Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] New FFED3D builds from Ittiz & AndyJ

Page 2 / 5

AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

Indeed you can! 🙂

In fact I'd recommend that combination for simplicity as Ittiz's build contains all the latest models and textures and the videos...

The full beta v1.12 FFED3D packs that are currently here are also very old - the original release I think - so don't contain many of the updated textures/models (such as the control panel). The alternative to Ittiz's pack would be the updated beta v1.12 pack (24.05.11) that's over at the Russian elite-games.ru forum, this is slightly lighter on resources as it has lower resolution and original game textures, but none of the videos.

Just extract the patch and core textures zip over the top of your ittiz install, and then optionally add the multi-skins examples zip as well. (core textures are required additions)

Configurations settings are found in the ffed3daj.cfg file (edit with notepad) and you have the choice of executables: ffed3daj.exe which is based on JJFFE (i.e. original FFE game play) or ffed3daj_aniso.exe which is based off the Anisotropic 0.9c mod - but does change a lot, especially difficulty, and isn't to everyone's tastes.

I'd point you towards the ffed3daj_readme.txt file that's in the patch zip for more information - it's worth a quick read before you extract everything!

If you're running on 32bit Windows then be aware that you'll need to use the model manager loading models on-demand if you use the multiple skins as well. This is mainly because a lot of the textures are so large that everything doesn't quite squeeze into the 2GB that the game is limited to. The user Zak Gordon is currently putting together an optimised texture mod to reduce those that don't need to be such high resolution so that 32bit users can also load everything at start up. If on the other hand you have a 64bit install of Windows and at least 2GB then you don't need to care and can just turn everything on for maximum bling!  (there's been a lengthy discussion about the model manager & memory usage over on the Frontier forum <a href="""here so I won't repeat everything here, the readme should explain too, but I'll answer questions if anyone needs help)

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Thank you very much, for your answer. I have a x64 Win7 with 8GB.

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

Just uploaded v1.06 - mainly fixes in the .asm code, it fixes the issue with repeated clicks during video playback (no more accidentally buying a ship!) as well as fixing the assassination mission crash in the Aniso mod (pretty sure I've found the source of the stack fault!)

Otherwise, a minor shader change to fix transparencies in model textures. A short list of fixes I know, but 2 significant ones that I know people have been waiting for, so I didn't want to delay a patch too long while I'm investigating other areas   😀

(regretting the upgrade to IE11 this week, no copy + paste or 'smilies' selection working here now 🙁 ) 

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

FFED3DAJ v1.11 has now been released.

This build focuses on stability fixes as well as adding translations for French, German, Italian and Russian.

It is available in the downloads area here.

Extra notes:
I've run the patch file through VirusTotal: Results
Bkav gives a "false-positive" fail for Bass.dll. I think that this has been the case for several versions now.

To switch translation to a language other than English, edit ffed3daj.cfg and change the value "language=EN".
Supported values are: DE = German, EN = English, FR = French, IT = Italian and RU = Russian.

Enjoy and fly safe Commanders!

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Thank you very much AndyJ. Keep up the good work!!

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Wonderful news Andy! Thank you for your tireless work in keeping FFE3D flying!

ReplyQuote
Gernot66
(@gernot66)
Lieutenant Registered

🙂
hi everybody

preface:
sorry, i opened a new account simply because the former one was registered to a no longer existing e-mail adress.

**THANK YOU ANDYJ!**

very well done, you're a sort of wizard.

your release brought me back to life (in frontier).
after loosing so much of my work (for pioneer)..... i'm happy to run a lousy FFED3D.

however,
i started to (re)create a couple of models, some are new onesy i made especially for FFED3D, some are conversions of models i made for Pioneer.
most is work in progress, some more some less.

![]( "")

**INSTEAD** to overload this thread with screenshots of my models,
i opened i own thread for my new and old FFED3D models (or whatever else).

http://spacesimcentral.com/forum/discussion/7025/new-ship-models-for-ffed3d-by-potsmoke-gernot#latest

ReplyQuote
walterar
(@walterar)
Commander Registered

@gernot66 "after loosing so much of my work (for pioneer)"

Losses? Never! Your ships are more alive than ever, check here:

[

"https://youtube.com/watch?v=F8ZxjLJRYzU")
[

"https://youtube.com/watch?v=F_2S4hr66DU")

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

Hey Gernot!

Great to see you back and thank you so much for converting your ships back to our lousy FFED3D!

I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun playing with these - the Kestrel looks absolutely GORGEOUS! (downloading now!)

I'll take "work in progress" as that you might continue to improve and create more? Looking forward to see what else you do!

Best wishes AndyJ

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Gernot!!!! So happy to see your back making your wonderful ships again! <3

ReplyQuote
Gernot66
(@gernot66)
Lieutenant Registered

hi walter ar

**OFF TOPIC!**
i peeped into your clips and pioneer looks great
(with some restrictions).

recently i can't play pioneer, thus it has no use to write just one line of a script.

maybe as soon as i'm able i will pick up my puristic "Sputnik" project and bring it finally to a end.
i had the idea to concetrate more on procedural generated stuff - you know me - my idea of generated missions.... however, this isn't the right place.

well we have nice (kitschig) colored nebulas, but i assume except of your fine work little to do in pioneer.
a game certainly attracts with it graphics
but gameplay is something different and works even with a plain vector graphic.
i assume the cities still look like out of a pepper shaker and we still have no way to seperate between hostile and outdoor worlds -
am i right?

promise (to you)
as soon as i'm able to play pioneer again i will also start to work on my models again.

**that's it so far for pioneer.**

RECENTLY
my task is to fill FFED3D with models, i'm maybe not the best modeler but a productive one and two models a week are to expect.
after it was such greatly enhanced by Andy there is the urge to finally replace all models, to use as much as possible of the sub-models for the cities to keep the random look.

this is in my mind since long,
long ago i felt i was only a fifth wheel to FFED3D, they had a team of modellers and i was the nube,
this has changed much,
elite-games.ru cancelled development of FFED3D and finally someone picked up the remnants,
which brings little me back on the floor.

v0: 2, 1, 0
v2: 2, -1, 0
quad: v0, v1, v3, v2

besides, the task to analyze and use the city structures of FFE will also give me some experience to what i like to do for pioneer.
analyze -> copy -> develop own
just like the our friends from Nippon
NO
i know 100 years ago gemany was feared for this
but that's the way it works and i see no reason why copying shouldn't be good, you copy, you learn and finally you can make your own.

have phun!

and never forget "diesen hier" 😉
![]( "")

ReplyQuote
Gernot66
(@gernot66)
Lieutenant Registered

AndyJ

do you solved the "pond problem" (i've read this on elite-games.ru)?

sure i can take a look at such problems.
buildings have a funny attitude in FFED3D, since the game is righthanded and in what i call "architectural view" with the Y axis pointing upwards. if you centre a object on the X/Y plane it will be completely wrong because the model will be centered on the X/Z plane. rotation and position can also be altered within the models toplevel frame, a mesh oriented lefthanded will stay lefthanded only the orientation matrix of the toplevel-frame changes by adding a animation this can lead sometimes to problems if one is oriented in a different way as the other.

thus instead to alter the rotion of the part in blender i would try first to rotate the model with the matrix, that's maybe the best way.

(kinda like that the chappel from "Schmerikon" goes around the world)

i guess the pond is never called alone he's always submodel of a larger model if i remember this proper.
on the other hand it should play no role in which orientation it's been called....

object # 248:
"2E6E 4061 ; Subobject(371:Swimming pool, Vertex(97), Orientation(40h))"

object # 277:
"2E6E 000A ; Subobject(371:Swimming pool, Vertex(10), Orientation(00h))"

however once it's oriented the same as subobject # 371 it should appear the same as it.

i will take a closer look at this at home, i can't run FFED3D on my mothers mac.

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

Hi Gernot!

I presume the pond issue that you saw over on the Russian forums is this one:
![]( "")

The .x model is rotated compared to the original vector models, and it's slightly too large.

I solved it though in v1.11 by adding a tris.ini file for the model and extending it in FFED3DAJ so that some additional values could be specified within it apply a rotation (rotate_x, rotate_y and rotate_z). Theses are then applied prior to drawing the model and meant that I didn't have to find someone to actually fix the existing model. (btw if you turn off .x models and then on again to reload them, tris.ini is also reloaded. This might be useful when working on a model to save completely re-loading the game - toggle on/off with CTRL+F6)

The two models that you mention, 248 and 277 are "city blocks" that contain various sub models such as houses, ponds, hills etc. These are themselves sub-models that belong to the local star port model (81-96) and are repeated to create the appearance of surrounding towns or cities.
I noticed in your model thread that you are using Donik's "FFED3D AJ" pack from reddit and noticed there are missing models such as the Hawk. It's not a pack I had anything to do with putting together myself, but presumably it followed my instructions on the now missing project page. ([archived here]( https://web.archive.org/web/20160406074750/http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/files/file/1036-ffed3daj/))

I did DL the pack to double check it was virus free but didn't look too hard at it otherwise. I did think it was based upon the Ittiz pack which is more up-to-date but actually it looks like it used the original FFED3D Beta 1.12++ pack as it still has the "Mods" files but no videos. The pack on reddit has included Nanite2000's terrain and ship texture packs.

I've held off putting together my own "complete download" pack for FFED3DAJ whilst I was still fixing things, but perhaps it would be an good idea to start pulling everything together now. I do have a cleaned-up installation with an updated Mods folder that I made earlier in the year - I was intending to add a new "options" program for editing the .cfg file first, but got a little side-tracked with "real life stuff". I should probably create a new thread here with the instructions on too if the downloads here aren't going to have their own description pages again in the future.

So I guess that you are probably still running v1.10?
The latest version of FFED3DAJ is now v1.11 and if you need to update to this version then you'll need to grab [FFED3DAJ_v1.11.zip]( http://spacesimcentral.com/%23-F/FFED3D/FFED3DAJ_v1.11.zip ]) and [FFED3DAJ_v1.11_CoreFiles.zip]( http://spacesimcentral.com/%23-F/FFED3D/FFED3DAJ_v1.11_CoreFiles.zip).
These just get unzipped into your FFED3D folder. Backup your ffed3daj.cfg file first in case you need to look back at it and copy any preferences into the updated version.

You may not know if not running it yet, but in v1.11 I've added the original FFE translations (French, German, Italian) but also the Elite-Games.Ru members have helped me add their own Russian translation too - something they really wanted from the early days of FFED3D and it was always my intention to try and implement for them once I realised that I could move the project forward and fix the outstanding issues.
Not sure if I should be asking this in your own models thread to keep things "on topic", but if you would like to revisit a model Gernot, please could I ask if you'll take a look at the animation of the clock face on your church model, 369?

I have already tried to tie in the animation so that it displays the computer's time as it did in Frontier: Elite 2, but it only works correctly between 12 and 2 am/pm - there are then glitches later in the animation with the hands freezing or even moving backwards, so it gets out of sync.
In my current "work-in-progress" build I've added overrides to set the animation relative to the current hour and this forces the hand positions to better reflect the correct time, but this is at the expense of seeing that the hands constantly move, which I think was your original intention. If you are willing though, perhaps if you could separate the animation of the hour and minute hands so that they each do a single rotation, and I would then be able to smoothly step their positions relative to the current time.
If you have a need for secondary animations that aren't linked to the landing gear sequence then they should already be processed in v1.10/11 relative to time elapsed. I think that the requirement for a model having an animation is also fixed - although I've not got a model to test this with.

Cheers

AndyJ

ReplyQuote
Gernot66
(@gernot66)
Lieutenant Registered

hi andy,

i have to take a look at what version it is, but i'm sure not 1.1 because i didn't noticed such a change to the tris.ini

to the church (how could this tiny model hold one this much up?)
i hope i fixed this with my new model, but i can't tell exactly i never waited twelve hours to see what happens
and since it shows the your machines time....

but yes i quickly changed the time on the system and it alwys reflected the proper time, thus i assume it's ok now.

before i worked (for what reson i forgot) with a speed of two frames per sec, now it's 1 frame per second for the clock
if i remember it right i edited the previous models animation because i've made a mistake (besides i made one even this time and stupidly my clock showed seconds and minutes instead of minutes and hours).

well only thing is it should show the game time....

however if one likes to know what time of day it is for real he can fly to the next church - if that makes sense 🙂

and well i removed the cross and replaced it with a weathercock - that's much more neutral.

----

good thing to give the possibility of rotating a object with the tris.ini, however i took a look at the pool and quickly fixed it.
(sometimes but that's typically gernot, i transform models in the X mesh, whereelsefore you have a top level frame to translate, rotate and scale the whole model?).
but i can't remember that it's a little to large (or really just a tiny bit), i compared it with the exported pond (or pool) model.
i guess i even compared it with the original vectors (finally i got it how the models in FFE are scaled, i didn't understand it fully what's the reason but it has something with the hex system to do and that you have no floating point and must multiply and/or divide always integer numbers.
however the table i wrote me down compared to the "metrical" output of FFED3D shows this,
scale 7 = 0.0128
scale 8 = 0.0256
scale 9 = 0.0512
scale 10 = 0.1024
an so on).

btw SCALE

the SCALED SUBMODELS
GIVE ME HEADAKES

really, it's something i would really like to see solved, even if i'm not sure if there is a way to solve this problem.
but it would be more as just cool if the submodels would be scaled like the original geometry

this would solve at least two issues,
the scanner which is either to small or to large (even other antennas fuelscoop and such)
and the dome model for which i find no acceptable solution except it's scalable.
but personally i guess it should be possible,
there is a scale for it in the model who calls the submodel
though this number (or table) can be read.

or am i wrong?

----

well i have a lot of questions - really, also some issues i stumbled over

something is annoying in the shipdata.txt

besides it's not your fault you're not responsible for the way the shipdata mod

first the main and retro thrust is mixed up
retro thrust gets a bigger value when the hex value it's simply translated to a decimal number
but mr. braben is a killer
he splitted 0xFF or 0xFFFF or 0xFFFFFF into two sections (when needed for coordinates and such values
which can be negative, even and also the rotation of the turrets works in this way)
a lower range up to 80 (as example for a word) which reflects positive numbers
a upper range counted downwards from 0xFF to 0x80 reflecting negative values
this system stays in the whole game if it is for the galactical coordinates
as for thrust values or many else.

the values are proper but the description of what is main or retro is wrong
unfortunately the bigger number is a negative value.

this translating to decimal leaves more issues in the shipdata.txt
and i guess the hex values would be better
however it could be read different (better) - no?

next mistake in hex numbers is the hyperdrive
there are only type 0x0 to 0xF possible
thus numbers will range only from 0 to 15, i'm very sorry for this.
i assume when this had been made for FFE the following 0x80 has been mistakely taken as leading 0x80
this value hardly changes and 90% of the ships have this value on this position
it doesn't belongs to the hyperdrive type anyway

the output of 0xnn80 makes it very difficult to determine which hyperdrive it will be and
to be sure i have to take the output of "show(FFE)mesh" at hand and compare the real content
to this number - in general translate it back to hex and discount the **** 0x80 (if it's 0x80,
in very rare occasions this value changes and i don't know what for it is, i assumed once
(what is now even listed in shipdata) "elite points" because the value stays on 256 for most ships
ok 0x80 is only 128 but 128 is half of 256 but such stinks to me...
however if i change the value for the hyperdrive in the shipdata.txt,
i probably even change a value which doesn't reflects the hyperdrive and does anything else - anything...

to take instead of a dblword a word is problematic because you know this the value will be wrong
this 0x80 FOLLOWS another word and it's not a dblword which will be read different
0x0A80 isn't the same as 0x0A 0x80.
but i remember that "theunis de jong" moaned much about this behave in FE2/FFE
"once it's word next time a dblword or a longword or it's bit encoded, it looks like it was made randomly but it isn't"

then i stumbled over a doubled output for turret and gun positions
it's a mess and i liked to show a example but i haven't it ready here in my moms place.

besides what i would like as much as gun positions
would be a possibility to move the thrusters or labels if needed
it's not a problem which has any priority but i would like it.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Hi everyone, maybe that's not exactly the right place to ask this question but that's the latest active thread on FFED3D so I thought I could ask here, feel free to move it if it's not, here's my question :

I downloaded the ittiz pack and it works, I have yet to install AJ's stuff on top of it, at the start of the game it tells you that it's based on JJFFE 2.8a6 version, but elsewhere on internet there are mentions of a 2.8 a7 version, I'm just curious as to what are the changes between the two versions, wether AJ's version includes those changes, etc...

and of course bravo to the great community that's working on FFE, fantastic job you all !

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

Hi LostJameson

Ittiz's pack is a good source for a base set of updated models and graphics compared to the original Beta v1.12++ pack that the Russians put together, but neither of these versions (FFED3D.exe) are that stable. (no memory management or any code to cope gracefully with alt-tab or switching between fullscreen/windowed etc, so expect crashes to desktop).

My own builds did update the base game to use the final JJFFE code 2.8a7 as well as an additional fix that JJ published on usenet to prevent the throttle flipping into reverse if you accelerate for too long. I don't recall the difference between JJFFE 2.8a6 and 2.8a7 now to be honest, I think that there was a fix to pause game time during the playback of videos (in case it affected missions) but I'm not sure if there were other alterations.
I've also included any additional fixes/enhancements that were made by other authors (e.g. Nic's mod/GLFFE) and it also has stand-alone executables for the Anisotropic mod and Russian's Hellmod. And well, there's 2-3 years of fixes and enhancements by myself too!

It looks like the links that I posted earlier in the thread aren't working, so hopefully you can find the FFED3D folder via the WP File Manager. I'd recommend that you grab the 3 FFED3DAJ zips that are in there for updated exe's/shaders/graphics (although the example skins zip is optional) and also grab the 4 nanite2000 zips as well for improved planet surfaces and ship textures.
If you do apply my build, remember to run FFED3DAJ.exe instead of FFED3D.exe, and to alter configuration settings - edit ffed3daj.cfg in notepad. There's a readme file with more info as well as a version history text file too.

If you get stuck, this thread is as good as anywhere to ask at the moment. I probably need to create a new thread for my build with instructions if there aren't going to be description pages for the downloads any more. The old description page is [archived here]( https://web.archive.org/web/20160406074750/http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/files/file/1036-ffed3daj/).

Hope this helps!

AndyJ

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

@Gernot66 🙂

Probably it's best if we take the conversation about models over to your thread, otherwise it's going to get confusing here I think.

Regarding the shipdata.txt values - yes you are right, they are not straight-forward and can be improved. They were put in mostly to support the "Nic Mod" changes from GLFFE and also to enable some experimentation.There's definitely room for improvement; the user does need to understand the hex value data equivalents at present and I've not sat down to try and improve this. For example - internally thruster values are signed words so for example, +/-32767 max - if you go larger then the value is going to be wrong. I do know this - I rewrote most of the code to figure out if it was really altering the correct values (think I switched a couple) and used it to patch a couple of blocked camera views - but ultimately it was low priority to make it more obvious, when compared to resolution/memory management etc.
And I'm thinking that these settings allow a user to modify the behaviour of a ship - so perhaps they also have a need for per-model values in .ini files that can then be packaged up separately - but anyway, they won't deal with gun placements or engine flares as those are defined by the model's draw commands. The shipdata values that seem to relate to gun positions are actually for placing the camera views, and not where the models will appear.

Anyway... there is some good news... I may have made some progress with those pesky scaled sub-models 😉

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Hi AndyJ, thank you for the clarifications, I managed to download and install all your mod and Nanite's but now I'm stuck with a game that crashes to the desktop as soon as I hit a key to leave the intro movie... I tried various resolutions, windowed and fullscreen, plus a few other things like reducing antialiasing, using original FFE models etc but it's always the same... I get to see the starting view with the starport but Windows instantly tells me the game "stopped working" without more details (windows 10). I notice that while Nanite's textures are working I still have the original FFE cockpit thou I'm sure I have installed it too... I'm using a HP laptop but the keyboard specs don't seem to have the Media Center stuff mentionned in your README.

I'll keep trying stuff this week-end.

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

Hi LostJameson

I think perhaps you haven't installed the FFED3DAJ_*.zip archives and Nanite2000 archives over the top of your Ittiz pack that you already had set up? It was designed to go over the top of that or the complete FFED3D beta pack to keep the download sizes to a minimum when new patches were more frequent.

You should only see the original FFE dashboard when the cockpit model is missing - unless you actually edited the .cfg file to ask to use it. The model is usually in the models subfolder (panel.X) if it isn't then I'd guess you extracted everything into an empty folder...
Can you let me know if it was that and I'll make sure that the next build catches it during start up and displays some instructions to rectify the situation.

Hope this helps, if not let me know.

AndyJ

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Hi AndyJ,

I had one panel.X file in the models folder (as well as many other files), and the cockpit textures those from nanite in the textures folder (incidentally I noticed that while I get the original FFE cockpit, I have a more modern-looking red triangle on the right panel (the thing that tells you you can't take off when you haven't asked for clearance...)).

if it can help : during the intro sequence, I get the very nice jupiter texture on the big planet, but when the earth-like planet appears in the distance at first it's only triangles, no textures, then when the camera gets closer that planet has textures but the athmosphere is too bright, completely white, on the sunlit side.

I don't think it's a windows 10 issue, as I gave administrator rights to the executable.

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

Hmmm, actually I just tried a "bad install" without having a base FFED3D pack and that isn't the issue causing the crash. I'm mistaken about it defaulting to the graphics console if the model isn't present - I thought I'd hardwired it to do that a while ago, but I'm forgetting that if the model isn't there then the bitmaps aren't likely to be either so there was no point ... duh.

OK, so if it's crashing this is probably memory or video related. If you can bear it, would you work with me to try to find out why?
Forum member Steve (of FrontierAstro website) has posted that it does run ok on Windows 10 so it's not necessarily that.

Can i ask what the spec's are of your laptop? particularly system memory, processor, video GPU dedicated/shared graphics memory - or if you aren't sure and it's an "off the shelf configuration" maybe a model number that google can point me to?
And are you running 64bit Windows 10 or 32bit? If you are running 32 bit then we might need to look at model cache settings and if you have shared graphics memory.
Could you also confirm what it is you've installed - and ideally if you can, could you PM your ffed3daj.cfg file to me so that I can see the settings you are running with? (I think if you click my name you send a message by clicking "Message" on the right . Contact me that way anyway if you prefer)

Ideally... it shouldn't really crash at all now - even when my nVidia drivers crash (meh!) it still recovers itself on my Windows 7 box and carries on - so I'd like to find out why it's locking up on your laptop. If you can provide some more info then that may point me at a possible cause.

I can run it ok on my old core2-duo laptop, and there are users out there on even older XP boxes... so hopefully we can figure out what the issue is and get you running too!
Cheers!

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Thank you,
I'm running a HP pavillon, 64 bits windows, with 6Go memory, Intel® Core™ i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz × 4
the graphic card there's a Nvidia in it but I don't know how much memory it has.
I tried various settings with it I'll PM you the latest ones,
Install was all taken from the repo on this site : Ittiz, the 3 AJ files, the 4 nanite files, and an other one called Stars and planets (and the replacement sound FX too), I just extracted your files over the Ittiz stuff, then followed instructions from nanite to put the textures in the textures file.
All this is in a FFED3D folder in my desktop folder on hard drive C:
I also tested with the alternate starting positions and they crash too. If I hit th key "'4" I can access the game menu to try to load a saved game, but the graphics are blurry around the text, and it crashes too.
OL

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

Update : I remade a clean install with only Ittiz and your stuff, the other difference with this install is that beside the Bass.dll file I refused to overwrite the various files when asked (for model.X etc).

Now I get the new version of the cockpit, I also get the nebulas in the background of the intro movie that I didn't have before.

But it still crashes when I hit a key to begin the game.
Is there a way to make windows give more precise data on crashes ?

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

Hi LostJameson

I'm a little confused how you are setting it up.

A basic installation process should be as follows - extract the ittiz base pack first, followed by the ffed3daj v1.11 and core zips.

You must allow files to be overwritten if asked - there may be a couple of texture clashes as ittiz had added some new ones for his own build, and there are certain models I've updated in the core pack that FFED3DAJ needs to fix issues such as docking bays.

And when you add the primary ffed3daj zip over the ittiz set you must allow it to overwrite bass.dll.
FFED3DAJ uses a later library than FFED3D/Ittiz did. (2.4 vs 2.3.0.1). If you have the wrong version then this might be why the game is crashing. I'm thinking it is trying to play the 'bing' sound when opening the load-game screen or when it displays the 1st daily message in the game and this is what is causing the crash.

You could try renaming the FX/Music folders temporarily or change the pathnames in the .cfg file to false paths to see if not loading the sounds stops the game crashing.
It also sounded like you have created the FFED3D folder on your desktop. I'm wondering if this might be causing any issues - are you able to cut and paste the game folder to the root C: path and try running it from there?

And you are running FFED3DAJ.exe or are you running one of the other modified builds?

I do have some logging built into FFED3DAJ that helped me track down a whole heap of other issues in the past. If you are still getting crashes after a proper setup then we might have to turn it on to see if it highlights what it does just before falling over.

If the textures are now loading OK then I suspect that perhaps you had switched on the experimental settings to load textures into video memory last time. nanite2000's textures use a lot of extra memory to load and it's probably failing to load them all. That would explain the white planet and why the cockpit fell back to using the bitmaps - it must have failed to load the skin texture for the panel.x model.

Cheers
AndyJ

(btw I didn't get any .cfg info in the PM, sorry, it was just 2 lines long.)

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

I did use your Bass.dll in the new install, but not the textures...
I'll try to move the folder to C: and use all your new textures.
I'll change the name of sound directory too, but I get proper music in the intro movie.
I run FFED3DAJ (tried all each other once, to same result).

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5