Notifications
Clear all

I use crypto.com app personally on a daily basis and its great and takes the stress out of learning crypto and the crypto debit cards are great, ask me anything on this. I will probably make a thread discussing crypto soon. REFERRAL CODE = p5mu64hcq4

Dev News

Page 14 / 14

farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

[dev update] Alpha Centauri AB (DONE), Factions' Flags (DONE), Overhaul of the Planetary Exploration System (WIP)

Status of the work of January 13, for this 0.6.18 version:

• [DONE]  Farc Universe Generator (FUG) updates and improvements.
  • [DONE] Full recalculation of the Epsilon Eridani system with the changes above.
  • [DONE] Weather and Geophysical System (WEAGES) induced region environmental modifiers.
  • [DONE] Weather and Geophysical System (WEAGES) implementation of a probability system, with specific data for each effect, to determine if and how a weather/geophysical effect will hit settlements, expeditions and armies.
  • [DONE/WIP] Addition of the seven factions of origin, including 7 additional starter star systems.
  • [WIP] Full overhaul of the planetary exploration system (PES).
  • [] Modifications in Conversion/Assembling/Building of infrastructures (new Size Indexes, REMs, new duration calculations).
  • [] Infrastructure Reliability and Integrity + Integration with the WEAGES.
  • [] Planetary Features & Artefacts; basic addition and generation.
  • [] Small CSM updates.
  • [] Options Window.
  • [] 100% Revamp of Messages Panels into a Messages Log Window + Rework of Messages
  • [] General Improvements of the User's Interface.
  • [] Various Bug Fixes.
  • [] Knowledge Base - Session Update
  • FARC Universe Generator (FUG)
    • [New: DONE] expanded the user's interface to new input fields for the second star's semi major axis, minimum approach distance, and orbit eccentricity. If these are filled, these data aren't generated.
  • Graphics
    • [NOT DEV=>DONE] creation of one flag for the NORAC faction.
    • [NOT DEV=>DONE] creation of one flag for the EUSPAN faction.
    • [NOT DEV=>DONE] creation of one flag for the BC faction.
    • [NOT DEV=>DONE] creation of one flag for the NEBEF faction.
    • [NOT DEV=>DONE] creation of one flag for the MUN faction. It replaces the placeholder with a non-free origin.
    • [New: DONE] complete creation of 12 custom surface maps for orbital objects located in Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B.
  • Universe / Star Systems Integration
    • [New: DONE] Alpha Centauri AB: full generation and integration.  2 new stars + 38 orbital objects in total.

As the title says.

For now I pass to the next step of the development (but I will add at least another star system before release) which is a total rework of the PES, especially in its terrible interface but also in core.
This will also include the completion of the local surface panel.

Not much to say heh?  So, here are some screenshots of the custom flags (outside of the Russian Federation, People's Republic of China, and European Union ones that we already know about):

The sources are diverse (mainly wikimedia and a few from the rare CreativeCommons ones on DeviantArt) and in-game credits are, of course, updated.
I made pretty modifications for the EUSPAN and NORAC ones (Inkscape was pretty useful), just recolorized the BC and NEBEF ones, and just resized the MUN one 🙂

That's it for now, thanks for your interest, and stay tuned!

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by farcodev

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

These custom surface maps for objects, you plan or reusing these sorts of assets throughout the game or using it only in the AC sector?

Like those new flags 👍 

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sscadmin

These custom surface maps for objects, you plan or reusing these sorts of assets throughout the game or using it only in the AC sector?

Like those new flags 👍 

The custom surface maps are specific for each telluric planet. It's why I store the seeds for Fractal Terrains into the universe.xml file.
It's a new production cycle for each object. So yep, no custom surface map is resused for more than one orbital object.

Thanks for the flags, but outside of two I haven't did much work on them  🙂

This post was modified 2 years ago by farcodev

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

[dev notice] Planetary Exploration System (PES) Redesign (WIP) + some UI Talk

The redesign of the final version of the PES is ongoing.
The part of it in the main document is actually being rewritten and cleaned up, and the main changes of this system are the following:

• additional support of the features & artifacts, and the biological surveys. Until now the PES was only for geological/resources survey.
  • implementation of the crewing rules for the survey vehicles / cybershells by being multispecies/multiclades. It means, as an example, that not only baselines humans can crew such vehicles but also their gene modified counterparts.
  • removal of the current survey vehicles' capabilities and replacement by characteristics and abilities fully compatible with the new Unified Resolution System (URES).
  • integration of the URES in the calculations of survey probabilities, their resolutions, and their possible outcomes. It also includes the uses of the new Region Environmental Modifiers (REM).
  • integration of a new way to generate resource spots' size (in accordance to the modified/new infrastructure level calculation). In addition of it, a new data named Total Exploitation Volume is integrated and includes its calculations. It simply means that the resources will be finite in the game, even if vast in certain cases.

As you can see, the change are pretty meaty and these points constitute in fact the next changelog entries.

I also made the future user's interface of the PES on paper, and maybe I have found a way to display the resource spots in the local surface panel on a prettier fashion than before hehe. I will need some tests for that.

That seems a lot of work and it is, but the PES is one of the core system of the game so I better be doing it well, or better than before.

So that's it for now. I return to my docs and calculations and tables, a typing and computing weekend 🙂

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  
[dev notice] Ongoing Planetary Exploration Development + PDF of the Geological Survey Design

I started the development of the new planetary exploration window (and will continue after my day job).
I using a window since the player will be able to setup any elligible exploration from any orbital object it has a colony on, making it a unified tool.

I have not much of screenshots to show for now since it’s work in progress but to give a little thing I decided to extract the 8 pages of design of the geological survey into a pdf and sharing it to anyone interested.

Just be advised that the writing has certainly some typos, and the English is far to be perfect, but it is a design doc not a manual. The subsytem itself is certainly not perfect nor rocket science too but it is working and better than what was already in the game. The thing is final anyway, outside of few adjustments and additions.

So that’s it, not much to say but a PDF to show, better than nothing 🙂

You can download the pdf here, consider it as a CC-BY license for it as for any assets I make myself for the game.

Thanks for your interest and have a good week!

This post was modified 2 years ago 6 times by farcodev

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Huge respect to you Farcodev, after just looking at that PDF there looks like there is so much math involved with surveying planets and how you compile the results, very deep indeed. Now I can see why this can take so much time to tweak to get it the way you want it and also make it all flow with the other planets and gameplay.

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

@sscadmin Thanks DarkOne!

For sure developping FAR Colony isn't the easy path, and for the planets; between their stack of data, the dynamic data (biosphere, resources, features), and the weather/geophysics system it starts to become crowded.
We are far from swamp/savanna worlds of Stellaris for sure...  The drawback is the less you abstract, the more complicated it becomes and anything new (outside of the game assets) addup to it.

I don't even imagine when I will start to implement factions' AIs. I know how I will do it (3 levels of score-based systems with global directives on top of the pyramid), but I don't know what final result it will be.
Anyway since it's not a 4X and since the player isn't in direct competion with them (at least at the start of a game) it will be OK.

It's cool to see systems affecting each other but it doesn't help to make the development easy. So yep, each step in it is always a relatively heavy one, especially when it's time to add other game systems.

On the other hand, the new interface/window of the planetary exploration system will be clear, I hope. I using new interface components that will help in this way.

This post was modified 2 years ago by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

[dev notice] Plan for This Year + Talk/Screenshot about the Exploration Interface

First, sorry for the lack of news, I took some off days to dwelve into other things but I'm back now.

So for now I finalizing the backbone of the interface; I tested a new component, a sort of "super" list / table view, that allows many things and even the inclusion of buttons and such for each item.
Its features goes right in the alley of what I need to setup expeditions and select vehicles for it.
I took a bit of time experimenting and learning with it but it's OK now.

In the picture below, from my third-party supplier website, you can see a small part of what it can do.

Of course I have to configure its many parameter for FAR Colony.

Concerning the plan; I want to complete entirely the alpha 10 this year, that means to complete the three versions (including the current one) . That means, basically, 4 months for each version.

FYI here is the recall of the two next version before the end of the alpha 10:

• Alpha 10 / 0.6.19:
    • Research & Development System: tech trees full completion + products' Development Levels integration.
    • Socio-Political Matrix: full fixes and completion of the system.
    • Colony Simualtion Model: completion, and end game: full outcomes @ this stage of the game and finalization.
  • Alpha 10 / 0.6.20:   (Last Alpha 10)
    • Population: full expansion; multispecies populations (humans, clones and AIs - all is already implemented at the data level) into the CSM, SPM, and Population Growth System. + full updates for the (totally outdated) user's interface.
    • Settlements: implementation of the expansion 2.0 (already in design): four types (Populated Settlement, Automated Settlement, Industrial Zone, Military Area). Surface, underground and so on pass as a Presence data.
    • Region Control: rules 2.0 - full implementation.

Concerning the current dev version the last big bit to do is this Planetary Exploration System. The rest is mostly changes/addition in data and user's interface improvements. I will also generate another star system before the release.
In the light of this, I "should" be able to release the current version before the end of April (take it with some salt). But for this I must work everyday on it, and doing it for the whole year. So, no more off day.

That's enough talking, let's walk the walk now, cheers! 🙂

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  
[dev update] Overhaul of the Planetary Exploration System (WIP)

• [DONE]  FARC Universe Generator (FUG) updates and improvements.
  • [DONE] Full recalculation of the Epsilon Eridani system with the changes above.
  • [DONE] Weather and Geophysical System (WEAGES) induced region environmental modifiers.
  • [DONE] Weather and Geophysical System (WEAGES) implementation of a probability system, with specific data for each effect, to determine if and how a weather/geophysical effect will hit settlements, expeditions and armies.
  • [DONE/WIP] Addition of the seven factions of origin, including 7 additional starter star systems.
  • [] Modifications in Conversion/Assembling/Building of infrastructures (new Size Indexes, REMs, new duration calculations).
  • [WIP] Infrastructure Reliability and Integrity + Integration with the WEAGES.
  • [WIP] Planetary Features & Artefacts; basic addition and generation.
  • [] Small CSM updates.
  • [] Options Window.
  • [] 100% Revamp of Messages Panels into a Messages Log Window + Rework of Messages
  • [WIP] General Improvements of the User’s Interface.
  • [WIP] Various Bug Fixes.
  • [] Knowledge Base – Session Update
  • 3D
    • [New: DONE] HUD Buttons/fix: prevent the hint to shows if the button is hidden.
    • [New: NOT DEV] HUD Buttons/fix: prevent the area of a hidden button to be clicked.
    • [New: NOT DEV] new HUD button to access the planetary exploration window.
  • Colonization Phase System (CPS)
    • [New: DONE] fix: second anticrash protection in case there is no CPS objectives available.
  • Colony Simulation Model (CSM)
    • [New: DONE] fix: the old code to make calculations of Quality of Life modifier according to the housing space level generated a crash if a colony was set on a satellite. The entire code of the function have been audited and all is working now.
  • Factions / Starting Locations
    • [New: DONE] orbital objects with tectonic activity of Platelet Tectonics or Extreme aren’t taken into the mix. They aren’t the best locations to set a fleeting first colony hehe.
  • Game Saving / Loading
    • [New: DONE] fix: wrong loading of colony’s location in the case when it is located on a satellite. Too much copy/paste into the parameters…
  • Graphics
    • [New: NOT DEV] creation of icons for the HUD button that allows access to the planetary exploration window.
  • Interface – General
    • [New: DONE] the minimum size restraints for the main window are now 1024×768.
    • [New: DONE] improved the readability of all the glow button.
    • [New: NOT DEV] new keyboard shortcut to access the planetary exploration window.
  • Interface – Local Surface
    • [New: DONE] addition of a button “exploration” to connect with the planetary exploration window.
  • Interface – Planetary Exploration
    • [New: WIP] the planetary exploration system is now in its own window and not a panel anymore.
    • [New: WIP] total rework of the user’s interface by using the new window.
  • Interface – Population Panel
    • [New: DONE] correction in color coding for population density data display.
  • Interface – Star Systems Browser
    • [New: DONE] it is now possible to browse any orbital object of any planetary system. I haven’t added this feature before, since there was only Epsilon Eirdani present in the game.
    • [New: DONE] fixed an oversight; I forgot to localize the main title of the window…
  • Misc
    • [New: DONE] the compiled executable uses now a new version of the UI framework TMS VCL UI Pack, 10.1.6.1.
  • Planetary Exloration System (PES)
    • [New: WIP] the crewing of survey vehicles / cybershells is now multispecies/multiclades.
    • [New: WIP] additional support of the features & artifacts, and the biological surveys. Until now the PES was only for geological/resources survey.
    • [New: WIP] removal of the current survey vehicles’ capabilities and replacement by characteristics and abilities fully compatible with the new Unified Resolution System (URES).
    • [New: WIP] integration of the URES in the calculations of survey probabilities, their resolutions, and their possible outcomes. It also includes the uses of the new Region Environmental Modifiers (REM).
    • [New: WIP] linking of the REMs of the possible Weather and Geophysical System effects currently active in the region. This particular data is updated each time any of the WEAGES effects in the region is updated.
    • [New: WIP] integration of a new way to generate resource spots’ size (in accordance to the modified/new infrastructure level calculation). In addition of it, a new data named Total Exploitation Volume is integrated and includes its calculations. It simply means that the resources will be finite in the game, even if vast in certain cases.
  • Production System / Production Modes
    • [New: NOT DEV] Resources Mining: complete and final overhaul on how the Resource Mining Production value is calculated.
  • Products
    • [New: DONE] the function Survey – Air is renamed into Survey Aero.
    • [New: DONE] function Survey – XXX equipments: total overhaul of the old previous capabilities into characteristics and abilities, so they become 100% compliant with the Unified Resolution System.
    • [New: DONE] one unit of equipment represent now one vehicle (and no more a variable group of vehicles).
    • [New: WIP] function Survey – XXX equipments: crew: addition of a new data that specify which category is used. By default, the human baseline categories are used. If the equipment is unmanned and use AI, a NSAI or SAI category is used.
  • Products / Equipments
    • [New: DONE] Antigrav Scout Platforms (Survey – Antigrav): capabilities replaced by URES characteristics and abilities, crew adjusted.
    • [New: DONE] Scout Autonomous Rovers (Survey – Ground): product removed for now.
    • [New: DONE] Autonomous Mobile Digging Platform (Survey – Ground): addition.
    • [New: DONE] Rover Survey Vehicles (Survey – Ground): product removed for now.
    • [New: DONE] Deep Mantle Explorer (Survey – Ground): addition.
    • [New: DONE] Mobile Digger Prospectors (Survey – Ground): addition.
    • [New: DONE] Nuclear VTOL Exploration Aircraft (Survey – Aero): addition.
    • [New: DONE] Survey Airship Drone (Survey – Aero): product renamed from Airships + capabilities replaced by URES characteristics and abilities.
    • [New: DONE] UAVs Survey Vehicles (Survey – Aero): product removed for now.
    • [New: DONE] Utility Fog Scout (Survey – Swarm Antigrav): product removed for now.
  • Time Flow System (TFS) / Tasks Subsystem
    • [New: NOT DEV] addition of a new task: planetary exploration. It includes all its specific data and its full process.
  • Unified Resolution System (URES)
    • [New: DONE] implementation of the concept of hardcoded abilities with their base difficulties, that can be used by any active unit.
    • [New: DONE] the test is expanded as follow. Characteristic vs ability efficiency of the active unit in this ability + experience.
    • [New: DONE] addition of abilities (into a specific XML file for starting values + hardcoded): survey-geological, survey-features & artifacts, survey-biological.

Sorry for the lack of updates, I know it has been a long time but I had to finalize / fix certain design hurdles and take some decisions, which took time. But my goal to release the current version by the end of April stays as it is.

As you can see in the status above, many new steps, other than the PES itself, are in WIP. It is because I also started to work in these fields in FARC, by incidence of working on the planetary exploration system and also because of bugs I seen by myself.

Anyway the design is fully completed, the days of work of it were about the adjustments and modifications of the survey vehicles; I had to redesign and normalize the characteristics and abilities compared to the technologies used and the specific missions for each vehicle.
Also, the crew management, in regard of colony’s population, is using multispecies rules now. All is automated, the player will not have to do anything manually for it (outside to be sure to have enough population in specific categories that are required by the PES).

I also implemented the PES’ window and the user’s interface elements start to populating it. I have not much problems so far but  I badly need to work on it.

That’s it for now, thanks for your interest, and stay tuned!

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by farcodev

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Very interested in this PES system and how you implement it, it definitely seems like that will be a huge chunk of work for you. But the one thing you do notice.... there is more green than orange in your list that means maybe a beta release sometime soon? 🙂

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

Yes the PES is the last biggest bit of the current dev version. Once done, the rest is mostly UI (option and message log windows), maybe another star system, and fairly small updates for infrastructures and so on.

I did not much the past 2 weeks because I resintalled Fallout 4 and modded it... hehe. But yep, I pushing the dev of it because it was planned that the release of the current version will be by the end of April. I have time but I must work every day on it until done.
Anyway the design of the PES is done out of a few details.

I have no screenshot of the PES window itself yet since it in WIP; I haven't finished to add components in the central section of the window to setup and configure an expedition.

Basically it in 3 parts:

-left part with the list of elligible vehicles for an expedition, the currently selected colony has

-central top part for the setup of a new expedition and to configure a currently existing one.

-central bottom part for the status of planetary survey for the currently selected orbital object

-right top part for the list of existing expeditions on the field

-right bottom part for the list of all the survey units a selected expedition has.

I put the interface into a window since the player will be able to access to any planetary survey for any of its colonies (not only for the colony of the focused orbital object in the 3D view). So it is pretty unified.

For now you need to have a colony and a populated or automated settlement (I will implement an expansion of the types of settlements in the next version) to start a survey.

In the future, when I will integrate (artificial) satellites, stations, and other orbital structures, I will integrate missions for the space units (including the spacecrafts) to process a survey (more of a surface mapping / features survey) of a planet/asteroid from its orbit, without the need to have a colony already on it. But it's not for a certain time, even if it is planned before the 1.0.

This post was modified 1 year ago 6 times by farcodev

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

[dev notice] Basic Interface for New Expedition Nearly Done + Expeditions Data Implementation (WIP)

The basic interface to set up a new expedition is nearly done and there is already a partial data integration and setup of the expeditions.

The current parts to do include adding a few information feedback for the player concerning the potential resources spots that can be found in a region and also to add the possibility to use the linked local surface panel to select a target region for the expedition. For now it is possible to select one in the PES window itself via a combo box, but I will add this local surface option to help the players that want to have acces to more informations for a target region (like the current weather for example). The two ways will stay possible.
The PES window exists to allow the player to set/modify any expedition for any of its colonies without to have painfully browse through the 3D and the local surface. A HUD button on the 3D view (linked to a keyboard shortcut) will always be available to access the PES. For now I can only acces to it via the local surface panel.

The last part is to expand the user’s interface for addition/deletion of vehicles/cyberhsells (the whole called survey units) into/from an expedition and the setup framework will be complete.

Of course the work also include the data integration of the new expeditions data structures in the game and preparing them to be implemented in the tasks system of the game.

The final work will be to implement anything about the geological survey and its process over the time via the existing tasks system.

The release by the end of April seems to be compromised, but I keep trying to work everyday on it even a bit. This week off certainly helped to speed up the development.

Enough talk, here are two WIP screenshots:

The first when the PES window is opened just after a new game and the first player’s colony is founded.

It looks pretty empty, but the list on the top right will contain existing expeditions for all the colonies of the player, so obviously after a new game there isn’t any. The function of the bottom right list is to display the survey units of a selected expedition.
The central top contains the main interface to setup (and later edit) an expedition. One part is hidden and you can see it on the second screenshot below.
The central bottom is WIP for now; I will put centralized informations about the different exploration status of the selected orbital object in the PES.
The list on the left contains all the eligible vehicles / cybershells, the colony have in storage, that can carry out an expedition.

Here’s the second screenshot when “New Expedition” is clicked and some elements of it are set (like the type of survey for example).

That doesn’t seems much but it’s a certain amount of work (and complete “pleasure”) to work on UI.

Anyway back to work, tomorrow I will get back on dev after my day job.

Geraldine liked
ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

@farcodev

I like the nice clean look of this UI Farcodev. Everything you need in easy to find screens. 😊 

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

@Geraldine  Thanks!

In the center bottom part there will be more information about the current expedition; like if it is compatible with the region's distance and so on. When no expedition is selected it will display general info about all the ongoing / completed surveys for the designated colony's orbital object.

I try to provide the most feedback I can, FARC is already obscure as it is hehe 😎

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

[dev update] PES Base User’s Interface (DONE) – PES Data Integration with the Task System (WIP)

Status of the work of May 03, for this 0.6.18 version:

• [DONE]  FARC Universe Generator (FUG) updates and improvements.
  • [WIP] Infrastructure Reliability and Integrity + Integration with the WEAGES.
  • [WIP] Planetary Features & Artefacts; basic addition and generation.
  • [] Small CSM updates.
  • [] Options Window.
  • [WIP] General Improvements of the User’s Interface.
  • [WIP] Various Bug Fixes.
  • [] Knowledge Base – Session Update
  • Entities / Planetary Exloration System
    • [New: WIP] total rework of the sub-data structure concerning the expeditions for planetary exploration.
    • [New: DONE] expeditions can now have specific/custom names. It’s a player feature only (not game AI one). It can be relevant since a planetary exploration can last fairly long.
  • Graphics
    • [NOT DEV => WIP] creation of icons for the HUD button that allows access to the planetary exploration window.
  • Interface – General

• [New: DONE] multiple updates for unified initialization of the UI components.
  • Interface / Planetary Exploration

• [WIP => DONE] the planetary exploration system is now in its own window and not a panel anymore.
    • [WIP => DONE] total rework of the user’s interface by using the new window.
  • Interface / Population

• [New: DONE] fix: the panel opens correctly when an object is focused with a colony and the settlement panel is openened directly.
  • Interface / Settlements

• [New: DONE] fix: the panel opens correctly when an object is focused with a colony and the settlement panel is openened directly.
  • Planetary Exploration system (PES)

• [WIP => DONE] removal of the current survey vehicles’ capabilities and replacement by characteristics and abilities fully compatible with the new Unified Resolution System (URES).
  • Settlements
    • [New: DONE] implementation of the base data structures and their initialization about the logistic of the settlements. More precisely; through the Projection Capability and the Logistics Channels.
  • Time Flow System (TFS)
    • [NOT DEV => WIP] addition of a new task: planetary exploration. It includes all its specific data and its full process.
  • Universe
    • [New: DONE] discovered resource spots are now located in the resource spots’ data structure of each regions, and not in the entities’ data structure.
    • [New: DONE] discovered resources spots have now an additional data to indicate the size of each discovered spot.
    • [New: DONE] exploration status /progress data are move from the entities to the resource spots’ data structure, and they are totaly revamped to support the three types of survey.

The base interface to set up an expedition is finally done, crash tested and fully working…
It has been a bit of pain since I use new user’s interface components and not all goes as you would like or so. Anyway it is done, and the good thing is that what I learnt and coded will be 100% useful for post alpha 10 when I will make the space units  designer in the alpha 11. It will use about the same elements of interface.

Obviously there will be no release by the end of April since we are already in May, so I shut my mouth and symply continuing to dev the game.

Base interface by default
New expedition with the survey type already set and a random region
What happen when the player click on one available survey unit
And when it is double-clicked a full panel is sliding for the right. It will be populated with more informations in the future, for now it is enough to setup an expedition

From now I will start to work on the task system by setting up a new task to process a geological survey.

I will also populate information feedback on the central bottom part of the PES window, with informations about the expedition and how it will run (with travel distance to the survey site and so on).

I JUST SEEN THAT I ALSO FORGOT TO IMPLEMENT THE GENERAL FEEDBACK ABOUT THE POTENTIAL RESOURCES SPOTS THE SELECTED REGION CONTAINS! (in the central top part of the interface)

Yep, I typed it in caps because I just seen it… Anyway I’m going to do it.

When the new task and the data transfer will be complete, I will implement the process of the geological survey itself. That will imply less time wasted doing user’s interface and finally more under the hood stuff. The mass of calculations and tables will be in the game… finally.

Of course I will have to work, in the end, on the user’s interface of the Local Surface Panel to display the discovered resources spots and so on.

Fun and delays, as usual.

Thanks for your interest.

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

DarkOne, You can close now the threads about FAR Colony if you want, there will be no other updates.
Thanks for your interest, and hosting, for all these years! 😎 

last post from my website:
"

FAR Colony Project is Ended

The decision has been taken today to definitely terminate FARC.

There are some reasons for it, but the main one is that this hobby project never got anywhere in  nearly 11 years (by August 9) which is, even for a non-professional video game, a bit silly.
As said there are a few other reasons but I will state only this one.

As for the design documents, maybe I will update them from time to time as a side activity or I will archive them and be done with it. Obviously I will not erase 11 years of work, especially since I have no regrets for having done it for all these years.

As for information; the main design document is formatted with very small margins (0.50cm) and weight 553 pages of which 775 tables are included in it.
Of course there are also many spreadsheet documents beside the main doc.

This website will also be terminated on tuesday/wednesday 28/29 of the current month, before that my next billing session triggers.

I want to thank any of you who followed this project, and the few who posted comments.

Cheers.

"

This post was modified 1 year ago 4 times by farcodev

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Posted by: @farcodev

The decision has been taken today to definitely terminate FARC.

Sorry to hear this news Farcodev, I have watched Far Colony grow over time from a thought to what it is currently. But I definitely understand, the Far Colony project I am sure has consumed thousands of hours for you over the years and only you are the best judge of your own time.

I have read through some of your documentation and it was really well written, I looked at the time that has been taken to build Far Colony was simply because you were very methodical in your method and were focused on attention to detail and you could definitely see that in what you have wrote over the years and in the alpha demo's of Far Colony.

So I hope one day you might pick this up again and finish your passion for the last 10yrs, I know it has to be tough walking away from something you invested so much into. But we all have lives as well and we have to live them, that I very much understand.

Hope you still visit the station and chill out with this old bunch of pilots from time-to-time 😉

I will note delete any threads on Far Colony unless you request it specifically, its all about the history and FARC has been around almost as long as SSC and I think its the oldest active thread on SSC (so thats a accomplishment in itself)

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Aye, that is sad - but understandable. But never say never, amigo!

The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train!

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

For sure you have watched it and always been a good supporter, alongside with Geraldine. I can only thank you for that! 😎 

The problem is that even as a hobby, when it's for a video game something must comes out, and frankly after 37 years since I started learning to dev I'm starting to losing interest to code, especially since I'm already in front of the computer for my day job...
And it's not possible to achieve what I want with the few hours a week I put on it. I would have to blow all my free time in front of screens to make something meaningful, like working (for real) 15/20hrs a week, and frankly even as a old geek I have enough of it.

That doesn't mean I will stop to code ever, but for now and since a few months I lost the drive of it.

Also, the recent insane "events" around in the world doesn't pushes me to contribute to it anymore, even for only a video game.
Again, I get enough of the whole virtual insanity anywhere and that's the red line to me. We only have only one life and it gets shorter every year. I know, it's maybe sounds like a good excuse but it is what it is.

I have read through some of your documentation and it was really well written, I looked at the time that has been taken to build Far Colony was simply because you were very methodical in your method and were focused on attention to detail and you could definitely see that in what you have wrote over the years and in the alpha demo's of Far Colony.

Thank you. I will see if I continue to update the documents as a side hobby, as said in my post.

So I hope one day you might pick this up again and finish your passion for the last 10yrs, I know it has to be tough walking away from something you invested so much into. But we all have lives as well and we have to live them, that I very much understand.

Yes exactly, it is tough but necessary. At least by respect for the few people who followed this project over the time. Including you.

Hope you still visit the station and chill out with this old bunch of pilots from time-to-time 😉

Of course, SSC is a old home to me 😉 

I will note delete any threads on Far Colony unless you request it specifically, its all about the history and FARC has been around almost as long as SSC and I think its the oldest active thread on SSC (so thats a accomplishment in itself)

I have no problem with it, again thank you for your everlasting support of it.

This post was modified 1 year ago by farcodev

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @cody

Aye, that is sad - but understandable. But never say never, amigo!

Haha yeah, never be absolute like a Sith! lol.

Thank you, I appreciate it! 😉 😎 

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

On the other hand I will take 2 -5 hours max in a week to update the design documents, at least to make FARC 1.0 complete (ie all its core modules) even if it's in "paper"... Many parts that aren't coded are advanced, some others needs work.

If one day I achieve that I will publish the docs freely, and people will do whatever they want with it.

Il will see....

ReplyQuote
D.C.Elington
(@d-c-elington)
Warrant Officer Registered

Congrats for your hard work, and for sure it will help you enjoy what comes next all the better! 👍

ReplyQuote
farcodev
(@farcodev)
Lieutenant Registered
Topic starter  

@d-c-elington  A BIG thanks to you! 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 14