Notifications
Clear all

Approaching Infinity

Page 2 / 2

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Nice post from Bob on Kickstarter regarding the game and his tie up with his publisher Shrapnel.

Greetings all Kickstarter Backers of Approaching Infinity!

As you may or may not have read, I have reached a publishing agreement with Shrapnel Games for Approaching Infinity. This is very exciting for me. Shrapnel has been releasing strategy games for 15 years, and they put out one of my all time favorites, Space Empires IV !

3cddbd66cc9346790a0ed4b3096b14a0_large.p

All kickstarter backers will receive the game from me, as a digital download, as originally promised. Steam is on hold, since Shrapnel is now in charge of advertising and distribution. However, there is a 2-3 month timeline extension, due to their extensive beta testing and production requirements.

But: I will not ask you awesome people to wait another 3 months for the game. This weekend, I will post a version for all kickstarter backers of the $10+ tiers. This version will be unlimited, and should definitely satisfy your Approaching Infinity needs. When the true final version becomes available later, you will receive a download of that as well, but the coming version satisfies all of the original design parameters (and more!).

One thing I have not been able to do yet is to get the Mac version working. I apologize. I still fully intend to make this happen, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

Thank you all for your patience and support,

Bob 😉

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Looks like bob deals with shrapnel is bearing fruit

(I guess there's no limit to how many ! you can put...good to know!) (!)

Shrapnel Games is pleased to announce the pending release of Approaching Infinity!

And I'm pretty happy about it too 😉

4676e50cd4b5fdbe437fb25efcc11533_large.p

It's still not over yet, but holy cow, are we close! Of course you guys don't have to buy it from there, it would never have been made without your support in the beginning. But you could always go give the game a review or something... So one more time (but not the last) I say THANK YOU.

There is also a public forum available now. Ask questions, post screenshots, make requests, YASD / YAVP posts, etc.

<3

Bob!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Nice

Just a quick note to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the funding of Approaching Infinity on kickstarter!

It has really come a long way in all that time. Shrapnel Games is releasing it for download on Monday, December 15th. Version 1.0.0 will also become available to kickstarter backers on that day. There is a 60-page manual and a full modding guide too!

You are all invited to the official Approaching Infinity forums. I will also be appearing on the Average Giants show Monday, January 12th at 9:00pm EST at  http://www.hitbox.tv/indiegamemagazine  so sign up for Hitbox and get your questions ready!

1bd6fe40525b0833361a3df5347603ee_large.p

Thanks as always,

Bob

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Congratulation to Bob on the release of the game.

Hi, everyone,

Approaching Infinity Release day is finally here!

I am in the process of sending out surveys. They only ask for a current email. The point is to make sure that I get in touch with people who have opted out of updates and such. So please do fill out the survey.

As it is, I have to send an individual email to each and every one of you, because I need to distribute unique serial numbers. So, this is going to take some time. Please bear with me, and I will get to you. Here is what you will be getting:

•  The Full Game  
  •  60 Page PDF Manual 
  •  30 Page PDF Modding Guide 
  •  Wallpaper Collection 
  •  The Improved Shipwreck Level Designer

"Soundtrack" backers will also receive the download link for that.

$50+ backers will receive the "kickstarter" code, and $75+ will receive the "shipyard master" code.

The $100 book and the "Approaching Infinity Travel Guide" are not done yet (or started yet), but they will come...They're in my mind, I just can't send you that 😉

You also have the opportunity to purchase the physical boxed version of AI for only $25 from Shrapnel Games until January 15th... I can't wait to get my copies...gonna wear it around my neck!

Happy and busy,

Bob

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Bob sub-comes to the YouTube phenomena knows as the "unboxing video".

Love to get one but Shrapnel international shipping price is nearly as much as the game.

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

Well. I bounced off this game pretty hard the first time I tried it. Today I gave it a second chance. The demo includes 7 sectors which is a fair amount of game play. Maybe two hours if you are good at Roguelikes.

This game really hits that Star Trek craving that I just cannot fill. I need to captain a starship, but thats a rare thing in video games. Its alot more complex then I was expecting. Fairly easy to learn but there is a hidden depth with a whole lot of things to do and a variety of ways to make money. Its a true roguelike, and if you have played ToME then I think you will like this game.

My biggest worry is the publisher. Shrapnel games has a fairly grim reputation online. They use a limited activation form of DRM. Three activations. You can get more but you have to contact support. Which is reputed to be fairly terriblr about giving out keys.

Also the price at 40 is quite steep. On the other hand the game is truly excellent and I have put a fair amount of hours into the demo.(!)

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Awesome game and that from some one who does not play these Roguelike games much, thought the bank it forward is a good idea.

I agree the price is a bit on the steep side, I backed the Kickstarter so got it for $20.00.

ReplyQuote
DARI
 DARI
(@dari)
Senior Chief Registered

There is a sale on shrapnel games - for around 30$ -  looks like a promotion during that IRDC event.

now i have to go and mourn my loss of my ship short after i had THAT amulet in my captains hand...

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

Man game is awesome. I havn't played since before the 1.2 update. Having a blast.

One of the best Trek type games out there. I really feel like a ship captain.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Games popped up on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/551620/Approaching_Infinity/ and if I read right it's a new and improved version of the game.

Should be out 7 of August.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

And the game is out today, early other wise it's been a bit of slow week.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2