Page 1 / 3

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Project: Far Colony

Version: 0.60.298 Alpha

Download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=75664

I couldn't seem to find a forum for this site but the last update was in Sept 2008 so it looks like it is still being working on. i haven't had time to load this up and test it out, but the concept sounds good and it is not a space combat sim it is a planet colonization style game. Screenshots of the progress look good and I hope they get around to finishing the game or least getting it out of it's Alpha state.

Here is the game info from there website:

Quote:

FAR Colony (First Autonomous Remote Colony) is a game of exploration and space colonization at the beginning of 23rd century.

The objective is, in the first phase of the play, to establish a small colony on a indicated planet. It will be necessary to face the characteristics of planet itself, because mainly the ecosystems similar to the Earth are not legions in the universe of FAR Colony, and to manage the technical and human problems which result from this. It will be also necessary to set up a viable economic system for avoid to the maximum to request some support from the space power of origin of the colony.

Later in a second phase, according to the success of the colonization, all is more or less possible: to create a small community confined within its planetary system, to try to build a new space power, or to explore other worlds for colonize them. There is no really specific line to follow compared with the first phase of the play.

If the phase of establishment is a failure, the colony will become a simple "province" of the faction of origin, or in the worst case dismantled.

Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

I've never heard of this one but it sounds intruiging. Sometimes I don't want TECHNICOLOUR SPACEWAR!!! I just want a slow-paced, serene adventure in space. Colonising and developing planets sounds just right. Hopefully the devs haven't forgotten about this one and can deliver something playable before we all die of old age. 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Stardreamer wrote:
Hopefully the devs haven't forgotten about this one and can deliver something playable before we all die of old age.

Far Colony definitely has some promise but there hasn't been any code additions or changes in over a year. I hope the project isn't dead, I just haven't had the time to contact the developer and find out for a fact.

And welcome to SSC Stardreamer, enjoy!

ReplyQuote
Gargantou
(@gargantou)
Petty Officer Registered

Wrong, the game is still actively being developed, even though the dev haven't updated the game's website, check out here.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/farcolony/

If you go down to Project Feed, you'll note the last revision he made was today, so the project's still going strong by all means!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Gargantou wrote:
Wrong, the game is still actively being developed, even though the dev haven't updated the game's website, check out here.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/farcolony/

If you go down to Project Feed, you'll note the last revision he made was today, so the project's still going strong by all means!

It looks like it is being developed on because of this:

Quote:

Prototype Final stage

The prototype has entered in it's final stage of development, the threaded game timer is already implemented, the rest will follow. I don't make any release before it's completed.

You had to go to his profile to find that info. I had to do some digging to find it but it does look like development is progressing. But there is still no updated download of Far Colony. I was going to contact the developer and see if he wants to drop in and chat about the game.

ReplyQuote
Gargantou
(@gargantou)
Petty Officer Registered

I already contacted him too, I'm hoping to be able to get an estimate on when he hopes for the game to be feature complete(Which means all features etc are implemented, but bugs etc has to be ironed out, in other words, beta phase), probably hard for him to estimate but I'm hoping maybe 2-3 years!

I think the concept is probably one of the most unique sci-fi concepts I've ever come across.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

The developer got back to me on the status of Far Colony and it is still under development. It's just going through a total rewrite right now. Far Colony is coming along and we should see a rough alpha of FC soon.

Here is some notes on what has been done since July:

Quote:

0.1.2========================================================================================

[ ] 2009-XX-XX code cleanup and optimizations

[ ] 2009-XX-XX system crash and proto validation

[ ] 2009-XX-XX make an about box w/ name-ver and credits (incl menu)

[ ] 2009-XX-XX create the game data processing thread and link it with the game timer

[ ] 2009-XX-XX create interplanetary transit mission

[ ] 2009-XX-XX implement a messaging system + welcome message

[-] 2009-09-XX implementation of tasklist data structure

[-] 2009-09-XX spacecraft popup menu

[x] 2009-09-20 .14,107 lines implement selection routine for spacecraft (w/ keyboard only for now) + camera target, zoom and animation tweaks

[x] 2009-09-19 .13,997 lines implement space units in orbit of planet displayed in 3d view

[x] 2009-09-17 .13,784 lines 3d object spacecraft optimization + routine for display s/c in main view + camera target and zoom

[x] 2009-09-15 .13,676 lines update new game setting routine for include dotation list and starting location

[x] 2009-09-15 add an inOrbit sub datastructure for each orbital object and use it in new game setting

[x] 2009-09-14 .13,612 lines create a gravity sphere influence 3d circle in local star view

[x] 2009-09-13 .13,514 lines update new game settings window w/ dotation list

[x] 2009-09-12 .13,320 lines update faction xml with dotation list and starting locations list

[x] 2009-09-12 expand faction data structure with dotation list and starting locations list

[x] 2009-09-10 .13,220 lines orbits display + star blur effect

[x] 2009-09-08 ..4,900 lines load routine for s/c data

[x] 2009-09-08 s/c design and internal structure xml files creation

[x] 2009-09-06 ..4,629 lines create s/c owned data struc w/ loc x/y/z + inorbit and other things

[x] 2009-09-06 create unitloctostarview convert (/20)

[x] 2009-09-06 create common function for round all double values (all concentrated to one function

[x] 2009-09-06 ..4,514 lines display local date and time in 3d view and update it

[x] 2009-09-02 ..5,371 lines implement main timer in a thread

0.1.1========================================================================================

[x] 2009-09-01 ..5,353 lines orbital object selection w/ keyboard

[x] 2009-08-31 ..5,478 lines 3d view init w/ local system (display only planets w/o textures)

[x] 2009-08-27 basic rotation w/ mouse + test cameracontroller

[x] 2009-08-23 decide the scale of the 3d world (1 unit =...) for x/y/z

[x] 2009-08-23 implement player's data structure and initialize it a start of a game

[x] 2009-08-23 routine for load the xml of faction and universe

[x] 2009-08-23 ** Lazarus to Delphi project conversion (Lazarus is dropped) **

[x] 2009-08-13 addition of XML data files (for faction + universe)

[x] 2009-08-11 set name + commit

[x] 2009-08-09 new game core routine and unit

[x] 2009-08-09 populate new game setting window w/ a test faction

[x] 2009-08-08 new game ui framework

[x] 2009-08-02 basic option panel w/ language option + menu

[x] 2009-08-02 intro ui (only bckg + menu )

[x] 2009-07-29 subroutine for load / save the configuration + localization file

[x] 2009-07-27 basic data structures + path initialization w/ Win/Linux detection

[x] 2009-07-19 basic user's interface.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Thanks for dropping in farcodev. Hope to see a post soon telling us that an Alpha/Beta is ready for some testing and feedback.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

I'm very excited by this game of yours, Farcodev, and would like to welcome you to the boards in my sub-official capacity as secretary of the Official Honorary Fan Appreciation of Real Talent society, or O.H.F.A.R.T for short.

I know we're all really looking forward to getting our grubby mitts on some workable code so anything you need from us, just ask. If you need me to wear a ra-ra skirt and wave glittery pom-poms for you, pm me and I'll consider it. 😉

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Stardreamer wrote:
I'm very excited by this game of yours, Farcodev, and would like to welcome you to the boards in my sub-official capacity as secretary of the Official Honorary Fan Appreciation of Real Talent society, or O.H.F.A.R.T for short.

😆 😆 😆

That brillerent Stardreamer.really cheered me up.

I think you star a new thread titled The ANNUAL O.H.F.A.R.T AWARDS.

keep up the work Farcodev it intersting to see where you go with this.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Farcodev I know this is a rewrite of older code. But how many lines of code was in your original project compared to this one and have you been able to at least keep most of the code intact just optimize it a bit?

And Stardreamer made me smile when I read O.H.F.A.R.T comment 🙂 I might have to craft you a special title just for that and maybe create a area to talk about special matters of discusing developers/individuals with talent.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

farcodev

Noticed in your last screenshot you had html abilities to your message box. Is this message box meant for just in-game messages or is this like a status box that covers updates/website info and more?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
farcodev wrote:
I'm working the interplanetary transit mission right now, including interface and processing thread.

Actual missions or the mechanics behind moving from system to system?

farcodev wrote:
It's a bit slower because i prepare an exam in life insurance these days, but it's ok 🙂

Oh that should be easy... person buys policy - person dies - beneficiaries get $$$. Test done. 😆

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
farcodev wrote:
Ok some updates:

my life insurance exam has been a sucess (what hu...it's not important ? ok 😯 😥 😆 )

Important... heck yeah pays the bills so Farcodev can keep plugging away on his project 🙂

farcodev wrote:
basic data: distance, space drive isp, space drive thrust / volume of drive, current reaction mass volume, current deltaV, origin escape velocity and destination escape velocity.

rough calculation phases:

1/ the max usable reaction mass volume for the transit, regarding distance, current deltaV, space drive performance

1.a/ the volume of reaction mass choosed by the player is taken in account (4 levels: min level/ slow transit vel/ medium transit / fast transit)

2/ calculation of time to reach cruise deltaV + distance

3/ calculation of time to reach destination orbit deltaV + distance

4/ calculation of cruise distance + cruise time

5/ calculation of total time

I never knew this much math and calculations went into making ships move . Guess my aspirations of some day making a game are quickly dissolving for the simple fact that I suck at math or least the tough stuff 🙂 I always thought they put in thrusters/afterburners or like in X series time delay to make you go faster. Is Far Colony going to use realistic time frames and not have an trip from Earth to Jupiter in 10 secs, instead have to be longer?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
farcodev wrote:
Ok "normally" i will release the prototype on saturday 😕

There might be something in our future....

Darkone wrote:
But trip themselves are realistic yep, if you try to make a 2 AU transit w/ a spacecraft which has chemical propulsion i whish you good luck

Are you going to have a 'green' solution to space flight Farcodev? :)Make that take 2x as long as chemical.... serves them right you need POWER and as much fuel you can feed the engines.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Is that a lot of code for creating the engine mechanics/propulsion? I know from your last post and the different engine/ship types you have to take into account each ships engine capabilities and and then distance between waypoints/systems.

I guess that job of yours comes in handy, your good with numbers. 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Excellent work farcodev. Personally think the project is moving quite fast for a one man operation and all the RL stuff. Oh the far colony homepage is starting to shape up to http://farcolony.sourceforge.net/index.html

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Nice to see this progress Farcodev.

Not sure if it is me using it wrong but I see an issue with the following:

1. If you have the ship selected or in context you cannot use the right/middle mouse button camera views. If you un-select the ship you can use the camera views on the planets/asteroids without issue.

2. Space Unit Menu - Seem to have difficulties canceling mission

3. Does the 'Orbital Object Menu' function yet?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I forgot to mention that when my ship was flying to a asteroid and I pressed 'c' to speed things up, the screen flickered a bit during this process. But besides that ship made it to it's destination. Now i was in windowed mode when this occurred so this could have something to do with it.

But framework all-in-all seems pretty stable.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Like the changes Farcodev.

We'll we be able to edit xml files in the 'text' folder to add content to the game?

Here is a few things I have seen with the alpha:

- If I start a new game and try to type in 'darkone' it will bring me back to title screen. It does this soon as I type 'da'. But made the user 'qwerty' and that worked. Kind of strange there.

- Interplanetary Transit popup right at the top of the box you see 'FCV3dMVorbObjSlctd: 2'

- About page displays correctly. But in Windows Mode the about page seems to appear in the same place and not on the actual game screen.

- Far Colony splash screen graphics look great in windows mode, but once I go full screen it is stretched and blurred just a little bit. I know my resolution is a bit high at 1920x1080.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
farcodev wrote:
- About page displays correctly. But in Windows Mode the about page seems to appear in the same place and not on the actual game screen.

I really don't see what is the problem 😯 can you provide a screenshot ?

I will try to take some screenshots tonight. But basically if you are in full screen mode it will appear in the middle. And when I go into windowed mode and lets say I move the game window around to the right of screen. Now I click about and it will not be on the game screen itself it will be on the desktop instead or is that the expected result?

Another thing I noticed with the about and only an opinion is the scrolling of the credits. Personally I think the credit header is top and if you scroll through the credits it should stop at the last line and if you scroll up it should go past the first entry. I know this is nit picking. But its the QA engineer in me to point those out 🙂

ReplyQuote
Sirian
(@sirian)
Crewman Registered

Hi, i'm having trouble with a "Characters are too large or too many" error message when clicking the "proceed" button. I tried installing the fonts but i still have the same problem. I use Windows XP sp3, with a core 2 duo E8400, 2Go ram and a Geforce 9800 GTX (1600*1200 screen resolution).

Other than that, i'm very interested in this project and i really look forward to it, i'm also french and i have a similar project, but mine would be a 2D browser game (i'm still not sure if i will be motivated enough to finish it).

Anyway, you have my support, and i hope i will be able to play your game soon.

ReplyQuote
Sirian
(@sirian)
Crewman Registered

Thanks for the fast answer, the new .exe worked, well i wasn't able to do anything except rotating and zooming the view, but i guess thats what you were referring to by "missing data on 3d view" ^^.

So... i'll be waiting for this weekend and the new snapshot

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Been a while Farcodev, have any updates?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Great update Farcodev. Looks like v0.1.5 bring colonies to the game 🙂

Are you planning to integrate those models from solcommand into FC?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3