Clear all

[Sticky] FFED3D Project

Page 1 / 5

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone

The members of the elite-games.ru community gave SSC the ok to help spread the word about FFED3D which is a D3D remake of Frontiers: First Encountiers. With elite gamers website being in russian it is a little difficult to navigate and find all the info on FFED3D so thought it would nice to have a english area and a file repository to store mod files and updates to this remake.

You can access the download area here: downloads.php?cat=37

If people can to make it easier navigating the threads if you post something directly to the forums just let people know it is a FX, Model, Music or texture file.

So upload your ship mods, music, videos, meshes etc and have fun chatting about FFED3D in the forums and do let people know this area exists so people can try this great project.

-D1-

Anonymous

Do the videos work with FFED3D (I see you've got them for download). It was my understanding that they won't work until the next release 😕

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

I will have to test them or ask the question on elite-gamer and find out unless someone can let us know. All I have to do is change the description on the download put its up there.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Excellent work Darkone.

theres about three bugs that I can think of ,off hand.

1 Vista user may encounter a bug with the icons in the hud.

Which forces them to click just below the icon to get it to work.

the solution to this is to turn off the Areo interface and side bar.

2 There are two new eagle models but only one of them can be used in the game.As using both causes

a graphical glitch.

3 IIRC there is a mission which will crash the game when you jump into that system.

It also happens when you are not playing the mission.just can't remenber which system it was.

Darkone wrote:
I will have to test them or ask the question on elite-gamer and find out unless someone can let us know. All I have to do is change the description on the download put its up there.

You only get sound at the moment in the vids.I think the next build will have them in along

with the targeting tunnels.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

PINBACK wrote:

theres about three bugs that I can think of ,off hand.

1 Vista user may encounter a bug with the icons in the hud.

Which forces them to click just below the icon to get it to work.

the solution to this is to turn off the Aero interface and side bar.

There's a much nicer solution to this which I posted at the Frontier Forums here - it operates just when you run FFED3D so you don't have to keep switching Aero on and off 🙂

PINBACK wrote:

2 There are two new eagle models but only one of them can be used in the game.As using both causes

a graphical glitch.

Yeah, it will be nice when that one's sorted

PINBACK wrote:

You only get sound at the moment in the vids.I think the next build will have them in along

with the targeting tunnels.

Yay, FFE videos 😆

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Steve wrote:
PINBACK wrote:

Yay, FFE videos 😆

Good to see someone else from the Frontier Forum posting here 😀

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I just go the game to work on my netbook with its Atom processor,integrated graphic and 1gb of ram. 😀

What I cannot belive is that the game playes faster on this than on my Vista box. 😮

Now all I have to do is down load all the new models again.

And buy a mouse as these mousepad thing are useless.

The tube station is just awesome.

station2.jpg

Pity the dublin lettering spoils it,hum I need to go ask a question.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

So that tube station model I uploaded should look like this one? That is a nice station model. It's nice that FFED3D is pretty portable. You can throw it on a USB stick and off you go.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Anyone wanting a F.A.Q about FFE have a look at this link.

http://www.jades.org/ffefaq2.htm

DreamZzz test of a new water shader

Link for the English forum on Elite games.

http://www.elite-games.ru/conference/vi ... hp?t=47373

And the main Russian forum for FFED-3D.

http://www.elite-games.ru/conference/viewforum.php?f=43

As D1 noted in the sign up thread you need to use a translator here.

Guaranteed to drive you nuts with it translation, 😀 but worth doing as theres lot of

interesting stuff here.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

boa.jpg

Check out the landing gear bridge animation on the new boa freighter

AWESOME

You can find some save games on jades site here.

http://www.jades.org/download.htm#commanders

ReplyQuote
Woffin
(@woffin)
Crewman Registered

Hi there, I just stumbled across this project on the web, saw some videos and screenshots of the released version and it looks ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! 😀 I used to to play this game non stop as a child and would love to do so again, only one problem. I have a mac lol.

Is there any version of this remake that would work on a mac? Or is there any way of getting my mac to run this? Let me know and keep up the fantastic work 🙂

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Hi Woffin

As far as I kown Iam afraid your out of luck for a mac version of the game.

Inless theres any way you can emulate a windows system on a mac. ❓

ReplyQuote
Woffin
(@woffin)
Crewman Registered

There is a way, by using an application called Bootcamp. It allows you to partition your hard drive and run Windows off it, letting you choose between OSX and Windows on bootup. Only thing is that it requires a valid copy of Windows to install in the first place lol, and it seems a bit OTT installing an entire operating system just to play one game 🙂

Thanks for the help though!

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

Woffin, if you sell your Mac you should be able to buy at least two similar spec PC's to run FFE on. Worth thinking about. 😆

I also love what the Russians are doing for this old game but I can't help but wish that they could do something about the terrible flight system. Combat in FFE is still a joke. Still, if you can get past that it really is a gorgeous mod. Dammit, now I want to play it with all the new ships and models in. I think my weekend is going to be a busy one!

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Stardreamer wrote:
Woffin, if you sell your Mac you should be able to buy at least two similar spec PC's to run FFE on. Worth thinking about.

Guess I might have to make a PC or Mac thread in the polls area, the flame wars are about to begin 🙂

There are quite a few russian made space games that look good over the years that just never got ported over. FFED3D is one of the better elite remakes most definitely, Oolite not technically a remake but still has the same premise.

ReplyQuote
Woffin
(@woffin)
Crewman Registered

Haha well if I sell my mac, I wont be able to use it for my university work (since they gave it me with my course) or for producing music lol. The annoying thing is that I do actually have a desktop PC, but the PSU blew itself up a few weeks ago and the suppliers are still waiting for replacements to come in 🙁

I guess with some patience then I will be able to wait for my new PSU, start up XP (provided nothing else fried too) and load up FFED3D 😀

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Stardreamer wrote:

I also love what the Russians are doing for this old game but I can't help but wish that they could do something about the terrible flight system. Combat in FFE is still a joke. Still, if you can get past that it really is a gorgeous mod. Dammit, now I want to play it with all the new ships and models in. I think my weekend is going to be a busy one!

I dont think its as bad as it was in Frontiers.Now that was bad,especially the auto pilot which would

take every opportunity to slam you into planets,ship and station. 😆

You need to ask the guys on the EG forum for that answer,if the have any planes to change the combat

model.

Have a look at the FAQ posted above.and in the FFED-3D file after you have installed it.some of the

controlls have changed.

Woffin

As you are doing a music course,have you thought about reworking some of the game music?.

ReplyQuote
Woffin
(@woffin)
Crewman Registered

I've not really thought about it to be honest no, but thanks for putting the idea into my head 🙂 I actually did some work for Egosoft, writing the music for X3 Terran Conflict and the trailer music etc. The thing I like about the Frontier music though is the nostalgia value. Even though I couldnt play the game on my mac, I could still play the mp3s in the music folder and hearing the main theme, re-rendered, sent a shiver down my back 😀 but yeah, once my PC is back up and running then I'll have a little dabble and see what I can do.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Woffin wrote:
I've not really thought about it to be honest no, but thanks for putting the idea into my head 🙂 I actually did some work for Egosoft, writing the music for X3 Terran Conflict and the trailer music etc. The thing I like about the Frontier music though is the nostalgia value. Even though I couldnt play the game on my mac, I could still play the mp3s in the music folder and hearing the main theme, re-rendered, sent a shiver down my back 😀 but yeah, once my PC is back up and running then I'll have a little dabble and see what I can do.

Nice Woffin.

They have a music thread on the EG forums.

http://www.elite-games.ru/conference/vi ... hp?t=36320

If I was forced to admit to it. 😆

There are a couple of thing I do like about the X games.and some of the music tracks is one them.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Theres an interesting discussion on the EG forum about the look of the starport buildings and citys

looks like the gurken has got a mention.

I think Frank Lloyed Wright designs would fit very well to the game.

WrightPPCCScheme1.jpg

page8.jpg

wright_guggenheim.jpg

wrighttheillinois.jpg

And to be a proper city you need the Megacity 1 look 😀

dave-taylor-big-robots.jpg

Looks like there might be a new ship comeing out soon.

ReplyQuote
capo
 capo
(@capo)
Crewman Registered

Hey, is anyone else finding downloading this (ffed3d_v112b_244.zip) a complete nightmare? It never goes faster than say 45kbps, and it never gets beyond say 70% or so without failing. Is there a solution or another download link?

Thanks in advance for your help folks.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

That Megacity looks great, if that could ever be converted into reality that would be very impressive.

capo wrote:
Hey, is anyone else finding downloading this (ffed3d_v112b_244.zip) a complete nightmare? It never goes faster than say 45kbps, and it never gets beyond say 70% or so without failing. Is there a solution or another download link?

Hi Capo

I just retested the download from my machine and download completed successfully with a download rate of 49k-113k per sec.

I would recommend getting a download manager/helper like getright or orbit to help you out if your browser is timing out.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

capo wrote:

You can try the EG site here.

http://www.elite-games.ru/conference/vi ... hp?t=36330

Remember to download all the patches as well.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Decided to change the background pic unfortunately it makes the other screen hard to see.

Iam pretty sure there was a number of different backgrounds in the original game.

newscreen.jpg

Found this pic of an alien looking cgi tower.Thargoid 😆

nzpwzl.jpg

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

PINBACK wrote:
Decided to change the background pic unfortunately it makes the other screen hard to see.

Iam pretty sure there was a number of different backgrounds in the original game.

Indeed there were, about six of them. The program chose which one to display depending on which kind of ship you owned.

I personally prefer the system in D3D, where you can choose your own picture.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5