Notifications
Clear all

FFE3D own thargoid ship campaign fixed?

colmaniac
(@colmaniac)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hi, since playing the FE back in 95 with the bugs has the missions to get the Thargoid ship fixed?

The problem I had was/seemed to be around killing the spy satellites with the military torpedo, on getting the ship I just kept on getting attacked trying to fly to a station, as soon as I clicked to max speed x5 i think the alarm would sound and a ship would attack, as soon as I destroyed it and clicked on x5 same thing happened, so flying to a station from the jump point went from 3 mins flight time to a near impossibility, or 3 to 4 hrs flying at a low game speed boost x2 or x3.

I got the science magazines  to keep an eye out for the mission to get that ship with the class 4 military drive, (sorry cant remember the ships name too long ago) as soon as the article came up I wentt to the system and docked, waited for the thing to come up and paid for the most expensive ticket therefor starting the campaign,  I had the ship and mission to search for I belive to remember was the last location of the original ship but you only find the data tape,  I think you had to destroy the spy satellite too, but cant remember.  on getting the data, flew back with the report, I did a small cheat on keeping the ship by buying a cheep ship, sent report lost that ship I just bought then bought the new ship with that class 4 drive, I then did the next part to find an unknown base several hundred LY from civilisation, to which I found of course it was the thargiod base, I did several missions to aquire the thargoid ship, but from there I had problems as described eariler, constant attacks.

I believe I didn't destroy  one of the satellites on a previous mission as I couldnt be bothered at the time, so I think this caused the problem.

Thanks

P.S I tried again with this new 3d version but I missed the deadline by a day or 2 to get to the "conference" for that ship, also didnt prev save in advance so I just gave up and didnt try again

colmaniac
(@colmaniac)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Anyone?

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

tbh the same issues that were in FFE and were not fixed by JJFFE still persist to this day - GLFFE and the original FFED3D build wrap JJFFE.

There is a fundamental bug with missions in FFE where the base or assassination target does not always get generated due to too many other objects, so the player does need to save before accepting any missions really - at very least before hyperspacing into the system as that's when the targets are typically generated. If you hyperspace into a system with a base to destroy - check straight away and if it or the satellite is missing, reload and try again.

If the targets are there though, you will be able to see them on the planet/orbit as dots now. Oh and you do need to have a NUCLEAR missile to destroy the satellite, normally this is only gained via accepting a military mission, but if all else fails - cheat with Buffet to gift yourself one as finding these missions can take forever on the bulletin boards!

I also had the exact same issues as you when I played the end missions 'back in the day'. I think I probably didn't even know that there was a satellite to ruin the game if not destroyed and was hounded by assassins for evermore afterwards. Sadly I have a 6 month playing gap in save games between the end missions and the previous point (there's probably a floppy-disc with game backups lost somewhere!) but I guess it'll be more fun to start over and re-live the whole game over once more than picking up again after such a long time. If you have a save game and are missing arriving for a deadline by a few days then Buffet might also enable you to turn back the date a little before hyperspacing to let you achieve the target date.

ReplyQuote
colmaniac
(@colmaniac)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

I also had the exact same issues as you when I played the end missions 'back in the day'. I think I probably didn't even know that there was a satellite to ruin the game if not destroyed and was hounded by assassins for evermore afterwards. Sadly I have a 6 month playing gap in save games between the end missions and the previous point (there's probably a floppy-disc with game backups lost somewhere!) but I guess it'll be more fun to start over and re-live the whole game over once more than picking up again after such a long time. If you have a save game and are missing arriving for a deadline by a few days then Buffet might also enable you to turn back the date a little before hyperspacing to let you achieve the target date.

I figured  I missed a satellite, though at the time I couldn't be bothered to find them "thinking it was a waste of time".  To get to that point in the game took ages I mean weeks not days or hours lol.  I later found doing a new game (useing commadore amida A600+ at the time 🙂 ), then getting the pc version when I could afford a pc, wow 150mhz, 16mb ram, soundblaster 32bit and 100mb or so HD all for £1200, I managed to find a quicker way of racking up credits via Sol system and that forbiden system only with a permit up north of Sol delivering elligal cargo, racking up mill credits at a time, and didnt take long to get to the mission in question.  That time I know where I went wrong, succeeded, as soon as I got the thargoid ship, retured to sol, bang! messed up and screwed up my save files Grrrr lol.  I tried again as the new Gfx version came out but as I said I missed the deadline to get there, too quick for with this pc, insdead of days, took amatter of hours lol.

ReplyQuote