Notifications
Clear all

Mis-Jump Question

UAoliver
(@uaoliver)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

i know that when mis-jump occurs, it will take you anywhere in the galaxy, but how i will avoid this in a first place.

PS: this may be in wrong forum

s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

Avoid it by keeping your ship serviced and repaired.

ReplyQuote
UAoliver
(@uaoliver)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  
s20dan wrote:
Avoid it by keeping your ship serviced and repaired.

How often Ship must be Serviced to avoid Mis-Jumps ( i have read in frontierverse that mis-jump happens

if you service your ship poorly).

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Hi Paholainen

It's basically written into the game that even if your servicing is up to date, there is a small chance it could happen, but I also take the view that it's chances of occurring do increase the longer the service interval is. Some have also speculated that the higher the tech level a planet has can also have a bearing on it too. If you go to a backwater world with a low tech level, your service may have been done sloppily and so perhaps the chances of a miss-jump can increase. But as I said it's just speculation, I think only David Braben himself could really answer that question.

ReplyQuote
UAoliver
(@uaoliver)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hmm... I also ask you that is it only possible to get mis-jump after Service or could mis-jump happen at anytime.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

You could force a miss jump in Frontier by pressing the ALT + F8 keys, never tryed it in FFE3D.

ReplyQuote
UAoliver
(@uaoliver)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

I would like to know that how many times you guys got mis jumps, and how many light years it took you away from your previous system

PINBACK wrote:
You could force a miss jump in Frontier by pressing the ALT + F8 keys, never tryed it in FFE3D.

Yes i know that you can force a mis jump.

Edit: Could someone post a video to a youtube where player does a mis-jump, because i forgot to tell that i'm not brave enough to try that, and if someone uploads it, then i know how bad it really is.

ReplyQuote
UAoliver
(@uaoliver)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Nobody has answered my question, why is that. 😐

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Basically a mis-jump can happen at any time, but the chances of it happening can be lessened by keeping your drive serviced regularly. As to where you can end up, it could be anywhere, not even in a star system. I ended up once outside the eastern spiral arm of the galaxy. Thankfully my Sidewinder had a class 7 hyperdrive at the time and plenty of fuel. Had it happened on a standard equipped ship (class 2 hyperdrive) I would have been in a game over situation. As far as I recall there was a starport out there on the rim, but I would need to dig out my notes to find out exactly where it was.

ReplyQuote
Stardreamer
(@stardreamer)
Warrant Officer Registered

Geraldine wrote:
Basically a mis-jump can happen at any time, but the chances of it happening can be lessened by keeping your drive serviced regularly. As to where you can end up, it could be anywhere, not even in a star system. I ended up once outside the eastern spiral arm of the galaxy. Thankfully my Sidewinder had a class 7 hyperdrive at the time and plenty of fuel. Had it happened on a standard equipped ship (class 2 hyperdrive) I would have been in a game over situation. As far as I recall there was a starport out there on the rim, but I would need to dig out my notes to find out exactly where it was.

You know, I played Frontier for years and always suffered the game over when my drive failed. You've just described the most amazing adventure I've never had. I am in awe. Go, you!

😀

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Well, that's the really cool thing about Frontier, you could (with the right tricked up ship) go anywhere and get into all sorts of trouble. The glitches the game had could also conspire to do odd things too for example there was this binary system with an massive F type white star and a small red dwarf star. There was no gravity reference for the red dwarf and you could fly right inside it. A glitch or maybe that was the game's version of a compressed nebular?

Basically my advice when playing Frontier is think of the maddest thing you could do and go and try it, that's the real beauty of the game, no constraints and total freedom. 😎

ReplyQuote
s2odan
(@s2odan)
Captain Registered

I remember some friends of mine way back when had both experienced these gigantic mis-jumps.

But everytime I get a misjump it just sends me a few lightyears away from where I was going in deep-space along with a broken drive 🙁

I remember trying out the distress calls once, hoping that someone would come and get me 😉

Quote:

There was no gravity reference for the red dwarf and you could fly right inside it. A glitch or maybe that was the game's version of a compressed nebular?

Ive seen things like this in FFE, if you fly far enough away from the core worlds say to the center of the galaxy, all the stars and planets have no matter 🙂 You can fly right through them.

Could be a version specific thing but Im not sure.

That basically put an end to all my exploratory days in FFE, Well theres not going to be anything hidden there if its unfinished 🙂

ReplyQuote
UAoliver
(@uaoliver)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hi and sorry for reviving this thread. I would like to see video about forced hyperspace mis-jump on youtube.

I still have little phobia about hyperspacing and then mis-jump will happen.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

paholainen are still reading this?

geraldine's right it's the biggest adventure you can have in Frontier, a miss-jump leading to a "discovery" situation (one could believe ST has adapted that from frontier).

what a great, great adventure...

miss-jumps can happen always, randomly, even with a perfect serviced drive, the "world" of Frontier is anything else then safe, strange things can happen...

you can explode at entering of a system, without any reason. that all has happened to me and will of course to others.

Quote:
space is deep, and death awaits you everywhere!

ask marcel, a situation which i would have loved to see, caused by date? it seems exactly at 1st of april he entered a system and was confronted with 100rds of ships, from which he thought first that they must be asteroids because there was so many dots on his scanner.

this game is now about 20 years old and it still can surprise you, isn't that great? and all packed into ~700kB, amazing! the amazing power of randomly seeded processes.

imagine a future where you have a advanced technology, but most worlds haven't really the power or knowledge to control it.

apart from that, miss-jumps of course happen in FFE and FFED3D to, unfortunately they chose a "empty" galaxy for FFE, not as empty as s2odan described it.

i have made some test flights right now to the core of the galaxy, but i could scoop fuel and i even was able to crash into the gas giant, so they are no paper cutouts, like he stated. but unfortunately you didn't find any settled world in FFE, from within a certain distance to sol. something they have removed and i believe it was more a bug, like the wormholes of the first release of Frontier. far off settled worlds are scattered in clusters all over the galaxy in FE2, but have no real working economy, means every "cluster" has the same appearance, industrial or foremost mining. with the help of the wormholes i have visited many of them.

i was looking for a way through the galaxy of Frontier in a common way without wormholes, but distances between the clusters are sometimes already to far to manage them in the time span of one year (last service), so that there would be a way to get home after such a miss-jump into the eastern arm of the galaxy without a cheated drive or something similar (you can directly enter a position of your ship to the running process, and i can setup a prepared savegame in any location, no problem, even in the empty space between two systems, what also happens usually due to a miss-jump.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

s2odan wrote:
Ive seen things like this in FFE, if you fly far enough away from the core worlds say to the center of the galaxy, all the stars and planets have no matter 🙂 You can fly right through them.

That really disappointing s20dan. I never fully explored FFE as much as Frontier. I must investigate if JJFFE, GLFFE and FFE3D fixed this problem ❓

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

why you fear a miss-jump, it won't harm you in reality

(i remember how i sweat when first time "hanging" over a gas-giant....)

i know this game can get to the bones 😉

i will be proud to make some videos for you, sure a sneeze 😎

and geraldine, i tried FFE, for my actual test flights, just to make approve i run the original game.

estimated core of the galaxy roundabout -1650,-1550, that's anything else then the exact center and unfortunately you can't see the pink dot of your location on the galactic map like in FE2. but dates for center will be the same as in FE2, coordinate system is the same and the max of 0xFFFF or 65536 sectors in all (-32767 to +32767 with 0 as a counting value) is also given. unfortunately the galaxy is not centered in that enormous space, that makes calculations for the center a bit complicated. further it acts like a sphere, means when passing sector +32767 you start at -32767. but if one is good in maths

(excerpt of my enhanced object specs for FE2)

maps coordinates in FE2:

Quote:
internally sector 0x0000,0x0000 is at x -5912, y -5412 (decimal and if i leave the inter-sector coordinates away)

in fact there is a maximum of 0xFFFF(+0x1 because 0x0 is a value) (dec.65536) sectors, and I don’t know why sector 0x0000,0x0000 is at -5912, -5412, because the map starts at sector -32768 and ends at sector 32767.

btw, -5912, -5412 IS NOT the galactic core, there is absolutely nothing, it's in the deep black nothing of FE2. the galaxy is far away from that.

sol has the internal value of

Quote:
X 0x171880, Y 0x1524A0, Z- 0xFFFF9400, (including inter-sector coordinates)

if one is good in calculating he should find now the proper center of the galaxy, just for fun...

and the permanent use of 0 as a value, is still giving me headaches, you can follow this through the whole game.

somehow this guy managed it to get 17 bits out of a byte 😆 no i know 0x0-0xF = 16, but usually 0 is 0 = nothing, not used, blank, whatever, but here it is used like it's a value like 1. additionally 0xFFFF is usually even not used it's padding, even like blank or whatever, sometimes used as value in other cases used as prefix for negative values (e.g. Z for sol). wherefore some negative values haven't this "prefix" (count backwards starting at 0xFFFF) it's given as negative by i don't know.

no i know how that works 0xFFFF/2, everything above 0x7FFF is negative and counts backwards starting at 0xFFFF as 0, while the lower values are positive starting at 0x0000.

but one should tell me how it's possible to change this rule permanently, usually i would guess a program must get confused, one time follow this rule next data in a object follows the other rule, once i use words, sometimes bit encoding, next time i use a word and one byte, and the leftover byte is single, in another case i subtract the following byte from the word, to get three values out of two, that's confusing.

similar, he used doubled values for the sub-models i.e. one has the number 120*2 = 240 = 0xF0 but in certain cases the same model is called with 0xF1, which results in a different use of the same model in decimal it would result in 120 and 1/2, which is not possible in HEX, you can use only integer values, but you have to imagine that this model has the number 240+1 even it's 120 in the end. the little difference is, call "normal" used model as it is, call with this additional +1 it's a scalable model.

one can see now, it's given already in the data how to use it, what type of encoding it has, but this it makes it less complicated for me to understand.

and marcel,

due to whatever circumstances my writing here brought back the "meet the elite", noticed it?

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

It all goes to show just how smart David Braben is. I am sill amazed to this day looking at my old Frontier floppy disk and realising there is a whole galaxy on it! 😯

Just imagine for moment what he could do today with a Blu Ray or even a DvD disk 😮 Come on Mr Braben, amaze us all again please!

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

i guess he won't, if i wherein his place i would rest my whole life....

that was REALLY HARD WORK and imo, he has all the rights to do so. play a round of golf, go sailing, whatever.

apart from that, no one would do it this way today, exactly because we have DVD and blueray as mass storage.

it won't matter nowadays to use a "little" more space.

further, assembler programs, not only games are rare to find today. they are brain****** if you know what i mean.

of course this would make everything faster and smoother in a game, i am sure.

but on the other hand hard to imagine for today's standards we have, it would cost your whole lifetime i guess.

it's easy to understand simple logical functions like "and", "or" and "nor",using 2 - 3 transistors, but we have now

Quote:
For example, Intel packed its 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 with 55 million transistors; NVIDIA used over 125 million transistors in the original GeForce FX GPU

but i guess it's only good some are still interested in assembler, else we lose the "craftsmen ship", like we lost already in to many aspects of technology, imho.

and it's really not good from my point of view only to program with high leveled languages. you loose control.

we can easy loose control this way over the machines and end up in a Asimov scenario.

but yes, please mr. braben surprise us, once more! 😉

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

something slight different,

JJFFE act's not in all parts like FFE, i found out, some savegames from JJFFE i can't load to FFE. strangely i only have to exchange the ship and they work.

what exactly is behind that i haven't found out yet.

reason was to get to the core quick i used JJFFE and BUFFET2, then i liked to load the game to FFE, "not a first encounters commander" i got returned.

fortunately i had a doubled savegame, same position only a different ship.

❓ when i load the same stuff with the lynx it works, with a courier not ❓

else i wouldn't have noticed that, so i tried a few different ships in JJFFE using the brilliant BUFFET2 to exchange the ships, and at least a found another working one the "tiger trader" because a lynx is a little to oversized and to lame for such travels.

ReplyQuote
Potsmoke66
(@potsmoke66)
Captain Registered

first few clips of miss-jumps

we start with the MS-DOS version of FE2, i will make a clip of FFED3D to, but i guess that's not as fun as in FE2, because you will find not much in FFE out there.

this attempt(s) has a bit "failed" and i didn't get far from the target. to your information on this savegame is nothing cheated except for the registration but that's only cosmetic (one could expect that from me), it's my career as a imperial pilot and i don't like to cheat on such a career, unlike other experiments i did. i guess one can see why i NEVER give that ship out of my hands.

that's why i decided to run the CD32 version to see what happens there,

you could record .avi directly from WinUAE, but it hasn't turned out well, because framerate sucks, i guess because you can't lower the capture framerate, which i else keep reasonably low (15fps) to save more for the game. but apart from that, a cool feature of WinUAE, one should think about such for Pioneer.

this clip is a bit longer as some others, because i really liked to play a bit, even when the CD32 controls was confusing me on my pad and i steady liked to perform a roll, which only works in pioneer, additionally you have always to press the upper right trigger to steer, that produces clamps (i forgot). also is the control really bad, but that's for all frontier versions the same more or less. it's a bit sad i can't choose between many careers in the CD32 version, the actual two i have are not mine, one is my friends game the other was a state of my stepson, but that doesn't matters much to present a miss.jump i guess.

next will be a FFED3D miss-jump

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

You were lucky with those mis-jumps Gernot! 🙂 Just for fun, when I had one, I sent out a distress call and set the stardreamer to max to see what would happen. To my surprise after a good long time, pirates appeared and attacked me! How they got there is a mystery to me. I guess the game (FE2) must randomly generate pirates around the player no matter were they happen to be.

That can be really annoying at times when you are stalking a ship during an assassination. There is me hiding in a crater well away from a starport and waiting patiently for my mark to take off, when I get attacked. If I am too early and the mark noticed the altercation, they wont take off or worse, the police notice then I have to deal with a load of Vipers too. Mission fail! 🙄 As I have said before, FE2 can throw some crazy situations at you at times. 😆

ReplyQuote