Notifications
Clear all

Star Control: Origins

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

You can find out more information about the upcoming game on this page: https://www.stardock.com/games/article/488324

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

New trailer:

Looks like this is releasing on 9/20 so not too much longer, check it out on steam here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/271260/Star_Control_Origins/

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Star Control: Origins launches today: https://www.stardock.com/games/starcontrol/store#purchase

ReplyQuote
IronHound
(@ironhound)
Warrant Officer Registered

I bought it without nostalgia, but man. I was turned off of Ur Quan Masters because of the time limits. (which is odd, I love SR2 which ... has a time limit. : ) I guess I didn't play enough to realize what Star Control 2 really is.

If everyone could take off their nostalgia glasses for a second...

...its a choose your own adventure game. You talk to aliens and choose what you will do, and really it boils down to a few asteroids type mini-games or rock gathering. Not for me at all. Granted the same could be said of Mass Effect.... but I dunno. Its just not my type of space sim.

Furthermore... the new SC Origins ... is a bit... unbalanced? Its very odd in how it handles things. The developers specifically state that you need to talk to aliens to advance the story... but the only way to do this is grind endless planets for resources to afford gear, to beat the combat sections to talk to more aliens to get back to grinding. I dunno. Its not for me. Love the visual style however.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Looks like there is some free DLC released and a new patch that was recently release for Star Control Origins:

The Multiverse DLC includes access to the Multiverse option on the main menu of Star Control: Origins, which is where players will be able to download mods from others in the Steam community and apply them to their game. This is also where players are able to share their mods with others.

In addition to the new mod sharing options, the Multiverse DLC gives access to Adventure Studio. There, players can create an epic quest that spans the galaxy, complete with custom characters, dialogue options, and more. The other editors - world, ship, and building - will let players create assets to enhance those quests and make them truly unique. The studio's interface makes it easy for players without mod experience to get in on the fun, too.

Along with the Multiverse DLC comes Star Control: Origins v1.1. This update includes improvements to gameplay, graphics, and game balancing. Several other enhancements, including a new quest line, new voices for Free Trandals, and improved rover physics, have also been included.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Some sort of DLC or part 1 of a season pass for the game.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Game been removed from Steam and GOG as the legal battle continues. https://www.overclock3d.net/news/software/star_control_origins_removed_from_steam_and_gog_through_dmca_claim/1

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

A nice series of videos, trying to explain the whole mess:

This is the last one actually, about the DMCA. Even though, I think that Paul and Fred have the rights to SC2 universe, and Stardock fired the first (unnecessary IMHO) shot, I want both games to be produced, and I would buy both of them. (I will buy "Ghosts" actually. I've already bought "Origins"!!!)

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Interesting what that guy says and I guess this is going to rumble on for a while.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Look like the game back on sale as it in the current Steam sale.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

The game on sale with 50% percent off , now is worth getting.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Game just got a update to the graphics https://steamcommunity.com/games/starcontrolorigins/announcements/detail/1618396664101675738

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

Looks like they released the final part to the Earth Rising expansion: https://store.steampowered.com/app/961150/Star_Control_Origins__Earth_Rising_Expansion/

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

So how is this guys, I played the original of course, started with Star Control 1 on Sega and then years later I picked up the Ur-Quan Masters. After fiddling around with my machine I got it to play and loved it about as much as Starflight, (Yes, I am old). Then I heard about this version and the swirl of publicity around it. I checked some player reviews after it released and that left me un-decided. Anyone care to share some thoughts on this for an old space gamer like me?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Topic starter  

This game just didn't excite me at all to be honest and unless a game really peaks my interest I don't even bother especially since i have hundreds of games I need to play 🙂 yeah the combat looks a bit better and the planet side stuff is a lot better than top down view... but they could have really made it a 3d world to explore instead of the small globe shown in the videos. I mean the are capturing most of the original game mechanics and touching them up, but this game needed more for me to make it a purchase, I may pick it up on a good sale. But there is a few free options out there as well too like Starflight the lost colony and others

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @sscadmin

This game just didn't excite me at all to be honest

That's what I'm getting from a lot of the player reviews I've seen, so I think I will continue to pass.

You mentioned the lost colony, are you aware of this one guy who is attempting to remake the original?

https://www.indiedb.com/games/starflight-the-remaking-of-a-legend

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Posted by: @gaius-konstantine
Posted by: @sscadmin

This game just didn't excite me at all to be honest

That's what I'm getting from a lot of the player reviews I've seen, so I think I will continue to pass.

You mentioned the lost colony, are you aware of this one guy who is attempting to remake the original?

https://www.indiedb.com/games/starflight-the-remaking-of-a-legend

That looks like a new remake of Starflight, we used to have a thread for Starflight lost colony but it seems to have gone awol.

Got the game but never got around to playing this new version of Star Control.

ReplyQuote
Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @pinback

That looks like a new remake of Starflight,

Yes Pinback, it's a remake of the classic and he is basically rebuilding it on a modern engine while upgrading the graphics step by step. It's also free. It will just bring the game up to today's standards and not add anything new, still I can't wait to grab a copy of this. 

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @gaius-konstantine

Yes Pinback, it's a remake of the classic and he is basically rebuilding it on a modern engine while upgrading the graphics step by step. It's also free. It will just bring the game up to today's standards and not add anything new, still I can't wait to grab a copy of this. 

That takes me back - interesting!

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote