Notifications
Clear all

STARDROP

Orphanage
(@orphanage)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  
Hello there everyone!

My name is Orphanage and I am a playtester for STARDROP as well as community assistant.

The main goal of this forum thread is to create more awareness for the game and to further grow our community as well as to interact with them by answering questions, discuss concerns or to just have a fun chat.

STARDROP is a narrative driven Sci-Fi first person adventure and exploration game set in future.

You, the player, takes on the role of Aryn Vance who is a Salvage and Rescue operative. Aryn goes out and explores lost or in need of rescue space ships.

The game takes place during a routine salvage operation of an unknown derelict spacecraft. 

Aryn sets out to unravel the mystery surrouding this unknown ship only to learn that sometimes, friendship can be found in the last place she would ever expect.

STARDROP breaks away from the typical gritty dark Sci-Fi to employ a much warmer and friendlier experience touching on some fundemental issues that deal with what it means to be human packed into a story about friendship and its implications.

Features:

- Exploring three spacecraft (Including Aryns) and delving deeper into them while trying to find out what happened to them and unraveling their mysteries.

- Family friendly narrative driven experience.

- A very strong and rich story driven by an incredible talented cast of voice actors.

- Diverse amount of interesting puzzles to be solved and secrets to be uncovered.

- Interactive interfaces such as you DataPad and Computer interfaces.

- STARDROP will be delivered with a DRM-Free option at various online retailers once released.

Media?! Sure.

Screenshots:

SD_MCCV-2_04.jpg

SD_Space_01.jpg

SD_Dropship_05.jpg

(If you want me upload more images, feel free to ask in this thread.)

We also got our custom Google Chrome's theme with STARDROP design. Here, a screenshot that shows the design of theme itself.

[attachment=3485:Updated with new image, logos, added Team V logo as author creator.png]

If you are using Google Chrome and you liked STARDROP, you can use our theme as well to show your support. (Please make sure you will pick a correct resolution as Google Chrome has no auto-scale feature built in.)

Pre-release trailer(2016).

Gameplay teaser.

If you are interested in the game feel free to ask any questions, make remarks or simply show concerns regarding the game. I will reply to them personally when I am able to.

You can also follow us on FacebookTwitterIndieDB and ask questions there.

http://jourev.wix.com/stardropgame  < STARDROP website, you can also download demo version of STARDROP from there!(Please be advised that current demo version is outdated. We will fix that as soon as possible.)

< Facebook.

Thank you to everyone who had time and read this whole thread and I wish you good luck in future!

Orphanage

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Aye some video would be nice and is this a point & click game?.

ReplyQuote
Joure
(@joure)
Petty Officer Registered

Aye some video would be nice and is this a point & click game?.

Hello. I'm Joure, the creator.

In short, nah this is a first person adventure and exploration game.

Sorry we forgot to include a link to our YouTube page.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHJW0ya7GsZbnFgAIinUsgQ

There's a let's play playlist on there of the demo (which you can also download from the site) Some of these videos are now a tad outdated as things evolve.

www.stardropgame.com

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Here is a nice video of the game:

I have a few questions, and I love adventure and story driven games so Stardrop is definitely interesting to me.

1. What can players look forward to encountering on their salvage/rescue missions?
2. Does the story or outcome change depending on what the player does?
3. Can the player die in the game?
4. Are there stressful situations in which a player or someone to save is put against a time limit?
5. Will there be any combat elements to the game?
6. If Stardrop is successful could there be more missions added to the game as DLC?

ReplyQuote
Orphanage
(@orphanage)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hello there, sscadmin!

I can answer on some questions but not at every question though, as we are still developing stuff.

>3. Can the player die in the game?

No.

>5. Will there be any combat elements to the game?

Not really. The only combat move(if we can call it like that?) will be running away from Androids who guards the area.

>6. If Stardrop is successful could there be more missions added to the game as DLC? 

Most likely not, although I can be mistaken. I need to verify that information with Joure.

I hope these answers will be alright for you.

Thanks and good luck in future!

-Orphanage

ReplyQuote
Joure
(@joure)
Petty Officer Registered

Here is a nice video of the game:

I have a few questions, and I love adventure and story driven games so Stardrop is definitely interesting to me.

1. What can players look forward to encountering on their salvage/rescue missions?

2. Does the story or outcome change depending on what the player does?

3. Can the player die in the game?

4. Are there stressful situations in which a player or someone to save is put against a time limit?

5. Will there be any combat elements to the game?

6. If Stardrop is successful could there be more missions added to the game as DLC?

Hi, sscadmin.

I'll be glad to fully answer your questions.

1. For now The game revolves around one single mission (taking place aboard two ships). I believe that the focus should be on a good story and the one I have planned, to me at least, is one worth telling. 

As to what you can be looking forward to is simply forwarding the story. The game is a very character based experience and the fun part (mostly, but not entirely) comes from their banter.

There's also a lot of exploring and discovering to be had. Some areas might be locked down and you'll need to do certain tasks to gain access or be able to further gain access.

And, as you can see in the video, there'll be a number of DataPads lying around as well as computer terminals that you can access at certain points to learn more about the ships background and the crew itself.

2. I am leaning heavily towards no. As much as I appreciate the ability of being able to make choices during games. And because games are an interactive medium for STARDROP I would say; most likely not. It would ruin the ending that the story needs to tell in order to make the overall message work. I have and still am debating over being able to make one important choice near the end of the game but as I said, I will need to further run this through my head to see what the implication would be. So for now I am sticking with no. I'm an old school gamer and I love singleplayer games and so far very few games, if any, have made me feel that multiple endings are a great thing. Silent Hill is one game that made it work and I thought Life Is Strange was done very well too. Another problem to me is that if I would make a sequel what should be the canon ending. I don't like to implicate myself and the game in such a way. So don't count on it. 🙂

3. Nope. No deaths. STARDROP is not going into anything gritty, at least not for the sake of being gritty. It's meant to be a more uplifting experience but with exceptions. There's no cursing or swearing and in general I just want the player to have fun and enjoying the exploration part along with the characters interacting and unfolding the story itself.

4. Not everything is yet set in stone. I am still evaluating what I could add and what would be acceptable in terms of the core gameplay mechanics. Adding something like a time limit means that there's something at risk and that usually revolves around a life or death situation. It doesn't have to of course but then you'd open the game up for getting annoying so I try to avoid these kinds of situations as much as possible. Right now I have an alarm system in place that once triggered, the player has to deactivate it in order to be able to advance, or leave the area and I am making sure that triggering the alarm is not easy. I'm still testing the limits of the system and how people deal with that in general but I have some ideas to create some levels that are more challenging in that regard but most likely will not be in the main game itself.

5. No combat. There are enough Sci-Fi combat games out there and I wanted to try my hand at something that's exactly the opposite. I want to create a game that puts something more positive to the forefront hence why I'm not using curse words in the dialog. Even the word "shit" is something I want to avoid.

6. Paid DLC, I'm inclined to say no. I want to add a few different and smaller missions to the game. Something that you could see as challenges. These would be minor missions and would have a simpler story around them where each mission would highlight a certain gameplay feature and adding some dialog to it to give the mission a meaning. So, if the game is successful enough those would be added for free for sure. On top ofthat the first DLC that I would add, which will be free regardless of success, is en epilogue. The ending of the game will be substantial and planned to be longer then just one or two small scenes. The implications of the games ending is something that is going to get a good amount of time to be fully told. it won't be half an hour or something, more around 15 minutes or even more. After that I want to create a new mission that takes place after the main mission. I can't really say much more then that but it's something that I would find interesting to explore and would be a good way to get them ready for a possible sequel if I am so lucky to be able to make one. 🙂

Sorry if the answers are a bit long winded but I want to make sure that I fully explain them. Feel free to follow-up if you have any others.

EDIT: I would like to add that STARDROP, in a number if ways, is a tad experimental. At least for me as a developer and also because it's not doing what every other game usually does (shooting, or offering incredibly skill-based gameplay) but it's also not trying to do something no other game has never done either. Gameplay purely for the sake of it is not the centerpiece. It's there to add depth to the game and not be just a simple walking simulator. Nothing about the game is ever meant to be incredibly difficult nor challenging. It's all about exploring and adventuring with a number of fun puzzles in some areas. I guess in some ways the game could be compared to Firewatch. Although I started the game long before I heard about it, there are a number of similarities between the two and I am actually glad it was successful as I loved it myself. That said, it will not be duplicating anything from it. In essence, STARDROP is the kind of game I would like to play. Something not overly difficult and which is not incredibly long.

ReplyQuote
Orphanage
(@orphanage)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

We just uploaded a gameplay teaser for our community. Please be advised that minor spoilers are ahead.

Thanks and good luck in future!

-Orphanage

*Upd*

Added video in first post.

ReplyQuote
Orphanage
(@orphanage)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

And another video by Joure: Intro sequence.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

Nice teaser video and the voice acting is great and really sets up the atmosphere of the game and the inside visuals of the ship are very nice and believable. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Orphanage
(@orphanage)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

There was a silence indeed in terms of communication between us and community but we finally managed to release a new video of STARDROP: Pre-release trailer.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Sorry I missed the kickstarter and sorry you didnt make your funding target on this . I've just now found out about the game thanks to the banner of Joure in another post. Played the demo too and liked where your going with this guys. If you decide to do another kickstarter or other method, lets us know would you?

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Orphanage
(@orphanage)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Sorry I missed the kickstarter and sorry you didnt make your funding target on this . I've just now found out about the game thanks to the banner of Joure in another post. Played the demo too and liked where your going with this guys. If you decide to do another kickstarter or other method, lets us know would you?

Good luck!

Hey, Garaldine! Thank you for showing your interest.

We are still looking for different options at this moment but we will provide new announcements when things gets sorted out. Stay tuned.

Thanks and good luck.

ReplyQuote
Joure
(@joure)
Petty Officer Registered

Good luck!

Hi Geraldine. Don't worry about missing it. Being a small indie game comes with limited exposure. It's tough to reach out as it is with so many games out there. 😉

I wanted to make a general announcement here anyway.

We launched our own personal crowdfudning campaign which I dubbed the "STARDROP Crowdfunding Initiative".

It's pretty much just like kickstarter but it works just a tad different.  There are a few reasons behind this and most of them resolve around personal issues and also not really being able to start another campaign on KS as it is. I am not facing a deadline or a pre-set goal simply because I don't want to. We are still in the middle of working out a deal with various parties but this takes time. I want to continue working on the game but having worked for the last 8 months practically without a budget is starting to really tax development.

So I've set up this campaign. No matter which tier you pledge you will get access to the full first chapter of the game which is nearing completion. On top of that the old demo map has been tweaked and worked into a side mission and I'm currently working on a new side mission to offer to those who have access to the game while I sort out other parts of the game and chapter two.

Anyway that's all for now. Once I have more to show about the next mission I'll gladly post another update here. 🙂

Thank you for reading and take care.

ReplyQuote
SolCommand
(@solcommand)
Commander Registered

Seriously nice job !

I love the interior designs you came up with for this game, they look absolutely gorgeous !

Best of luck guys 

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Hi Geraldine. Don't worry about missing it. Being a small indie game comes with limited exposure. It's tough to reach out as it is with so many games out there. 😉

I wanted to make a general announcement here anyway.

We launched our own personal crowdfudning campaign which I dubbed the "STARDROP Crowdfunding Initiative".

Backed!   Good luck, I hope you get plenty of backers.

ReplyQuote
Joure
(@joure)
Petty Officer Registered

Seriously nice job !

I love the interior designs you came up with for this game, they look absolutely gorgeous !

Best of luck guys 

Thank you. I won't beat around the bush in the fact that most of the models are bought from the Epic Marketplace. That said, I have created new materials and did heavy texture edits to create something more unique. On top of that I mic and match a lot from these various packs to further distinguish the game. You might recognize an asset or two from other games. Luckily I've been blessed with having two environment artists working with me and make sure proper assets are created to create enough of a unique visual distinction.

I also try to avoid the more stereotypical Sci-Fi design aesthetics (blue screens with all sorts of complex stuff going on) and try to keep things a tad more grounded and functional. Glad you like it. 🙂

The dream of course is to be able to make a full game from scratch and not having to rely on the market place as much, especially when it comes to models and materials, but for now beingg a small indie and having to do so much on my own it does help and I try to make the most out of it. I'm fully aware of asset flippers out there and I'd hate to get labelled as one...

Backed!   Good luck, I hope you get plenty of backers.

Thanks a lot man, means a lot to me to have people showing their appreciation of the game. I send you an email already and I think you got the key as well. 🙂 Would love to hear what you thought of the first chapter if you feel like sharing the experience with me. Anyway, I mean it. truly means a lot and hope you can feel good about backing the game. The last thing I want is people to feel they made a mistake ...

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Well I can tell you this much Joure. I am not long into the game but even now I am having serious System Shock 2 flashbacks! When I saw that android for the first time walking down a dark corridor towards me with those glowing green eyes that was very creepy indeed!

I like were your going with it.

ReplyQuote
Joure
(@joure)
Petty Officer Registered

Well I can tell you this much Joure. I am not long into the game but even now I am having serious System Shock 2 flashbacks! When I saw that android for the first time walking down a dark corridor towards me with those glowing green eyes that was very creepy indeed!

I like were your going with it.

Thanks a lot for saying that, but please don't get your hopes up. STARDROP will have a very strong story with an even stronger ending there won't be any fighting or action in it. I am doing my best to mix that eerie feeling of being alone in space on desolate space ships and such but also keeping things light hearted and fun. The most interesting thing I have been taking away from STARDROP so far is how players are trained by Sci-Fi games and games in general to be fearful and alert. So I'm kind of running with that while setting up the main story and its conclusion. I'm incredibly curious how people will react to what's in store but I am very optimistic about it, I wouldn't put so much effort into the game if I didn't. 😉

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Yes, the likes of System Shock 2, the Aliens games ect have trained folk to be on alert, but they are more in the horror genre truth be told and its been done many times since then.

The good thing starting from scratch, as you are doing, is you don't need to follow a well trodden path, instead, make the game with your own vision and imagination powering it. It just takes someone to say, "I am not going to follow the formula of how a FPS adventure game ought to go", be bold and do it your way. In my view there isn't nearly enough bold new games these days.

I've also noticed your not afraid to mess with the player's imagination on occasion. Let it run wild I say, leave room for the player fill in the blanks because sometimes not explaining why something happened can actually improve the playing experience.

ReplyQuote
Orphanage
(@orphanage)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  
STARDROP is coming to Steam through Early Access.

We will keep keep SCI active since we're able to offer rewards that we can't on steam. Being on Steam will help us in growing our community.

If you havent visited our SCI campaign just yet, now would be a good time to do so: http://jourev.wixsite.com/stardrop/sci

We have no exact date planned for the game's release just yet but we plan on releasing somewhere in early December (assuming things will go smoothly and aren't hindered by any set backs). I'll update here again with more information when STARDROP will be live on Steam via Early Access.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand, a little sneak preview:

STARDROP_On_Steam.jpg

As usual, thank you everyone and I wish you good luck.

-Orphanage

ReplyQuote
Orphanage
(@orphanage)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hey guys, just wanted to bring another update about STARDROP.

Few minutes ago we have launched our Indiegogo campaign. We decided to use that service instead of Kickstarter due opportunities as well as try get more attention from there and hopefully grow even more community for us.

If you wish to support us or just read the whole page description, please, head to this page:  https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/stardrop#/

Thank you and good luck in future.

-Orphanage

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Nice to see the game made it out of early access, well it will be on the 1st of Feb https://steamcommunity.com/games/stardrop/announcements/detail/3541419313498772558 Going to have to try that demo and if you are thinking of buying into it, wait as the dev says it will be in the upcoming Lunar New Year Sale.

ReplyQuote