two new factions integrated in this version. It's not top notch English but I hope it is clear enough; I made it more like a dry technical/encylopedia document than a scifi story book. For information, the quoted text will be fully in the Knowledge Base, before I release the current version.
So here is my superb style 🙂

North American Coalition (NORAC)

*History

NORAC is an alliance of several countries initiated by the United States (US) and includes Canada, Alaska, United Kingdom, Panama, Mexico, Ecuador, and Brazil.

It was formed in 2021, a few years after the US withdrew from the United Nations (UN), with the aim of facing the Chinese expansion in space and also to allow the US government to alleviate its spending on space projects.

Since exploration and especially human colonization in space have become a real political and economic priority since the 2020s to 2030s, the resulting costs have increased tenfold.

Japan, although not officially part of the Coalition, provides robotic and personal equipment in support of US space programs.

*Society

The base of the Coalition's societies is centered on the individual as a consumer and productive member of society.

A social-Marxist system is applied above this base which contains the following two points; obligatory application of every individual to a social system of classification and notation, as well as to a eugenic classification.

Each individual is thus classified in a point system from 0 to 1000 and indicates the level of compliance with the laws, as well as the behavioral and ideological norms allowed in the Coalition.

The eugenic classification has been put in place since it is possible to genetically modify the human fetuses before term and birth of the child, in order to remove a maximum of natural genetic defects that could negatively influence the future life of the person.
According to the parents' portfolio, it is also possible to make improvements to the future child: artistic skill, exceptional physical abilities, etc .... creating a kind of upper class dedicated to great destinies within NORAC. These represent the elite and can access various high positions.

There are two classifications that stratify the population:

• The proletarian class corresponds to the inhabitants having an unmodified genetic pattern that were conceived quite naturally. People in this class are considered second-class citizens with sometimes expeditious treatment by the authorities.

Within this class are 2 categories:

• the inapt, who have some defects and genetic diseases in their pattern. This category represents that of the system excluded.
    • the regulars, who have a pattern 'normal' (without genetic disease or important defects, it corresponds to a person of the 20th century in good health) with its qualities but also its defects. These people are dedicated throughout their lives to perform mediocre tasks (cleaning, garbage sorting, miscellaneous work) and are not better considered than the inapt.
  • The class of citizens corresponds to those whose genetic pattern was modified before birth when they were still embryos. Unlike proletarians, they have the right to vote.

Of course, all members of these two classes, without exception, must comply with the classification system and social rating described above.

Mexico and Ecuador are two specific cases that have not ratified the systematic eugenic classification, although it is also possible to modify a human fetus. Nevertheless, if an individual from these two countries wants to access certain positions in NORAC, it must in any case comply with this classification, otherwise it will be rejected.

Outside of eugenics, transhumanism and cybernetics are adopted in societies of any member States. These technologies can, in very rare cases, change an individual's eugenic class, which also depends on the social classification of the individual.

The languages spoken are English and Spanish, sometimes with a mixture of Sino-European imports.

=====

Earth United Space Nations (EUSPAN)

*History

The EUSPAN has seen the light of the day after the collapse of the U.N.

India has risen in power since early 21st century with its space program, and became one another major actor on the space market.

Under pressure of some visionaries and other elites in this country, India established the basis of a new organization, in close cooperation with Russia, as a joint-effort in space program to:

• put some regulatory actions in space, and not only by useless laws, at least in Earth-Moon area.
  • give access to space to non space-able countries located in Africa, South America and Asia.
  • put a weight in balance of powers in space against NORAC, PRC and EU.
  • continue to expand the aerospace capabilities of India itself.

The organization of the EUSPAN is articulated around a cyberdemocracy where the executive power is concentrated in one central of operation (COP) based in New Delhi, India.

Even if Russia is one major partner, this country only provides support in term of financing and manpower, due to the fact it also acts as its own space power through the Russian Federation. The country tries at best to not enter into direct conflicts of interests with the EUSPAN, and so it is why it tends to avoid any operations and expansion directly in the so called Earth Sphere (the Earth, the Moon and an abstracted sphere extending a bit beyond the Lagrangian points).

Technology and equipment support are assured by India, Japan, South Africa, Egypt, Nigeria, Kenya, Botswana, Chile, and Argentina.

The main financing comes from Russia, India, South Africa, Egypt, Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana, Rwanda, Botswana, Angola, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Libya, Algeria, Gabon, Namibia, Chile, and Argentina.

The manpower, for crews, security, and public relations/administration, are assured by all of the member countries cited above.

*Society

Due to its diverse nature of the countries involved into this organisation, it is pretty difficult to give a standard model of society of it.

But a set of common international laws is applied in each members, and serves as a cohesive framework.

Outside of that, due to the economic fallout of the EUSPAN on its members States, where all the benefits of space are shared on a principle of equal proportion relative to the investments from each countries, the standard of living is pretty high on an average.

The population of each country obviously uses of their national languages, but inside the EUSPAN English is used as a common and technical way of communication.

The naming of space units and colonies use mainly Hindi, Russian, Japanese, Arab, and Swahili words. Sometimes all are blended together.

There are many more info and data for each faction in the design document, but at least it is an excerpt.

Yes, any element of background can be important since they shape the type of expedition and backstories that will be available to the player.
The setting of the socio-political matrix of each faction is also heavily dependent on what I make in the background in terms of society and how they look certain technologies like space colonization, AIs, Bioroids and biotechnologies.
Finally, with the future Foreign Relation System and the AI of the game, this background will affect them too. I setting up a "matrix" of relationship between the factions at the start of the game, and the game systems will reflect that.

The background of FARC deviates to the real world from about 2012, it's not an utopia human world; many Earth factions are in cold and economical war with each other at the start of the game, and none is bad/evil or good, all work for their own interest, as usual...

I finishing the EUSPAN today (viva holydays!), and I will start tonight the third one tonight; the People's Republic of China (PRC).

After that I have the Russian Federation, the European Union, and the two extrasolar factions I have to add too: the Berngham's Community and the Neo-Believers Federation.

None of the three extrasolar factions in the game looks like any of the Earthling faction. And none of these young extrasolar faction looks like the same with each other, they are pretty different in many levels.
As usual I don't reinvent the wheel, I taking data and information from many sources.

Anyway... work work work 🙂

This post was modified 2 years ago 7 times by farcodev

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Nice write-up Farcodev, it explains a lot and you made it interesting to read as well. It helps to know this background so you can understand really the motivations of each faction. I hope this rich narrative you have here is definitely in the game and the player has to absorb it a little to understand the game. So many games forget the storyline these days. 👍

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@sscadmin

It comes as little surprise to me D1 as Farcodev has always shown, it's all about the details. Lots of little things many players might miss or skip, but put together it adds up to a very big thing indeed. 😉 

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

@sscadmin:

Yep, especially since the background is pretty linked to the types of expeditions and their possible backstories.
The narrative is actually present in the game via the backstories, and it defines the difficulties for full independence in the 3 types of status (social, economical, and Space & Military), the starting line of credit (if any), the starting equipment (not relevant for now until the space units are fully implemented in the alpha 11), and also certain special rules that can affect any part of the gameplay (starting location, objectives, research & development and so on...).
There are a few of them already in the game but the possibilities are virtually limitless.

The narrative also shapes the socio-political matrix setting of each faction, but I need to add a good amount of policies and memes to really get the real spectrum of them, it's not the case yet. I will add some in the next dev version after the current one.

Of course the background will be also present in other parts, like for the (game) AIs, the (so beautiful) foreign relations between the factions, and the events.

So many games forget the storyline these days.

That's why it can be difficult to connect with many of them as a player. Another faction X warring vs the faction Y, another planet Z to conquer, another one-sided/one-line enemy to kill.
It's what was awesome in our old days in the 80's and 90's. UI and graphics were certainly bad and/or basic but we had tons of background (sometime more interesting than the game itself).
But yeah, it's not in the creative bag of holdings of this industry anymore, which has paradoxally more money and technical means than before.

@geraldine:

Exactly. For sure in term of standard game design, FARC has already some things considered useless for mainstream games. It's with no surprise that the so called AAA and indie studios doesn't take the way to push the abstraction away for more "realism" or more "simulated coherence", like for example Aurora 4X and Dwarf Fortress do (to a certain extreme). Because these things takes time that could be used for something else, and time is money, so their vision is pretty different than for us little garage people 🙂
But on another hand doing this kind of thing in spare time takes certainly an insane amount of time vs the result; If I had to abstract FARC onto simpler systems, it would be more advanced than what it is actually, regardless of my actual speed to developping it.

Lots of little things many players might miss or skip

Yes, and the main drawback of such things is that it is pretty difficult to the players to figure of the mechanisms. For sure, many players don't like that at all, and others do.
When you look at the page of Aurora to create a missile in the game, you know you can't master it all, if any.

But anyway we will see 🙂  For now I must continue to add the factions, and new planetary systems after that.

This post was modified 2 years ago 8 times by farcodev

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

Earth United Space Nations (EUSPAN) (DONE), People’s Republic of China (PRC) (WIP)

• Colonization Phase System (CPS)
    • [New: DONE] fix: FCFcpso_SPMWeightsIncompatibility_Test; wrong index used with FCDgdatEntities[]._spmSettings.
  • Factions
    • Language System
      • [New: DONE] overhaul and optimization, including bugfixes in the algorythm logic, for the generation of names for space units.
  • Faction / Earth United Space Nations (EUSPAN)
    • [New: DONE] implementation of its basic data.
    • Expeditions
      • [New: DONE] Regulated United Colony (RUC): basic implementation.
    • Expedition – Regulated United Colony (RUC) / Backstory
      • [New: DONE] Cradle Endowment Project (CREP).
    • Language System
      • [New: DONE] implementation of 206 words, including their articles rules (1 article in total).
  • Graphics
    • [New: NOT DEV] creation of one flag for the NORAC faction.
    • [New: NOT DEV] creation of one flag for the EUSPAN faction.
    • [New: NOT DEV] creation of one flag for the PRC faction.
    • [New: NOT DEV] creation of one flag for the RF faction.
    • [New: NOT DEV] creation of one flag for the EU faction.
    • [New: NOT DEV] creation of one flag for the BC faction.
    • [New: NOT DEV] creation of one flag for the NEBEF faction.

Sorry for the lack of news, but with my job I’ve not had the time and desire to dev (it’s a bit hectic these last days, in the good way). Anyway, I’m trying now to push the completion of the factions of origin.

The EUSPAN is done, I starting now the People’s Republic of China (PRC).

I have not much more to say since it’s mainly work of design into background history, socio-political, matrix, society, languages, and so on, and of course implementing the byproducts of all of this into the game.

Thanks for your interest and stay tuned.

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

The People's Republic of China (PRC) (with more sections than the previous post for the NORAC and EUSPAN, because the details of each faction is pretty... extensive... and yes, any relevant elements will have/already have an affect in the game):

*History

China is one of the most populous countries with India whose historical bases go back to ancient times.

This country has gradually become a space power that has entered into direct competition with NORAC, and stood out after having founded the first permanent base on the Moon, thus starting the international competition in the field of space colonization by Humanity.

The political system is based on a central authority, a distant legacy of the decades spent under the central communist regime.

The communist side has morphed leaving part to a leading ultra nationalist class having the economy for focus, including the acquisition of the power induced by it at the international level.

Thus the ancient ideological side changes while keeping an authoritarian and territorial emphasis.

*Society

The society is entirely regulated through a nationalist collectivist ideology enforced via a system of social ranking, where the population must conform to a template of what represent a good citizen and good citizenry behavior. This applies in all domain of lif; on a politic level (relation/opinion with the State), economical level (good spending habit, investment, budget), and social (social conformity, trouble-free behavior).

Anyone that lose points in this social ranking can, at certain low levels, have certain rights revoked; as the one to travel, having a bank account, and so on.

The economic system of the country stay as a mix of state-owned companies and the private sector, as it was during the communist era in the 20th and 21st centuries. But of course, due to the mutation into the government through the 21st and 22nd centuries, certain changes have occured; the private financial industry has rised with lender and non-lender private financial companies, working alongside the main public financial actors.

*Technology - AI and Cybershells

The AIs are considered like useful, but mindless, tools which must be kept under control of the Humanity which is seen as superior to these machines. SAIs are considered as subhumans species with some rights but totally dependables of humans.

Any rogue and SAI cloning is seen as threats that must be terminated.

*Technology - Biotechnologies and Bioroids

Eugenics, gene modifications and genemod humans are authorized but under regulation by the government.

Genemod humans themselves have exactly the same right and duty as any Chinese baseline, and of course are submitted to the social ranking life.

Post-humans and clones are considered like suhumans with some civil rights but aren't treated as full citizen, meaning they have certain handicap in their social score matrix by design.

Bioroids are considered no less than multipurpose slaves that must be kept on the leash and in service of Humanity.

* Space & Colonization Politics

PRC is one of the three biggest space power, along NORAC and BC, and it controls the XXX and XXX systems.

The colonization politics are based on State settlements with some opening to private sector.

In the beginning, the main and sometimes only purpose of these colonies was to support the nation on Earth, but soon enough, and obviously, semi-independent communities developed.

It exists two space organizations:

- China National Space Administration (CNSA): national space agency with purpose to plan, develop and organize the exploration and colonization in space.

- People's Liberation Army Space Force (PLASF): Chinese space military force.

There are two types of expeditions, available to the player: People's State Settlement, and Pioneer Settlement.

This post was modified 2 years ago by farcodev

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

The Russian Federation (RF) (in WIP since I completing/implementing it):

* History

The Russian Federation has always been an important player in the exploration and occupation of space since the historic beginning of the space conquest by humanity.

After the collapse of the United Nations in the 21st century, the RF established jointly with India, another rising space power, the Earth United Space Nations (EUSPAN).

The aim of this organization is to project an international force in space to counter two major players, NORAC and PRC, and to give space access to countries that do not have the means to access it.
See 2.3.2.1 for a more detailed description of EUSPAN itself.

In parallel, the Russian Federation continues its own space program and follows its own agenda in this area, even when it may conflict with the interests of EUSPAN. The country tries at best to not enter into direct conflicts of interests with the EUSPAN, and so it is why it tends to avoid any operations and expansion directly in the so called Earth Sphere (including the Earth, the Moon and an abstracted sphere extending a bit beyond the Lagrangian points).

In fact, this country is one of the four most advanced terrestrial and extrasolar factions in the field of aerospace engineering.

The organization of the RF is articulated around an elected government, including president and ministers. The system has not changed since the beginning of the 21st century even though the machinery of government has modernized.

* Society

The Russian society is a mix of nationalism with private ventures.

The privacy of the individual is more respected than for factions like NORAC and PRC, and no social scoring system exists. By many ways, the citizenship in Russia at the start of the game isn't very different than the one at the start of the 21st century.

This of course, as long as the citizen doesn't involve and/or meddle itself too much into the affairs of the governement, see the second paragraph below.

For sure a willingful nationalism exists in the country which is driven by a constructive ideology of self improvement and expansion.

That doesn't means the country doesn't apply to international competition, but in the best possible means it tries in a way that all parties involved receive benefits. But if cooperation isn't possible, the RF hasn't forgot to show certain teeths when needed.

In terms of freedom of speech concerning the government and the establishment, the country has kept the same duo of control-repression than those used in the 21st century excepted it is used with a greater range of tolerance.

The range of repressive measures is also softened, but it can impede the everyday life by limiting certain freedom like national/international travel, use of financial institutions, publications into diverse memetic vehicles and so on. It's mainly a case-basis.

There are no arrests per see, outside of the needs of investigations, but the people involved are more or less locked in the country.

Overall the lifestyle is western-based (with more freedom than certain other factions) and mixed with slavic culture, and the language commonly used is Russian.

Due to nanotechnology widely used in the Russian society, gene mdofications are privately used bu, at the contrary of the NORAC, baseline humans have the same rights than their genemod counterparts.

The RF is one of the rare factions where posthumans, widely used for space exploration and colonization, have the same right than any Russian baseline/genemod, but their production and use are very regulated and monitored by the State.

The naming of space units and colonies use exclusively Russian words.

* Technology - General

Nanotechnology: the Russian Federation is the only of the 8 main space powers to have the highest advances in this field. Nanotech isn't feared but more accepted as potential problems solvers.

This strong expansion in the everyday life such technology has even created a movement that thinks that the liberation and/or transcendence of society will pass through the excess use of it.

* Technology - AI and Cybershells

The artificial intelligences are used as common tool and the government recognize that if any of them becomes sentient, and doesn't constitutes a danger for the society, they can apply to full citizenship, getting then the same rights and duty than their humans counterparts.

SAI cloning is only allowed through mitosis by quantum chaos, any direct cloning is forbidden and any subject are to be arrested.

Due to the elevated consciousness of artilects (transcended SAIs), they cannot be considered as citizen, even less as human-like, but are studied in controlled environments held by the State.

Any rogue AI is tracked down for termination and is considered like an immediate and dangerous hazard.

* Technology - Biotechnologies and Bioroids

Any bioroid containing a SAI brain is considered at the same level of SAIs. Otherwise, NSAI bioroids are considered as living things, animals and/or living slaves or servants.

Due to the deep penetration of nanotechnologies into the Russian society, the biotechnologies are also affected by it and full scale molecular nanotechnology is widely used for bioroids manufacturing and also gene therapy and modifications.

Eugenism isn't applied as an accepted lifestyle at the scale of the society, like for the NORAC, but any individual can use these technologies if it has the money for it.

Posthumans are pretty used too in the Russian society, expecially for space expansion/colonization purposes.

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

Sorry for any typo/grammar, text isn't final but will be put into the Knowledge Base before the release.

I will try to implement all of the factions before the end of december, I played a "bit too much" of some new video games for two weeks 🤨  (Red Dead Redemption... when it worked, Terminator Resistance, Stellaris w/ the Lithoids thing, Star Wars Jedi - Fallen Order.

Anyway, back to dev 😴 

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@farcodev

All work and no play makes Farcodev an unhappy watchmaker! 😊 

This is great progress Farcodev, your game is really coming together. 😎

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

Haha! Right that Geraldine! 😉 

Thanks!  It never goes faster enough but yep it continues.

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

[dev notice] Berngham’s Community (DONE), Last Faction of Origin to Implement in WIP

I have finally one faction left (out of the 8) to implement: the Neo-Believers Federation (NEBEF) and that will be done, for now.

I will try to finish it before the end of this week, and after that I will add about 7 new planetary systems (including Alpha Centauri A/B, but not Sol… yet). These systems will be added in certain pools of starting locations of the factions of origin.

Just FYI, the data of these factions is pretty basic for now since they aren’t “physically” in the game yet. The data implemented are: faction level, faction’s death tolerance, one backstory, a start of SPM settings (I need to add a ton of new SPM memes and policies in the next dev version 0.6.19), and the common core of technologies and orientations for the research & development.
Of course bunch of words specific to each faction’s language, culture, history, and policy are also added. For now they are only used to name space units.

Work is never done! 🤓

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

[dev update] All Factions (DONE), Orbits Lists Fix/Speed Increase, New Star/Planetary Systems (WIP)

Status of the work of December 31, for this 0.6.18 version:

• [DONE]  Farc Universe Generator (FUG) updates and improvements.
  • [DONE] Full recalculation of the Epsilon Eridani system with the changes above.
  • [DONE] Weather and Geophysical System (WEAGES) induced region environmental modifiers.
  • [DONE] Weather and Geophysical System (WEAGES) implementation of a probability system, with specific data for each effect, to determine if and how a weather/geophysical effect will hit settlements, expeditions and armies.
  • [WIP] Addition of the seven factions of origin, including 7 additional starter star systems.
  • [] Full overhaul of the planetary exploration system (PES).
  • [] Modifications in Conversion/Assembling/Building of infrastructures (new Size Indexes, REMs, new duration calculations).
  • [] Infrastructure Reliability and Integrity + Integration with the WEAGES.
  • [] Planetary Features & Artefacts; basic addition and generation.
  • [] Small CSM updates.
  • [] Options Window.
  • [] 100% Revamp of Messages Panels into a Messages Log Window + Rework of Messages
  • [] General Improvements of the User’s Interface.
  • [] Various Bug Fixes.
  • [] Knowledge Base – Session Update
  • Faction / Berngham’s Community (BC)
    • Backstories
      • [New: DONE] New World Community.
    • Language System
      • [New: DONE] implementation of 244 words, including their articles rules (3 articles in total).
  • Faction / European-Union (EU)
    • Backstories
      • [New: DONE] Space Village.
    • Language System
      • [New: DONE] implementation of 326 words, including their articles rules (4 articles in total).
  • Faction / Neo-Believers Federation (NEBEF)
    • Backstories
      • [New: DONE] Holy Ground Pioneers.
    • Language System
      • [New: DONE] implementation of 312 words, including their articles rules (1 article in total).
  • Faction / People’s Republic of China (PRC)
    • Backstories
      • [New: DONE] Industrial Complex.
    • Language System
      • [New: DONE] implementation of 91 words, including their articles rules (1 article in total).
  • Faction / Russian Federation (RF)
    • Backstories
      • [New: DONE] Consortium Colony.
    • Language System
      • [New: DONE] implementation of 218 words, including their articles rules (1 article in total).
  • Factions
    • Expeditions & Backstories
      • [New: DONE] the expeditions are removed (but not the backstories); it’s convoluted and irrelevant for gaming purpose. So, the player has only to chose a faction of origin and among its available backstories.
    • Starting Locations
      • [New: DONE] complete overhaul of scopes:
        •   Asteroids (asteroids only, including in asteroid belts and satellites).
        •  AsteroidsNoSat (asteroids only, including in asteroid belts BUT no satellites).
        • Planets (planets only, including in asteroid belts and satellites).
        • PlanetsNoSat (planets only, NOT including in asteroid belts and satellites).
        • All (any orbital object, including in asteroid belts and satellites).
      • [New: DONE] if SPM/Colonialism = All (if meme test is passed ). NOTE: meme test: only if BL > not present; 2 tests; one w/ BL = gives char value vs diff (equals to average current matrix of influence value = % to test. If pass=> 2nd test; SV test, direct % test two pass = succeed.
      • [New: DONE] if SPM/Environmentalism = Planets (if meme test is passed).
      • [New: DONE] if SPM/One-World Community = PlanetsNoSat (if policy is set).
      • [New: DONE] if SPM/Planetary Chauvinism = AsteroidsNoSat (if meme test is passed)..
  • Graphics
    • [NOT DEV=>DONE] creation of one flag for the PRC faction.
    • [NOT DEV=>DONE] creation of one flag for the RF faction.
    • [NOT DEV=>DONE] creation of one flag for the EU faction.
  • Interface – Help & Knowledge Base
    • [New: WIP] the support and use of Windows’ internet explorer component is dropped. Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) is now used to display the in-game Knowledge Base, this way FARC is more independent from Windows for this.
  • Interface – Local Surface / Colony / Colony Data
    • [New: DONE] fix: correction of a display bug with Cohesion values > 100%.
  • Interface – Orbits Panel
    • [New: DONE] fix: the bad parallel integration to display the space units lists for low and geosynchronous orbits has been removed, which greatly speeds up the display of the lists.
    • [New: NOT DEV] the space units’ icons are now stored in a container pre-loaded at the start, which speeds up the display of the lists and severely reduce disk acess.
  • Misc
    • [New: NOT DEV] the compiled executable uses now a new version of the UI framework TMS VCL UI Pack, 10.1.0.0.
  • Socio-Political Matrix (SPM)
    • [New: DONE] implementation of a “meme test”, used to test the effectiveness of a meme. This rule is used only for certain parts of the game systems that needs to test the presence/effectivess of at least one meme, which is outside the scope of the use of memes’ custom effects.

First, have a happy year 2020! 🙂

As you can see it’s a big list of updates, but it was a while since I haven’t published a dev update post.

All the factions of origin are now implemented with one backstory for each of them. It’s limited for now but will be expanded over the time.
I also removed the expeditions because it was redundant and useless; the player has only to chose a backstory among the different factions of origin, and that’s all. Sometime I really like to make it complicated for nothing hehe 🙂

The SPM is now even more linked to the game by influencing the starting location at each new game. Thus, memes and policies that can influence it are taken into consideration now.
With the future developments of the game, the SPM will be more and more intricate with the rest of the game systems, influencing the gameplay and keeping certain parts coherent with the factions.

As announced in a previous post, the Knowledge Base is now displayed through Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) now, nothing ultra impressive outside the fact the display of the base should be the same regardless of the system.

I will update the full commercial user’s interface framework, that I use for the user’s interface of the game, to a new version. Not only it fixes bugs, improve the whole but also add new interesting components, especially one  that would be interesting to use for the Research & Development System. This version also include SVG support, which allows to use SVG files for icons and illustrations which by nature scales pretty well regardless of screen resolution. I will need some experiments before using it.

Now, I need to complete the flags of each faction; only 3 out of 8 are done. I found many free ones with more or less sci-fi design, and I’m ready to finally use and work them.

Once done, I will start to work on the design of a new star system; the Alpha Centauri AB system, it’s time that the universe of FARC gets expanded a bit. I don’t know how much I will add, because I don’t want to pass too much time on it, but at least this system will be.
I need to complete my research and start the generation of it, including making custom surface maps when needed.

To at least giving you something visual, here’s a screenshot of the new game setup window with the full list of factions of origin, their backstories, and the Russian Federation selected:

I will publish a blog post when all the flags will be completed.

Again; have a good year 2020, thanks for your interest, and stay tuned!

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

And a Happy New Year to you too Farcodev! Now THAT'S a changelog! You made so much progress over the course of last year!

Posted by: @farcodev

Sometime I really like to make it complicated for nothing hehe

😀 Well you are the Watchmaker! It's not for nothing though, rather I think, as you have always shown, you love to put lots of detail and care into FARC. It's been a hallmark of your work all through FARC's development. I know though that you wouldn't have dropped anything if it comprised your vision of  the game, so it's all good! 😉 

farcodev liked
ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @geraldine

And a Happy New Year to you too Farcodev! Now THAT'S a changelog! You made so much progress over the course of last year!

😀 Well you are the Watchmaker! It's not for nothing though, rather I think, as you have always shown, you love to put lots of detail and care into FARC. It's been a hallmark of your work all through FARC's development. I know though that you wouldn't have dropped anything if it comprised your vision of  the game, so it's all good! 😉 

Thanks Geraldine! 🙂

Yeah for sure I working on it more often than certain past years, it's maybe because I make more clear plans for it.

About the vision yes, especially since more and more is put into the game, there is no turning back at this level, and the beautiful thing to make something not commercial and pretty under the radar is that I don't have to copy any concept and mechanism in the genre, even if I don't reinvent the wheel.

The dev of Aurora 4X has kinda this way of thinking too, and that's pretty fine 😉

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Oh you been busy Farcodev.... look at all those green DONE's 🙂 I have never really thought about assets in the game.... With me not being a artist or a musician I could only imagine how much time is taken to try to either create these sounds, music or graphic assets must take. And you can spend just as much time scouring the internet for just the right royalty free asset/sound.

farcodev liked
ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

Oh you been busy Farcodev.... look at all those green DONE's 🙂 I have never really thought about assets in the game.... With me not being a artist or a musician I could only imagine how much time is taken to try to either create these sounds, music or graphic assets must take. And you can spend just as much time scouring the internet for just the right royalty free asset/sound.

Yep and 2020 will be even busier since I will try to complete the two next versions for the Alpha 10 and finally get done with it and move on (ie to alpha 11).
I had to put aside other hobbies and reduce my gaming time, no choice.

About the assets, yeah it is. Only to find flags to work on, I had to pass like 2 days of search for it. Of course flags for the European Union, Russian Federation, and People's Republic of China were easy to find (thanks wikimedia), but for the rest I had to find ones, and even more WITH COMPATIBLE AND ACCEPTABLE licenses. Because for sure you have websites like DeviantArt with ton of these, but no creativecommon/open source friendly license that allows to use it.
There is so much art wasted away just for a one time show, it's incredible, but it's the people's choice and I respect it.

One of the work, once collected and put in correctly named directories (creator's name - source/website and subdirs by licenses), is to put each file in a assets lists for FARC, so I can classify them by nature (3D / 2D-Banners / Icons) and by usable type (is it for s settlement, infrastructure, space unit, flag, icon, etc...). So when I need something, I don't have to pass hours to scrub the directories to find a specifc file.

For example, actually I have 775 icons sorted and classified. I have also 278 3D objects and scenes that I can use and render for the game.
And it's only certainly 50% or so of all I have, because I cannot pass days and days to test each of them, so it takes time for sure. I can only process a few for a time, because it gets boring fast, but in other ways it's necessary, because if there are on my ssd/hard drives it's because there are usable/interesting to put in the game.

Anyway sorry for the long rant with lot of "because" 😊 

In the end, the people that does these incredible assets (like the top killers, at the art level, on Blendswap for example) and distribute them on free licenses are really godsends; because for sure I don't have the skill nor the time to make all of it, and FARC has already a fair amount of assets.
I don't even think I could make the game as it is if there weren't these people and websites around.

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

[dev notice] Screenshots Heavy Tease Post; Alpha Centauri AB (WIP of validation, adjustments)

So the Alpha Centauri AB system is generated. I say AB, because Proxima Centauri will be its own star system in FARC; there is always debate if Proxima is part or not of ACen AB regarding of the distance of this red dwarf star vs the two other stars.
Since FARC isn’t an astrophysics program but a game, I took the decision too make it a “stand alone”, it doesn’t change much to the game anyway.

For now ACen AB is in validation and adjustments phase, ie; I must validate a correct minimal size for the asteroids, I must sort the the satellites according to distances (a limitation of my universe generator, so I must check it and sort it, even remove duplicates if any, by hand), and there are two satellites Alpha Centauri B3-1 and B3-7 that I must review and try to make a somehow believable surface map after their generations, or I will generate them again, because one them is particularly full of… life and I ejected it during the generation because I was lazy to work its surface… a mistake I know. The other one has life too but is pretty secondary.

Enough talk, it’s time to present the screenshots, just consider that a WIP outside of the surfaces that are final. I will comment for certain parts.

First alpha Centauri A:

A1, a very hot telluric planet with hotspots tectonic activity. not really a Venus because its atmosphere pressure is only 249.23 mbars but certainly a dangerous one. some winds can go as fast as the range of 100-150 m/s.
But hey the planet is pretty rich in metals and uranium ore, so what are you waiting for? haha!  Distance: 0.24 AU.

Since A2 is an asteroid, there is not much to show (I use standardized and basic 3D objects for asteroids and the surface maps are standardized too).
A3 (the outer bright circle in the first screenshot) is the asteroid belt of the system…

…and ACen A3-5 is one of the two planetoids of this belt. Yep, it looks like a Death Star in this shoot because of the biggest crater on it. The craters are generated dynamically in Fractal Terrains Pro via planetary bombardment and the results can be mixed but most of the time pretty good, especially in the 3D view.

ACen A3-6 is the second planetoid of this belt, a pretty hammered surface. As you can see, I try to generate maps that are personalized even if sometimes a bit equivalent due to the planets’ features and data.
The rest of the objects of the belt are asteroids so, again, nothing much interesting to see.

This beautiful brownish/orange gaseous planet is a Neptunian-type one, and the last planet of the system.

OK, as said previously the two systems are in validation phase, and obviously these two satellites are pretty similar and close to each other, so in the final version I will certainly keep only one.
FYI, the naming in the two planetary systems is temporary until anything is validated and sorted.
So, A4-1 and A4-5 are pretty active with plate and platelet tectonics and they bear a certain form of life, a silicon-based one…

ACen A4-2 isn’t bad too with plate tectonics but no life.

The last planetoid satellite, another pretty active too with volcanic regions.

Now Alpha Centauri B, a K1 Orange Star.

The most notable element is the hot gaseous planet B1 at 0.16 AU from its star…

Among its satellites there are two hot telluric planets depicted above, also pretty active with tectonics and hot in the 330-420 Kelvin range of temperatures.

The rest of its satellites are some metallic asteroids, also pretty hot.

Here comes B2, a telluric planet with ice sheets hydrosphere. It has no tectonic activity at all but a few regions are arid with few and sparse shrubs… The only problem are the deadly winds, but it will be only a details for our courageous colonists! hehe. The atmosphere pressure is thick with 4.7 bars.

This planet has two satellites; one is an icy asteroid, the other one is the planet above. As you can see via its fractures, it has platelet tectonics and so is pretty active and dangerous to set a colony on it.

Next one, B3, is a Saturn-like gaseous planet.
Among its satellites it has one, B3-1 with a pretty strong (in term of life vigor) carbon-based life living in a subsurface ocean. The planet isn’t depicted in screenshot because I must work its surface map.

The other planetoid of B3 is B3-5, a pretty dead and cold world (60-90K) with ice sheets ecosphere and a trace atmosphere.
The rest of the satellites are asteroids.

Finally B-4, the last orbital object of Alpha Centauri B, is a asteroid belt (the bring outer ring in the screenshot above). There aren’t any other screenshots since this belt only contains asteroids.

As you can see, I try the best possible to make the custom maps pretty differents for each others, to keep a certain “individuality” and persona. It’s not easy for the colors and textures, but for the shapes, Fractal Terrains can generate trillions of different seeds, so the possibilities are endless.
And I always check if one generated seed isn’t already used, each time.

In the FARC universe, Alpha Centauri A and B aren’t the homes of any extrasolar faction, at the difference of Epsilon Eridani which is the home of the Magellan Unity. Only the NORAC will have bases in it mainly for military and industrial purposes.
But there are interesting features in these systems; Alpha Centauri A is the only system that have at least one orbital object that carries a basic silicon-based life (basic ie less evolved than the life forms on Earth), which isn’t a small feature when you knows the very tight parameters and calculations for this biochemistry to even exists in the game.
No Earthling-centered astrobiology debate is needed here; after all, scientists some years ago were baffled to find life near the abyssal vents on Earth, because they said and repeated so much time that life in these conditions wasn’t possible… But Nature doesn’t really weight the opinion of these pesky human beings. 🙂

Alpha Centauri B carries, via one of its orbital object, a pretty vigorous carbon-based life, sheltered in a sub-surface ocean.

So that’s all. Once I completed the validation of this dual planetary systems, I will work on the factions’ flags that I have to do and will complete them.

Thanks for your interest, I hope you liked this little show, and have a great Tuesday!

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

If I read this right your wrote something that will randomly generate those textures for the planets....? Nice 🙂 It would be pretty painful to create each one. Those gas planets look great btw, especially B1. I mean your right in some of your comments that you cannot have lots of systems or objects looking the same or people get bored.

There have been many times I have liked a background in a image and I wanted to use it, but always decided against it. Yeah I know they are peoples work, but if they post it online and then forget about it what good is it doing for them 2yrs later when no one views it any more because they don't want to scroll down their feed to view. There should be a time limit on stuff like this unless they specifically put a copy-write on the image itself. I guess thats why I never really got into game making because I don't have a creative bone in my body, unless someone wants to play stick figures in space 😉 oh wait I think I just thought of a new game concept.... I have yet to see stick figures in space 😜 

Try not to bore yourself to sleep looking through planet images and flags Farcodev.

I do have one question, on that first image.... do you select a point and zoom in to see the planets in the system or do you pick them via the menu drop-down you have?

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

If I read this right your wrote something that will randomly generate those textures for the planets....? Nice 🙂 It would be pretty painful to create each one. Those gas planets look great btw, especially B1. I mean your right in some of your comments that you cannot have lots of systems or objects looking the same or people get bored.

No, I using a third party software made by ProFantasy Software Ltd named Fractal Terrains, it's one of the many reasons the planets aren't randomely generated at each new game.
So yes I work on them "manually", in fact most of the work is to adapt the data of the regions (terrain type and relief) with the generated surface map.
The map itself is generated by taking into account of what the FUG has generated as data (temperature + variance, hydrosphere, inclination axis, and so on...).

Of course I have 7 pages in the main design document of detailed process, because it's a certain complicated/fastidious work to do.

To illustrate the work, here's a crop shoot of two of my screens when I work on the generation of orbital objects and when I must generate a surface map:

The center-left is Fractal terrain, the right part is FAR Colony with the Universe Generator fired.

There have been many times I have liked a background in a image and I wanted to use it, but always decided against it. Yeah I know they are peoples work, but if they post it online and then forget about it what good is it doing for them 2yrs later when no one views it any more because they don't want to scroll down their feed to view. There should be a time limit on stuff like this unless they specifically put a copy-write on the image itself. I guess thats why I never really got into game making because I don't have a creative bone in my body, unless someone wants to play stick figures in space 😉 oh wait I think I just thought of a new game concept.... I have yet to see stick figures in space 😜 

Yeah licensing is certainly a boring part; even if the free/open source community is composed of many sites that provides already good amount of assets, once you try to go outside of it you enter in the dark void of space of copyright trolls.

As an example I had to contact ArtStation because I wanted to pay for certain 3D assets but the licensing wasn't clear. They confirmed to me that I can do 3d renders of the assets by distributing them under a CC BY-NC-ND (the most restrictive CreativeCommons license, how surprising) for free projects.
So I will buy some assets on this site this year but yeah again you must investigate and keep copies of emails in case of some snowflakes are whinning for their copyright even if you have paid for it... If I had to use directly these assets, I would have to do the same as what companies do; put them into encrypted archives, and ... that is a nope from me. It's partly why FARC is mostly a 2D game and will stay like this.

Crediting people is also not the most interesting work to do but at least that's the part of legitimate "thank you" you can give.

Add "zombies" to the stick figures and you will make the next indie hit haha 🙂  OK, this "zombie" craze in the indie industry has faded away for a while now, but hey! It could be the next revolution in revival!
Out of joking yep, assets management can be a pain.

This post was modified 2 years ago 9 times by farcodev

ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 14