Anti-matter Breakth...

Notifications
Clear all

Anti-matter Breakthrough

DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

Well they say it's a breakthrough but I agree with the other scientist that say's 'Don't hold your breath'. I think all of us reading this post will be dead by the time we have any anti-matter propulsion system. I mean 1/10 of a sec, come on.

Article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372994,00.asp

Quote:

Scientists at CERN, the research facility that's home to the Large Hadron Collider, claim to have successfully created and stored antimatter in greater quantities and for longer times than ever before.

Researchers created 38 atoms of antihydrogen – more than ever has been produced at one time before and were able to keep the atoms stable enough to last one tenth of a second before they annihilated themselves (antimatter and matter destroy each other the moment they come into contact with each other). Since those first experiments, the team claims to have held antiatoms for even longer, though they weren't specific of the duration.

While scientists have been able to create particles of antimatter for decades, they had previously only been able to produce a few particles that would almost instantly destroy themselves.

"This is the first major step in a long journey," Michio Kaku, physicist and author of Physics of the Impossible, told PCMag. "Eventually, we may go to the stars."

For now, scientists are interested in producing antimatter in these relatively large quantities because it could lend insight into fundamental physical laws. It's generally believed in the scientific community that at the universe's creation, both matter and antimatter existed but not in the same quantity, so when the two annihilated each other, only matter remained. That could be because antimatter behaves differently than the regular variety.

"It's a fundamental tenet of physics that antimatter and matter behave very similarly although not exactly," said Lawrence Krauss, physicist and author of The Physics of Star Trek, in an interview. "And in order to really test that, you need anti-atoms. Being able to test the properties of antimatter at a whole new level of precision is obviously important."

Further into the future, Kaku believes we may be able to use antimatter as the "ultimate rocket fuel," since it's 100 percent efficient – all of the mass is converted to energy. By contrast, thermonuclear bombs only use about 1 percent.

"One of the main uses of antimatter would be a starship," said Kaku "Because you want concentrated energy. And you can't get more concentrated than antimatter."

Producing large quantities of antimatter is impossible today, Kaku admits. But with the right developments, he thinks it could become a reality: "These machines were not specifically designed to create antimatter. These machines are all-purpose machines. But with time, price goes down, mass production, better technology, and dedicated machines we could reduce costs considerably."

Krauss isn't as bullish as Kaku on the long-term applications of antimatter. Even though he is the author of The Physics of Star Trek, Krauss had just one thing to say when asked about antimatter-powered starships.

"Don't hold your breath."

Geraldine
(@geraldine)
Rear Admiral Registered

Krauss is known as a bit of a nay sayer where future developments are concerned. I respect his opinion, but I think it will be possible and much sooner than we think, as the basic theoretical framework is in place. The problem is now moving evermore into the realms of electrical engineering where establishing a safe containment vessel for the antimatter is the main goal because the whole procedure is useless unless we can store the atoms indefinitely. To be totally safe I would prefer if it was done off-world. Having said that, you still need people like Krauss around because they help to keep everyone involved in such a program on their toes. 😉

ReplyQuote
RedChico
(@redchico)
Petty Officer Registered

Engage.

engage.jpg

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin
Topic starter  

I'm a little rusty on my ant-matter drive systems, but if I remember correctly for this to happen they will have to keep the atoms from destroying themselves to provide the power needed.

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)
Warrant Officer Registered

Storing 38 particles for a tenth of a second may not sound like much, but it is a significant advancement over previous experiments. Also, the technology used is essentially the same used by starship Enterprise.

If other Star Trek "inventions" prove equally accurate, then we should have antimatter warp drive engines in a couple of hundred years. 😉

On a slightly more serious note, I am super-curious about whether we will ever be able to break the speed of light. I have a suspicion that we will, because the only thing currently holding us back is math. And math continues to evolve fairly rapidly.

It is already too late for Planet Earth, I fear. For the first four billion years, Earth had less than a billion people. Now we have nearly 8 billion, half of which were born in the last 50 years.

Global warming, conflict over rapidly decreasing oil reserves, and the Recession are just the tip of the iceberg. We have too many people, and the planet cannot support them.

So, to me, space travel is inevitable... it is either that or extinction. Or maybe a post-apocalyptic Mad Max or Planet of the Apes scenario. Maybe Soylent Green before things get that far. But my money is on space travel.

The only remaining question is whether we will reach the stars anytime soon, or whether we will fumble around our own Solar System for a few centuries before we manage to find other habitable planets.

Will it be a Farscape future or a Firefly future? That is the question! 🙂

ReplyQuote
CaptainKal
(@captainkal)
Commander Registered

Quote:
because the only thing currently holding us back is math

Not math. Physics and cosmology.

ReplyQuote
Bullwinkle
(@bullwinkle)
Warrant Officer Registered

CaptainKal wrote:
Quote:
because the only thing currently holding us back is math

Not math. Physics and cosmology.

Not measurable physics, but theoretical physics, which is just math. Cosmology is just math as well.

My point is that everything we know about the speed of light (as a barrier) is based on guesswork, no matter how educated those guesses may be. We won't really know what the physics are, for certain, until we can accelerate instruments close to that speed. That is decades away.

ReplyQuote