Notifications
Clear all

Bot report

Pinback
(@pinback)
99 Star General Site Moderator
Topic starter  

Found this some what hilarious as a bot had attempted to post about sneeze guards, not once but twice. Can't for the life of me see the connection between SSC and a sneeze guard. 🤣 

This topic was modified 3 years ago by Pinback

Gaius Konstantine
(@gaius-konstantine)
Warrant Officer Reporter

Posted by: @pinback

Found this some what hilarious as a bot had attempted to post about sneeze guards, not once but twice. Can't for the life of me see the connection between SSC and a sneeze guard. 🤣 

Is it a space sneeze guard? 😜 

Pinback liked
ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gaius-konstantine

Is it a space sneeze guard? 😜 

Or is it, in "space no one can hear you sneeze". 🤣 

ReplyQuote
DarkOne
(@sscadmin)
Supreme Dark Emperor Admin

I have seen a lot of funny spammer posts throughout the years and just wonder why here? I doubt highly your target audience is here haha, yeah I know the whole thing about SEO and the more links the more exposure.... but google now ranks the quality of the link (meaning are they indeed similar content to the linked site).

Maybe I should become a SSC spammer haha

I am just glad we haven't gotten any of the xxx spam that's plaguing some sites.

I used to like my registration question mod that was with an old SSC site we had.... that mod kept so many unwanted out 🙂 All I did was ask obvious scifi questions that any real fan of scifi would know and that prevented so many spammers from accessing the site. I haven't found another version of that mod unfortunately.

Found this some what hilarious as a bot had attempted to post about sneeze guards, not once but twice. Can't for the life of me see the connection between SSC and a sneeze guard.

But they should really try to market a sneeze cleaner for the inside of a space helmet then I think I would allow it 😉

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

Posted by: @sscadmin

I am just glad we haven't gotten any of the xxx spam that's plaguing some sites.

'Twas this type of spam which forced us (the Oolite forum) to enable first post approval. I've been around a bit, but as a Mod/Admin there, I've seen some stuff that shocked even me! There's been some comical stuff too - one memorable post simply said "Please delete me!"

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

The other one we seem to get a lot of are ones in foreign languages, which again make no sense. 🤣  

ReplyQuote
Cody
 Cody
(@cody)
Captain Registered

The other one we seem to get a lot of are ones in foreign languages

Yeah, we get plenty of those - Russian is popular. Lately, we're seeing an abundance of crawlers and scrapers. A certain The Knowledge AI has oodles of bots (as guests), as does AhrefsBot, all reporting back to somewhere - it verges on being malware, and can use a lot of bandwidth. If Oolite was an active forum, as it once was, it'd be a problem, but sadly we're pretty quiet these days.

Oolite Naval Attaché

ReplyQuote
Pinback
(@pinback)
Topic starter  

Great one this morning entitled "let you know if your spouse is cheating on you". 🤣  

ReplyQuote