Notifications
Clear all

Havocstar ( Personal "Remake" of MOO2 )

Havocstar4x
(@havocstar4x)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

Hi! I'd like to announce my intention to create a "4x" similar to MOO2. I'd like to see who else is interested in such a project and if they would like to collaborate.

Some caveats:

1) There probably are as many half-finished MOO-like projects as there are finished rogue-likes. No promises that this one won't end up as another item on that pile.

2) To keep the scope of the project to a realistic level, I intend to just focus on functionality similar to what can be found in MOO2. However, contrary to the thread title I selected, this isn't what I consider a "Remake". The mechanics may not be 100% faithful to the inspiration. Certainly the UI will be different.

3) Due to obvious reasons, I will not be using any intellectual property from MOO2. This is not a remake, and I am not intending on infringing on any copyrights or trademarks. ( I'm expecting to allow for customization, if you have the skills and the original you may be able to embed stuff to your tastes. )

4) I'm expecting the first version to be Mac OS X only. Depending on how it comes out, I may port it to Windows.

5) There will be no multi-player (at least for the first version).

However, if the above doesn't bother you, and you'd like to help, I'd be more than happy to have you "on-board". Here is what I have in mind:

A ) The first version will be a "MOO-like", but a "sequel" may include novel features. I'm trying to ensure the schedule for the first version is one-year.

B ) The default setup of the game will not be related to MOO, but my personal goal is to make it play like MOO2(*) and you will hopefully be able to customize it to be very similar or radically different, if that is your own personal taste.

C ) Development will be in C/C++, if I finish it, I'll be happy to share for free to anyone interested, and I may release the source as Open Source.

Feel free to comment/support/question in this thread, or to me directly if you wish.

Thanks!!!

(*) Yes, even though I slobber over MOO2 in DOSBox and play it regularly, I sometimes get tired of some of the bugs/design-flaws and often wish for a slightly different style of play/mechanics. This is the catalyst for this project.

voxel
(@voxel)
Petty Officer Registered

What kind of help are you looking for? Art 2D/3D, audio, extra coding pals?

ReplyQuote
zer0sum
(@zer0sum)
Crewman Registered

Definitely try to find a game engine so you don't have to reinvent the wheel on a lot of stuff. Also make sure to have a complete design doc before you code...it will save a lot of headaches.

ReplyQuote
Havocstar4x
(@havocstar4x)
Crewman Registered
Topic starter  

What kind of help are you looking for? Art 2D/3D, audio, extra coding pals?

Anyone is welcome actually (providing they are aware of my caveats and goal).   I can manage some "acceptable" graphics and music on my own, but I wouldn't refuse any help there. Sound effects are welcome, I plan to just include "unencumbered" generic sfx I can scrabble together.  If all goes well, the graphics/sound/music will be customizable (maybe as "Sets"), so I'm hoping to see other people's customizations.   The game will be 2D.   Anyone with C/C++ skills are welcome too if they are interested.  And of course, moral support is always appreciated!

Definitely try to find a game engine so you don't have to reinvent the wheel on a lot of stuff. Also make sure to have a complete design doc before you code...it will save a lot of headaches.

Ah, two good points, thanks!   In terms of design docs, mine will be pretty light, this is just a personal project.  As for game engines, the initial version is just a small effort ... so the closest area that could possibly need a full-blown game engine would be the space/tactical battle part.  However, if you played the oldschool 2D 4x games before, you'll know there is not much to worry about in terms of engine functionality.  I'm not going to get fancy with 3D or shaders, or even involved special effects.  So most likely I won't need one at all, and if I do, there are plenty of sprite libraries around so I think I got that covered.

If my "first version" actually goes well, then for the "sequel" I'm sure I'll have to do a lot more prep work and lean on a lot more third-party components (esp. since I anticipate the second iteration to be cross-platform, etc ).

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!  I'm looking forward to more and providing real updates in the future (now the hard part, actually doing!  ;P  )

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I must have overlooked this project, Hi Havocstar4x and I hope you do complete this project and do bring it to windows eventually. If you do need any forum space for the project just let me know. And look forward to reading about your progress.

ReplyQuote