Notifications
Clear all

John Carter - Warlord of Mars

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

If they do this book(s) justice and stay true to the characters and all of the life on Mars and the races this will be a truly epic game IF they can pull it off and they have the talent and the time to make it come true. The last time I funded a kickstarter was Star Citizen hahaha (yeah I guess you can say I am bitter on Kickstarter...) but if this kickstarter shows promise I might fund this project because I love these books and I listen to the audio books in the car all the time and I suggest people read or listen to this series of books by Edgar Rice Burroughs because they are excellent.

Check it out here: http://jcwom.com/

This particular book has a lot of action and is really big in scale so it will definitely be interesting in how this world will come to life.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Will it be single player or online?.

Just re watched the film a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it bit of shame they never got to do any more.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @pinback

Will it be single player or online?.

I would be surprised if it wasn't going to be single player, the story is mainly focused on John Carter and all other characters are supporting cast and it wouldn't make sense to make this a MP style of game. But we'll know more when the kickstarter kicks off.

Just re watched the film a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it bit of shame they never got to do any more.

I like the movie as well, Disney didn't do this movie justice and should have invested the money to tell the story. The movie is based on the first two books, when one movie could be a whole movie easy so they compressed a lot of content into 2hrs 😉 and people not familiar with the books might have the feeling of like.... what the heck is going on 🙂

I have to purchase the blu-ray movie to add it to my collection because I like this movie and wish more people would have watched it because I do think its underrated.

This post was modified 3 years ago by DarkOne

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @sscadmin

I am bitter on Kickstarter

Kickstarter? Barsoom? Don't get your thoat cut!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Nice find!

When I was a kid, Marvel (I think) put the stories out as comic books, about 23 total, man I wish I still had them. That's how I was introduced to John Carter, Dejah, Kantos and the rest, wonderful stories all. I actually liked the movie, warts and all as I'm a big fan, I will be keenly interested in this.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Just looked it up and Disney did put some money into the film according to the internet $350 million and the film tanked at the box office, making it one of the most costly films ever made.

IIRC they pushed it as the new Star Wars for the next generation, but when it failed they bought Star Wars and screwed that up as well.

Back to the game and I hope it is a single player game but it looks like they have move the setting on Earth from the wild west to WWll. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by Pinback

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Just looked it up and Disney did put some money into the film according to the internet $350 million and the film tanked at the box office, making it one of the most costly films ever made.

Oh Disney did spend a lot of money on the movie, their one big mistake is they were marketing this towards young boys and not the target audience which would have been adults because there is a definitely a love story here and plenty of fighting. I remember here in the states the advertisements for this movie were almost non-existent and like you mentioned Pinback disney bought star wars before the movie came out and disney almost scrapped the whole thing so their hearts were not into the success of the movie unfortunately 🙁

This was a good video explaining the drama around the movie

Posted by: @gaius-konstantine

That's how I was introduced to John Carter, Dejah, Kantos and the rest, wonderful stories all. I actually liked the movie, warts and all as I'm a big fan, I will be keenly interested in this.

Oh I agree Gaius, these books are amazing and I am very surprised to date no one has really gone after this IP because there is some very good story telling here .... yeah they need to alter the dialog to todays standards haha but overall amazing books. Just downloaded 'Thuvia, Maid of Mars' and will be listening too it on walks and in the car. I try too at least hit this series up once a year if I can.... you can get them all off LibriVox and I like Mark Nelson the best as the reader.

But IF and thats a big IF this developer can really re-create Barsoom it will definitely be a buy for me.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Interesting video that but I think he missed an impotent point in that big budget  scfi space opera/fantasy has has been decline over the last 15 years or so. 

If they ever get around to something with books then they should go for a TV series.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

The kickstarter should be starting this month sometime

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Excellent single player game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Not seen any mention of this in about 5 months now, I guess the Kickstarter never happened so has it been abandoned or delayed?.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Yeah I looked a few weeks ago and haven't seen any progress on this since that announcement. Who knows what state its in? Keeping fingers crossed that this will see the light of day.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

New news, not sure what to think of it since they are changing the time period in which this takes place on Earth but this could fit in general since the majority of the story happens on Mars.... they may be doing this to capture a wider audience as well with the whole WW2 theme behind it.... a little nugget from the article is possible May 2022 release date.... seems kinda soon to be honest.

https://jcwom.com/world-renowned-spy-author-ian-fleming-to-feature-in-upcoming-video-game-john-carter-warlord-of-mars

This post was modified 2 years ago by DarkOne

ReplyQuote