Notifications
Clear all

The secret

numidianian
(@numidianian)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Just recently came up with this question, but I think a number of players asked the same question a lot of times. So...

Why did the nomads destroy the Solar System?

Any suggestions? What was so important to nomads about the humanity, that they brought their Sunslayer into our system? Maybe the developers mentioned the answer somewhere? It's a shame there is no contact information of the storywriter.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Why did the nomads destroy the Solar System?

To stop Egosoft from making any more X games.

Been a while since I played the game but I don't remember it where was it mentioned in the game. ❓

ReplyQuote
numidianian
(@numidianian)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

To stop Egosoft from making any more X games.

Don't put it that way. Egosoft makes very good space sims, the most realistic of all I know and they look great (though their SFX are pretty cheap). Of course it is boring a little, but still.

Been a while since I played the game but I don't remember it where was it mentioned in the game. ❓

In the original intro. Here, take a look:

I didn't watch it, actually. Want to do it in sequence after I finish Starlancer.
It is available on the Freelancer Bonus DVD, which contains a lot of interesting stuff.
Btw, the guy has a pretty good channel on youtube. I recommend watching his Freelancer - Sirius gameclip:

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

Interesting that's the first time I have seen that alternative intro from the bonus CD, anyone ever buy a copy of that. ❓

Well from the Nomads point of view they probably thought it was better to wipe out a dangerous bunch of monkeys with access to high power weaponry and star flight capable ships.

But I bet the deves changed it because they were thinking about sequels and they may have wanted to include the sol system in Freelancer 2.

ReplyQuote
numidianian
(@numidianian)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Interesting that's the first time I have seen that alternative intro from the bonus CD, anyone ever buy a copy of that. ❓

I haven't ever seen any bonus CD or DVD in my hometown. ):

Well from the Nomads point of view they probably thought it was better to wipe out a dangerous bunch of monkeys with access to high power weaponry and star flight capable ships.

Strangely, but I thought about it too. But why didn't they blew up the colonists' star systems? And what was the aim of the nomads concerning the humanity in Sirius sector at all? I just thought they ver xenophobes.

But I bet the deves changed it because they were thinking about sequels and they may have wanted to include the sol system in Freelancer 2.

Actually, no. Here are the developers' lines on the Bonus DVD, concernign the shortened intro:

This was shown at the 2000 Computer Game Developer's Conference (along with in-game footage, some of which ended up in the 2001 E3 trailer) to rapturous applause. The importance of the Nomads that is inferred from their role in this intro caused concern for us, as it warrants an early introduction to Nomads in the story. The intro movie was completely rendered before the rest of Freelancer's story had been put together. Over time, we decided that introducing the Nomads later in the game was a better idea, and so we "removed" them from the intro - which is why we have an "Original" intro and a "Release" intro.

Damn it, I would give my kidney for knowing the storyline of Freelancer 2.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

I haven't ever seen any bonus CD or DVD in my hometown. ):

I just wondering if only every sold in the U.S.

Strangely, but I thought about it too. But why didn't they blew up the colonists' star systems? And what was the aim of the nomads concerning the humanity in Sirius sector at all? I just thought they ver xenophobes.

You know the old saying 'Attack is the best form of defense'

ReplyQuote
JackArcher
(@jackarcher)
Crewman Registered

My two cents on the Nomads

They where left behind by the Dom'Kavash to "take care" of the Siruis Sector while they went on a nice little trip somewhere (if you know where, please let me know, I dont believe it is ever addressed as an issue). In my veiw the Nomads propably took Notice of the VERY extended conflict that had been happening in the Solar System and decided "Hey, this race here can maintain an extended full scale military conflict for an extreme amount of time. They probably thought something along the lines of "I Dont think the Dom'Kavash Would Like that, we better remove them." And thus Sol goes boom. From there, they may, or may not have noticed the sleeper ships leave. If they did not they may have decieded to keep a closer eye on the area directly surrounding the Solar system. Much like the way oyou might watch a cut or blister for infection. As a result Sirius prospered, while the cats away the mice will play afterall. Once the nomads finally took notice of Sirius they didnt really have the power for a direct intervention anymore. Which, on a Side note, means that the Human race had reached a similar Military/Economical Point the the Dom Kavash must have. Anyway, Continuing, They then tried to use more subtle means of destruction, manipulating us into killing ourselves off so that they could come in and clean up the mess.

Well... Anyway... Yeah, that's my thoughts.

Jack

ReplyQuote
Gunbladelad
(@gunbladelad)
Master Chief Registered

I know it's been a long time coming, but I believe that the Dam K'Vosh left the Nomads in the Sirius sector to hibernate then grow at their own pace, but created others of the same (or related) species in other areas of space.

If memory serves me correctly, a Rheinland exphidition is the first to encounter Nomads - albeit in a sort of larval stage which were able to parasitically infest human hosts - alerting them to the presence of humans within Sirius.  Prior to this I believe the Nomads and humans had been spreading within different sections of the Sirius sector - thus never encountering each other.

As for the Nomad that destroys Sol in the introduction, it may well have been sent by the Dam K'Vosh to elimiate a potentially dangerous species before their war could extend outside their own solar system - albeit missing the sleeper ships which escaped before the arrival of the sunslayer.

ReplyQuote
Gunbladelad
(@gunbladelad)
Master Chief Registered

On a slightly related note, the other day I did find a legitimate copy of the Bonus CD & DVD in a local charity shop for 50 pence.

Vvl3Xyem.jpg?1

A very nice find for myself - I've had access to the DVD files before through "other" means in the past - but I'm quite happy to have the real thing now.

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)

On a slightly related note, the other day I did find a legitimate copy of the Bonus CD & DVD in a local charity shop for 50 pence.

Vvl3Xyem.jpg?1

A very nice find for myself - I've had access to the DVD files before through "other" means in the past - but I'm quite happy to have the real thing now.

Nice find 😎 likewise it the first time I have ever seen the real disk.

ReplyQuote