Notifications
Clear all

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Page 2 / 2

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Guess its not selling well:  http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/4/4063842/layoffs-hit-one-of-the-aliens-colonial-marines-development-studios

If anything in June/July when steam has those summer sales might be able to get it cheap.

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

Even then I wouldn't bother, and with the 4GB update that's come out, it still looks and plays awfully.

I'd rather play the new SimCity over A: CM, I'd rather sit in a traffic jam, I'd rather....you get the picture.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

4GB update that's just ridiculous.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I'd rather play the new SimCity over A: CM, I'd rather sit in a traffic jam, I'd rather....you get the picture.

Looks like Celticfang is trying to steer our eyes away from this game 🙂 I have to admit when I read that they put out a 4GB patch your think to yourself, wow that game must be screwed up to have a big download like that 🙂

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Well, I saw a detailed review on a TV show recently and those guys were saying this is , hands down, the worst game they have played in recent years. They even proved that you can play the game without having to shoot the aliens because you can easily run past them, as you run faster than them, or you can run in circles around them while shooting them and they'll never catch you .... so that's pretty screwed up in my opinion, after all I always saw the aliens as being this incredibly powerful and vicious enemy that will rip me into tiny pieces if I'm not on top of my game, least that's how the old games were. 

ReplyQuote
Gunbladelad
(@gunbladelad)
Master Chief Registered

I know that Colonial Marines has been taking more of a pasting than a guy with a Spud gun walking into a Xenomorph hive, but I thought I'd just share this little nugget of information.

Aliens : Infestation on the Nintendo DS actually has the same story as Colonial Marines (A team goes off to investigate the Sulaco), but it plays very much like the 2D Metroid games and is so much better for it. I'd recommend any DS owners track down a copy if they can - they wont regret it.

If in doubt, about the gameplay, here's a video someone took of one of the boss battles

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

Ouch, though in fairness they were asking for it though with their tactics. The DS version actually looks interesting however.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Just to wander of topic for a minute but do AAA games still have demos, don't seem to recall seeing any lately?.

ReplyQuote
LancerSolurus
(@lancersolurus)
Senior Chief Registered

Just wondering, just because they changed the 3d models in those screenshots, whats the big deal? I am developing a game and I have many times gone back and reworked a model and/or texture mapping as I got better at it. It's nothing new. If it's game play elements, they really didn't get their point across in that article, not with those screenshots. The videos for the game did looked contrived, looked like it was made in a 3d package such as max, which is common for cutscenes in many BBB games (where did the AAA naming crap come from anyways since most are crap). I find more indie dev games have more replay value than most of the so-called AAA games. The gist is, what changed so much that there was a lawsuit filed, wasn't mention in the post unless I missed it. If it was the video showed actual gameplay footage, it was obvious from the videos that it wasn't, it was pre-generated footage. Maybe he can go after TV commercials next for false claims, look at how many food commercials make food look much better than it's actually is 😉 .

ReplyQuote
celticfang
(@celticfang)
Senior Chief Registered

AFAIK, it wasn't just models, it was a whole other engine they were using for the demo footage, the things in the demo were not in the full game, and couldn't be put in there.

In other news....

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/03/times-up-aliens-co-dev-timegate-files-for-bankruptcy/#comments

Timegate goes bankrupt with $10 to $50 million liabilities, $3.75 million fraud suit (WHY did Gearbox choose them then?) from Southpeak Interactive.

So.....Gearbox picked them even AFTER they had a fraud suit looming?

ReplyQuote
LancerSolurus
(@lancersolurus)
Senior Chief Registered

Lovely, that was really smart, NOT

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2