Notifications
Clear all

HELP NEEDED COMRADES!

FrankFu
(@frankfu)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Greetings guys! I'm currently developing a mini space strategy game called Locust (guys also on itch.io may have seen my crude prototype), which is inspired by Ender's Game and The Three Body Problem. The game is about commanding large fleet(currently it can handle up to 1200 units nicely) against ever larger hostile fleets with randomly generated tactics and equipment and salvaging resource from each battle for survival. (every unit has its ai and can interact with each other in some ways.)

attached are current dev screenshots.

stress test of yesterday

2SjPLC.gif

Ship design menu(without any decoration yet!)

iEB62X.png

I'm currently working on the control of this game - currently the method of control is selecting desired squadrons and type in short commands(you see that dos-style console background) about movements, tactics and targeting priority. I wish you could drop your thoughts about your preferred way of / idea about controlling and/or what specific command do you wish to be included in the game.

Thank you so much!

McAule
(@mcaule)
Master Chief Registered

Voice command is a way to go. Good example Tom Clancy's Endwar. I know it's a pain to do it, button mashing dos commands isn't really effective. There are some software like Voice Attack that let's do it. Look into it 😉

ReplyQuote
FrankFu
(@frankfu)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Voice command is a way to go. Good example Tom Clancy's Endwar. I know it's a pain to do it, button mashing dos commands isn't really effective. There are some software like Voice Attack that let's do it. Look into it 😉

hmm...I'm started trying webcam gesture today (started to learn opencv actually), and voice command sounds just as nice. need to look it up. 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Will you be giving instructions to various fighter groups or all your forces as a whole? Because in your simulation the action looks pretty fast paced and could be chaotic for a player at times as they made the wrong judgement on tactics and gets wiped out 🙂

Does the enemy AI have tactics it deploys or does it just rush the opponent? I guess control can be better realized knowing how the actual fighting and its speed is done? So you can better guess a control scheme.

ReplyQuote
FrankFu
(@frankfu)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Will you be giving instructions to various fighter groups or all your forces as a whole? Because in your simulation the action looks pretty fast paced and could be chaotic for a player at times as they made the wrong judgement on tactics and gets wiped out 🙂

Does the enemy AI have tactics it deploys or does it just rush the opponent? I guess control can be better realized knowing how the actual fighting and its speed is done? So 

The game is based on squadron- every drone(D) & frigate(F) will be automatically assigned to a carrier(C).

by default they'll fly in wall formation, with position automatically assigned according to weapon range.

you can :

1.issue orders, e.g. 3d movement, concentrate fire, disperse, contract, concentrate firepower, ambush and regroup to individual/multiple squadrons

2.change the targeting priority for each type of unit (e.g., order all drones to primarily attack enemy ship-type 0)

(every level has randomly generated enemy unit type, and you need to observe their behavior to issue orders)

3.select all of one particular type of ship in your current selection and issue order(but all ships of same type still load their targeting priority from one template. this will prob. be changed.)

AI squadrons basically do the same thing. Units acts according to both their own "assessment" of situation and the commands from their nodes, and nodes interact to find the best vantage point. (Since the basic systems are still incomplete AI testing is pending.)

The speed will be reduced to kind of homeworld-ish(to suit the large unit number and "retro" graphic ). Now all the units are locked to max speed for testing (and enemies don't even have "dogfight" AI now).  and please ignore enjoy the yellow cuboid. it's only made for testing.

And...Yes I always get wiped out by AI in tests

You can change ship design between levels and all ships of same type will change equipment (and ask for $) simultaneously.

ReplyQuote