Clear all

Newbie question...

Merquise
(@merquise)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hey folks,

I downloaded FFE3DAJ and I got it to work 🙂

Gawd I missed this game. Such a good game. So many memories.

Speaking of memories...

I can't remember how to select a target for my auto-pilot, WITHOUT using the Nav computer.

With nav computer it;s easy, press N then select a base.

But without?

I thought it was possible to go to the system map, then zoom in all the way to the base I want to land on.

Then I vaguely remember I have to press..... T? C? .... V?

I can't remember 🙁

Can anyone help me?

AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

Hi Merquise & welcome!

In the system map view you can press 'T' and should then be able to click on the base/space-station to select it as your navigation point.

Hope that helps!

AndyJ

ReplyQuote
Merquise
(@merquise)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Weird...

I seem to be unable to press T when in system map.

This is the map we're talking about, right?

Untitled.jpg

ReplyQuote
Merquise
(@merquise)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Oh dooohhhhhh......

Wrong map 🙂

Fixed it, thnx very much !

Gonna enjoy hours and hours of this game.

ReplyQuote
Merquise
(@merquise)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

I have a new question.

Is there a way to use the old ship models?

WHen I click on a ship int he 'buy new ships' screen, I think I see the 'old' original model for s a split second before the new model gets loaded.

I kind of like the old models better, since they bring back memories.

Is there a way to remove the new models and to play withthe old model ships?

ReplyQuote
MV2000
(@mv2000)
Warrant Officer Registered

I have a new question.

WHen I click on a ship int he 'buy new ships' screen, I think I see the 'old' original model for s a split second before the new model gets loaded.

Perhaps it takes some time to load those 'new' models.

If I recall some ships still retain their 'old' models as well.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

IIRC You can just replace the new models with the old models in the correct folder but you will need to find them first, not sure if their is a download for them, best place to look would be the Russian Elite games forum. http://www.elite-games.ru/

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

I have a new question.

Hi Merquise

Yes, you can use the 'old' polygon models by setting usePrimitiveModels=1 in the ffed3daj.cfg file. This setting applies to buildings and space stations as well as ships. (You can also toggle this mode on/off in-game by pressing CTRL + HOME)

I also have a soft-spot for those original models and have just spent a lot of time hand-fixing the positions of individual polygons at draw-time to fix most of their issues. (!) 

Ship id's now appear, as do landing-gear bays, cyan engines, cockpits, stripes, lines and those shark-teeth decals ... the little cobra in my avatar is an in-game shot from the new v1.05 which I've just uploaded <a href=""" here

The old ships temporarily appear due to the model management in the FFED3DAJ builds which tries to keep a lid on memory usage so that it doesn't crash. With the latest build though, 64bit Windows users with >2GB can now pre-load everything at start up (using modelPreLoad=99), whilst 32bit users with 2GB+ may be able to do so as well, but will probably need to disable/lower the multiple skins settings and perhaps use the low-resolution skies - but in doing should then just about be able to squeeze all of the models/textures into memory, it just requires a little bit of tuning by the user on 32bit Windows as less memory (2GB) is available. 

Anyway - loads of fixes in this latest build, so hopefully y'all have fun with it! B)

ReplyQuote
Merquise
(@merquise)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

This is truly truly awesome 🙂

Thnx again for this!

At my work, I have a colleague, 22 years old.

He never even heard about Elite.

I put the game on an USB stick and showed it to him with a small tutorial.

Gave him the stick last friday, and today he told me he had been playing the game all weekend long 😀

Such a great game, such a good conversion.

Seriously: kudo's to you AndyJ and all who are involved in making this possible 🙂

ReplyQuote
AndyJ
(@andyj)
Senior Chief Registered

Cheers Merquise.

Just a heads-up that I've needed to upload a v1.05a patch file, unfortunately the ffed3daj.cfg file that was included in the previous version was broken... my apologies for any inconvenience! 

ReplyQuote