Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

And the weapons overhaul preview - with soundtrack by AC/DC 😀

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

More Lasers!!!   Nice one Stormprooter. Music was a perfect choice, perhaps when your testing the missiles may I suggest you use "Heatseeker" ? Would be awesome if it were possible to easily add custom music to the game.

ReplyQuote
Gunbladelad
(@gunbladelad)
Master Chief Registered

It is possible to add custom music to the game - all you essentially need to do is encode the music to the same format and give them the relevant names.  In fact there's a couple of mods out there that do just that - the hidamri sound mod (tweaks the sound effects & so on) and the Metroid Prime music mod (replaces the ingame music)

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

It is possible to add custom music to the game - all you essentially need to do is encode the music to the same format and give them the relevant names.  In fact there's a couple of mods out there that do just that - the hidamri sound mod (tweaks the sound effects & so on) and the Metroid Prime music mod (replaces the ingame music)

Yep, it's do-able, but time-consuming. It would be very low on the list of things to do for me. The in-game music already in Freelancer is actually very good, and it's not quite as straightforward to think about adding custom music - within the game, each musical piece has a context and purpose - the three main categroies are ambient, danger and battle, there are a few others for specific encounters as well. In my mod, I have replicated usage of these themes, but mixed them up a bit, but when in battle you will get batlle music, and the same goes for the other categories. This means the music you get at any point during play fits your current situation.

That's not to say I will not add other music - but it will need to fit and make sense within the context of where and when it's heard in game. And that means it needs to be carefully thought out, planned and tested - all of which takes time.

ReplyQuote
Gunbladelad
(@gunbladelad)
Master Chief Registered

Not to worry, I was mostly answering Geraldine's comment about custom music.

I'm currently using the Metroid Prime music mod with Mostly Harmless anyway.  Whoever put it together certainly picked the music well for the situations they come up in.

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

Other mods that change music, fonts, the HUD and other generic things should generally be compatible with my mod (but I cannot guarantee it :D). The ones that won't work are those that change ships, weapons, equipment, systems and things like that.

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

ECM & Torpedo effects update

And my original battle video which youtube didn't like because of the music  (Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd) .... skip to 2:45 for all the action

http://www.moddb.com/mods/freelancer-mostly-harmless/videos/flmhwepspreviewfreebird

ReplyQuote
Gunbladelad
(@gunbladelad)
Master Chief Registered

I really like the new ECM looks

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

I really like the new ECM looks

Good, I spent 4 hours trying out various available effects, and finally picked that one 😀

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

You picked well there Stormprooter, its a nice effect! Also good to see the Police are as crazy mad as ever. Now that is a hallmark of Elite!

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

You picked well there Stormprooter, its a nice effect! Also good to see the Police are as crazy mad as ever. Now that is a hallmark of Elite!

Yeah, they seem to like their new weapons, and I've got them on 'easy' mode at the moment 😀

To be fair, the whole weapons damage and shield/hull strength balancing is still yet to be done - I'm currently writing some code that will analyse all the stats and help me find a decent balance across the board. The mod has gone from 8 different weapons to about 35 including variants.

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

I present the Ingram ST99He4 "Furnace" Plasma Accelerator 😀 One of the new weapons for my mod.

Apologies in advance to anyone in Germany, youtube has gone and blocked access because of the music I added to the video - sorry, it tends to be a lottery when doing this. Alternate video here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/freelancer-mostly-harmless/videos/ingram-st99he4-furnace-plasma-accelerator

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Hot stuff!

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

Dotting the 'i's and crossing the 't's.

I have found a way to make the bounty system from the original Elite game work in Freelancer: Mostly Harmless. When you destroy any outlaw ship (including Thargoids) they will drop an Outlaw Ship Ident Chip which you can tractor in and sell at any commodity trader. The Ident chips take up no cargo space, so you can collect as many as you like.

There is one more (just one more, honest!) feature I want to add before doing a release. This being when you destroy another ship, there is a chance you will get to tractor in some of their weapons. This mechanic will allow players who are bold enough to get hold of Thargoid weapons - The Thargoid Laser, Thargoid Turret and Thargoid ECM System. Thargoid weapons deliver x1.5 damage compared to their military laser equivalents, but at almost zero power usage (so kind of the equivalent of Nomad weapons in vanilla Freelancer). The Thargoid ECM System gives 99% reliability in outfoxing homing missiles and torpedoes, and makes a rather 'spooky' effect when used.

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

This video shows some of the new features.

New Engine Effects - Different classes of ship have their own engine effects

New ship explosion effects - Different classes of ship have their own explosions

Lance & Ferman LF8742PbW "Nailer" Rail Gun

Tyley-Feynman RC071 "BFG" Cannon

Lance & Ferman LF0181 "Sniffer" Homing Missile

Pirate Ident Chips - redeemable at any commodity trader (see end of video)

Last video for a while - I promise! 😀

Hopefully will be doing the release tomorrow - it's ready, I just need to package everything up and make sure the mod install works properly.

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

This video shows some of the new features.

Last video for a while - I promise! 😀

Boooooo!

Hopefully will be doing the release tomorrow - it's ready, I just need to package everything up and make sure the mod install works properly.

Yaaay!

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

Mod released

http://www.moddb.com/mods/freelancer-mostly-harmless/downloads/freelancer-mostly-harmless-03

And I couldn't resist doing another video - soundtrack by the Bee-Gees 😀

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Ahhh ahhh ahhh its out!

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

I'm going to be away from internet access until Monday morning, so I will not be able to help with any problems that may crop up until then.

Apart from any bug fixes required, I am going to take a short break as I have squeezed in about 120 hours work on this in my spare time during last 8 weeks.

But the next stage of development will commence in a few weeks time (probably start of September)

ReplyQuote
Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

You totally deserve a good rest after all that work Stromprooter, well done, bloody well done!   Oh! And I let the Frontier & the CIG forums know, so hopefully downloads aplenty!

ReplyQuote
Gunbladelad
(@gunbladelad)
Master Chief Registered

I'll have the server updated later with the new version.

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

Bugs found, and fixed - patch/full version uploaded to moddb.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/freelancer-mostly-harmless/downloads

ReplyQuote
Gunbladelad
(@gunbladelad)
Master Chief Registered

Sorry about the delay in getting the server back up - for some reason each time I've downloaded from Moddb, FLMM has reported that it's been corrupted.

Just about to download your latest update though.

ReplyQuote
Stormprooter
(@stormprooter)
Master Chief Registered

Sorry about the delay in getting the server back up - for some reason each time I've downloaded from Moddb, FLMM has reported that it's been corrupted.

Just about to download your latest update though.

Odd about the corruption. I use winrar to create a zip archive - normal compression. Then add the flmod extension (as per instrustions), and I've tested applying the mod via FLMM with no issues.

I seem to remember you had similar issues when I released 0.2.

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 7