Notifications
Clear all

Eden (edenofficial.com)

EdenOfficial
(@edenofficial)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

DarkOne said I should head over here and mention a project I'm working on. The current title (subject to change) is Eden. Its a procedural infinite universe space game. I'm hoping to eventually get some multiplayer modes, but making no promises and plan to release in a Minecraft style (release early, release often).

The game is top down, but in true 3d (there are some 2d prototypes on the site too). I chose not to make a 3d first person space game as there are already so many excellent ones. 2d makes way for a completely different style of play. We have a lot of plans on how to exploit the 2d aspect.

I'm hoping with the procedural nature of the game, that exploration will become a large part of the game. Players can journey around an infinite universe - so there's always something new to find.

The combat will be fast paced, but not counter strike style real time. More real time in a WoW kind of way - but more info on that as it comes.

The blog is frequently updated. I post screenshots and videos, and recently I posted a little test demo that's playable in-browser.

Visit us at http://www.edenofficial.com Here are some screens-

EdenWorldMapLensFlare.png

screen6.png

Tamagoyaki
(@tamagoyaki)
Petty Officer Registered

I demand more frequent site updates! 😉

How much of the game is already done?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I cannot seem to get to your site Eden, is it down?

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

impressive looking 😎

ReplyQuote
EdenOfficial
(@edenofficial)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Darkone - it's working fine for me... And hyperspin thinks its ok - http://www.hyperspin.com/quicktest.php? ... 856&r=7926

Is it still appearing down for you?

Pinback - Thanks 😀

Tamagoyaki - Haha I will try and update as much as possible! Not that much of the game is done at the moment, but I hope to release demos when major breakthroughs are made, so the game will be alpha playable soon hopefully!

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Site working for me no problems with demo.

just a thought about Tamagoyaki problem with the demo but I have an old version of python on my computer might be somthing to with that?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Website working now must have been my browser giving my problems.

Eden, I have been looking at the Unity engine as well. How much actual coding did you have to do to get to the state your in now? Because the unity engine looks great, just wondering on how much of a learning curve there is for a newb like me.

ReplyQuote
EdenOfficial
(@edenofficial)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Not that much code so far because unity is awesome. But there certainly is code... I wrote 300 lines of code just to get the map working (and it doesn't even work very well yet).

I'd certainly recommend looking at unity if you think you're in a position to code. I have no formal coding education, but i find unity pretty easy to code in. I think i actually work faster in unity than in construct now. Coders like to make people think its really hard to do, but I find it fun and rewarding 😀

PINBACK - i don't think the 2d prototype should use your python version at all. The game is bundled with a standalone python dll and that's all it needs to run... Construct can be funny with python though.

ReplyQuote
Tamagoyaki
(@tamagoyaki)
Petty Officer Registered

I'll stay with Construct, but not because of need to write code - I just prefer 2D games 🙂

When can we expect any new information? 😀

ReplyQuote
EdenOfficial
(@edenofficial)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

After a lot of dilly dallying with various problems I was having. I decided to whip out a little online pre-alpha. Here's a video of us floating/flying around and generally not doing much. Since I've also integrated the infinite world with the online test - So me and some friends have been flying around together exploring the universe together which is fun. I hope to add a few more features and get something very basic released that can be played. Maybe just as an online stress test.

Updates on the site - http://www.edenofficial.com

onlinescreen1-1024x461.png

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I'm sure your getting some great satisfaction in the network code working. I would think that would be some of the toughest aspects to code. Cannot wait to see a little dogfighting or other things on the screen in your network play test.

ReplyQuote
EdenOfficial
(@edenofficial)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

It's certainly satisfying - Although I'm already thinking about switching the networking backend in anticipation of having more players later...

I'd like to get a discussion going of what people actually want In an online space game. I'm currently thinking that it would be good to focus the game more on exploration (with friends) than simply leveling and combat. I'd like to exploit the procedural universe (perhaps players/guilds can buy sectors and setup bases there? perhaps the whole world is dynamic?).

I'm looking for some innovative mechanic. But what do you guys actually want from it?

As for combat, I've been thinking for a while its best to have a WoW style combat system (using targets and abilities, rather than a realtime "click to shoot" style system). I'd like to have the combat system emphasise the ability to engage multiple enemies simultaneously - That would be epic (perhaps the game could be designed to favour the player who does rapid target switching?).

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I guess first off for me is whether there is any back story on Eden? I know the universe will be procedural and that is great but maybe there needs to be like a faction/alien home world that is always a constant threat on the players and they are constantly striving to add more sectors to their empire so the players always have an enemy and a way to level. But also provide some nicely scripted missions.

With this in mind you can then have the faction/aliens make real pushes into user controlled areas and have people ban together to fight them off or get an area devastated and they now need to either wait for it to self repair or ban together to recreate damaged assets.

And of course take advantage of the procedural universe and exploration will be a huge factor and provide resources and maybe new tech developments because of this expansion.

Thats just some of my first thoughts. Cannot wait to see Eden develop, and as always if you want a forum for Eden just let me know.

ReplyQuote
EdenOfficial
(@edenofficial)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

About backstory, I can't really comment on that now - But will do soon.

Those are some very interesting ideas though. Never really thought of the idea that players are struggling against some external force. Making the players feel like they are "part of something". Very cool idea.

The question is, do we take a WoW Horde vs Ally idea (where players are essentially split in two, and play largely separately), or are all the players initially on the same side, and can branch off later into smaller factions that can also compete?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

IMO, I would lean towards your second option. This way in the beginning of Eden there is already something to work with and people know the deal. Whether its some faction pushing there way into the solar system by force and depending on how the players do at working together they can either succeed in pushing them back and then they can branch out and fight amongst themselves, with the faction threat only a small one. Or the players have to band together to survive the onslaught 🙂

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

Any new developments in Eden's progress?

ReplyQuote
BrianRubin
(@brianrubin)
Senior Chief Registered

Cool looking game! Can't wait to see more!

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

update

ReplyQuote
BrianRubin
(@brianrubin)
Senior Chief Registered

ollobrain wrote:
update

Whut?

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)

I have been waiting on something as well from EdenOfficial on the status of Eden and I haven't received anything, hope it is still being worked on?

ReplyQuote
EdenOfficial
(@edenofficial)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Sorry about the lack of updates recently. Had all kinds of crazy going on (full time programming job, playing at glastonbury). Going to get back on this as soon as is possible! Will post something on the site/blog soon regarding plans for some more milestones etc.

ReplyQuote
ollobrain
(@ollobrain)
Lieutenant Registered

looking forward to rapid and frequent updates

ReplyQuote