3D models made real

Notifications
Clear all

3D models made real

Axeman3d
(@axeman3d)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

I've posted this on a couple of Elite forums, so I thought I might spread the word here as well as there's quite a few modelers here as well.

If you're not aware of a technology called 3D printing, it's kind of an offshoot of CNC milling machines and it allows the rapid creation of models in various materials by simply feeding the data into a machine and setting it going. In short, you give the machine your CGI model and in a few hours, you have the real thing sitting in front of you in your choice of material.

It's now reached the stage where anyone with 3D skills and the right settings can upload their model and have it made. The company I use is Shapeways, and they allow you to directly upload your file to their site then order it in the size and material you want. They will print it and ship worldwide within 10 days, and even allow you to sell you designs to others who might want a model too. Here's my latest batch of small models...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/axeman3d/sets/72157624284027744/

I made the small Cobra to test the new red material, and the guitar knobs were also printed in it to test their fitment on a real guitar. The stand on the Cobra is too thin on the underside so I'll need to thicken it up a bit before anyone buys it. The star trek ship was designed by a friend of mine, and I had it printed in a new material called Alumide to test how that looked, but it cant take fine detail and is a bit of a disappointment.

It's not cheap, you are charged by model volume rather than size so you have to make everything hollow to save cash and weight, but it is immensely satisfying to see your own designs made real. I plan to make a larger model for myself, and see if I cant get the hang of full colour printing, which will print a complete model as you see it in the game. If you make 3D models, you want to try this out and get something made.

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator

Nice model of the Cobra,I been reading the post on the Frontier forum about this.

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I didn't know they had companies that did that sort of thing, I have seen those paper folding projects on the web like on WCCIC. Axeman what is an average price you would pay for a model like in your pics?

ReplyQuote
Axeman3d
(@axeman3d)
Petty Officer Registered
Topic starter  

Visit www.shapeways.com and you can browse all the available models and see. They are not very cheap, but it does mean you can make your own real model of your own design. The price depends on the material you select (anything from sandstone, glass, plastic or metals) and how much volume is used to make the model. It means in order to keep the price down you have to make them as light and hollow as you can, which can be a challenge.

The little Cobra in the picture costs about $10 delivered to the door, but they have a minimum spend of $20 on orders, which is why I also ordered the $5 guitar knobs as well. A large model of it might cost 50 bucks or more.

ReplyQuote