Clear all

FFE3D - Diff level

Snowmane
(@snowmane)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Any way to make the game a little easy?

or

Any advanced combat tactics? (strafe is posible?)

I played about 8-10 hours and make some credits... my ship is always being attaked for bad guys 😥

Thanks!

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Head to sol then do the barnard star sol run to make some money

have a look here for some tips on the game.

http://www.jades.org/ffefaq2.htm

ReplyQuote
Snowmane
(@snowmane)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  
PINBACK wrote:
Head to sol then do the barnard star sol run to make some money

have a look here for some tips on the game.

http://www.jades.org/ffefaq2.htm

Nice FAQ, thanks 😀

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Yes, strafing is possible, and quite necessary for survival i'd say!

You can use numpad keys to strafe. Look in the jjffe.cfg file to see the manual thruster controls.

If you want to use a different set of key, like your favorite FPS controls (as I do), you can install a program called AutoHotkey. This lets you run simple scripts that change the function of your keys. For example:

Code:
#IfWinActive ahk_class FFED3D ;ensures the following hotkeys function only in FFED3D
w::Numpad4 ;Strafe Up
s::Numpad1 ;Strafe Down
a::Numpad7 ;Strafe Left
d::Numpad9 ;Strafe Right
CapsLock::Numpad8 ;Forward Thrust
LShift::Numpad5 ;Backward Thrust
q::[ ;Rotate Left
e::] ;Rotate Right
Space::e ;Activate ECM
MButton::Esc ;Pause with middle mouse button
#IfWinActive

ReplyQuote
Snowmane
(@snowmane)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Wow... thanks... you save my ass 😆

I use a NeetBook and rebind my keys is necessary and the best choice.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

be happy it is that way, like all things it will become easier after you get more experienced 😉

some wish it would be harder 😯

frontier is no one afternoon runthrough, of course

that's why some are really addicted to and others think that it's the most boring game.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

Quote:
If you want to use a different set of key, like your favorite FPS controls (as I do), you can install a program called AutoHotkey. This lets you run simple scripts that change the function of your keys. For example:

Scowie? Rather than go to the trouble of using Autohotkey can you not just edit jjffe.cfg to the keys you prefer?

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

The keys bindings in jjffe.cfg don't seem to work, the only setting in jjffe.cfg that works is the timer setting. So for now that autokey app is the best bet.

With Autokey, I use ESDF keys for thrusters WR for roll Q for ECM and CAPS + \ for forward and revers thrust.

If I use WASD keys my ship always wants to pitch down when I press A, so I dont use those set of keys.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)

s20dan wrote:
The keys bindings in jjffe.cfg don't seem to work, the only setting in jjffe.cfg that works is the timer setting. So for now that autokey app is the best bet.

With Autokey, I use ESDF keys for thrusters WR for roll Q for ECM and CAPS + \ for forward and revers thrust.

If I use WASD keys my ship always wants to pitch down when I press A, so I dont use those set of keys.

I'll have to give AHK a try. It I've used it for a while now at work but I never thought it would come in handy here at home.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

i use a logitech dual stick, keyboard? auto hot key? amusing 😆

in fact, keyboard/mouse use in ffe sometimes in battles, but not often, especially not when it gets hot.

every possible flight maneuvre at both thumbs (even rolls), what do you want more. i use a similar setup like for a copter, left stick controls dive/climb roll l/r, right stick strafe up/dwn l/r (if possible at all, some ships have no full manual control), accel/decel with front triggers, in battle mode. roll l/r changes to turn l/r (common manner) in nav mode, toggle between with a predef. button. it might be a bit confusing in the beginning but after a while you wont miss. and if you like you can use left or right stick as trigger for your gun, so you won't have to move your thumb from the stick to fire or assign it to the second set of the front triggers, like i do (tentacles would be good instead of fingers).

disclaimer:

i'm not responsible for any twisted or broken finger or hand bones, you did it at your own risk.

even i'm not responsible for by abuse of joystick destroyed any kinda screens or any other commodities, heads and parts of your or third parties bodies.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)

potsmoke66 wrote:
i use a logitech dual stick, keyboard? auto hot key? amusing 😆

😆

Humblest apologies, my lord. It must be greatly troubling for you to see how we poor peasants live, having to use our keyboards for flight sims. I shall take my scruffy, poor self out of your sight at once, lest it ruin your glorious day!

(bows, runs away)

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Hehe. I hadn't thought to use a pad with this game, sounds pretty handy, might have to get the 360 pad out for flying about. But you cant beat a mouse for accuracy I'm a deadeye in my Asp with a 4MW 😉

Edit//

Just finished a little GlovePie script for FFED3D. Its for an xbox360 pad, but the names in the script can be changed for any other twin joystick pad.

It wont let me attach the file because of the extension, so here it is in Code tags for anyone who wants to try it out. Just load it up with GlovePie:

Code:
// FFED3D Script by Dan

// RIGHT JOYSTICK ******
//

if (-1.2 < xbox360.Joy2X < -0.5) {
key.NUMPAD7 = 1
}
if (-0.5 < xbox360.Joy2X < -0.0) {
key.NUMPAD7 = 0
}

if (0.5 < xbox360.Joy2X < 1.2) {
key.NUMPAD9 = 1
}

if (0.0 < xbox360.Joy2X < 0.5) {
key.NUMPAD9 = 0
}

if (-1.2 < xbox360.Joy2Y < -0.5) {
key.NUMPAD1 = 1
}
if (-0.5 < xbox360.Joy2Y < -0.0) {
key.NUMPAD1 = 0
}

if (0.5 < xbox360.Joy2Y < 1.2) {
key.NUMPAD4 = 1
}

if (0.0 < xbox360.Joy2Y < 0.5) {
key.NUMPAD4 = 0
}

// END RIGHT JOYSTICK **
//************************

// NO NEED FOR LEFT JOYSTICK
// USE FFEWIN.CFG TO CONFIGURE
// LEFT JOYSTICK

// BUTTONS ************
//

Shift + key.F1 = xbox360.Start
Esc = xbox360.Back

M = xbox360.Y
//Space = xbox360.A
E = xbox360.X
//Tab = xbox360.B
LeftBracket = xbox360.LeftShoulder
RightBracket = xbox360.RightShoulder

F1 = xbox360.LeftThumb
F2 = xbox360.RightThumb

// THROTTLE

Return = xbox360.RightTrigger
RightShift = xbox360.LeftTrigger

F5 = xbox360.Down
Tab = xbox360.Left
L = xbox360.Right
U = xbox360.Up

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

truely, joystic control isn't very good in fe/ffe. mouse use offers much more precision, but use for a logitech the button commands instead analogue control, this works fine, because modern joystick software controls the input of the emulated keyboard and delay it a bit so you will have in some old games a better feel of control with the emulated buttons compared to analog control.

also i have to say, i started playing fe2 on cd32, so use of a joypad/stick is very common to me for it and it took me a whilr to get comfortable with the mouse/keyboard use on pc.

a guess; i think it would be nice to have a console version of any of the ffe versions, even for old psx. reason why, an old friend (i'ts true) has still and only old psx to play (i think, if he still lives). but he falls in love with the game almost like i did.

it would be more than just a big surprise for him to play fe2/ffe on his rotten box (if something like that is possible at all).

ReplyQuote
Zardoz
(@zardoz)
Crewman Registered

Try Captain Zardoz' emergency combat 'tactic' if you are still a lousy pilot so as I am:

Keep on rollin'!

When the combat starts, I begin to roll - and won't stop till end of combat! The rest is mostly ordinary 'jousting'. Well, sometimes I change direction - it's difficult not to fall off the chair because of giddiness when there are more opponents... 😐

This simple 'tactic' helped me to start my career as a smuggler in semi-dangeraous systems instead of trading fruits in Sol ... At least the not so well armed wannabe pirates know now that there is another wacky wannabe out there in space! 😎

The mentioned program (AutoHotkey) is extremly usefull. Perhaps it would do well in the FAQ?

(I hope my English is somewhat understandable ... :/ )

ReplyQuote