Notifications
Clear all

FFED3D Beginner Questions

nanite2000
(@nanite2000)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

I recently discovered this project having played Frontier: Elite 20 years ago. I'm amazed at the amount of work that has been put into this project - thank you!

I have a few questions about the game:

1. Some planets don't appear to be textured correctly. Earth looks like a grey moon, with no oceans or green land. What has happened to it?
  2. Is it possible to improve the mouse DPI? I've set the mouse accuracy in the config file to 100%, and I've increased the DPI in windows, but even a tiny mouse movement results in big move in the game. This makes it very difficult to target pirates at a distance...
  3. Is it possible to remove the background picture on some screens (e.g. Combat Computer, Star System Navigation Map, Communications, etc...)? It's really distracting.

Thanks again for all your hard work. I'm running it at 1920 x 1200 with FSAA and it looks gorgeous!

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Hello Nanite

All thanks should go to Dreamzzz and the guys on the Russian forum Elite games http://www.elite-games.ru/conference/viewtopic.php?t=47373

It's been a while since I played the game so my answers to you question wont be much use, hopefully some one else can give you better ones.

1 As I recall their was no problem with the earth, so it may be you graphic card or it could also be the screen res you using.

2 Don't know.

3 there are no backgrounds in less some one has added them, but you should just be able to look through the files and just remove them.

No problems with the icons seem to remember the game only liked one screen res settings.

ReplyQuote
nanite2000
(@nanite2000)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hello Nanite

All thanks should go to Dreamzzz and the guys on the Russian forum Elite games http://www.elite-games.ru/conference/viewtopic.php?t=47373

It's been a while since I played the game so my answers to you question wont be much use, hopefully some one else can give you better ones.

1 As I recall their was no problem with the earth, so it may be you graphic card or it could also be the screen res you using.

2 Don't know.

3 there are no backgrounds in less some one has added them, but you should just be able to look through the files and just remove them.

No problems with the icons seem to remember the game only liked one screen res settings.

Hi Pinback,

Thanks for your reply, and apologies for the delay in responding.

1. Here's a screenshot of what Earth looks like (i.e. New York). Is this correct? Does this match your version?
    62023807.png
  2. No worries about the mouse.
  3. I was able to change the background picture by editing 'FFED3DTexturestex96.png'.

One other thing - has the combat difficulty been increased in this version? I keep getting my *ss kicked within a second or two unless I'm *very* lucky. I don't recall it being quite this difficult, but it seems cmbat at the moment isn't even remotely fair (although it has been a long time since I last played...).

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Yes your screen shot is the same as mine, guess I was thinking of some thing else.

Don't know if they changed anything combat wise, I always had the impression that it still the original game code ported to a new graphic engine.

ReplyQuote